Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Axanar case was settled. Axanar claims they're "not paying anything" (already spinning it into a victory), but they admit in the settlement that they crossed copyright lines. They're converting the project into two 15-minute shorts, and making significant changes to the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New Axanar is just Tony Todd getting into an argument with a replicator over how spicy his hot wings should be.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

New Axanar is just Tony Todd getting into an argument with a replicator over how spicy his hot wings should be.

To be fair, I'd watch this.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gonz posted:

Klingon hot wings would probably kill a human

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Klingon hot wings are just live Qo'noS chickens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
2 15 minute shorts isn't what was promised in the kickstarter. They should be forced to give everyone their money back.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Enterprise actually has a sequel to that episode that's even better. And probably one of the best episodes of Enterprise.

Any thoughts as to the best Enterprise episodes to watch?

I can't really handle the average Enterprise episode, but I watched a few of the recommended top episodes from the last month of Bij and found them highly enjoyable.

I think those were:

Babel One/United/The Aenar - great arc
Borderland/Cold Station 12/The Augments - also a great arc
The Forge/Awakening/Kir’Shara - good arc
The In a Mirror, Darkly, episodes, like FuturePastNow mentioned
Affliction/Divergence - also good

So basically I've listed the Manny Coto arcs? Anything else besides these good? Any more Shran? :allears:

Also - I really miss Bij month episode sync watching/chatting.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I got the Enterpirse complete series blu-ray from Best Buy. Dear god they somehow screw-up the stupid booklet that holds all the discs. Some of them have a death grip on the disc. I was afraid I was going to snap some of the disc just trying to get them out. A couple I had to use a pair of pliers to actually pinch the bits together so I could lift the disc out. I ended up filing down the edges on the ones I had difficulty on so the discs come out easier and won't break. it strange since I got Hogan's Heroes and Mork and Mindy in the same kind of packaging and those don't even come close to having the same type of tightness this set had.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

2 15 minute shorts isn't what was promised in the kickstarter. They should be forced to give everyone their money back.

I have a feeling this is why they settled, because they didn't want the unredacted financials becoming public and opening them up to liability for misappropriation of funds.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

mateo360 posted:

I got the Enterpirse complete series blu-ray from Best Buy. Dear god they somehow screw-up the stupid booklet that holds all the discs. Some of them have a death grip on the disc. I was afraid I was going to snap some of the disc just trying to get them out. A couple I had to use a pair of pliers to actually pinch the bits together so I could lift the disc out. I ended up filing down the edges on the ones I had difficulty on so the discs come out easier and won't break. it strange since I got Hogan's Heroes and Mork and Mindy in the same kind of packaging and those don't even come close to having the same type of tightness this set had.

The packaging is doing you a favor by not letting you have those season one discs. It's a design feature, I'm sure.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've had that "poo poo, am I going to break this thing" effect on a ton of DVDs and BRs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

I have a feeling this is why they settled, because they didn't want the unredacted financials becoming public and opening them up to liability for misappropriation of funds.

I'm honestly surprised they settled and allowed them to do anything. Didn't CBS pretty much have them by the balls after everything that came out during discovery?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

everything that came out during discovery?

Turns out that Star Trek: Discovery isn't a scripted drama. It's a 13-part documentary about the Axanar lawsuit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm honestly surprised they settled and allowed them to do anything. Didn't CBS pretty much have them by the balls after everything that came out during discovery?

CBS/Paramount themselves put out those new fan film guidelines a while ago (http://www.startrek.com/fan-films) so it may be legally tricky to say "No, you, specifically, can't do anything" when CBS/Paramount already said "If you're going to do something, this is how you can do it" to people in general. CBS/Paramount, at that point, I guess maybe would have to prove that this specific production planned to do things the production knew would negatively affect the brand in a meaningful way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibayasu posted:

CBS/Paramount themselves put out those new fan film guidelines a while ago (http://www.startrek.com/fan-films) so it may be legally tricky to say "No, you, specifically, can't do anything" when CBS/Paramount already said "If you're going to do something, this is how you can do it" to people in general. CBS/Paramount, at that point, I guess maybe would have to prove that this specific production planned to do things the production knew would negatively affect the brand in a meaningful way.

Those guidelines were published after the lawsuit had already been filed. The infringement suit was about Prelude.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pacra posted:

I'd say anything with Shran and most of season 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pacra posted:

I can't really handle the average Enterprise episode, but I watched a few of the recommended top episodes from the last month of Bij and found them highly enjoyable.

I think those were:

Babel One/United/The Aenar - great arc
Borderland/Cold Station 12/The Augments - also a great arc
The Forge/Awakening/Kir’Shara - good arc
The In a Mirror, Darkly, episodes, like FuturePastNow mentioned
Affliction/Divergence - also good

So basically I've listed the Manny Coto arcs? Anything else besides these good? Any more Shran? :allears:

Also - I really miss Bij month episode sync watching/chatting.

Season 1:
The Andorian Incident
Shadows of P'Jem

These two episodes are kind of a loose arc. Incident also introduces Shran, who you've already seen in the Aenar arc. Like all Jeffrey Combs characters, he's a great addition to the show and he's fun to watch. It also gives you an intro to the shady poo poo ENT-era Vulcans are up to.

Season 2:
Carbon Creek
Minefield
First Flight

More backstory here. Carbon Creek is a fun no-stakes episode, and one of the first where T'Pol, Trip, and Archer act like friends instead of bitter enemies. Minefield is the only quality Romulan episode of ENT, mostly because you never actually hear or see them. Some decent Trip and Reed moments. First Flight shows the history of the NX program, with Archer telling a The RIght Stuff style tale of hotshot test pilots. It also delves a little more into how much the Vulcans meddled with and delayed the Earth warp program and why Archer and Co are so bitter about it.

