Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Kaethela posted:

I gave that Sleeper Hold deck a try the other day and won two games in a row with it. The first by scoring six points and sleepers (watching the runner panic during their turn was the greatest thing ever) and the second by scoring out a GFI from hand.

Sleeper hold is still good right now. You can rush behind lotuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Huh, apparently people still enjoy playing Netrunner. Like these dorks from Reddit. Hey, whatever brings joy.

On one hand, good for them.

Oh the other hand, a lot more effort could have been made.

Still, they seem happy so gently caress it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've been playing a sweet NBN glacier deck with Haarischandra Ent., Data Raven + Data Ward, Data Hound, other sweet stuff. I've only played it a bit but it's fun. Super taxing ice and napd contract owns.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The bride in that wedding is the first person I know who thought pre-paid voice pad was going to be top tier, she was ahead of the meta by months.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So after testing, the one good thing about Sifr is that it provides a legitimate alternative console for criminals other than desperado :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

berenzen posted:

So after testing, the one good thing about Sifr is that it provides a legitimate alternative console for criminals other than desperado :v:

So the sky is not in fact falling?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ehhh, it's still not a great card, because it severely limits what people can do. The thing is, that it severely limits ICE design space, which is bad design. Like, I'm breaking DNA trackers and Fairchildren for super cheap with Zu, which opens up more influence, as I no longer need to run gordian. If the game didn't have parasite, I think Sifr would be fine, as glacier decks can still stack up powerful ICE. Sifr's big problem is that it and parasite exist together in the same faction, and as a result it will create a more stagnant meta. Sifr itself is not a big issue, the issue is the degeneracies that occur with parasite. Parasite, unfortunately, is a card that completely warps the game. Like if they ban cards, I'd rather them ban parasite than Sifr, because that's the real issue, not Sifr.

Honestly, I think they probably should ban parasite. Look at how much it's warped card design, and that there are so many different cards that have been affected by it. Clone chip is mostly on there specifically because Clone Chip-Parasite was so good. There have also been a bunch of cards printed for corps that are fairly obviously designed specifically for corps to deal with parasite. Friends in High Places, Cyberdex Virus Suite, Macrophage, ark lockdown, Magnet, Lotus Field, etc. We see parasite disappear, I think we see a far more diverse meta develop as a result.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 20, 2017

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

berenzen posted:

Ehhh, it's still not a great card, because it severely limits what people can do. The thing is, that it severely limits ICE design space, which is bad design. Like, I'm breaking DNA trackers and Fairchildren for super cheap with Zu, which opens up more influence, as I no longer need to run gordian. If the game didn't have parasite, I think Sifr would be fine, as glacier decks can still stack up powerful ICE. Sifr's big problem is that it and parasite exist together in the same faction, and as a result it will create a more stagnant meta. Sifr itself is not a big issue, the issue is the degeneracies that occur with parasite. Parasite, unfortunately, is a card that completely warps the game. Like if they ban cards, I'd rather them ban parasite than Sifr, because that's the real issue, not Sifr.

Would Parasite be better balanced if it was similar, but instead of Virus Counters it gained "Parasite Counters" (or Power Counters or whatever) and whenever the Parasite Counters equaled the printed strength it killed the ICE? I like the idea of ICE trashing, I feel like the problem is doing it at paid-ability speed.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think you could still keep it as virus counters with that mechanic, it makes surge, virus breeding grounds and other similar cards worth using rather than just sucker/sifr/parasite.

The other issue with parasite is how easily it can be recurred. With Same Old Thing, Deja Vu, Parasite and Levy, you can effectively have up to 30 parasites a game. Cutlery is far harder to do, you need the card specific to that ICE type, and it can't be recurred anywhere near as much, plus they take up far more deck slots and force the runner to fully interact with the ICE.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 20, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
They could make it so the trash effect only happens at the start of the runner's turn. That way it doesn't combo with every drat card to trash ice.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Another console, another excuse to try and make Nasir work. Sifr + parasucker is going to rule on Nasir, especially with all the tutoring and recursion shaper has.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Turns out that Brian Stinson is really bonkers out of GRNDL. If you get him in your opening hand you can do things like Restructure - Install Stinson - Stinson the Restructure and end your first turn with 28 credits. I got to follow that up with a doubled Hedge Fund and installing a naked Profiteering. You don't even need to install ice, they just can't run because no amount of protection is going to save them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah, I was looking at GRNDL a little bit back, when Blackmail spam was everywhere, figured I'd just lean into it, but the ten influence is just a killer

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Stinson seems like he's really binary, though. He's great if you get him turn 1, but with runner economies the way they are these days it's rare for them to ever be below six credits by the midgame, especially if they know Stinson is a threat.

