Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Equipment shops seem to become practically useless past the 2nd island. It's all event gear from then on if you want the best stats.

Also, the story quests have tiny health pools compared to the Vortex. Really, only the major bosses are a risk, in that they're still capable of packing a punch despite their health. I took the end of Zoldaad part 1 a bit too leniently and got 3 units killed as a result, even though I went in with my best party. Turns out Graviga is actually a Darkness element spell and will do 150% of your max HP if you have Carbuncle equipped.

EDIT: Physical AoEs on the arena are just not feasible for me. Gilgamesh gets pounded by Lightning, Luneth or Chizuru hitting him for 2000 HP worth of counters, Noctis happily heals 1600 HP, Dark Fina smashes the entire party, and more often not I'm getting all these counters despite missing half of the enemy units! Is there no accuracy accessory or ability?

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's some quests and exploration chests that give recipies for decent gear. There's the Fire Rod recipe you can get on the third island to give mages a weapon, there's the Black Belt Gi on the second for armor that gives attack, and the Muscle Belt to give units some extra HP+10%. There's also Tiger Masks for a bit more ATK over Green Berets but they need fire megacrysts to craft and Hero Rings are more important to craft using those first.

But yeah, after the third island it's all the same poo poo. Green Berets is probably the last thing worth buying in stores, everything else is repeats or trash like Element Resist +5% accessories.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Yea I have the Muscle belt and fire rods.

What's the best way to tackle this Ariana thing? Run the 3 energy one over and over to infinity or does the 5 or 8 offer better spoils? Might as well try to get everything I can so she doesn't get stuck forever at 5*...she seems "decent"

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

hagie posted:

Yea I have the Muscle belt and fire rods.

What's the best way to tackle this Ariana thing? Run the 3 energy one over and over to infinity or does the 5 or 8 offer better spoils? Might as well try to get everything I can so she doesn't get stuck forever at 5*...she seems "decent"

Do the 13 NRG until you have all the music notes your need for her gear and then the beginning one for awakening mats.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the 3 energy battle in the ariana event has by far the best ratio of drop chances to energy spent if you're going for awakening items. you cant get musical notes from it at all but the hardest fight is pretty good for experience and the cactaur, i just got the mats for awakening and then got the notes for all the gear, although i see i should be crafting another microphone because mise

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
poo poo...I had a hard time with the 11nrg boss. Kept getting hammered with silence. Get it taken off and next round AoE silenced again.

Edit: No wait that was the 13 nrg one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

hagie posted:

poo poo...I had a hard time with the 11nrg boss. Kept getting hammered with silence. Get it taken off and next round AoE silenced again.

Edit: No wait that was the 13 nrg one.

600 ATK Noctis friend can solo the boss. Attack with whatever, heal when needed, boss never does enough damage to threaten him. Dead in a couple rounds. All his stuff is abilities so it can't be silenced.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

PaybackJack posted:

600 ATK Noctis friend can solo the boss. Attack with whatever, heal when needed, boss never does enough damage to threaten him. Dead in a couple rounds. All his stuff is abilities so it can't be silenced.

Speaking of I just cleared out some 15 plus day inactives from my friends list so if any needs more nocti mine comes in at 617 Atk. Not the greatest but dual wield goes a long way with more chances of status effects. I accept any and all goons regardless of level or friend unit so ask away!

Friend Id 820 471 103

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HGH posted:

EDIT: Physical AoEs on the arena are just not feasible for me. Gilgamesh gets pounded by Lightning, Luneth or Chizuru hitting him for 2000 HP worth of counters, Noctis happily heals 1600 HP, Dark Fina smashes the entire party, and more often not I'm getting all these counters despite missing half of the enemy units! Is there no accuracy accessory or ability?

Accuracy doesn't mean poo poo when some units (Chizuru, Lightning) just have a passive skill that lets them flat out avoid some number of physical attacks at random. Part of the reason that mages are king of the arena is because there's nothing quite like that for spells.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sitting on 98 tickets and just over 20k Lapis now. Please hurry the gently caress up with the Orlandu banner so I can get this crushing disappointment done with. :emo:

Needed 3 makeup for the 6* Ariana, didn't get any from half a dozen 13NRG runs, decided to do the first stage... 3 makeup drops. Probably never going to use her since Rydia's more useful for Meteor chains in the arena, even with dualcast disabled.

