Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

lilljonas posted:

https://southernpaintinginc.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/conservatism-in-lore-how-much-can-we-truly-hold-on-to/

Guys, every change is for the better. Local 40Kers are cheering this fluffpiece. Sad!

Worst thing about that article is that the dude can't spell prophecy right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

90s Cringe Rock posted:

40K really does need a massive mechanical overhaul and an entire new game with no backwards-compatability in codices and rules.

It's just, GW.

Warpath hits retail in April.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

90s Cringe Rock posted:

40K really does need a massive mechanical overhaul and an entire new game with no backwards-compatability in codices and rules.

It's just, GW.

It definitely needs this, but I don't fault GW for not wanting to invalidate three dozen $60 rulebooks sold over the last few years. They're pretty deep down the rabbit hole with that poo poo

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

It definitely needs this, but I don't fault GW for not wanting to invalidate three dozen $60 rulebooks sold over the last few years. They're pretty deep down the rabbit hole with that poo poo

Yeah GW would never do that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah GW would never do that.

I didn't say they wouldn't; just that I would understand why if they didn't. Do you want them to invalidate everything or not?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't care one way or the other as I've long since moved on to better games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

I didn't say they wouldn't; just that I would understand why if they didn't. Do you want them to invalidate everything or not?

To make a better game? Hell yes. That's literally what happened with D&D4e and it was :krad:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

To make a better game? Hell yes. That's literally what happened with D&D4e and it was :krad:

Do you actually own anything from GW?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
When has GW ever produced a good game (by modern terms)? Some of their games were good for their time, but that was an era when games of this sort were very poorly designed because no one really knew what they were doing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

When has GW ever produced a good game (by modern terms)? Some of their games were good for their time, but that was an era when games of this sort were very poorly designed because no one really knew what they were doing.

Presumably that shouldn't stop them from being able to make a good game for its time now, but in order to do that, you'd have to invest much more into design and playtesting than they currently do. And also develop a strong digital strategy.

Hell, even their supposedly "good" competitors have p. poo poo digital strategies

e: But there's still no getting around the bad will you'd create from invalidating that many expensive books overnight. Could be mitigated with free digital releases, but you'd have to have those all ready to roll out of the gate, and they'd have to be better than the AoS free nonsense because holy gently caress those were bad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, we assume you're aware they literally did that to Fantasy, but I'll mention it just in case it somehow slipped your notice.

Like, they not only invalidated all of the existing Fantasy library, they also invalidated the series of four very very expensive "the end times" books they'd just released during the previous six months.

e. To be fair, I feel a little bad for 40k players because it's not nice that they would go through what all the Fantasy players went through. At the same time, I kind of want it to happen to them anyway, because if you watched what happened to Fantasy and didn't believe it could happen to 40k and kept investing in this terrible game from this terrible company, it's hard to be all that sympathetic.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, we assume you're aware they literally did that to Fantasy, but I'll mention it just in case it somehow slipped your notice.

Like, they not only invalidated all of the existing Fantasy library, they also invalidated the series of four very very expensive "the end times" books they'd just released during the previous six months.
Oh, it wasn't four very expensive End Times books. It was five.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

e. To be fair, I feel a little bad for 40k players because it's not nice that they would go through what all the Fantasy players went through. At the same time, I kind of want it to happen to them anyway, because if you watched what happened to Fantasy and didn't believe it could happen to 40k and kept investing in this terrible game from this terrible company, it's hard to be all that sympathetic.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I didn't say they wouldn't; just that I would understand why if they didn't.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Presumably that shouldn't stop them from being able to make a good game for its time now, but in order to do that, you'd have to invest much more into design and playtesting than they currently do. And also develop a strong digital strategy.

I think it does stop them because they've stagnated so long that they've lost all their talented game designers. They'd have to completely rebuild their design team, and given their reputation, I have serious doubts that they'd be able to manage it. Maybe if they actually paid their designers well they could poach some people, but I think GW would have to show that they've really changed, honest this time, for anyone to take notice. They'd probably need more talented staff to actually change, so they're in a bit of a catch-22.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think it does stop them because they've stagnated so long that they've lost all their talented game designers. They'd have to completely rebuild their design team, and given their reputation, I have serious doubts that they'd be able to manage it.

They could just hire new designers, so no, not having good games in the past by modern standards wouldn't stop them from making good games now. Their lack of interest in investing time and money into good design and playtesting would. There's no problem GW has right now that's so bad it couldn't be solved. It's just that this problem and most of the others won't be.