Or are people finding a good way to use him?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Zephro posted:

Stinson seems like he's really binary, though. He's great if you get him turn 1, but with runner economies the way they are these days it's rare for them to ever be below six credits by the midgame, especially if they know Stinson is a threat.

Like all Green cards, he's better in Yellow. (because you can enable with a Closed Accounts)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah I was playing around a few months ago with an econ denial deck that ran Scarcity, Reversed Accounts, Dedication Ceremony, Tollbooth, NAPD etc out of Sol. Was wondering if I could find a home for him in there.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm loving around with a Titan deck and in my first playtesting game I ended turn 3 with 31 credits. Bryan is really good when you can capitalize on the runner going broke from setting up.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

He's binary out GRNDL, but he's so good when he's on that I don't mind having like two dead draws--especially when the deck is mostly dead later on anyways because I'm just hunting for the actual kill pieces.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I spent 10 hours playing NetRunner at a fundraising "marathon" event yesterday, and saw a bunch of Aaron Marron, and all I can say is this: finally the Account Siphon-based decks are getting some support; thank god that archetype is gonna make a comeback.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or a genuine feeling. :v:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So now that Worlds has happened and it's the end of Flashpoint, we're presumably due another iteration of the MWL fairly soon? Cards I'd like to see added:

Rumour Mill, for being terrible card design that fills a space already filled by much more elegant cards with more interesting counterplay, namely Plop and Councilman

Cards I'm not sure about:

Temujin: it's game-warpingly good and present in so many decks, both of which have been criteria for being added to the MWL in the past. On the other hand it's elegant card design and while it feels undercosted at 2 inf putting it on the MWL would hurt Criminal.

Jackson Howard: Controversy alert! But many/most of the JHow replacements have been printed already. Pre-emptive Action is a decent card; FIHP is great, Anonymous Tip remains good for drawing, Sensie Actors Union is a thing, etc. Plus Corp recursion is kinda bananas now between Jackson, Pre-Emptive and FIHP.

SIFR: It may be too early to tell, but ugh, this loving console

Cards that could maybe come off the current MWL:

NAPD Contract - runner economies feel like they're good enough these days to cope with it. And there's at least one other viable neutral 4/2 in Corporate Sales Team, so it won't be an auto-include.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If they put Jackson on there it will be an interesting signal for FFG's concern for casual play since he's rotating out in a few weeks anyway so for competitive play he's off the table already.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Rotation is after Red Sand, fwiw.

Edit: and the MWL is explicitly for tournament play; I think we can expect no rotated cards to remain on the MWL after rotation.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Yeah, it's a shame we still have another cycle until rotation. I'm very excited for the dramatic shakeup that we'll see when staples like Ash, Caprice, and the rest leave play.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Plavski posted:

Yeah, it's a shame we still have another cycle until rotation. I'm very excited for the dramatic shakeup that we'll see when staples like Ash, Caprice, and the rest leave play.
I think the biggest change is going to be losing all the 3/2s except Astro and ABT. If they don't print more, or more potent tools for use with 4/2s, that could kill Fast / Never Advance as a strategy for everyone except maybe HB.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
3/2s are the worst

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How do you even score out a 4/2 or 5/3 these days with ice and protection as weak as it is? Aside from Fast Advancing it out without advancing it beforehand, I guess. Or threatening to just blow them up if they touch the agenda.

Or is the focus more now to score out a bunch of 3/1s?

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

How do you even score out a 4/2 or 5/3 these days with ice and protection as weak as it is? Aside from Fast Advancing it out without advancing it beforehand, I guess. Or threatening to just blow them up if they touch the agenda.

You give the 4/2s and 5/3s to the runner to be traded for a Breaking News later with Exchange of Information.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

There's always Red Herrings! In my mind Red Herrings is maybe a little underrated and I keep wanting to try an econ denial deck that runs it as its scoring plan alongside SanSan and Mumbad Virtual Tour and a load of Tollbooths and stuff.

3/2s are weird, they're obviously super powerful but the structure of the game rules means they're important if you want never advance to be part of the game, because never-advancing nothing but 3/1s is too slow to be viable. And NA in turn really emphasises the bluffing/hidden information aspect of Netrunner. It wouldn't surprise me if they drop Core 2.0 when rotation happens and they grandfather the 3/2s from Genesis in to ensure that every faction has one (probably swapping Beale for Astro and leaving HB with ABT from the existing Core).

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There isn't going to be an MWL update, and if there isn't, Sifr will sure as gently caress not be on there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If they were to do another reboot of the game, which I know will never happen, I feel like shying away from fast advance is the best way to go. Without FA, I think 3/2s aren’t super duper powerful. Obviously they’re strong, but I don’t think they’re overwhelmingly so. I know a lot of people were drawn to Netrunner because of the bluffing aspects, and I feel like Fast Advance goes against that entirely. Never Advance definitely ties into this, and a more traditional glacier-style deck ties into it as well.

