Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Joel McHale has always been my choice to play Booster Gold, since he already played a VERY similar character on Community. Like Booster, Jeff Winger was a cocky, arrogant jerk until he made friends, joined a team, and learned to be a better, more selfless person. And McHale is a former college football player, just like Booster.

Add Adam Scott as Blue Beetle, and we have a superhero buddy action comedy for the ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tom Cruise would be a pretty great Booster too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

Turner looks like a drag queen.

I want to apologize to everyone for the tangent this post started. A few hours prior to that post I was informed that a friend of mine had died and I was not reacting well and made quite a few mean spirited posts. It doesn't excuse what I said, I still don't like Turner as an actress but I could have conveyed it in a far less horrible manner.

Again, I apologize to everyone for this, it was absolutely not appropriate.

Edited for clarity.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 21, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I want to apologize to everyone for the tangent this post started. A few hours prior to that post I was informed that a friend of mine had died and I was not reacting well and made quite a few mean spirited posts. It doesn't excuse what I said, I still don't like Turner as an actress but I could have conveyed it in a far less horrible manner.

Edited for clarity.

It's okay. We know you're going through a tough time. Hope you can get out of this funk and feel better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

It's okay. We know you're going through a tough time. Hope you can get out of this funk and feel better.

Not everyone reads every BSS thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Edited for clarity.

That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear it and wish you and their loves ones whatever comfort is possible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Not everyone reads every BSS thread.

I mean, yeah, I guess you have a point. Either way, I'm not holding it against you.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I recently lost a friend in the Oakland Ghost Ship fire, and it made me really weird and unpleasant for a couple weeks. I still don't like thinking about it. I feel you dude, there's no medicine for it but time, but time will alleviate it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've been posting weird poo poo for a while because of political stuff driving me loving insane.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, Rhyno. Try and hold your head up and be easy, man.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Let me guess, he's dour and unlikable?

Both of these things are true about him though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sony Entertainment CEO is quitting and Sony is considering selling off its entire Movie and TV division. This includes the IP rights to Spiderman animated and live action films.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/19/sony-is-weighing-a-sale-of-film-tv-business/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

Imagine someone reading Le Morte D'Arthur, or Jane Eyre, or watching the Conan the Barbarian movie, or heck, Batman or Iron Man, and complaining that any character is "dour" and "unlikable".

Now you hopefully understand how silly it is to criticize fiction like that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mordred is a loving piece of poo poo. I hate that guy.

Hi I'm King Arthur I'm going gently caress my sister and name my son more dread surely this will have no consequences.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony Entertainment CEO is quitting and Sony is considering selling off its entire Movie and TV division. This includes the IP rights to Spiderman animated and live action films.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/19/sony-is-weighing-a-sale-of-film-tv-business/

Well, so long MCU Spider-Man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Nooo you walked right into his trap!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Mordred is a loving piece of poo poo. I hate that guy.

Hi I'm King Arthur I'm going gently caress my sister and name my son more dread surely this will have no consequences.

King Arthur killed a whole bunch of babies in order to get rid of Mordred.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's just what revisionist wizards want you to believe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well, so long MCU Spider-Man.

I'd assume any sale would include the contract for Spider-Man in the MCU, so it'd be safe until the terms of that contract either run out or get bought out. Plus that's assuming Disney don't buy the rights back.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

SonicRulez posted:

That's not the same. GotG was coming and everyone went "Why?" Gambit was coming and then not coming and then coming again and then not. It's confusing as to why they keep trying despite the only buzz around it being the trouble it's had being released.

Gambit come when he ready, cherie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Imagine someone reading Le Morte D'Arthur, or Jane Eyre, or watching the Conan the Barbarian movie, or heck, Batman or Iron Man, and complaining that any character is "dour" and "unlikable".

Now you hopefully understand how silly it is to criticize fiction like that.

I'll admit liking the picture books more than anything else you listed, so I can only speak to those. Batman and Iron Man being broody dicks is at the center of basically all fiction surrounding them. And has been for years and years. There are definitely exceptions like BatB Bats or MCU's Iron Man who are both pretty likable characters. Can't say the same for Snyder's Superman. The difference is that he is "dour and unlikable" but everyone else treats him like the messiah. Like literally The Messiah.

The main protagonist of a story being at odds with the world around them is a totally valid criticism. This is the Roman Reigns effect.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chill Penguin posted:

Gambit come when he ready, cherie.

"It not you, it Gambit: the Movie"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

I'll admit liking the picture books more than anything else you listed, so I can only speak to those. Batman and Iron Man being broody dicks is at the center of basically all fiction surrounding them. And has been for years and years. There are definitely exceptions like BatB Bats or MCU's Iron Man who are both pretty likable characters. Can't say the same for Snyder's Superman. The difference is that he is "dour and unlikable" but everyone else treats him like the messiah. Like literally The Messiah.

The main protagonist of a story being at odds with the world around them is a totally valid criticism. This is the Roman Reigns effect.

You seem to be stuck on how this Superman isn't "inspiring" enough and doesn't "earn" admiration, like how he's treated like the Messiah in the movie's world despite not really being one. The truth is that was actually the point: Superman wasn't the Messiah. The people treating him as God or Antichrist were all misguided. He was a heroic person with immense power, but was brought down because of everyone else's fears and expectations BvS makes a point of comparing Doomsday to the False God statue).

