Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Five kids, five psychopomps. (Robot counts now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

like... I'm thinking the next few pages are going to be, essentially, the psychopomps being all 'congratulations!'

Annie stares at Smitty's blood on her hand

"I'm so hosed up..."

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Bongo Bill posted:

Five kids, five psychopomps. (Robot counts now.)

My first thought on seeing the psychopomps was that the robot-looking one in the upper right might be for robots.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Goodbye Smitty :smith: you were one of my favorites.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Psychopomps really jumping the gun there. At least wait until Smitty's body has gone limp.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Kat is the robot psychopomp though

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kikas posted:

When Mort went away. When her dad first apperaed. When she ran into the forest. During Fairaway Morning.
There has been a lot of occasions when she expressed her emotions, she tends to go big on occasin due to her regular restraint.

She has a window of pokerface.jpg in each of those instances that sustains itself for a bit. I'm warming up to "this hasn't hit yet, wait for the dam to break" thinking.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
GEORGE PARLEY BIP drat IT BIP!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I'm kind of hoping that the psychopomps have actually showed up to help somehow as a repayment for them handling the job they've been unable to manage.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That's my assumption, though they can't interfere with the affairs of the living.
The dying, on the other hand...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

She has a window of pokerface.jpg in each of those instances that sustains itself for a bit. I'm warming up to "this hasn't hit yet, wait for the dam to break" thinking.
Yup, :geno: while there's work to do, :gonk: when it's done is Annie's SOP.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Hmmm, the job that Annie always wanted now has a vacancy, caused by Annie! HMMMMMMMM...

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

It slightly ruined the emotional tone of this scene but all I could think of the final panel (with the eye effects) was: Multi-Psychopomp Drifting

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Shangri-Law School posted:

Hmmm, the job that Annie always wanted now has a vacancy, caused by Annie! HMMMMMMMM...

Lucky!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Stormgale posted:

It slightly ruined the emotional tone of this scene but all I could think of the final panel (with the eye effects) was: Multi-Psychopomp Drifting

That's actually the tone Tom was going for!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I expect Annie may be able to bargain for some kind of help from the 2 Deth Crew considering the huge favor she just did them.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Instead of having him pass on they just let Smitty wander around as a ghost boyfriend?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

OBVIOUSLY this is going to result in all the psychopomps circling Annie and clapping while each saying "Congratulations!" :colbert:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
oh, right. When elfboy gave Annie her hairband back she wasn't smiling because 'hey, I was wondering where that was!", she was smiling out of relief that a)things aren't hopeless and they have a path forward, and b)she didn't just get grabbed by a brain-hungry zombie. Then it's back to serious time because they aren't out of the woods.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the psychopomps have actually showed up to help somehow as a repayment for them handling the job they've been unable to manage.

I'm betting we'll get something in this vein. If they aren't there for something out of the ordinary why would there be so many of them all at once? There aren't lingering souls down there; we have the last records from a lot of Jeanne's victims. Muut meddled in the affairs of the living by getting the blinker stone to Annie, and we know the psychopomps wanted Annie to help resolve the situation with Jeanne. She's scratched their back. They had better be here to scratch hers.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

They just want their blinker stone back. Hope Annie has it! :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh good, the powerful soul is being released as planned. just another minute or so

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tollymain posted:

oh good, the powerful soul is being released as planned. just another minute or so

Now it's time for Annie to usurp the flame.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Mazerunner posted:

I know there's a new page but I think you've really misinterpreted the sequence. There isn't supposed to be any twist, and we are supposed to be going "but what about Smitty? :ohdear:"

I think you've really misinterpreted my post so I guess we're even? I wasn't saying there was going to be a twist, I was saying the opposite: that it looks like the only way he can play it is straight, and that's a shame, because I'm not really experiencing any of the tension you're describing because the way the sequence of events has been laid out has been boring as gently caress. Even Annie and Kat look loving bored.

