Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

"Is it as bad as MoS?" is genuinely a very useful criterion for me on a regular basis.

It's very strange and uncritical to treat MoS is an inescapable trauma, just like performative and ritualistic fear and hatred of director Zack Snyder. It's understandable why he drove people insane: because his movie denied and killed the comforting fantasy of superheroes. What people liked about Superman was the assuring paternalism, and there's a general feeling that Snyder fundamentally broke something. What they don't realize that it was good of him to do so. This is why people start to mumble when they have to explain why the movie is bad: there's nothing actually wrong with the story, the story just disturbs them to the extent that they frame it as a nihilist-Objectivist nightmare.

Like Lex Luthor's character in the BvS: complaints were bandied about how he didn't make sense, he was contradictory, annoying, and unbelievable. Now that Donald J. Trump is President of the United States of America, it's awfully clear that people hated Zuckerberg's Luthor because he was too realistic a figure.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

Also, while we're on a fan-casting tangent: Glenn Howerton (Dennis from "It's Always Sunny...") for the Joker. Adam Devine (demamp from "Workaholics") for Hal Jordan. Or maybe Guy Gardner. The dude is a living Kevin Maguire drawing. Hell, he could play anyone (male) from JLI. He'd be a great Max Lord. drat, now I want a JLI series.

Adam Devine really bugs me, and I can barely articulate why. I've only seen him in a bunch of stupid ads and those Pitch Perfect movies my wife loves, but I think of him as having a very "punchable face," and then I feel bad for thinking it. Other actors who have gotten under my skin through no fault of their own include Eric Balfour (who?) and Jack Noseworthy (who?).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man of Steel is, like, a baseline for superhero movies. Not terrible, not fantastic. Just somewhere comfortably in the middle between Thor 1 and 2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Adam Devine really bugs me, and I can barely articulate why. I've only seen him in a bunch of stupid ads and those Pitch Perfect movies my wife loves, but I think of him as having a very "punchable face," and then I feel bad for thinking it. Other actors who have gotten under my skin through no fault of their own include Eric Balfour (who?) and Jack Noseworthy (who?).

Adam Devine is just sort of there in everything except Workaholics. Eric Balfour seems to have dug his own career grave as he was hot poo poo #1 with a bullet and then suddenly struggling to get work in commercials. (There's a funny BTVS story about him I need to dig up). I think Noseworthy did the same thing, somebody told him he was the next big thing and he started acting like it and it cost him work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CzarChasm posted:

"It not you, it Gambit: the Movie"

Does the character really talk like this? Is he really stupid or something? Or some
Weird tiny Hulk man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Does the character really talk like this? Is he really stupid or something? Or some
Weird tiny Hulk man?

In the X-Men '92 cartoon he indeed did talk like this. He switched back and forth from third person several times per episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate this character and I've never read a single comic with him. I only know who he is from the lovely Wolverine movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's because he can't act and his voice is dumber than his face.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

In the X-Men '92 cartoon he indeed did talk like this. He switched back and forth from third person several times per episode.

My favourite one is when they go to the Savage Land and lose their powers, and Gambit cries, "No! Gambit have no power either!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't find it right now, can someone please post the page with Mr. Sinister and his Gambit clones for the benefit of CelticPredator?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite one is when they go to the Savage Land and lose their powers, and Gambit cries, "No! Gambit have no power either!"

"Always remember that Gambit, loves you."

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Chill Penguin posted:

Also, while we're on a fan-casting tangent: Glenn Howerton (Dennis from "It's Always Sunny...") for the Joker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrRsF0UGFY

I could totally see abusive, vain Dennis Reynolds Joker painstakingly explaining the tenets of the J.O.K.E.R. system to Harley Quinn.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Interesting reading quite a few of the posts pouring scorn on the WW rumours. Its EXACTLY the same scenario as pre-BvS. Wake up and realise WB hasn't a loving clue what they are doing and that they will have killed the DC movie franchise by 2018. I actually think there's a danger they can bring other poo poo down with them, I'm starting to get a little jaded about Marvel's stuff now having been a big fanboi for nearly 10 years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wanna peek at the alternate universe where the sales boost of the New 52 didn't lead to scrapping the actual comic book division of DC, just because I think it'd be interesting if the long run failure of the movies would then maybe result in selling the characters to Marvel, which almost happened in like, the eighties.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

Interesting reading quite a few of the posts pouring scorn on the WW rumours. Its EXACTLY the same scenario as pre-BvS. Wake up and realise WB hasn't a loving clue what they are doing and that they will have killed the DC movie franchise by 2018. I actually think there's a danger they can bring other poo poo down with them, I'm starting to get a little jaded about Marvel's stuff now having been a big fanboi for nearly 10 years.

No it's not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Insider sources say WW is a huge mess exactly like Suicide Squad.

So Wonder Woman's gonna make like a billion bucks then.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean I loving loved BvS and everything we've seen of Wonder Woman doesn't seem similar, but if it is I certainly won't mind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phylodox posted:

Man of Steel is, like, a baseline for superhero movies. Not terrible, not fantastic. Just somewhere comfortably in the middle between Thor 1 and 2.

Man of Steel is great right up until the scene where Pa Kent tells Clark he shouldn't help people. It's all downhill from that point on. I'd say Iron Man 1 is a better baseline. It's consistent the whole way through, it's just kind of okay, and it has a very standard plot and villain.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man of Steel is great right up until the scene where Pa Kent tells Clark he shouldn't help people. It's all downhill from that point on. I'd say Iron Man 1 is a better baseline. It's consistent the whole way through, it's just kind of okay, and it has a very standard plot and villain.

Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges alone elevate Iron Man above the baseline. Doubly so once you take into account they were flying blind half the time, with no script because of the writers' strike.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Weird tiny Hulk man?

He's supposed to have a thick Cajun accent, and also be really full of himself, so it kinda makes sense.

Except that quote is from a note he left, and that's just silly nonsense.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

He's supposed to have a thick Cajun accent, and also be really full of himself, so it kinda makes sense.

Except that quote is from a note he left, and that's just silly nonsense.

Maybe Gambit wasn't really Gambit, and he just kept trying to tell everyone about this other guy but everyone kept thinking he was talking about himself in the third person.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Robert Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges alone elevate Iron Man above the baseline. Doubly so once you take into account they were flying blind half the time, with no script because of the writers' strike.

Yeah, the best Marvel movies really are carried by having great actors. I'd say that's why Agent Carter's TV series is so great, because the cast is so drat strong in their roles even though the plots are your standard retro spy stuff.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

Maybe Gambit wasn't really Gambit, and he just kept trying to tell everyone about this other guy but everyone kept thinking he was talking about himself in the third person.

Gambit is the name Remy's stand. Actually, this is false, because his stand's name would be [T H E G A M B L E R]

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Always Sunny Dennis was allegedly #2 after Pratt for Star Lord. I wonder how that turns out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Electromax posted:

Always Sunny Dennis was allegedly #2 after Pratt for Star Lord. I wonder how that turns out.

I think that would have actually turned out really well. Probably not as well as Pratt though as Howerton isn't quite as naturally likable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just can't see Glenn Howerton carrying a Marvel movie. I love the Sunny cast, but Devito is really the only one with any range. Charlie Day plays a version of himself with minor variations in every single movie he's been in. Kaitlin Olson is amazing at physical comedy, probably the best in the cast, but she's playing the exact same character on The Mick. They're all good TV actors, but movie leads? :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but we all said the same stuff about Chris Pratt.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Electromax posted:

Man that wouldve been awful, quill may be a jerk but hes supposed to be charming and charismatic

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Where the gently caress is my Thor 3 trailer Taika? :mad:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Where the gently caress is my Thor 3 trailer Taika? :mad:

Probably attached to Guardians 2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just can't see Glenn Howerton carrying a Marvel movie. I love the Sunny cast, but Devito is really the only one with any range. Charlie Day plays a version of himself with minor variations in every single movie he's been in. Kaitlin Olson is amazing at physical comedy, probably the best in the cast, but she's playing the exact same character on The Mick. They're all good TV actors, but movie leads? :shrug:

They should do Agents of SWORD and just cast everyone from Always Sunny.

Just a bunch of assholes hanging around a space bar, fighting off alien threats.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

X-O posted:

I think that would have actually turned out really well. Probably not as well as Pratt though as Howerton isn't quite as naturally likable.

Howerton with an extra 50 pounds of muscle would be fine for the original style "Kind of a well meaning sociopath" Starlord, but Pratt nails the "Semi-retarded goof" Starlord.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

They should do Agents of SWORD and just cast everyone from Always Sunny.

Just a bunch of assholes hanging around a space bar, fighting off alien threats.

Danny Devito should be Pip the Troll. You know it's right.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X-O posted:

Probably attached to Guardians 2.
Look I just want to see Space Jeff Goldblum already!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Look I just want to see Space Jeff Goldblum already!

You're in luck!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

You're in luck!

Oh my god, it's Gladiator!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They've never been given a chance. Chris Pratt just played Chris Pratt in every movie until Guardians. Like people hire Charlie to be a Charlie. They hire Olsen to be Dee.

Once they're get a chance you can say they have no range.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man of Steel is great right up until the scene where Pa Kent tells Clark he shouldn't help people. It's all downhill from that point on.

This is a pretty good example. No one can actually name what's wrong with that scene. They'll say that it's morally wrong (it really isn't), but a character stating something morally wrong doesn't actually make a scene or movie bad. Instead, what people are offended is that Jonathan "Pa" Kent is saying it in the first place. It was a very common point brought up by comic book fans, The paternal figure is supposed to offer comfort. This is the basic appeal of the Superman mythos for many fans (a Superdickery story will reveal that Superman was being good all along while merely acting bizarre or violent, like an apologia for an abusive parent). Instead of comfort, Pa Kent offers freedom, and fans hate the movie for it.

site posted:

Man that wouldve been awful, quill may be a jerk but hes supposed to be charming and charismatic

He's also supposed to be desperate, manipulative would-be hero leading a team of professionals on suicide missions, which was abandoned early on in favour of the "makeshift family" theme. I think what the character is supposed to be is a secondary concern at this point.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 22, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Who would be a good Wolverine moving forward since Jackman appears to be done. I can't think of anyone.

E; Cross posting but I wonder why no one has ever thought about making Plastic Man movie. I think there's a lot of potential there for a really cool film, especially with the proper tone.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

E; Cross posting but I wonder why no one has ever thought about making Plastic Man movie. I think there's a lot of potential there for a really cool film, especially with the proper tone.
For a long time, the Wachowskis were rumored to be planning a Plastic Man movie, perhaps with Jim Carrey.

• Locked thread