Superman is gloomy in the movies, because he is a rather dysfunctional blue collar dude in a dysfunctional world. There's nothing odd or worth criticizing in that. It's not even much of a reason to dislike someone, let alone a fictional character.

So if there's no reason to dislike him for his personality, what else is there to hate him for? It's not like he's a bad superhero. He saves the world and even when dying he manages to stop a rampaging monster. He regularly saves people, so they look up to him. He's not responsible for what Zod and Luthor choose to do, as he can't actually control things. He wasn't responsible for Metropolis's destruction except in the broadest of conditions. He doesn't act morally wrong: killing Zod or threatening Batman weren't actually ethically wrong actions. So what's there to dislike about him? Well, he wrecked that truck, I guess.

The difference with characters who are "supposed" to be dour and unlikable is that they seem to facilitate a power fantasy. Batman and Iron Man are assholes, but you can enjoy it and feel (falsely) empowered as they inflict terrible violence or wield the coolest gadgets. Sure, they're worse, but you can enjoy watching them destroy the criminal Other. They're comforting fantasies. Snyder denies comfort with his Superman, which is the real reason why some viewers find him frustrating.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 21, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

I'd assume any sale would include the contract for Spider-Man in the MCU, so it'd be safe until the terms of that contract either run out or get bought out. Plus that's assuming Disney don't buy the rights back.

Yeah, there's no way Disney wouldn't be able to outspend Fox to keep Spider-Man in-house.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Would Sony even be able to sell the rights to Spiderman? You'd think Disney or Marvel would build something in their contract about non-transferable rights.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't imagine how joyless a Fox Spider-man film would be.

Now I'm picturing a black leather version of Ben Reilly's costume, minus the logo and mask because those are just silly.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He might be as joyless as Deadpool, even.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anora posted:

Would Sony even be able to sell the rights to Spiderman? You'd think Disney or Marvel would build something in their contract about non-transferable rights.

Sure, Sony owns the film rights as assets so it can sell them. I'm not sure whether Marvel would've had any provisions about buying them back since I think that would be highly unusual for a commercial contract of that type, and in any event I imagine the Marvel that sold them was more focused on getting a quick capital injection to avoid total insolvency than in the long-term plans for recovering the rights. :shrug:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

purple death ray posted:

Nooo you walked right into his trap!

You were right and I am sorry.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Also, while we're on a fan-casting tangent: Glenn Howerton (Dennis from "It's Always Sunny...") for the Joker. Adam Devine (demamp from "Workaholics") for Hal Jordan. Or maybe Guy Gardner. The dude is a living Kevin Maguire drawing. Hell, he could play anyone (male) from JLI. He'd be a great Max Lord. drat, now I want a JLI series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, there's no way Disney wouldn't be able to outspend Fox to keep Spider-Man in-house.

Seeing as how Disney has more money than God, yeah, this would just mean they would buy the rights back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Seeing as how Disney has more money than God, yeah, this would just mean they would buy the rights back.

Ooh, maybe they could buy back Spectacular Spider-Man, too!

Edit: also, holy poo poo, they're waiting until the Emoji Movie comes out because they think they might get a better price if it becomes a successful franchise. :allears: It's stuff like signing off on an Emoji Movie that got you into this mess, Sony!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

"It not you, it Gambit: the Movie"

:snicker:

This is wonderful.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Chill Penguin posted:

Also, while we're on a fan-casting tangent: Glenn Howerton (Dennis from "It's Always Sunny...") for the Joker. Adam Devine (demamp from "Workaholics") for Hal Jordan. Or maybe Guy Gardner. The dude is a living Kevin Maguire drawing. Hell, he could play anyone (male) from JLI. He'd be a great Max Lord. drat, now I want a JLI series.

If you're gonna cast someone from Always Sunny as The Joker, you gotta go with Nate Mooney/Ryan McPoyle.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

I can't imagine how joyless a Fox Spider-man film would be.

Now I'm picturing a black leather version of Ben Reilly's costume, minus the logo and mask because those are just silly.
Could be worse could be a WB owned Zack Snyder Spider-man movie

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

achillesforever6 posted:

Could be worse could be a WB owned Zack Snyder Spider-man movie

Ty for saying this in this the age of trump where all possible bad things happen

Rhyno posted:

Edited for clarity.

Yeeeeah wasnt too happy about this one but i feel where ya coming from and i hope things get better for you and i appreciate the apology <3

site fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 21, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As horrible as Rhyno's comment was, it still managed to be better than Henry Cavill's Superman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:downsrim:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Is it as bad as MoS?" is genuinely a very useful criterion for me on a regular basis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really am sorry and I've reached out to a half dozen or so goons via PM and realized I couldn't reach everyone which is what prompted the posts. My grief does not excuse my comments, I've said terrible things on these forums in the past. But I really do enjoy BSS these days and I don't want to make myself unwelcome. If anyone wants to hash it out with me please take me to task or PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had a close friend suddenly die right before my Birthday, and I attempted to only do things that brought me joy, so My first choice was watch Guardians of the Galaxy, which starts with Peter's mom dying. Good choice.

• Locked thread