Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also within a weapon category different weapons have different scaling. For example, I have:

Tachi:
heart bonus B+
strength bonus D+
Skill bonus C+

Uchigatana:
heart bonus B+
strength bonus C
skill bonus C

So that changes things, the Tachi favors skill where the Uchi gets as much from skill as strength. (Both get the most from heart, obviously, as they're 2 kinds of katanas)

Dual Katanas:
heart D+
strength C+
skill B+

Kusarigama:
body D+
skill C+
dexterity B+

So it seems like a really balanced system with tons of options to me. Don't obsess about min/maxing your stats allll that much. If there's any point where you start getting diminishing returns, it might even make more sense to take a few points of say, skill as a katana over taking a few points of heart. We'll have to really play the whole game to get a feel for the meta, but it looks very open to experimentation and different builds to me!

Kusari and Katana both getting C+ in Skill looks pretty viable to level both, with a few points in heart and dex like I was saying. :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I started to see a slightly lesser gain when I put in STR 20, but it was like 1 point and didn't matter since it still leads to fun times with a hammer. Also, stamina raises Hammer strength as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I started to see a slightly lesser gain when I put in STR 20, but it was like 1 point and didn't matter since it still leads to fun times with a hammer. Also, stamina raises Hammer strength as well.

I mean, we're not going to hit the diminishing returns point in the beta. It'll be a more long term thing. In lower levels you'll definitely get the most benefit from just dumping all stats into whatever gives one weapon the most boost.

Still, the difference between C+ and B+ doesn't seem to be game-breakingly different or anything. It gives you an edge if you completely specialize in one fighting style, which kinda makes sense. Also leaves you vulnerable to the weaknesses of that style, you don't have anything else to swap to if you go that min/max B+ route versus picking the C+ skill that multiple share.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

keep in mind that armor also benefits from different stats by unlocking more abilities, as well as guardian spirits for passive bonuses. so there's tons of incentives to spread your stats around a bit

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CuddlyZombie posted:

How long does it take to get the ogre bonus item? And do we have a confirmed end time? I won't be home until tomorrow afternoon at the absolute earliest :(

If you invite a companion, you should be able to get the whole stage done in less than an hour.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I beat the level but only got the two marks. How exactly do you unlock the ogre hat?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yay. Tried out Nioh for the first time today. Everything looked confusing, but things went much better than expected - I soldiered through with the awesome Kusarigama with its various chain whirlwind moves and that cool grappling hook maneuver. That, and guns. I like how technical the combat feels, even more so than Dark Souls, and the sheer variety of skills on offer looks amazing. I only learned about the Ninja and Magic skill tabs after I had beaten the Ogress! Definitely gotta try those out later.
As for the Ogress: after two dumb deaths, I discovered how easy she can be clowned if you just stick to her front like glue :v: All her claw attacks whiff completely, INCLUDING her frenzied super-long combo. As far as I know, she never pulls out the firebreath on that distance, so there's only two things to look out for, both of which have pretty generous tells: the move where she slams her claws into the ground (just... dodge to the side) and her jump attack (just... dodge to the side, too). I basically kept whacking her in the chin with the high stance block + heavy combo move. And apparently she's extra weak against being shot in the face, like... most things, really!

It really does look like a more combat-focused Souls game. I'd love to see some more unusual boss concepts too, and more fun environmental stuff like traps and whatnot! Gonna buy this for sure.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

There is slightly; heart is best for katana and dexterity is best for kusari but skill benefits both.

And you can mix stats between vitality, heart, dexterity and skill and seems to work pretty well for me?

Once I respecced I went heavily into Heart, with enough Spirit to get all of the guardian spirit bonuses in the demo and enough Body and Strength for medium armor and it worked out really well, so I'm sure there'd be room to go for Skill instead and wear light armor if I wanted to use kusarigama.

I was surprised at how much easier I found the Ogress in the twilight mission after I'd already beaten Muneshige. The lightning sword his mission gives is awesome as hell for a katana + Spirit build.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh wow, and one of the random special diablo effects you can get on a weapon drop is damage bonus in another stat it normally doesn't scale in.

I just got a kusarigama that has C- agility scaling as a bonus trait, on top of D+ body, C+ skill and B+ dexterity.