This has been an uncommonly dull chapter in what is usually an uncommonly good comic, that's all. v:shobon:v

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Reene posted:

I think you've really misinterpreted my post so I guess we're even? I wasn't saying there was going to be a twist, I was saying the opposite: that it looks like the only way he can play it is straight, and that's a shame, because I'm not really experiencing any of the tension you're describing because the way the sequence of events has been laid out has been boring as gently caress. Even Annie and Kat look loving bored.

This has been an uncommonly dull chapter in what is usually an uncommonly good comic, that's all. v:shobon:v

I know that you weren't saying that there was going to be a twist, but that you think there needs to be one. I'm saying no, there does not, but that's pedantry compared to the main issue.

It's a shame that the sequence isn't working for you, but I think that's really more because you're letting your preconceptions of what you think is happening and how you think it should be presented is interfering with what is actually being shown ie. you misreading rather than a failure on Tom's part.

Like... look at Annie's face in the second to last panel of today's page. That's not a loving bored face. Same with Kat- that's an "I am worried but don't know what to do/can't contribute" face.

I can't make you find this interesting (I mean I'm not on the edge of my seat myself or anything), just try to think about what Tom is actually trying to do instead of how you think he's failed at what you think he should have done.

And please nobody turn this into some sort of 'white knight, dick-slobbering, creator can do no wrong' defense. I really don't care if someone thinks this chapter or Tom are less than perfect, for me it's more that I want to help people find a new perspective to enjoy something they aren't and seem to want to.

... although holy poo poo this post is condescending as gently caress wow I'm sorry

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

are they gonna fill the wound with the arrow

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No plug Robot in there.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Scholtz posted:

are they gonna fill the wound with the arrow

Maybe they'll shove the arrow in and break the end off so that Smitty has an Iron Man style glowing power ring on his chest. Except this one locks his soul into his technically dead body instead of being an electromagnet.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

No plug Robot in there.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

dragon enthusiast posted:

Annie stares at Smitty's blood on her hand

"I'm so hosed up..."

"Don't worry, don't worry, it's not my blood!"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Geocities Homepage King posted:

"With the removal of the murderghost our invasion of the Court may finally proceed. Suffer not one human to live!"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe they'll shove the arrow in and break the end off so that Smitty has an Iron Man style glowing power ring on his chest. Except this one locks his soul into his technically dead body instead of being an electromagnet.

Annie uses her hair clip to close the wound. Problem solved!

Alternately, she uses her fire powers to cauterize the area. :flame:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Psychopomps aren't allowed to interfere with the living but they bend that rule fairly often, like giving Annie her blinker stone indirectly. Plus considering Mort got to be a ghost by merit of Jones getting him killed on accident, I don't see why they wouldn't something to help Smitty considering he's dying because of their inability to do their jobs with regards to Jeanne, and also possibly out of gratitude.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Now it's time for Annie to usurp the flame.

Try boxbot
And then Time for dark!

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Glagha posted:

Psychopomps aren't allowed to interfere with the living but they bend that rule fairly often, like giving Annie her blinker stone indirectly. Plus considering Mort got to be a ghost by merit of Jones getting him killed on accident, I don't see why they wouldn't something to help Smitty considering he's dying because of their inability to do their jobs with regards to Jeanne, and also possibly out of gratitude.

despite helping mort, and now jeanne and elf, into the ether(and having that afterlife guide sigil in the rotd), she's been pretty adamant about not being a psychopomp

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't know that the pomps could help Smitty. They don't govern death, just the post-death experience.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
if they wait a few minutes they'll be able to help him since parley isn't bipping him to a hospital or anything

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
plot twist, they're all here to welcome Kat as the Mother of Machines

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Kat is actually the reincarnation of Yawgmoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Try boxbot
And then Time for dark!

Try box, bot hole.

MikeJF posted:

I don't know that the pomps could help Smitty. They don't govern death, just the post-death experience.

It's really unclear what they are capable of doing vs what they are allowed to do by the rules they take seriously.