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
What do I have to do to get my dick bicyclist? I cleared the first stage (all of them actually) of the event but she is not in my unit list. There was no crystal or notification of getting her either. I hate her but I still want my exclusive unit >:(

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

insideoutside posted:

What do I have to do to get my dick bicyclist? I cleared the first stage (all of them actually) of the event but she is not in my unit list. There was no crystal or notification of getting her either. I hate her but I still want my exclusive unit >:(

Check the letter icon on the front page. Mission rewards get sent to your inbox.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

insideoutside posted:

Yeah I almost missed that I already had her since I ran the whole thing at once and had a bunch a lapis rewards in there to. You get her after completing the first stage I think in your inbox

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I ran out of units to level so now I'm leveling Nichol and Fina. I'm thinking about leveling up Exdeath #5. What is wrong with me?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The game forces you to use Nichol's max 4 star skill to get 10 Lapis in one of the quests so hey! A worthy investment.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Yea, that's pretty much the only reason I was motivated to even do that. I even thought about putting him up as my friend unit so other people won't have to do the same poo poo for the 10 lapis. Think that's worth doing over my lovely Jack that I doubt anyone uses?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

hamsystem posted:

Do the 13 NRG until you have all the music notes your need for her gear and then the beginning one for awakening mats.

The eleven energy one is nearly as good as the thirteen energy one, in terms of Musical Note drops. Occasionally it will only five one. Most of the time it gives two like the thirteen energy one.

The Arena is just fine as usual this week. :) Two Lightnings, Refia (singlecast), Cecil, and Bartz with a Shining Splendor and Golem Staff constantly Gale Barraging continue to win by turn three.

Though, I ran into a guy named "cho" with five Noctii who were somehow completely unable to be hit... lasted till round ten with everyone up and healthy, but that guy did more damage than me so...

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Oh hey I ran into that cho dude today too. Five perfect dodging idiot son Noctii slowly killing off my team with weak AI attacks.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Everyone, myself included is running teams with high dodge. I think mage teams are still good this week even with dual cast disabled. Yea you won't one shot teams but it won't be as frustrating as getting misses all the time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Decided to focus on the Ariana event, surprisingly everything went pretty quickly. My Dangerous Ariana with Dual Wield, Ultima , MAG +30% and MAG +10%

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Noctis, 3 Exdeath and Cecil have been my Arena party since I pulled Noctis, and it's still very rare for me to go to turn 3. Blizzard Flask is still overpowered, and is usually the only reason I will ever lose a match.

While going through the arena battles I've been thinking about the probability that any given opponent is a whale based on their presented units. Obviously anyone with five base-5* units is a whale, the probability of having that many base-5* on the F2P limit of lapis and tickets is tiny. The more interesting cases are in the middle.

Let's assume every arena party contains all of a player's base-5* units. Let's assume a whale is someone who has spent > $500 on this game. About the only ones that wouldn't be played are Demon Rain (I don't use mine) and maybe Dark Cecil (though plenty of people use him). Then I would assign the following estimates to that player being a whale based on the number of DIFFERENT base-5*s:

5: 100%
4: 99.99%
3: 95%
2: 30%
1: 0%
0: 0%

Basically at this point in the game almost everyone has at least one base-5* (sorry, I know some fellow goons don't yet, goondolences). Either you've been F2P from the beginning and got one along the way (like me) or you rerolled during one of the better unit banners or switched to an alt account that pulled one. So at this point having up to 3 base-5* units for F2P folks is reasonable. (Math: assume 15 pulls on every banner with a base-5* unit, a 0.5% chance of getting the featured 5* and a 0.1% of getting an off banner 5* [remaining 0.4% of the 1% rainbows being a troll], and 11 banners with a base-5* so far. That gives 0.994^15=0.89 for P(not pulling a base-5* per banner), and 0.89^11=0.29 P(not ever pulling a base-5* as F2P))

However, if you have ONLY one base-5*, I can be certain that you aren't a whale because you haven't spent enough money to be considered a whale. If you had spent enough money to be a whale, you'd have more than one base-5*.

With 2 different base-5* units it's still considerably more likely you're F2P. However, then lower the player's rank, the more likely that player is a whale or super lucky alt account.

With 3 different base-5* units, there are some lucky F2P players out there, but most people with that many base-5* have spent the money to get them.

I am very jealous of those select few F2P players who've pulled 4 different base-5* units, may your luck be as plentiful in the opposite direction.

The case of having more than one of the same base-5* changes things. Even hoarding every possible lapis and ticket for a single banner, the chances of getting two of the same base-5* is also small, about 5%, and most F2P stop pulling once they get to the first base-5*. (Math: assume 150 pulls, 0.5% chance of getting featured base-5*; then P(no base-5*)=0.995^150=0.4714 and P(only one base-5*)=0.995^149+0.005=0.4788, so P(two or more base-5*)=1-(0.4714+0.4788)=0.0498) CAPT. Rainbow, consider yourself lucky, but suspect.

Having two of one base-5* unit and one of another is obviously even more unlikely. A couple of F2P players have probably pulled it off, but more likely they're a whale.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Tipme posted:

Everyone, myself included is running teams with high dodge. I think mage teams are still good this week even with dual cast disabled. Yea you won't one shot teams but it won't be as frustrating as getting misses all the time.