Typing all this out, I’m reminded of when I was new to the game, playing with other people who were new, and we’d always try weird poo poo and weird bluffs. Basically shellgame-style gameplay but out of basically every deck. I wonder if that was the initial intended gameplay for the game, but then it just slowly shifted away from that?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm really hoping ABT/Braintrust/Atlas/Beale remain in the game in one form or another. Losing the Projects would suck a lot with Glacier being so weak right now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If they were to do another reboot of the game, which I know will never happen, I feel like shying away from fast advance is the best way to go. Without FA, I think 3/2s aren’t super duper powerful. Obviously they’re strong, but I don’t think they’re overwhelmingly so. I know a lot of people were drawn to Netrunner because of the bluffing aspects, and I feel like Fast Advance goes against that entirely. Never Advance definitely ties into this, and a more traditional glacier-style deck ties into it as well.

Typing all this out, I’m reminded of when I was new to the game, playing with other people who were new, and we’d always try weird poo poo and weird bluffs. Basically shellgame-style gameplay but out of basically every deck. I wonder if that was the initial intended gameplay for the game, but then it just slowly shifted away from that?
Here's a thought: stop giving runners backbreaking cards like Rumor Mill and Yog.0 that invalidate entire types of cards, and stop giving runners burst econ like Temujin that destroys the ability of a corp to get ahead on money and threaten traces/big ice.

Until the corps get the tools to construct difficult-to-enter servers, there's no reason for a corp to put anything more powerful than a PAD Campaign in a remote unless it's getting scored that turn.

Megacorps should not be punching bags for street-level runners; it should actually be an uphill battle, which it currently isn't because orange cards destroyed the game.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I mean I assume it must be, it's the best way to make use of the information asymmetry that is one of Netrunner's defining features. I think part of the issue is that as a metagame develops it becomes harder to bluff convincingly because people have a good idea of what you're running and what that face-down card might possibly be. A friend and I have a semi-regular play session on Jinteki once or twice a week and we usually bring new decks each time, and the bluffing aspect is certainly stronger / easier to do when you don't know exactly what your opponent is up to.

I also think the kind of person who's attracted to competitive Netrunner - which is, in turn, what sets the general meta - is the kind of person who doesn't like bluffing because it's high-variance and hard to optimise around. Mushin and AOYCR and PE as an archetype all get a lot of poo poo from competitive players, so I think the hivemind that sets the meta is down on the idea of too much randomness/surprise/bluffing in general.

Even then you do still see it sometimes, like Dave Hoyland's Worlds game against Timmy Wong when a GFI sat on the table for ten turns or something insane.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 24, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Some people have been rumouring Core Set v2.0 with some of the rotated cards being merged back in; one example being Beale in for Astro, another being Reina for Noise. I doubt there's anything concrete about it tho, and the fine lads on Run Last Click didn't know much more in their year retrospective either. It would be kinda nice to purge parasite and datasucker from the game though!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Plavski posted:

Some people have been rumouring Core Set v2.0 with some of the rotated cards being merged back in; one example being Beale in for Astro, another being Reina for Noise. I doubt there's anything concrete about it tho, and the fine lads on Run Last Click didn't know much more in their year retrospective either. It would be kinda nice to purge parasite and datasucker from the game though!
Yes these rumours have been floating around for a year or so. I think it's known that FFG were testing it internally, the only question is whether they'll go ahead and actually publish. It's quite a graceful solution in a way because it lets them patch the Core Set without forcing long-term players to rebuy any cards. If they do publish, then after Red Sands, when rotation hits, would be the logical time, so I guess we'll see.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

My buddy won a store champ last weekend with a Titan rush deck (dropping a single corp game in grand finals, apparently). If people are going to be installing $5 hardware that doesn't do poo poo vs cheap gear checks to facilitate their $4-5 breakers, IAAing an Oaktown or GFI behind an ice wall and a lotus field is a great way to win games.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 24, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
FFG need to get off their balls and ban some poo poo. The MWL is too weak a solution as players just drop a bunch of cards from their decks and keep playing busted poo poo. No half measures - just loving ban every problem card and keep them banned unless someone stands in front of the design team and explains in excruciating detail why a card needs to come off the ban list.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
i hate datasucker

E: hate hate hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Personally, I think Datasucker itself is perfectly fine--it's Parasite that's really the problem. Of course, I'm also just a big fan of the general Andysucker rig, so I'm probably biased, but I like stacking up small run bonuses, and I don't think Datasucker is particularly out of line, unless it's letting you instantly trash ice.

• Locked thread