Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really wish you could turn the bars off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

You used to be able to stack each tier of talisman. But now there is only one tier. So you can only carry two of each talisman. So you can't loadout for a particular strategy.

Not sure what I mean about can't loadout for a particular strategy. You get more slots as you level up, you can upgrade your magic...

so you're saying you can't have like Wind I and Wind II at the same time now, but that just seems like balancing things better. I don't see why that means you can't make a loadout? Or that magic is automatically unvaiable?

I mean, it doesn't seem like you can do a straight wizard in this like in dark souls, but you can definitely go heavy into magic stats or ninja stats as opposed to going mostly physical.

Phantasium posted:

You can get one in the Twilight stage where the key was in the regular stage. So even if they eventually cost a bunch in the shop you can probably find enough in stages, too.

Ah yeah, makes sense. Dark Souls 2 kinda did it the same way having them be treasures you could pick up or buy from vendors for a lot of souls.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Has anyone beaten that samurai with the kusarigama? God drat what an absolute loving prick.
I usually wait a few months after Souls games are out before I get them but this is day one for me.
Has anyone got a full shinobi set yet also? Missing the trousers.
I've gone dex/spirit and using the kusarigama and ninja abilities. The poison works great against the tengu and the massive demons; surprise, surprise the loving samurai is immune

edit: found the name
edit2: it can be done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcP_juib7bo

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's even a skill for bare-handed attacks :raise:

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Yeah some of the shinobi gear has barehanded dmg buffs. Definitely gonna play around with that at some point.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

so you're saying you can't have like Wind I and Wind II at the same time now, but that just seems like balancing things better. I don't see why that means you can't make a loadout? Or that magic is automatically unvaiable?

It's not balanced that way it's just that William is at basic level for this demo while he was at Expert level previous demos and you could max out the talisman skills

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm literally just saying that in the two previous demos, it was viable to go full magic and that you could customize your loadout to have more than 2 of a particular type of talisman. In this demo, you can't, and it sucks.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

quote!=edit

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

There's even a skill for bare-handed attacks :raise:

theres a skill that lets bare handed parries steal enemy weapons too which could be fun

another interesting skill i found was one that made your weapon deal more damage with every enemy you defeat until you die/rest at a shrine

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Has anyone beaten that samurai with the kusarigama? God drat what an absolute loving prick.

Totally, though you did it faster, looks like.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dang I beat him by being overleveled and in low stance, I guess I was just impatient because my high stance combos kept wiiffing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

theres a skill that lets bare handed parries steal enemy weapons too which could be fun

another interesting skill i found was one that made your weapon deal more damage with every enemy you defeat until you die/rest at a shrine

Yeah I really like the idea of being a final fantasy tactics style samurai with the bare handed blade-grasp, grab your opponent's blade and finish him with it. Very cool.

Feel like I'm in a Kurosawa movie running around slashing dudes with katanas and throwing shurikens and poo poo. Really fun change of pace from Dark Souls setting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Definitely ended up falling out of love with spears in this demo. Well, I still like them for normal enemies, but the katana is doing much better for me against bosses. If only there was any overlap at all between katana and kusarigama stats, those are the two most fun for me.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
^^ There is some overlap if you go for light armor I think. Body/Skill required (and body is single Katana right?)

I just did Muneshige with my lovely magic/ninja/spirit build with Kusarigama and it was fine. Took 3 deaths to figure out the timing for when to push him and when to let him run himself out of stamina. Took about 5 standing grapples (for the OP - standing grapples deal far more damage than grapples against enemies on the ground) that each left him perfectly open for a hard attack low stance backstab after the grapple. I am 100% going to make a Muneshige Quickdraw build when this comes out for real.

For what it's worth I did not see him have any invincibility except on his dodges (as is fair). He does however wear enough armor to poise through quite a lot of hits, especially low strength ones. Pretty much no-sells kunai to the face, but that's what armor of the west does for you. Now his stamina does probably regen too fast for his armor, but then he doesn't get to Ki pulse. And he only one-shot my blocks when he was buffed by his weird draw-a-circle move (really hope that's gettable for players).

For those that just jumped into Nioh the first time with the trial, I can't recomment fighting the player spectres enough. You get to learn all the movesets you have access to, you learn stamina management, you get gear. And all the gear you don't want you can turn into elixirs at the shrine.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 21, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Genocyber posted:

Pretty much all of his attacks leave his back super vulnerable where you can get off a full light combo which does even more damage than normal since it is a back attack.

Okay, this part certainly isn't true, as he rolls away from me after at most one mid stance hit, so I get ~250 damage.

My favourite entirely BS thing I've seen him do is send the lightning pupper at you with a timing where, if you dodge it, he catches your recovery with his running slash and oneshots you.

I've beaten him, but I wouldn't describe at as fair in the same way as most souls bosse,s he feels way too tanky and it's a bit of a chore tbh.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 21, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

^^ There is some overlap if you go for light armor I think. Body/Skill required (and body is single Katana right?)

