Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

As an aside from forums drama...

While delivering some furniture to a friend last weekend I noticed a nice S10 parked off to the side. The engine is toast (over heated) and she either wants to sell it or have someone fix it depending on the price. Any idea what this would be worth based on this description? No rust, southern truck, automatic.

Think she said if she sold it as is she wanted $1k and a new engine is available for $800 from advance auto

We bought a 98 s10 with blown engine for $1500 with 46k actual miles. I would say that sounds reasonable. Its been a good little truck once we got another engine in there. Look for engines on car-part.com or craigslist. We picked up an engine from a local guy for $450. Claimed to have only 70000 miles on the engine but no way to really know if it was true or not. We know the engine is running well and it was only $450.

There's some hard lines on the back driver side of the block, fuel line, etc. that get tight to the firewall. Bolt those up before you get the engine bolted to transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I called a friend, he was also questioned. I guess they have no leads at all.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Something like 1/4ths of spousal murders are committed by the husband/boyfriend, so they do have a pretty solid lead. Weird how the husband is suggesting Random Comic Book Guy is the real killer hm?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Lawyer up?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

No reason to lawyer up if they're grasping at straws

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was absolutely not her husband. Her tale is pretty goddamned horrible and her choices lead her down a dark path. She'd walked out on him and their kids, would call every once in a while to ask for help. He'd go pick her up and she'd sneak out again. He was with her parents when she was murdered.

Talked to someone who was still close to her more recently. They're questioning everyone they can track down. I just got the jerk Detective. They have a theory but absolutely no suspects.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

fridge corn posted:

Holy poo poo which one of you is this lol http://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363

Yo, you rang?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

OBJECTION! Unsubstantiated!

Dude. I spend a lot of time on the internet. You guys are so much better than the 'net as a whole, and car forums specifically.

Sinestro posted:

They didn't say "not stupid".

Yeah, that. .

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

McTinkerson posted:

Yo, you rang?

How do people still fall for this?

Dr Jim beam has proposed a solution to my horrific cold/flu-like symptoms, my wife is sceptical.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

How do people still fall for this?

Dr Jim beam has proposed a solution to my horrific cold/flu-like symptoms, my wife is sceptical.

Because FB links are always a mess of random characters, so who can tell where they go?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Enterprise gave me a brand new (360 mile) Fiesta Ecobost as a car hire. I'd been wanting to have a drive of one of these. Steering seems good.

What colour is it?

(I hear that affects insurance)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
god damnit row52.com is showing zero vehicles in their database, I think they need to hire ssswitch to unfuck all their code because they clearly suck at it. I want to search for broken cars drat you row52

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Ever see the videos "Dont talk to the police"?

This is exactly the situation you dont talk to police - when they are fishing. That's exactly when innocent people get hosed over.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

During a murder case? I'd be absolutely terrified to speak to the police without an attorney present.

Its not like we're talking about a traffic ticket that is off your record within 5 years here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

god damnit row52.com is showing zero vehicles in their database, I think they need to hire ssswitch to unfuck all their code because they clearly suck at it. I want to search for broken cars drat you row52

It's worse than that, their yard display is also busted.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Never heard of row52, is it similar to http://car-part.com ? Better?

e: when its supposedly working

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This hasn't changed in at least 4 months: http://www.apcity.com/. Jerks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cage posted:

Never heard of row52, is it similar to http://car-part.com ? Better?

e: when its supposedly working

car-part lists full service yard part inventory, row52 lists self service yard car inventory.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What's the deal with with Honda H/F series engines? They seem to be on par with B series and better than D series, but I never hear anything about them one way or the other. Whatever the case is, complete working F22/3 engines are sometimes cheaper than blown junkyard D engines and it's really strange to me...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's worse than that, their yard display is also busted.

It's working now. Or was 10 minutes ago. Still very few LQ4 donors near me, balls

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

What's the deal with with Honda H/F series engines? They seem to be on par with B series and better than D series, but I never hear anything about them one way or the other. Whatever the case is, complete working F22/3 engines are sometimes cheaper than blown junkyard D engines and it's really strange to me...

Because there big fat pigs of motors. And people think accord and slow. But the older f series motors can be bullet proof and allegedly handle boost well.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

It's working now. Or was 10 minutes ago. Still very few LQ4 donors near me, balls

It was me. I bought them all

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

The B and D engines were for compact cars, F was more for the Accord, H was the Prelude engine.

F series engines are kinda gutless, but run forever - I've seen them still running well with north of 300k on them. The H is fun, but prone to oil burning (especially the last generation - usually started smoking around 100k if you didn't beat on it regularly).

An F swap into a B or D equipped chassis is on par with an H swap in difficulty (only one engine mount is different between F and H, and the F and H transaxles are interchangeable, though they do have different gearing), but you're not gaining much, if any, power (depends on the donor year); you do wind up with more power down low though, so you don't have to wind it out nearly as much. An H swap into a Civic or Integra makes for a lot of fun, but you usually have to ditch air conditioning unless you get creative (it's a really tight fit). The most powerful F sold in the US was in the 98-02 Accord LX/EX/SE, and put out a whole 150 hp/152 ft lbs.

Nobody really views the F as a performance engine; you can build them to put out some serious power, but you can spend less overall to get the same power from the H, and the H has far better aftermarket support.

Also, a B pretty much drops into a Civic; depending on the year of the engine and chassis, you can sometimes even use the stock Civic harness. An H swaps into an Accord pretty easily too, but IIRC you do have to make some wiring changes (and the ECU). You can also swap an H trans into an Accord; it's plug and play, even the automatic, and gives you better gearing at the expense of highway MPG.

clam ache posted:

Because there big fat pigs of motors. And people think accord and slow. But the older f series motors can be bullet proof and allegedly handle boost well.

