Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Exploited tiles are the ones surrounding you districts that the city takes resources from. Basically as the sea demons you want to build along the shoreline as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I got that pretty quick, I am not allowed to build roads and none of my units like being on land. All my trade is on the sea and I'm meant to conquer the ocean tiles and hold them with sea beasts. What I mean is, if my city governor was a cultist lady, and I leveled her up to have +/any then every single tile in my city would show itself as being worth more in everything. Looking at the map would show that now there's +1 food, science, industry, etc, etc. '

When I make the sea dog captain sit in a city, a city on the ocean, and tell him +10 happiness per "exploited sea tile", none of those sea tiles get +10 happiness visually on the map to confirm I'm doing it right.

Anyway a weird thing happened yesterday. My friend had spent 20 turns building up the megapole, and I was struggling for resources. I was going the husbandry -> canal locks route and when I researched stockpiles and bought the last resources from the market, I built the megapole in 4 turns.

I get the message "hey, you built the megapole" and my friend is like "haha, yes, I got it"
and I said are you sure I didn't get it?
and he said no i've been working on this for 20 turns it said I got it
and as I lean in and look the megapole is only 90% complete. I try to build a boroughs on the other side of it, and nope, it's intangible. My friend was to have completed it this turn, and I'm going to complete it next turn, but it cancelled his build, and gave it to me, but I didn't even finish it. He was salty about it all game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Today is endless day? And there's a weird goddam quest that unlocks some guy? If I do the quest, and unlock the guy, will he be available for every game that isn't started on today? Or else why do I give a poo poo that its endless day?

Does "unlocked" mean "forever" or "just this game" or "just games started on endless days".

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just the games you've started today. Think there's an achievement tied to it but you can mess with your comp clock if you're ever bothered to grab that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Today is endless day? And there's a weird goddam quest that unlocks some guy? If I do the quest, and unlock the guy, will he be available for every game that isn't started on today? Or else why do I give a poo poo that its endless day?

Does "unlocked" mean "forever" or "just this game" or "just games started on endless days".

If you finish the quest, he's unlocked forever.

Or in Dungeons' case, I think you just need to get three floors with him in the party.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Endless Day is more for the celebration of the dev studio. Go ahead and ignore the quest if you want. He is a neat character but not overpowered at all. You miss on doing the quest? They tied it to your system clock on purpose. The Endless Space achievement is also quite easy. Make a completely gimped harmony, use a tiny galaxy, and just go to town with endless difficulty.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Krinkle posted:

Dunno about Endless Legend, but Dungeon of the Endless unlocked a dude I can use whenever.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I THINK the EL quest when finished unlocks him as a random hero at the marketplace from then on.

EDIT: \/ yeah, the in game events are the same. I'm sure ES2 will have a new one next year.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 22, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is the hero the ghost dude from before?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

It's a haunt, yeah. I threw that game out because I did that thing.
I did that thing where everything WAS timed perfectly. And then I found a 2nd city before setting my growth plan and eating my luxuries so I hosed myself over because now everything's too expensive. But like if I had done it the other way around I'd have gotten everything.

I think there needs to be a whoops let me start this turn over button because goddamn I can't stop myself from making a city if I finally get to where I want it.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 22, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I think there needs to be a whoops let me start this turn over button because goddamn I can't stop myself from making a city if I finally get to where I want it.

the game autosaves at the start of every turn. Keeps saves around 10 turns back iirc.

EDIT: \/ The Allayi and Morg have some weird movement quirks due to their special movement abilities. Usually it's just a visual glitch and they'll get where you want them to go.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 22, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What the heck, are the Allayi heroes glitched? My starting hero dude keeps trying to retreat/walk back and forth in battles unless I make him attack the enemy.

Mokinokaro posted:

the game autosaves at the start of every turn. Keeps saves around 10 turns back iirc.

This saved my skin when the autobattle kept saying "you'll win handily!" and then killing off my seekers. :mad: Thanks!

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

What the heck, are the Allayi heroes glitched? My starting hero dude keeps trying to retreat/walk back and forth in battles unless I make him attack the enemy.