I don't think "game design" pays so well that they'd have a terrible time hiring good designers to work on a franchise as popular as 40k; they just aren't willing to invest more resources into it. Probably because in part they don't think it'll pay off financially

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That's why I edited my post. I doubt they could hire good game designers. (I also have significant doubts that they'd even be able to recognize a good designer if one applied for the job.)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, there is an AoS event coming up at WHW and they explicitly say that they are using an amazing new AoS exclusive GW-trademarked game mechanic...

Right from the event pack: "At this event, we will measure all distances between models using their bases as a reference point. This is commonly known as measuring “base-to-base”."

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's why I edited my post. I doubt they could hire good game designers. (I also have significant doubts that they'd even be able to recognize a good designer if one applied for the job.)

They totally could. "Lead designer on Warhammer 40k" is an immensely desirable game design job. Whether they'd be able to find someone good is trickier, but you can always hire based on track record with existing games--it's not like these guys have iron-clad non-competes or anything. And regardless of the quality of the hire, you still need to invest serious resources and time into playtesting. Even good designers make mistakes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TKIY posted:

Hey guys, there is an AoS event coming up at WHW and they explicitly say that they are using an amazing new AoS exclusive GW-trademarked game mechanic...

Right from the event pack: "At this event, we will measure all distances between models using their bases as a reference point. This is commonly known as measuring “base-to-base”."

loving lol is this true

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

TKIY posted:

Right from the event pack: "At this event, we will measure all distances between models using their bases as a reference point. This is commonly known as measuring “base-to-baseâ€Âť."

Holy poo poo

Link?

E:

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's a past event, but that's in the rules for the "Battle Brothers" event on Dec 10-11: https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Battle_Brothers-Classic-Final.pdf

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's the 'Triumph and Treachery' event: https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-triumph-and-treachery/

And yes it's true. Also this blasphemes the name 'Triumph and Treachery' which was an absolute blast to play in 8th edition.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Imperial Knight trench runs might be the most GW thing ever.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Avenging Dentist posted:

If I were GW I would be looking at how Andy chambers returned to Wargames and how his involvement in Dropfleet helped get nerds frothing at the mouth to throw money at the kickstarter.

I would then try to recruit Andy Chambers to consult on a GW product and get the extra big money bucket out ready for the GW fans to empty their wallets into in a fever of nostalgic anticipation.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

Imperial Knight trench runs might be the most GW thing ever.

did Knights just get their weapons arc hosed up for no reason or something?

i'm sleepy so not paying huge attention

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yep. This is actually real. As in, the image is a photoshop, but this is still what just happened:

Imperial Knight trench runs are in baby!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BULBASAUR posted:

Yep. This is actually real. As in, the image is a photoshop, but this is still what just happened:

It's like how Vin Diesel got past the monsters from Pitch Black

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I just want to load up trucks full of orks and ram them. All day every day.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Liquid Communism posted:

I just want to load up trucks full of orruks and ram them. All day every day.

ftfy

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ugleb posted:

If I were GW I would be looking at how Andy chambers returned to Wargames and how his involvement in Dropfleet helped get nerds frothing at the mouth to throw money at the kickstarter.

I would then try to recruit Andy Chambers to consult on a GW product and get the extra big money bucket out ready for the GW fans to empty their wallets into in a fever of nostalgic anticipation.

Or how basically every GW rules writer and game designer has gone on to new companies and made succesful games based entirely on the pitch of "it's like a GW game but with balanced rules, FAQs that make sense, adequate playtesting, stripped of all the bullshit and made with considerations for game design concepts beyond 1999!".

Like if you examine all the current competitors to GW and their pedigree this is what you get:

Warmachine/Hordes: built on/influenced by the only two games to ever go toe to toe with GW prior to WM (WarZone and Mage Knight).
Flames of War: Written as proposed back to the drawing board rewrite of the 40k rules.
Bolt Action: Built by an ex-GW designer who wanted to take the positive aspects of classic GW games and add in modern design concepts and readability.
DZC: Originally developed by people who got tired of how lovely 40k was, worked on by ex-GW staff who wanted to, you guessed it, incorporate modern design concepts into a 40k like game.
Frostgrave: Developed by non-GW people who wanted to modernize an old GW game.
Kings of War: Developed by an ex-GW staffer and former GW tournament players to be like a GW game that included stripped down rules with modern design concepts.
Infinity: Doesn't take any design ques from GW games, but instead was built around the goal of doing everything that 40k did wrong correctly (LoS, unit tactics, weapon ranges, etc).

