Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't wait to get 900 things by exploring. I got 900 things by exploring in Banjo Kazooie too and it was great :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
You should think of it less as 900 things they thought would be a great addition to the game and just HAD to include, and more of 900 things they just slapped on top of an already completed game because they had time and resources left over.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
900 poe's souls.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
900 pounds because I am fat.

e: I will NOT be using my Switch as a portable, I don't "do" outside.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
900 things you have to find to get the last heart PIECE. Also no item to use for finding them.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
200 of them are RNG drops.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
3 of them are quest rewards. Choose 1 of the 3. It takes 3 plays to complete the set.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This might be common knowledge, idk, but I was playing Twilight Princess HD today and in the snobby store you need to get your boots polished to enter, there is a picture of Breath of the Wild framed on the wall. :eyepop:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bleck posted:

Gamers: Ugh, so tired of big open world games where there's nothing to do!

Also Gamers: Ugh, so tired of games where I have to run around and do things!

Or maybe: "Ugh, I'm tired of games where there isn't anything meaningful to do." I doubt finding the Koroks ends up being more than, "Hey! You found me! Go find the rest." Where I'd rather have like 200 quests where I help NPCs with whatever plight they have.

Hedrigall posted:

I can't wait to get 900 things by exploring. I got 900 things by exploring in Banjo Kazooie too and it was great :3:

Banjo-Kazooie is a fraction of the size and you can find 100 notes in like 10 minutes, poo poo I can get 100% in the first game in under 3 hours.

Phimosissy posted:

This might be common knowledge, idk, but I was playing Twilight Princess HD today and in the snobby store you need to get your boots polished to enter, there is a picture of Breath of the Wild framed on the wall. :eyepop:

What was there in the original release?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was there in the original release?

I can't imagine how, but I don't know

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mulva posted:

And now we must fight with knives.

Knives and bucklers, Zelda 2 moves only

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MadHat posted:

They appear to just be "Find the Korok" So basically just a reward for exploring random locations that do not necessarily have a bigger reason to get to, like I think the ones we saw in the Plateau included getting to the top of the Temple of Time and Diving into a conspicuous circle in a lake.

Example Video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO-a5fwForU

this seems like pretty standard dumb open world collectible bullshit
not that its mere presence is a big deal or anything
at least they seem to be placed in actual landmarks?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ubisoft: we have three hundred feathers and flags to collect in Assassin's Creed: Dawn of the Dead Series

nintendo: you are like a little baby, watch this

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope the reward for that is gonna be good because I'm down for hunting 900 Koroks because I liked finding green stars in Mario Galaxy 2, and would like to have a reason to explore crannies of an open world. However I'm not down for being forced to read the same congratulations dialogue 900 times.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'd be down for the classic green tunic being a reward for the korok stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

I hope the reward for that is gonna be good because I'm down for hunting 900 Koroks because I liked finding green stars in Mario Galaxy 2, and would like to have a reason to explore crannies of an open world. However I'm not down for being forced to read the same congratulations dialogue 900 times.

I doubt it'll be 900 Koroks, more like each Korok having 20-50 "Seed Puzzles" each.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
900 Koroks only really becomes a problem if there isn't anything else going on. With 900 of the drat things there is no way they'll be important and there likely won't be a meaningful reward at the end. As long as there are good quests and such, finding koroks along the way might be fun. But there better be good content next to them, otherwise it's worthless filler that they stuck into the game to populate the huge world and give the illusion that the size of the place was worth it.

I want this game to be great but every news story about how "big" it is just makes me feel nervous

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The green tunic will totally be the reward for doing everything you need to do before taking on the final dungeon/calamity Ganon

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Or maybe: "Ugh, I'm tired of games where there isn't anything meaningful to do." I doubt finding the Koroks ends up being more than, "Hey! You found me! Go find the rest." Where I'd rather have like 200 quests where I help NPCs with whatever plight they have.

Koroks are NPCs. You are helping them be found!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Febreeze posted:

I want this game to be great but every news story about how "big" it is just makes me feel nervous

You're forgetting that this game's been in development since the WiiU released (if not longer), except it's under the supervision of people who actually know what they're doing. It's not like Ubisoft where halfway through someone upstairs might go "hmmm... add THIS! CHANGE THIS! NOW!" and scrawls over half the project brief in crayon.

Also once the basic programming works, a lot of open-world games are just just plug-and-play for pre-existing content (eg; Climbable_Tree_A here, Puzzle_Type_4 trigger there) so cramming in puzzles like that is more busywork than anything once the basic triggers and controls are defined.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Waltzing Along posted:

900 things you have to find to get the last heart PIECE. Also no item to use for finding them.

actually you only need 450 for the heart piece getting all 900 just gets you rupees.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's only five rupees but you can go back for more every five minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

It's only five rupees but you can go back for more every five minutes.

