Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
My faith in this terrible Gacha system has been rewarded. Ace on a daily freebie ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Varance posted:

My faith in this terrible Gacha system has been rewarded. Ace on a daily freebie ticket.

Unless you're really desperate for a 5 star, I don't know how that's a good thing.:crossarms:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

The man called M posted:

Unless you're really desperate for a 5 star, I don't know how that's a good thing.:crossarms:

Umm... Ace is a high tier 6* in the JP version. 6* Exdeath is more powerful right now, but once we get ability augments, he'll be up there among the top casters. Spirit Hand becomes a partywide 45/100/140 MP restore each round, plus Tri-beam Laser becomes AoE, increases to 7 hits, puts a -75% Light/Fire/Lightning imperil on everything and randomly jumps to a multiplier as high as 22.8x for occasional Orlandu-level damage. He can also virtually spam his limit if you augment Devotion.

He's not Noctis, but it's not a bad 5* pull. Altema has him ranked as the 4th best mage behind the two Dark Finas and Esper Terra, primarily due to how nuts Tri-beam gets when augmented (and also allowing Orlandu to hit 4 times as hard against whatever it hits).

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 21, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Did the game break for anyone else? I can't connect anymore.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I dunno, but I'm seeing MAP_TEXT 12524785356 in all the story quests I'm doing now instead of dialogue.

I don't care because I don't read it anyway.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was wondering which would make the better (ie most useful/interesting) companion hero? I have the following as max level 6* units with ok gear

Chizuru
Cecil
Refia
Exdeath
Demon Rain
CoD
Bartz

I've put Cecil up for now but thought I'd ask if one of the others would be more suitable.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
DD's are almost always the best "general use" companions. I'd go with Exdeath, Chizuru, or CoD based on which is geared better.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

PaybackJack posted:

Don't quote me on that actually happening next week, but I remember last month that black magic was banned during one week. It seems like they're mixing up the order and rules all the time so there may not be a set rotation, but 'No Black Magic' is in the rotation and it's worse than 'No Dual Cast'.

"Good" news: If you have Dark Fina, Dystopia isn't counted as Black Magic since it's an ability.

Bad news: That means that assuming no esper interference, arena Dark Finas have exactly three abilities they can use: an AoE random ailment, an AoE ATK/DEF debuff, and Dystopia, so you still have a 1/3 chance of getting your poo poo wrecked every turn.

Varance posted:

He's not Noctis, but it's not a bad 5* pull. Altema has him ranked as the 4th best mage behind the two Dark Finas and Esper Terra, primarily due to how nuts Tri-beam gets when augmented (and also allowing Orlandu to hit 4 times as hard against whatever it hits).

As it stands, he's slightly behind Exdeath (on account of not having native dualcast). Wild Card has potential on Dual Wield builds, and once Tri-beam gets augments he'll be in line for making GBS threads out damage in a way only mages with 22.5x multipliers can.

He's pretty solidly "mid-tier", about on par with Luneth in the long run.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 21, 2017

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

CyberLord XP posted:

DD's are almost always the best "general use" companions. I'd go with Exdeath, Chizuru, or CoD based on which is geared better.

I had a think about it and I recalled using other peoples Chizuru a lot. Mine is fairly decent from the gear side too so I've switched to her.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

hagie posted:

Noooo your Gilgamesh has gotten me through so much! (Do what you want)

So much poo poo going on I'm not sure where to continue, I feel a little overwhelmed. Main story to finish, Ariana quest, Akademeia, and cactaur just showed back up...

Also, why am I at the Water Shrine on the 3rd island and way over geared for what is available to buy in Amore? Technically I haven't bought any gear since I left the 2nd...

no worries switched back to gilgy after getting demon mail

got a dkc on the daily too so yay another tm to grind

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Dk Cecil ends up being pretty boss once he gets his augments right? I thought I remember reading he can dish out massive damage, albeit at a high cost, once upgrades start rolling around. I've been sitting on mine for a while now and if the no black mag thing is coming back he's fairly useful for the arena since his skills don't count as bm.

That would leave me with noctis, dk Cecil, chiz, probably cod and either another chiz or maybe butz or Refia. Might not be a bad idea to bring her along for some embolden action now that I think about it. Either way all those stupid Cecils are going to take rounds upon rounds to hack through unless I get lucky with a flask

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I believe Dark Cannon turns into a 720% damage modifier skill, and he also regens all his health every round.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't wait to see what sort of utter stupid OP poo poo Orlandu gets if/when they give him augments. Maybe Holy Explosion will become an AOE in addition to more damage and a bigger holy resist debuff. :v:

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Edgar iz g00d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y25ppWkDnlc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Chinese new year global exclusive units are going to be added in. One's a dancer and one's a fist using chocobo rider. Xiao is apparently getting a 6* upgrade. Maybe fists will become good end game tier DPS.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol medius now xiao??? Im sorry gumi i'm not going to get xiao to 80 hoping the 6* is actually good like I did with medius.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol medius now xiao??? Im sorry gumi i'm not going to get xiao to 80 hoping the 6* is actually good like I did with medius.