4 ExDeath is still working strong against most teams. There's usually a few stragglers left standing which CoD picks off with Barrage+Golem Staff.

What will be bad is next week when Black Magic is banned. That's the worst because then it's nothing but the whales that don't need to spend 10 minutes every battle to win.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Yea, that's pretty much the only reason I was motivated to even do that. I even thought about putting him up as my friend unit so other people won't have to do the same poo poo for the 10 lapis. Think that's worth doing over my lovely Jack that I doubt anyone uses?

I just did this actually. My friend unit is Nichol with Impenetrable Stance for the mission. Ign is Buttlord.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i suppose i could just be outrageously unlucky since i've been playing since soft launch and only got a single rainbow crystal which was not a base 5* but unless literally everyone rerolls and has made an account after lightning came out i dunno how accurate it is to say most f2p have a base 5*

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

I just did this actually. My friend unit is Nichol with Impenetrable Stance for the mission. Ign is Buttlord.

Hey, we're friends! (IGN: okeydoke) But I still see your Gilgamesh up. [edit: Now I see him]

PaybackJack posted:

4 ExDeath is still working strong against most teams. There's usually a few stragglers left standing which CoD picks off with Barrage+Golem Staff.

What will be bad is next week when Black Magic is banned. That's the worst because then it's nothing but the whales that don't need to spend 10 minutes every battle to win.

Wait, what's the difference between DC and BM bans? Aren't you just using Wicked Light anyway?

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 20, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

i suppose i could just be outrageously unlucky since i've been playing since soft launch and only got a single rainbow crystal which was not a base 5* but unless literally everyone rerolls and has made an account after lightning came out i dunno how accurate it is to say most f2p have a base 5*

I've pulled 4 rainbows and only 1 was a base 5 which was Lightning on Luneth's banner. My first was a Hayate before there were base 5s, and the other two were within the past month, also neither of which was a base 5.

I dropped whale levels of money during November rolling for Luneth, Elsa and Gilgamesh with nothing to show for it, as the 1 rainbow I did pull, the Lightning, was from a daily.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Hey, we're friends! (IGN: okeydoke) But I still see your Gilgamesh up.

Wait, what's the difference between DC and BM bans? Aren't you just using Wicked Light anyway?

Cecil resists Light, so he takes a million years to kill.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Not just you, bud. I've been playing from the start and my only 5* crystal was Amarant. I'm looking forward to unloading on the Orlandu event with probability on my side. And yes, I know it doesn't work that way but give me something to hope for.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Cecil resists Light, so he takes a million years to kill.

Right, but he's completely harmless. I'd rather 1-round all the DDs and cleanup Cecil/Refia.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Captaindirtnap posted:

Not just you, bud. I've been playing from the start and my only 5* crystal was Amarant. I'm looking forward to unloading on the Orlandu event with probability on my side. And yes, I know it doesn't work that way but give me something to hope for.

Yeah, I've fought oodles of arena teams with no base 5*s (going for the low-hanging fruit since I don't have one either). I think Benthalus is way overestimating how many people have them.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

McSpankWich posted:

Just finished the missions thanks to your Nichol! Thanks dude, you saved me having to level Nichol up another 50 levels.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Black Magic is banned next week?

Well poo poo

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Glad I pulled a 2nd chiz if there no bm. Let's see maybe noctis 2 chiz, a cod and probably Refia to embolden and heal. Can't wait to run into teams composed of nothing but Luneths lightnings and nocti.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
4 5* base F2P checking in. My current arena team is Dark Fina, Lightning x2, ExD x2. Even without double cast 90% of teams has everyone die in one turn. Unless 2 of my guys get killed (or stoned or whatever) on the first turn I win. Sorry 5* base Dracwell, you suck.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KDdidit posted:

4 5* base F2P checking in. My current arena team is Dark Fina, Lightning x2, ExD x2. Even without double cast 90% of teams has everyone die in one turn. Unless 2 of my guys get killed (or stoned or whatever) on the first turn I win. Sorry 5* base Dracwell, you suck.

May you be blessed with only Bediles in your future pulls.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I have Dark Cecil and Ramza for Base 5's, the latter being kinda pointless for Arena if Black Magic is donezo.

Seems Chiz and Call of Duty must hear the call of duty

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been playing for a few months now, F2P, rolled around 60 or 70 times. One 5* base so far (Lightning). Got her off-banner, too, which was a pretty big surprise.

Benthalus posted:

May you be blessed with only Bediles in your future pulls.

You know, it's funny - I have yet to get a single Bedile.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Just finished the missions thanks to your Nichol! Thanks dude, you saved me having to level Nichol up another 50 levels.