Korok Seeds are ammo for your Korok Slingshot. If you want more, you gotta solve more puzzles and not waste them because there's only 900 in the game and only one is given per puzzle :v:.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

spit on my clit posted:

ubisoft: we have three hundred feathers and flags to collect in Assassin's Creed: Dawn of the Dead Series

nintendo: you are like a little baby, watch this

When you put it that way, I hope this degenerates into the world's dumbest pissing contest.

ubisoft: 3000 emails in watchdogs 3

nintendo: 9500 baby metroid genes in metroid prime 4

ubisoft: 24000 historically inaccurate diary excerpts in assassin's creed n+1

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting that this game's been in development since the WiiU released (if not longer), except it's under the supervision of people who actually know what they're doing. It's not like Ubisoft where halfway through someone upstairs might go "hmmm... add THIS! CHANGE THIS! NOW!" and scrawls over half the project brief in crayon.

I mean with the number of times the game's been pushed back that's actually entirely possible

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mario Odyssey is a misnomer. The game is actually called Mario Odd-a Sea. You just play Mario in a sea of coins. Once you've collected all 36.7 million coins, you win the game.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also once the basic programming works, a lot of open-world games are just just plug-and-play for pre-existing content (eg; Climbable_Tree_A here, Puzzle_Type_4 trigger there) so cramming in puzzles like that is more busywork than anything once the basic triggers and controls are defined.

A long development time doesn't necessarily equal quality. I mean MM was made in a year and I'd wager MM is probably the most praised game in this thread. We don't know what problems the developers have faced, we don't know how much has changed as the game has gone on (what they've scrapped, how many versions the game has gone through), we don't really know that much to be honest. All we know is that it's YUUUUGE and the things being touted are things that tend to be problematic in other games. Also "cramming in puzzles is more busywork than anything" and "plug and play" isn't exactly inspiring to me, because it sounds exactly like what is making people nervous. Very little careful planning and more "plop here's a camp of dudes, plop here's a korok". It reminds me of WW's ocean which was full of the same poo poo all over the place in slightly different versions. Here's a platform to blow up! Here's TWO platforms! Here's a big octo! Here's another big octo! Here is a reef! Find the other 5 that play the exact same way!

Once you get past a certain size things feel copy/paste because technical limitations and all the time in the world can't fill that space. I loved the poo poo out of Just Cause 2 until about halfway through clearing the game I realized I was blowing up the same radar towers and fuel depos over and over again. I put it down, never picked it back up.

I'm still optimistic and I'll still probably love the game because I'm a sucker, but there is a reason people in here are expressing trepidation about a lot of this. We've been burned before.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What could be worse than sailing the ocean for Animus Fragments?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd be down for the classic green tunic being a reward for the korok stuff.

*throws Wii U, BOTW, and Switch out the window*

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Febreeze posted:

I mean MM was made in a year and I'd wager MM is probably the most praised game in this thread.

OoT is the best, way better than MM in my book. But I love for example GTA Vice City which was made in a year, much like MM it was able to use GTA3 as a base, MM is like a stand-alone expansion/alternate game thingy for OoT. It wouldn't be made from the ground up in one year.

A long dev time doesn't mean you'll necessarily have a great game, but it sure helps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree. MM is an example of a team making a great game and then immediately making another great game. A lot of things in MM are reused from OoT. All of the groundwork was done, all they had to do what create the world, and come up with a story. They could have started working on the story as soon as they were done writing the story of OoT. It looks like Ocarina of Time took about 3-4 years to make. That seems like a more similar timeline to Breath of the Wild.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hope there isn't a green tunic

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

But there is!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's just a blue (MAYBE teal) tunic under yellowish lighting.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Just occurred to me that my previous comment about 100% speed runs will include 900 loving koroks. Jesus Christ

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Space T Rex posted:

Just occurred to me that my previous comment about 100% speed runs will include 900 loving koroks. Jesus Christ

I want to see the routing for that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They'll just go on a reverse apple adventure and underflow the korok total to 1023 koroks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think there will be any 100% BoTW runs at AGDQ.

^^^ If you jump off the tower and land on a horse while a bomb goes off and kills you, it spawns you on the title screen where you already have 900 Koroks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there will be any 100% BoTW runs at AGDQ.

^^^ If you jump off the tower and land on a horse while a bomb goes off and kills you, it spawns you on the title screen where you already have 900 Koroks.

I hope that's not the only thing this game takes from Contra 3, I want Link shooting homing magic missiles and fairy lasers and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want to see speedrunners come up with cool tech that exploits the physics engine. I mean, you can use a boulder and a horizontal beam to catapult yourself up into the air!