This game is gonna have all kinds of build options! :dance:

So you could get a Kusarigama that has C- in heart scaling (or better?) in addition to skill and dex, and have even more overlap between katana and kusari.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Muneshige fight was dope

How do I make the shrines loving shut up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, and one of the random special diablo effects you can get on a weapon drop is damage bonus in another stat it normally doesn't scale in.

I just got a kusarigama that has C- agility scaling as a bonus trait, on top of D+ body, C+ skill and B+ dexterity.

This game is gonna have all kinds of build options! :dance:

So you could get a Kusarigama that has C- in heart scaling (or better?) in addition to skill and dex, and have even more overlap between katana and kusari.

Yeah, Muneshige's lightning sword has a B scaling in Spirit on top of the normal katana scaling, so I was really drat happy to get it. Pretty much perfect for the build I was doing. I Soul Matched it with a stronger katana to increase its attack and tore poo poo up in the twilight mission.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Please cherish the kodama

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Maybe they can play another tune

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
There are so many weapons and most of them are good so I feel a little guilty marching through both demos with a basic katana.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

There are so many weapons and most of them are good so I feel a little guilty marching through both demos with a basic katana.

I love using all the weapons

I kinda want more wepaons or the unique wepaons to have a slightly different moveset tbh

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

I love using all the weapons

I kinda want more wepaons or the unique wepaons to have a slightly different moveset tbh

Moveset variety is going to come purely from the skills that you purchase, I think. Which is better, imo, since it gives you more control over how they work.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I played trough the first demo with the single katana, the 2nd one with the dual katanas and now I'm trying to use the chain. The high stance absolutely destroys regular human enemies but otherwise I'm not too sold on it. It's cool but feels like against more then 1 enemy it's kinda hard to use. Might be I'm just really rusty on the combat.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you attack it with your weapon the kodama hide.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Demicol posted:

I played trough the first demo with the single katana, the 2nd one with the dual katanas and now I'm trying to use the chain. The high stance absolutely destroys regular human enemies but otherwise I'm not too sold on it. It's cool but feels like against more then 1 enemy it's kinda hard to use. Might be I'm just really rusty on the combat.

It's the same as the other weapons really, in that high stance is good for damage, low stance is good for speed, and mid stance is good for groups.

Mid stance kusarigama is an incredibly wide sweep with the chain.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Demicol posted:

I played all katana the first two demos but now I'm really loving the kusari, you have so many options.

High stance kusari lets you do a ranged attack to pull dudes / poke them, works really well to interrupt some enemies from a safe distance as well, and then they're all stunned and you can move up and backstab them or whatever.

Medium stance kusari lets you do huge sweeping attacks which are fantastic against several opponents.

Low stance kusari has an ABSURDLY fast hitting square-square-square-square-etc. combo, where you just twirl a short part of the end in a tight circle and let it just hit your opponent over and over and over and over. It does TONS of damage and chain-staggers most enemies really well.

But I do switch to katanas for some fights still, like the boss.

Spears seem really good too for keeping your range, and axes just hit like a motherfucker and can kill things stupid fast if you land your hits. I'm gonna have to go back and play using some vastly different weapons, it feels totally different.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That one guy who died and his last regret was he couldn't help that little lost kodama :cry:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good news whoever was asking before: It looks like you can transmog heavy armor appearance over light armor stats, or vise versa. Just did it and only cost a small amount of gold.

That could be deceptive for pvp though :v: Although there's no pvp at launch so no biggie there!

Lakbay posted:

I hope it doesn't have restrictions so I can "wear" the cool heavy armors without actually having to spec into stamina

It doesn't have restrictions beyond weight; but you get bonuses to armor from matching stats to certain armor classes, which is significant. However, you can freely transmog (see above) so no worries, maximum fashion souls!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I like that Muneshige bows to you after he kills you :)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

rare onryoki :toot:

he even managed to attack with them a little bit before he forgot he had them

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've done literally everything available in the demo, I can't wait til launch. Hopefully they fix the DLC thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The skills that "allow you to stance reset on dodge" are probably the most powerful skills in the demo, IMO. Get them ASAP for your chosen weapon and all stances.

It says "allows" but really it should read "makes dodge count as stance reset". Its so much easier to do, and much safer too. Sometimes trying to get off a stance reset means you stand next to an enemy longer and end up eating an attack because after you stance change you don't have another second to dodge. Doing both with one button is both easier on your hands and faster. It also implicitly means you're getting off free dodges that cost 0 stamina.