They're not that much heavier than a B. But yeah, physically they're bigger, and dropping an H into a Civic or Integra is a tight fit. I've never seen an F swap in person.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 21, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Enterprise gave me a brand new (360 mile) Fiesta Ecobost as a car hire. I'd been wanting to have a drive of one of these. Steering seems good.
Ok, these are really great little cars. 220 miles of mixed driving, and it's very nice. The exact model is a Zetec S Black Edition, and I find myself very much agreeing with the EVO article I just Googled: http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/fiesta-zetec-s/16682/ford-fiesta-zetec-s-red-edition-review-the-insurance-friendly-st.

It fair braps along like nearly 140bhp (they've got that 1.0 turned up a bit!) in a straight tonne of hatchback should, and dynamically the only serious issue I had was the usual problem of modern cars, an electronic throttle that neutralises and then cuts under brake application. Steering is very taut and direct, not necessarily massively talkative, but perfectly decent.

It's got a little more reverb to the ride than I'd really like, but not to the point of being harsh, and unlike slapping 17" wheels on a boggo model, there at least feels there's a payoff. The other minor detail was that the highest settign for dipped beams still felt a fraction lower than I'd want for good forward viewing without switching to high beam.

At over £16k list, I'm not sure I'd not be able to just cough up the 15% more for an ST, but I think one of these could be interesting as a hottish hatch that'll kill it on BIK bullshit under a company car scheme. Worth seeing how much they deprerciate, too, as I suspect they will drop more than STs.

spog posted:

What colour is it?

(I hear that affects insurance)
:stalker:

Actually, that thread is why I've got it. We were going to use my mate's car for a journey, and then it got bummed to death by a Transit.

Darchangel posted:

Jesus.
I've never really understood the gay/trans hate. I seriously don't car who fucks whom. Just don't make a big deal out of it either way.
People never seem to appreciate how "I don't care" is a viewpoint that is pro equality. No, I don't care about your [X] status. I don't care about the opposite equivalent(s) either. It's really not a thing as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, I'm still going to joke/take the piss, but if you think you're being singled out by that, you've not been paying attention.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Do we get to vote on the next AI mod? I'm all behind a 14" Dick/Corn in the fridge tag team.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Exhaustive research has proved to me that that port+brandy is the best medicinal drink. Best applied whilst sitting in front of a hot fire (gas/electric fires count)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I called a friend, he was also questioned. I guess they have no leads at all.

Lawyer the gently caress up. Like, yesterday

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo just took a turn.

I just had a visit from the police about my friend's death. Lots of uncomfortable questions. So I guess I'm a suspect?

Serious post: you need to lawyer up if they try to speak with you again. Seriously, "I'm sorry, I do not wish to speak with you without an attorney."

I'm a former criminal defense attorney who dabbled in prosecution before and now advises law enforcement agencies.

This is bad advice. That is exactly when wrongful convuctions happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't need to lawyer up.

They have connected her to a car she got into 12 hours before she died. They're trying to ID the car from bad video.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Your posting history and the actual live lawyer above say otherwise.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I would listen to the lawyer ITT.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

They have connected her to a car she got into 12 hours before she died. They're trying to ID the car from bad video.

If they come back, you probably should. I kinda get paid for this poo poo and went to school and poo poo. Prison is full of innocent people who thought like you.
The best cops will pretend you're of no interest, gets people to start talking and be less defensive.

I'm not saying panic. You'll probably be fine. However, caution is warranted in this situation. Someone who is both dispassionate and knows the law will help you immensely.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not even slightly worried. I was in a roomful of people for a three hour block at the time of the shooting. I figure someone who hates me tosses my name out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I'm not even slightly worried. I was in a roomful of people for a three hour block at the time of the shooting. I figure someone who hates me tosses my name out.

What you know is one thing, just heed the advice given, plox.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Considering the new official president of the US, Im willing to offer sanctuary to any US goon who knows how to lay pavers cos i've just been told by the bank that I have to finish drawing down my construction loan by the middle of Feb and that includes laying about 150m2 of pavers. Brick pavers...

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
^^ they can come stay in my spare room after, especially if they know how to build a fence and a garage. Need a double garage sooner rather than later, getting real sick of working on stuff in the driveway and having no storage space. And gotta get the front fence up and paving down for the bbq area

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
The AI garage thread appears to be archived. How hard is it to assemble a kitset garage?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

What you know is one thing, just heed the advice given, plox.

I do have a lawyer connection in the immediate circle of friends so I reached out.

Help id the car in this terrible photo.
http://wane.com/2017/01/20/police-search-for-driver-of-car-who-gave-slain-woman-a-ride/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

During a murder case? I'd be absolutely terrified to speak to the police without an attorney present.

Its not like we're talking about a traffic ticket that is off your record within 5 years here.

What I'm saying is don't lawyer up until they take you downtown

Otherwise you look guilty to idiots and big mouths

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ferremit posted:

Considering the new official president of the US, Im willing to offer sanctuary to any US goon who knows how to lay pavers cos i've just been told by the bank that I have to finish drawing down my construction loan by the middle of Feb and that includes laying about 150m2 of pavers. Brick pavers...

Hey buddy... :ninja:

I know how to build garages too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What I'm saying is don't lawyer up until they take you downtown

Otherwise you look guilty to idiots and big mouths

gently caress the idiots always lookout for your own interests first

• Locked thread