Yes, the AI for Allayi heroes is bugged, and their default order each turn will be to move one space in a random direction (they will fire their bow after the move if something is in range, at least). You can see that they're going to do it and overwrite it with a manual order, and once you get them to actually move into battle they seem to stay on track for the rest of that battle. You're going to want to manually control any battle that contains an Allayi hero, but of course you should be manually controlling any battle that isn't completely trivial anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Is the hero the ghost dude from before?

The ghost dude's name is different in ES, EL and Dungeon, so it's apparently three different Haunts? I don't know. Haunts are weird, man. They're probably what's left of the Virtual Endless, but even that isn't confirmed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

IAmUnaware posted:

Yes, the AI for Allayi heroes is bugged, and their default order each turn will be to move one space in a random direction (they will fire their bow after the move if something is in range, at least). You can see that they're going to do it and overwrite it with a manual order, and once you get them to actually move into battle they seem to stay on track for the rest of that battle. You're going to want to manually control any battle that contains an Allayi hero, but of course you should be manually controlling any battle that isn't completely trivial anyway.

That lines up with what I'm seeing, thanks - that seems like a particularly egregious bug for the game to have, but...well, Amplitude, small studio, everyone's probably busy with ES2.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

StrixNebulosa posted:

That lines up with what I'm seeing, thanks - that seems like a particularly egregious bug for the game to have, but...well, Amplitude, small studio, everyone's probably busy with ES2.

Tbf there was a patch with bug fixes just on thursday :v: It's worth having a look on their forums and seeing if it's already been raised or not. The devs are pretty good about responding.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Any news on when the next patch for Endless Space 2 is gonna drop? I'm super fed up of the tech tree right now and having to pick from such a limited pool of what appear to be so many vital techs. Endless Legend got the balance just right, and this build of ES2 doesn't.

loving love the UE influence spend mechanic though.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 23, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They've got it up on the beta channel on Steam, so you could opt into it there if you want. Otherwise, I'm not sure when it'll get pushed live. Maybe later this week?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'll check it out, heard it's not optimised but what the hey. Thanks!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello thread! Quick question; is E.Legend worth buying in this steam sale? Steam reviews are one thing, but I'd like the grognard consensus. My background: I enjoyed Civ5, Civ6 will have to wait a few years until patches come out, Stellaris was promising but broken, and E.Space was really lacking in fluff with a boring tech tree and meh combat. This looks kinda like Age of Wonders3 (which I liked) glued in with E.Space's planet gui?

Is E.Legend worth my 20 bucks, and more importantly 20+ hours to figure out the systems?

edit:vv SOLD, good sir

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 23, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Serephina posted:

Hello thread! Quick question; is E.Legend worth buying in this steam sale? Steam reviews are one thing, but I'd like the grognard consensus. My background: I enjoyed Civ5, Civ6 will have to wait a few years until patches come out, Stellaris was promising but broken, and E.Space was really lacking in fluff with a boring tech tree and meh combat. Is E.Legend worth my 20 bucks?

Endless Legend is a mechanically superior game to Civ 5 imo. Buy it and as much dlc as you can afford

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Serephina posted:

Hello thread! Quick question; is E.Legend worth buying in this steam sale? Steam reviews are one thing, but I'd like the grognard consensus. My background: I enjoyed Civ5, Civ6 will have to wait a few years until patches come out, Stellaris was promising but broken, and E.Space was really lacking in fluff with a boring tech tree and meh combat. This looks kinda like Age of Wonders3 (which I liked) glued in with E.Space's planet gui?

Is E.Legend worth my 20 bucks, and more importantly 20+ hours to figure out the systems?

edit:vv SOLD, good sir

The game is incredible. I know you've already been sold on it but it's honestly more compelling to me than Civ V so far - combat is handled better (It's me, I love the little mini-tactical grid they give you), city management is fun! and just...I really love it so far? Not to mention how pretty it all is.

I think my favorite mechanic about the game so far is how the citystate-equivalents are handled - they're all a cross between barbarian camps and citystates, where they spawn hostile units and you can wreck 'em for exp, but you can also get quests from them to pacify them and if you settle a city in their region they join your empire and you can build their units. It just makes the world really feel alive? Moreso than the gorgeous map, I mean.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm more used to Civ5, with a solid thousand hours in it, but Endless Legend is the only other strategy game I really like.

e: but I don't like the combat. I just make a bunch of big armies and set to autoresolve.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Endless Space is okay to good, depending how into the mechanics you are.