I'm going to leave him up as my friend unit for the weekend to give you nerds a chance to do this mission. Plus it's not like there's anything super challenging going on right now that my Greg would be better anyway. Plus even if there was there are better options. Hell, maybe I'll put Locke back up afterwards lol.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I ran in to a White Knight Noel x2 team earlier and I thought for sure I was going to get murdered on their counters since I couldn't one-round them. Thankfully my shiva-using Exdeath barely lived (as did cecil) and I got to go first on round 2 and won since the Noels had under 999hp left. Getting hit with 5 counters from a pair of Noels is pretty savage though.

Mr. Swoon posted:

Oh hey I ran into that cho dude today too. Five perfect dodging idiot son Noctii slowly killing off my team with weak AI attacks.

Yet another reason magic teams are the best, especially once we get 5 star Shantotto and her ridiculous* aero spell. I run 3 Exdeath, Cecil, and Rydia right now but I'll drop Rydia and maybe even Cecil once Shantotto's upgrade comes out.

* 250% AoE 12 Hit Wind Magic Attack & AoE 3 Turn -50% Wind Resist. She also gets dualcast black magic and yes she can max chain by herself.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Benthalus posted:

Noctis, 3 Exdeath and Cecil have been my Arena party since I pulled Noctis, and it's still very rare for me to go to turn 3. Blizzard Flask is still overpowered, and is usually the only reason I will ever lose a match.

While going through the arena battles I've been thinking about the probability that any given opponent is a whale based on their presented units. Obviously anyone with five base-5* units is a whale, the probability of having that many base-5* on the F2P limit of lapis and tickets is tiny. The more interesting cases are in the middle.

Let's assume every arena party contains all of a player's base-5* units. Let's assume a whale is someone who has spent > $500 on this game. About the only ones that wouldn't be played are Demon Rain (I don't use mine) and maybe Dark Cecil (though plenty of people use him). Then I would assign the following estimates to that player being a whale based on the number of DIFFERENT base-5*s:

5: 100%
4: 99.99%
3: 95%
2: 30%
1: 0%
0: 0%

Basically at this point in the game almost everyone has at least one base-5* (sorry, I know some fellow goons don't yet, goondolences). Either you've been F2P from the beginning and got one along the way (like me) or you rerolled during one of the better unit banners or switched to an alt account that pulled one. So at this point having up to 3 base-5* units for F2P folks is reasonable. (Math: assume 15 pulls on every banner with a base-5* unit, a 0.5% chance of getting the featured 5* and a 0.1% of getting an off banner 5* [remaining 0.4% of the 1% rainbows being a troll], and 11 banners with a base-5* so far. That gives 0.994^15=0.89 for P(not pulling a base-5* per banner), and 0.89^11=0.29 P(not ever pulling a base-5* as F2P))

However, if you have ONLY one base-5*, I can be certain that you aren't a whale because you haven't spent enough money to be considered a whale. If you had spent enough money to be a whale, you'd have more than one base-5*.

With 2 different base-5* units it's still considerably more likely you're F2P. However, then lower the player's rank, the more likely that player is a whale or super lucky alt account.

With 3 different base-5* units, there are some lucky F2P players out there, but most people with that many base-5* have spent the money to get them.

I am very jealous of those select few F2P players who've pulled 4 different base-5* units, may your luck be as plentiful in the opposite direction.

The case of having more than one of the same base-5* changes things. Even hoarding every possible lapis and ticket for a single banner, the chances of getting two of the same base-5* is also small, about 5%, and most F2P stop pulling once they get to the first base-5*. (Math: assume 150 pulls, 0.5% chance of getting featured base-5*; then P(no base-5*)=0.995^150=0.4714 and P(only one base-5*)=0.995^149+0.005=0.4788, so P(two or more base-5*)=1-(0.4714+0.4788)=0.0498) CAPT. Rainbow, consider yourself lucky, but suspect.

Having two of one base-5* unit and one of another is obviously even more unlikely. A couple of F2P players have probably pulled it off, but more likely they're a whale.

My two Lightnings are the only base-5 units I have outside of Maxwell, who is a reward unit, not a draw.

I have never drawn a rainbow crystal outside of those two.

Lightning literally struck twice that day. :shobon:

Tipme posted:

No, nothing hit this cho guy's units, not magic, not physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Shoenin posted:

Black Magic is banned next week?

Well poo poo

Don't quote me on that actually happening next week, but I remember last month that black magic was banned during one week. It seems like they're mixing up the order and rules all the time so there may not be a set rotation, but 'No Black Magic' is in the rotation and it's worse than 'No Dual Cast'.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Right, but he's completely harmless. I'd rather 1-round all the DDs and cleanup Cecil/Refia.

Win or Lose mostly depends on if the AI goes first and decides to use it's good abilities or gets lucky with Golem Staff procs.

My annoyance from the Arena now is based on how quickly I can blow through it and Cecil drags out the match an extra two or three rounds.

• Locked thread