This also means you can clear the black yokai zones by simply rolling through them, so long as you time the roll at the end of a combo. Super easy.

And if you're ever really struggling fight some of the bloodstains of other players, get their loot, and equip it.

I got sick ninja threads now :ninja:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 22, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lets hang out posted:

rare onryoki :toot:

he even managed to attack with them a little bit before he forgot he had them

woah weird. I found that fight too but he didn't spawn in with the balls, wonder why

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I may have unintentionally found a really broken setup with spirit, onmyo and fast hitting weapons. There's a talisman that gives amrita on hit so if you go into devil trigger you can keep that up for a really long time. I had it up for half the ogress fight with the kusarigama in the twilight version.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

CharlestonJew posted:

woah weird. I found that fight too but he didn't spawn in with the balls, wonder why

Multiplayer makes weird things happen.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

This demo rules, this game is gonna rule.

I've been trying an all-dexterity knife chain build this time, and it's fun as hell. The shuriken all seem kind of wimpy, though, anything make those effective? I know traps were the thing in the last demo, are those still in?

Can't get the hang of high-stance, even though people say it's the way to go for big damage. Those quick dodges on the low stance are just too much fun. Any way to make the high-stance attacks less painfully slow?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trick Question posted:

This demo rules, this game is gonna rule.

I've been trying an all-dexterity knife chain build this time, and it's fun as hell. The shuriken all seem kind of wimpy, though, anything make those effective? I know traps were the thing in the last demo, are those still in?

Can't get the hang of high-stance, even though people say it's the way to go for big damage. Those quick dodges on the low stance are just too much fun. Any way to make the high-stance attacks less painfully slow?

Shuriken are more just for pulling / interrupting enemies. If you want to hit hard, you need at least kunai, or otherwise stuff like the poison grenade or the fire shurikens that explode. :torgue:

Fun thing is if you're going chain, that means dex, and dex also gives you ninjutsu. So you get ninjutsu for free sorta.

For chain, high stance just press Triangle to do a ranged attack and give people a good punch from far enough even a spear can't touch you. Then when they close the distance, switch to mid or low stance. The low stance fast spam attacks are great for 1 on 1, the mid stance is good for groups, and high stance is good for ranged hits. High is also great for dealing with demons you don't want to risk getting close to, you can poke em down a few times and then close and finish them.

High stance is always slower, that's kinda the idea.

PvP in this game is gonna be ridiculous when it gets patched in. Katana duels with AI player bloodstains are already really intense. having to quickly attack, dodge, block your opponent, etc. like dark souls, but also swapping to low stance so you can interrupt your opponent fast, then swapping to mid or high stance mid-combo to do more damage and recover ki to keep comboing... its great. Then you toss in chain and axe and things which play completely differently and change up the rules (axe is harder to interrupt because of all the momentum, chain has ranged attacks, etc) plus ninjutsu, magic, bows, guns... looooots of toys to play with :)

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Shuriken are more just for pulling / interrupting enemies. If you want to hit hard, you need at least kunai, or otherwise stuff like the poison grenade or the fire shurikens that explode. :torgue:

Fun thing is if you're going chain, that means dex, and dex also gives you ninjutsu. So you get ninjutsu for free sorta.

For chain, high stance just press Triangle to do a ranged attack and give people a good punch from far enough even a spear can't touch you. Then when they close the distance, switch to mid or low stance. The low stance fast spam attacks are great for 1 on 1, the mid stance is good for groups, and high stance is good for ranged hits. High is also great for dealing with demons you don't want to risk getting close to, you can poke em down a few times and then close and finish them.

High stance is always slower, that's kinda the idea.

PvP in this game is gonna be ridiculous when it gets patched in. Katana duels with AI player bloodstains are already really intense. having to quickly attack, dodge, block your opponent, etc. like dark souls, but also swapping to low stance so you can interrupt your opponent fast, then swapping to mid or high stance mid-combo to do more damage and recover ki to keep comboing... its great. Then you toss in chain and axe and things which play completely differently and change up the rules (axe is harder to interrupt because of all the momentum, chain has ranged attacks, etc) plus ninjutsu, magic, bows, guns... looooots of toys to play with :)

I meant the shuriken in general - including the poison, fire, kunai, etc. It seems odd that they hit so soft when you can also use that slot for being invisible or more power or turning your enemies stupid for a while. I guess you get a bunch of the basic ones, but still. Although, it could be that I haven't really tried the fire ones on much besides the first boss - I have to get over that urge to save them for when I really need them since you only get, what is it, three?