Season 3:
I can't recommend anything from season 3. Not because it's a bad season, but because the entire season is one long arc and none of the episodes are really stand-alones. I'm also of the opinion that the season as a whole was pretty lackluster and, at times, boring as poo poo. It also ends on a wet fart of a finale and spends too much time setting up the terrible Season 4 premiere that hastily tied up the stupid Temporal Cold War arc. My opinion goes against this thread's general consensus though, so YMMV. Shran shows up a couple times and there's some good stuff in the season, but you pretty much have to sit through the whole thing.

Season 4:
Demons
Terra Prime

Other than these two, you've basically seen everything worth seeing in season 4. This two-parter is the real Enterprise series finale and it's pretty good. Peter Weller gives a stand-out performance as a Xenophobic terrorist.

After that, you'll have seen all the good-to-great Enterprise episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

Today would have been DeForest Kelley's 97th birthday.

He's got a good 40 or more years to live at least!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
https://twitter.com/brittsmith327/status/822513333047853056

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Data's mom.

I think he made the right decision not telling her that she's an android because holy poo poo would I be pissed if I found out I was an artificial lifeform with the potential for superhuman physique and near-immortality, but nope sorry your dead husband designed you to be a frail old lady programmed to age and die in a few more decades.

Also is there no medical privacy in the future or is this Crusher's horrible medical ethics again. She's totally cool giving out patient medical records without consent because Data's like "trust me I have a good reason"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

FuturePastNow posted:

Klingon hot wings would probably kill a human

I'd love an episode about a ship of Klingons being all growly and macho then when all the humans leave one of them quietly asks "does any of us actually enjoy the poo poo we do?" It turns out they all hated getting into fights for no reason and never bathing but were all afraid to act otherwise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Data's mom.

I think he made the right decision not telling her that she's an android because holy poo poo would I be pissed if I found out I was an artificial lifeform with the potential for superhuman physique and near-immortality, but nope sorry your dead husband designed you to be a frail old lady programmed to age and die in a few more decades.

Also is there no medical privacy in the future or is this Crusher's horrible medical ethics again. She's totally cool giving out patient medical records without consent because Data's like "trust me I have a good reason"

Medical privacy in Star Trek is a real thing only when the plot demands it. Like, twice in DS9?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
As a coffee addict I just want to try raktajino. :saddowns:

The closest I can think of would be something like the chicory coffee you get in New Orleans. Coffee with that additional flavour kick.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brew your coffee with blood, not water. Authentic Qo'noS taste!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Brew your coffee with blood, not water. Authentic Qo'noS taste!

Alright! Let's do this!

EDIT: I'm feeling very light-headed right now.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The_Doctor posted:

As a coffee addict I just want to try raktajino. :saddowns:

The closest I can think of would be something like the chicory coffee you get in New Orleans. Coffee with that additional flavour kick.

I always imagined raktajino basically tasting like a latte but with a ton of spices in it, similar to chai spice.

Also in my head kanar tastes like brandy.

Does anyone else do this?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Not your blood, fool. The blood of your foes!

It's like you don't know a Kahless-shunned thing about raktajino.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blast Fantasto posted:

I always imagined raktajino basically tasting like a latte but with a ton of spices in it, similar to chai spice.

Yeah, that's basically how I always imagined raktajino tasting. DS9 just makes it seem so delicious.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

For some reason I've always imagined kanar as a white russian. No idea why.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Blast Fantasto posted:

That sounds like my mental flavor image of raktajino too. It makes me think of spice coffee from Dune with that sharp cinnamon bite.

Kanar to me reads like one of those too-sweet liqueurs like Drambuie or Southern Comfort.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

For some reason I've always imagined kanar as a white russian. No idea why.

Kanar seems like Kahlua or Jagermeister, a darker liquor.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Given that Garak doesn't like root beer since it's too sweet, maybe it's a spicy or bitter liquor?

Orv
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Kanar seems like Kahlua or Jagermeister, a darker liquor.

Oh yeah absolutely. My white russian thing is just some weird thing I thought when I was 10 during the first season. :v:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I recently watched the TNG episode "Survivors", and it's funny now watching as an adult - the away team comes down and sees the elderly couple, Crusher pulls out the tricorder and the old woman is scared, and Crusher is all like "don't worry, I'm just scanning you!"

I guess medical consent no longer exists in the Federation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
All these violations of privacy and yet "computer, notify me immediately when anybody on board this ship leaves without authorization" is apparently a step too far.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Orv posted:

Medical privacy in Star Trek is a real thing only when the plot demands it. Like, twice in DS9?

poo poo, we didn't even have HIPAA here in the United States until the end of Clinton's first term.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Everyone in Starfleet turns notifications off first thing. It's the only thing that keeps the seat belt alarm from going off constantly.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 21, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Timby posted:

poo poo, we didn't even have HIPAA here in the United States until the end of Clinton's first term.

Huh that's a good point actually. Still, Trek doctors are basically totally unregulated mad scientists unless the episode has a point to make. McCoy is generally less "Lemme try this experimental poo poo on this child" by way of his grumpiness, and Pulaski is all over the place, but Bashir and Crusher are basically people with medical knowledge who are real life TV doctors. The less said about Stretchyface Jones the better.

Unrelated, what's up with John de Lancie's black lipstick in the Q suicide Voyager episode? He's not wearing it in any of the other Voyager ones.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 21, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

VanSandman posted:

Given that Garak doesn't like root beer since it's too sweet, maybe it's a spicy or bitter liquor?

Yeah, I always figured it was like bitter alcoholic maple syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Orv posted:

Huh that's a good point actually. Still, Trek doctors are basically totally unregulated mad scientists unless the episode has a point to make.

Is it really just the doctors, though?