It's almost like GW serves as the bed from which people get good but flawed ideas and then polish them into better games that get published by people other than GW! If only there was a way for GW to not get cut off during the second stage of this process....

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

I just want to thunderload up troukks full of orruks and bloodram them. All sigday every sigday.

Let's get them all right.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's almost like GW serves as the bed from which people get good but flawed ideas and then polish them into better games that get published by people other than GW! If only there was a way for GW to not get cut off during the second stage of this process....

Probably more that they cut their teeth working at GW, got a handle and what works and what doesn't, and left for greener pastures where they'd have more control. The biggest problem with staying at GW--apart from the internal drama and politics of working for their idiot loving CEO before Roundtree took over--is that you're saddled with a 17 year-old system that was already creaking under its own weight 15 years ago.

40k absolutely needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up, but even if you invalidate all the books, you still have to figure out what you're going to do about the models. Some armies straight-up have too many choices, many of which are redundant. But making units invalid is a surefire way to lose customers. It's lose-lose for GW at this point with regard to redoing 40k's rules because they're too deep in the poo poo now

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What is the source on the messed up knight firing arcs?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latest round of GW FAQs, apparently. If you feel like looking at the last page or two of the 40k thread (bad thread? It's the bad thread, yeah?) there'll be a link somewhere.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Terrible Opinions posted:

What is the source on the messed up knight firing arcs?

TKIY posted:

This is the direct image and text from the Knight FAQ:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Trench runs on knights owns. It's one of those accidental things that are actually good. Problem is, IIRC there were no movement penalties for rotating so facing doesn't really matter anyway.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

TheChirurgeon posted:

Probably more that they cut their teeth working at GW, got a handle and what works and what doesn't, and left for greener pastures where they'd have more control. The biggest problem with staying at GW--apart from the internal drama and politics of working for their idiot loving CEO before Roundtree took over--is that you're saddled with a 17 year-old system that was already creaking under its own weight 15 years ago.

40k absolutely needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up, but even if you invalidate all the books, you still have to figure out what you're going to do about the models. Some armies straight-up have too many choices, many of which are redundant. But making units invalid is a surefire way to lose customers. It's lose-lose for GW at this point with regard to redoing 40k's rules because they're too deep in the poo poo now

I haven't actually played 40k in something like 15 years but my impression is that it needs a clean break and hard reset. Carrying over old codices from edition to edition means that you can't really fix underlying issues cleanly because everything needs to be backwards compatible.

It would not be a bad thing to strip army rosters back to units that have a purpose. While invalidating old units is always going to cause an amount of upset, keeping them in isn't really helping. Allowing players to use the defunct units as proxies might help soften the blow and build some goodwill in the transition and as things pan out new opportunities to reimagine them might appear.

Ultimately all things pass. They should probably try to keep anything recently released (at least as an official proxy) but trying to retain rules for two decades of releases across a dozen factions isn't going to work.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BULBASAUR posted:

They tried to give knights the d but forgot the actual d.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Chill la Chill posted:

Tzeentch is pronounced like Change, as in the Lord of Change.

I always just called him T-zeenie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Skeleton King posted:

I always just called him T-zeenie.
T-dog or "Theodore" is also acceptable.

Ugleb posted:

I haven't actually played 40k in something like 15 years but my impression is that it needs a clean break and hard reset. Carrying over old codices from edition to edition means that you can't really fix underlying issues cleanly because everything needs to be backwards compatible.

It would not be a bad thing to strip army rosters back to units that have a purpose. While invalidating old units is always going to cause an amount of upset, keeping them in isn't really helping. Allowing players to use the defunct units as proxies might help soften the blow and build some goodwill in the transition and as things pan out new opportunities to reimagine them might appear.

Ultimately all things pass. They should probably try to keep anything recently released (at least as an official proxy) but trying to retain rules for two decades of releases across a dozen factions isn't going to work.
How mad would warham grognards be if you rolled over all the models into fewer unit types? I think one of the most incredibly freeing things was playing frostgrave and being able to use any cool model that roughly fits X archetype into this or that profile. Imagine if you could use either Dreadnoughts or Centurions or GK babywalkers with the Dreadnought profile. :allears:

• Locked thread