Endless Legend is incredible and should be bought by any Civ/strategy fan immediately (with all of its dlc)

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Anyone know if ES2 is going to go on sale ever while still in early access? Was hoping it would go on sale during this set of steam sales but no luck.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endless legend is a civ empire building game with not-nonexistent-combat-mechanics

Age of wonders 3 is a combat focused game with not-nonexistent-empire-building-mechanics

If you played AoW3 and said "I don't care about fighting much, but I care a lot about city management" then EL is the game for you. It's a lot more like civilization games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cerious posted:

Anyone know if ES2 is going to go on sale ever while still in early access? Was hoping it would go on sale during this set of steam sales but no luck.

I think Legend went on sale almost immediately after full release.

However Amplitude has said Space 2 will have a price increase when it hits 1.0

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Mokinokaro posted:

I think Legend went on sale almost immediately after full release.

However Amplitude has said Space 2 will have a price increase when it hits 1.0

Thanks, probably just going to sell off some of my marketable items to pick it up when the next big update rolls out.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Endless Legend 2 preview build trip report - I lost a piss-easy quest battle because my ships wouldn't attack. Wait for the actual release.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In endless legend 1 what makes it so you attack a city, kill literally everyone inside it, and then you don't get the city and they get another turn?

Because the AI is taking my poo poo in one turn and here goes attempt 5 to reclaim my unopposed city : Still not my city again. What the gently caress?

Eight times. I've fought my own city eight times and it won't give it back to me what is going on?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 23, 2017

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I ran into this too once, I think it has something to do with militia respawning in another of your opponent's cities that is close enough to be included as reinforcements in the battle.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I walked away and killed a different city and then when I came back it worked. That was infuriating.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I was playing my friend who was cultists and I was the dog fish people and I killed every city but his and he was closing in on a story victory so i had to try attacking the vatican and found that with 900 extra health from his fortificiation bonuses it was literally impossible to even give a militia a papercut in six rounds.
I guess I gotta learn what sieging does. Where is the information for how long I gotta siege something before I can attack it? Does he get that fortification bonus if he attacks out of the city to my sieging force?

How early access is Endless Space 2?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It decreases the city fortification by a certain amount every turn, depending on how strong your units are.

So if you sat there and sieged his city for 20 turns you would've gotten to fight his militia Sans fortification

If he attacks you I don't believe he gets fortification bonus

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I was playing my friend who was cultists and I was the dog fish people and I killed every city but his and he was closing in on a story victory so i had to try attacking the vatican and found that with 900 extra health from his fortificiation bonuses it was literally impossible to even give a militia a papercut in six rounds.
I guess I gotta learn what sieging does. Where is the information for how long I gotta siege something before I can attack it? Does he get that fortification bonus if he attacks out of the city to my sieging force?

Look at that number by the city's size. That's the siege defense. When you're sieging there's a negative by it. That's how much defense will be taken off each turn while you're sieging. If you attack during the siege, that defense is added to the hp of the enemy force. If the enemy force decides to fight you, they lose their siege defense. Think of it as if they're lowering the drawbridge to clean out the rabble.

To be fair, your friend is cultist and they only get their one city. It's going to be pretty intense to take over if he's built it up.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Krinkle posted:

How early access is Endless Space 2?

It's very sleek and pretty already, but a fair amount of mid- to late-game content isn't implemented yet, some things are kinda over- and under-powered, and the AI is a bit dumb.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Buckwheat Sings posted:

To be fair, your friend is cultist and they only get their one city. It's going to be pretty intense to take over if he's built it up.

It was more than fair it was just the point when I can't not learn what sieging does, is all. Love to see someone with a third my victory score hold off the implacable sea.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Can someone post Endless Space 2 for idiots? Maybe just 4X for idiots, as on normal I find myself either getting stomped in an early war because I spent all my production on improvements, or I survive/win that one and then usually lose on score.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just found out about endless space 2, I almost picked it up early access and then I watched some recent videos on it and even the super hyped true believers are constantly tripping over horrible bugs and content holes. I should probably wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They claim it's still in alpha, and that's believable. It's interesting as a preview for what they're attempting, but it's not exactly playable yet.