Why not just wait until it actually gets released and someone else tells you the stats like I did? Because someone on reddit will have that 6* with a bunch of TMs on it in like, minutes. I doubt even a 6* will save Xiao though, but the new fist user is a base 5*.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Why not just wait until it actually gets released and someone else tells you the stats like I did? Because someone on reddit will have that 6* with a bunch of TMs on it in like, minutes. I doubt even a 6* will save Xiao though, but the new fist user is a base 5*.

I had so many gigantaurs that I needed to dump them

e- I still have too many with nothing to spend them on and I havent cashed in on any of the akademia ones AND the maze is around the corner

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Both of those event characters' sprites look awesome.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The logistics of a fist using Chocobo Rider still make no sense to me.

Also I've been trying to awaken Ariana for two days now and her last powder refuses to drop. Driving me nuts.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Clearly the Chocobo just kicks for its attacks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HGH posted:

Also I've been trying to awaken Ariana for two days now and her last powder refuses to drop. Driving me nuts.

You hold out your fist and just clothesline them.

AegisP posted:

Both of those event characters' sprites look awesome.

They do. The dancer in particular is probably the best global exclusive sprite yet.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

HGH posted:

If FFT has shown me anything, its that a monk on a chocobo is surprisingly effective.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I constantly forget you can ride chocobos in battle in FFT because it's so inefficient and generally not worth it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I've gotten four Doublecorns today, they might've flipped the switch back on...

Can anybody else confirm?

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
I've had 2 I think over the course of about 10 runs which is a hell of a lot better than I have been getting

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Random is random.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I have seen zero this entire event. gently caress the rng

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got three in a row today.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Scrublord Prime posted:

I have seen zero this entire event. gently caress the rng

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Regarding the discussion earlier, I have spent only 50 dollars on lapis in this game, and I have gotten two Lightnings, Luneth, Ramza, Delita, and Dark Knight Cecil. I don't feel like 50 dollars makes me a whale.

Cartoon Man posted:

I've gotten four Doublecorns today, they might've flipped the switch back on...

Can anybody else confirm?

I got one today. It's weird, I got seven the first day, and I thought "Oh, they made the encounter rate decently high because it's actually difficult to beat, so you have to earn that phantoma." Then I proceeded to not see another Doublicorn for three straight days.

e: Got rid of a couple of inactives, so I have two slots open for anyone who wants my dual-wielding Seven with Insult to Injury for the event. 484,621,892.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 22, 2017

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Think I've seen 10-12 in 120,000 event currency worth of ELT runs. Usually get one to spawn in the 7-9 runs it takes to deplete my energy bar.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Dias posted:

what's a doublicorn I'm pretty sure that's just a legend.

I swear I saw a couple early on.

I haven't seen any since and I doubt I will. Man and I wanted that 70k moogle too.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Installed the game a few days ago and added myself to the goon spreadsheet. Unfortunately I didn't heed the reroll advice so the most I have so far is 4-star characters.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Cheap Trick posted:

Installed the game a few days ago and added myself to the goon spreadsheet. Unfortunately I didn't heed the reroll advice so the most I have so far is 4-star characters.

How much money have you spent on it and who are your best characters? Might still be worth rerolling when Orlandu comes.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

How much money have you spent on it and who are your best characters? Might still be worth rerolling when Orlandu comes.

Even if it means missing out on Ariana.

I mean, I'd reroll for Noctis, and then ALSO pick up Ariana, if there's still time to max her out before the event ends (I think there is, if you just focus on it)

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Mile'ionaha posted:

Even if it means missing out on Ariana.

I mean, I'd reroll for Noctis, and then ALSO pick up Ariana, if there's still time to max her out before the event ends (I think there is, if you just focus on it)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lf_wVfwpfp8

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
So from what I've seen in the thread, the dagger and gun in event are not worth it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hagie posted:

So from what I've seen in the thread, the dagger and gun in event are not worth it?

The dagger is situationally useful for tank characters who aren't going to be doing the bulk of your damage (aka Cecil) because it gives HP +10%. The gun is hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Maybe a few bucks, I can't remember. Best characters I have so far are 4* Edgar and 4* Luna.

I linked my account to Facebook anyway since I had to move between phones as well so rip me I guess

• Locked thread