You say High stance is always slower, but in the previous demo thread people were saying that you should just always be high stance because the DPS is higher with the higher-damage attacks even if it is slower. Is that not the same for the knifechain? That advice about how to use each stance makes a lot of sense, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I keep having the same experience with the nioh demos. the areas are cool and I enjoy them, but then I get to a boss and all the fun is sucked out of it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont think this was posted re: mark of the conqueror

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/823051027641290753

also, the multiplayer still does that thing where it just stops searching or gives you an error. the third result is no suitable matches found, which is at least reasonable

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trick Question posted:

I meant the shuriken in general - including the poison, fire, kunai, etc. It seems odd that they hit so soft when you can also use that slot for being invisible or more power or turning your enemies stupid for a while. I guess you get a bunch of the basic ones, but still. Although, it could be that I haven't really tried the fire ones on much besides the first boss - I have to get over that urge to save them for when I really need them since you only get, what is it, three?

You say High stance is always slower, but in the previous demo thread people were saying that you should just always be high stance because the DPS is higher with the higher-damage attacks even if it is slower. Is that not the same for the knifechain? That advice about how to use each stance makes a lot of sense, though.

I think you only get two of the fire shuriken even, so not many. But it looks like in the full game you can purchase more ranks of the skill to get more of them. In the end as a Ninja you'll have tons of options, and you can do all of that on top of using bows or guns; nothing stops you from doing both. Ninja stuff is more about quick interrupts and hitting people when you dodge back more than just tons of ranged damage. Interrupt people, paralyze them, poison them, stuff like that to keep them weak and then go in and stab em.

But yeah they are a bit weak. Still, I find a few kunai does a good chunk of damage even against nightmare enemies, and can screw up their stamina or interrupt a combo or something too.

Relin posted:

i dont think this was posted re: mark of the conqueror

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/823051027641290753

also, them ultiplayer still does that thing where it just stops searching or gives you an error. the third result is no suitable matches found, which is at least reasonable

You don't have to "choose" either. You get both. And if you can't get them right then, you can always press Square on the main menu to unlock them in the store again later.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't have to "choose" either. You get both. And if you can't get them right then, you can always press Square on the main menu to unlock them in the store again later.
everywhere i see, including this thread, has people saying the MOTC didn't download. they're making it available later, because of incompetence. lest we forget they said you could bypass the first stage in the beta by having dled the MOTC, and it didn't work then either. so not holding my breath for the 3 rewards actually working when the game goes live

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Relin posted:

everywhere i see, including this thread, has people saying the MOTC didn't download. they're making it available later, because of incompetence. lest we forget they said you could bypass the first stage in the beta by having dled the MOTC, and it didn't work then either. so not holding my breath for the 3 rewards actually working when the game goes live

Yeah sure, but either way you don't have to choose :cheeky:

Just a cosmetic helmet anyhow. You weren't supposed to be able to get the mark of the strong I don't think, or at least not that easily, so it may be they unlocked both since conqueror was having issues?

I actually already have conqueror downloaded on my account from a previous beta, but it still gives me the error message in the new trial if I try to cash it in, where the conqueror is just like "you already have this" and doesn't give the error. Maybe its just bugged.

The network seems to have dropped for me a few times throughout the day, although it reconnected easy enough. Hopefully the stress test is teaching them some things and they can improve the back end servers before launch.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

I just got summoned by someone in Twilight that ignored a kodama I stood on (there's no way he didn't see it), then summoned a revenant. Uhh what the gently caress are people doing in this game. no guy, don't fight the enemies on the way to the boss, you can just run past them and take zero damage

edit: looks like environmental items are on the ground whether a host has picked them up or not? i've also seen hosts retrieve their spirits but different animal spirits are still present

Relin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKUyWLRQn4 first strike must kill

edit: just to be clear, this is someone one-shotting Muneshige

This owns a lot and I will definitely be doing a barehanded run