Heart is single katana. Body is spears.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I. Hate. Tengu.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ha. Knew if I took a break and came back I could handle the Ogress fine. High stance axe and a little patience made it easy to hit her in the mask and she came apart likity-split.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Found 2 interesting little items in the Twilight stage. First is the mask of the father equivalent. it's a goofy rear end looking mask that actually has pretty good stats

The 2nd is some Kodama inhabited bowls. I used it, and it just summons a kodama that waves at you and disappears. has anyone found a real use for this thing?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Can you all please stop attacking the Tanuki. Please stop.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Okay, this part certainly isn't true, as he rolls away from me after at most one mid stance hit, so I get ~250 damage.

It is true, but you have to hit his back square on. If you hit him more towards his side he'll just block and evade. You also have to attack him very quickly, if you're just a bit too slow he'll also block and evade.

quote:

My favourite entirely BS thing I've seen him do is send the lightning pupper at you with a timing where, if you dodge it, he catches your recovery with his running slash and oneshots you.

You didn't position yourself properly. Behind the rock is always good since it prevents him from getting to you completely.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Genocyber posted:

It is true, but you have to hit his back square on. If you hit him more towards his side he'll just block and evade. You also have to attack him very quickly, if you're just a bit too slow he'll also block and evade.

You didn't position yourself properly. Behind the rock is always good since it prevents him from getting to you completely.

Actually didn't think of abusing the geometry like that. Also didn't know how specific back attacks are, thanks!

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Emalde posted:

To folks who played the earlier demos and aren't sure if they got the conqueror mark, check your Sony media history

Any tips on how to do this? Web searches aren't illuminating.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011
Been enjoying the trial again, pretty sure I won't be able to stop OCD grinding out the best effects on weapons for minor benefits once the game's out. I've a couple of videos of this trial so I figured I might as well post them here.

Me and my friend doing the Twilight mission somewhat fast:
My POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqzhOc5gGA
Friend's POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_12wbZHsRI

And a speedkill of Muneshige with a pimped out katana, but it shows how to deal more damage than just doing the default Grapple when he's vulnerable so that might help some people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7PzUUKZsQ

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKUyWLRQn4 first strike must kill

edit: just to be clear, this is someone one-shotting Muneshige

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 22, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKUyWLRQn4 first strike must kill

edit: just to be clear, this is someone one-shotting Muneshige

Well there goes my impetus to try another punch run.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Why is this PS4 only did sony help with developement ala SF5?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I really wanted to like this game, but I feel like the combat system demands way more mastery than I'm willing to put in. I can't even parry basic mooks consistently.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ulio posted:

Sony's publishing it internationally.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ulio posted:

cause deals were signed to make it ps3 only in like 2007

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Chachi posted:

Any tips on how to do this? Web searches aren't illuminating.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/my/account/ Manage Account, Media, tab through the bullshit and check the various Nioh entries you should have.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

How long does it take to get the ogre bonus item? And do we have a confirmed end time? I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon at the absolute earliest :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Russian Remoulade posted:

I really wanted to like this game, but I feel like the combat system demands way more mastery than I'm willing to put in. I can't even parry basic mooks consistently.

If you're having trouble with the fancier techniques, just focus on dodging and striking back. High stance katana is pretty simple to do that with--dodge, chop a dude's head, dodge, chop a dude's head. And just try not to let enemies get behind you, because you take (I think?) double damage from behind. So do enemies, though, so try to hit them in the back. Save parrying, fancy combos, etc. for when you've mastered dodge timings and Ki pulse (hit R1 as the little blue particles flash around your character after you attack to get stamina back).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 22, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Axe/Hammer also has basic Dark Souls style movesets

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Emalde posted:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/my/account/ Manage Account, Media, tab through the bullshit and check the various Nioh entries you should have.

Thank you. That mark of the conqueror's lookin' fine :mmmhmm:

CuddlyZombie posted:

How long does it take to get the ogre bonus item? And do we have a confirmed end time? I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon at the absolute earliest :(

End time is Monday afternoon (assuming you're in GMT -5:00).

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I beat the first demo but skipped on the second. What did I miss out on unlockables?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only played the beta demo, and I don't know if it is a change or just the area, but I like it more than what I played in the beta. Can't put my finger on it.

Also, for anyone playing with a Pro, which mode are you playing on? I am playing on action mode; The 60 fps feels better in a game like this.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Beat the normal Ogress first try, took all my elixirs but I did it. The good ol' standard Katana is great to use and has a nice feel. How are the other weapons?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Definitely ended up falling out of love with spears in this demo. Well, I still like them for normal enemies, but the katana is doing much better for me against bosses. If only there was any overlap at all between katana and kusarigama stats, those are the two most fun for me.

There is slightly; heart is best for katana and dexterity is best for kusari but skill benefits both.

And you can mix stats between vitality, heart, dexterity and skill and seems to work pretty well for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Chachi posted:

Thank you. That mark of the conqueror's lookin' fine :mmmhmm:

End time is Monday afternoon (assuming you're in GMT -5:00).

Oh poo poo, that'll be time enough! What a relief, thanks.