Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

HidaO-Win posted:

I know I'm looking for 1 more crime lord, 1 Jabba and about 10 more rares just to bulk out some extra decks and the cost of that in singles is about the same as a box. I know I thought I'd be just at singles at this point but if prices stay the same and I saw a box I'd be tempted.

I have a Crime Lord spare if you're willing to trade

No PMs but if you're interested we can work something out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
My flgs has a box for sale but hasn't built a community yet. If I buy it for resale I'm an rear end in a top hat, right?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

guts and bolts posted:

I have a Crime Lord spare if you're willing to trade

No PMs but if you're interested we can work something out

Cool, what are you after?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

There enough to make a MTG Cube like draft experience yet? If so, how much would you estimate to have to invest?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Helion posted:

My flgs has a box for sale but hasn't built a community yet. If I buy it for resale I'm an rear end in a top hat, right?

I'm kind of curious how much store credit one of those boardgamebliss boxes turns into at cool stuff inc at their buy rates..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm kind of curious how much store credit one of those boardgamebliss boxes turns into at cool stuff inc at their buy rates..

Even counting the bonus you get for going store credit at CSI you're better off selling singles on ebay/facebook at the moment.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I just submitted a buylist to coolstuffinc that contained Jabba the Hutt, Kylo Rens Lightsaber, Holdout Blaster, Jango Fett and 8 other $1-$4.50 rares for $70. So, i'd guess enough to justify buying one.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

HidaO-Win posted:

Cool, what are you after?

I have...
  • AT-ST
  • Black One
  • Captain Phasma x2
  • Commanding Presence
  • Crime Lord
  • Launch Bay x2
  • Poe Dameron

I have a lot of assorted other stuff, too, but those are the purples. I have two Holocrons, too, I guess.

I want...
  • Han Solo
  • Holdout Blaster(s)
  • One With The Force
  • Jetpack(s)

Maybe some other ticky-tack stuff, mostly to try and work a janky eQui-Gon/eRey shield-based shenanigan, but that's chiefly what I'm after. Millennium Falcons because I'm a huge Han fanboy and I'd like to add them to my collection? But it isn't a pressing need.

Mostly I really want another Han Solo.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

guts and bolts posted:

I have...
  • AT-ST
  • Black One
  • Captain Phasma x2
  • Commanding Presence
  • Crime Lord
  • Launch Bay x2
  • Poe Dameron

I have a lot of assorted other stuff, too, but those are the purples. I have two Holocrons, too, I guess.

I want...
  • Han Solo
  • Holdout Blaster(s)
  • One With The Force
  • Jetpack(s)

Maybe some other ticky-tack stuff, mostly to try and work a janky eQui-Gon/eRey shield-based shenanigan, but that's chiefly what I'm after. Millennium Falcons because I'm a huge Han fanboy and I'd like to add them to my collection? But it isn't a pressing need.

Hmm I have none of those spare, but I will check about the local playgroup and see if I can find anybody with Han's to spare.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Just played a game with a jank-fest hero Jedi deck, Luke/ eRey. Busted out The Force is Strong for a turn one saber, then used it again turn 3 for force protection. Between that, Obi-Wan ghosting when Rey bit it and then him showing up again attached to Luke, maybe blue hero beatdown can be a thing?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Helion posted:

Just played a game with a jank-fest hero Jedi deck, Luke/ eRey. Busted out The Force is Strong for a turn one saber, then used it again turn 3 for force protection. Between that, Obi-Wan ghosting when Rey bit it and then him showing up again attached to Luke, maybe blue hero beatdown can be a thing?

Was about to tell you OWtF was unique and you couldn't have both out, but holy crap you can. That card is absurd. Been thinking about trying to track down one or more copies for my Qui-gon/Rey deck, since it usually runs with a decent number of excess resources. Now I'm even more convinced I need it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It is one of those cards that started out at a semi-low price and has steadily been climbing. Everything about it just screams value. All of its sides are usable, it sticks around as a support when the character it attaches to dies, as you said it is not unique and its cost is perfect, especially because blue decks almost always run It Binds All Things. Focus 3 is probably one of the most powerful die sides in this game, with only some specials being as powerful. I ran it in a eLuke deck for awhile and changing him and his lightsabers dies with it won me many games. 9 damage off 3 die is insane.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

ShowTime posted:

It is one of those cards that started out at a semi-low price and has steadily been climbing. Everything about it just screams value. All of its sides are usable, it sticks around as a support when the character it attaches to dies, as you said it is not unique and its cost is perfect, especially because blue decks almost always run It Binds All Things. Focus 3 is probably one of the most powerful die sides in this game, with only some specials being as powerful. I ran it in a eLuke deck for awhile and changing him and his lightsabers dies with it won me many games. 9 damage off 3 die is insane.

Yeah, there isn't a side on that die that I wouldn't be stoked about in most situations. I'm real tempted to either buy it outright or do some real aggressive trading for it. Pretty sure it's the only thing my Qui-gon Rey deck doesn't have that I really care about. Luke and his lightsaber would be cool, but the standard lightsaber is good enough and Luke is a different deck entirely.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

thocan posted:

Was about to tell you OWtF was unique and you couldn't have both out, but holy crap you can. That card is absurd. Been thinking about trying to track down one or more copies for my Qui-gon/Rey deck, since it usually runs with a decent number of excess resources. Now I'm even more convinced I need it.

Hilariously, that wasn't even an issue because his (summoned on) turn two at-st evaporated ghost obi-wan, only for him to come back next turn. Your technological terror is insignificant next to the power of the force, etc etc.

Helion fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 22, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I showed three people how to play today, and our X-Wing guy showed at least one other person. It's funny seeing people try to grasp the strategy. Two of them got right away that they needed to maximize the potential of their dice, but two of them got frustrated because they were doing inconsequential things like resolving 1 discard results until I explained that burning away an opponent's resource here and there wasn't really winning the game. Giving them Luke/Akbar was really nice, because I could tell them that their goal was to focus Luke into his 3 melee sides and go to town on my characters.

I need infinite Force Throws and I hate that it's starter-deck only. Such a good card!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Serotonin posted:

I was eye rolling at earlier sky is falling about lack of product but actually you guys might have been right. This is ridiculous. Impossible to find other than eBay scalpers (and there aren't many) in the U.K.

If I remember right from your D+D posting, you're in the NW of England right? I managed to pick up 10 boosters at World's Apart in Liverpool. Just Play in Liverpool hosts weekly and monthly tournaments for the game, but only has singles stock (and they're selling fast).

BJPaskoff posted:

I need infinite Force Throws and I hate that it's starter-deck only. Such a good card!

Having starter only cards would be easier to swallow if they didn't appear at all in booster packs, like Dicemasters starters.

Additionally, "requiring" people to buy 2x each starter to finish playsets must be contributing to the shortages.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So what are the chances we get this guy in this game? I liked that SWCCG, despite its deep mining of EU sources, chose to make him a generic miner.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

guts and bolts posted:

I have...
  • AT-ST
  • Black One
  • Captain Phasma x2
  • Commanding Presence
  • Crime Lord
  • Launch Bay x2
  • Poe Dameron

I want...
  • Han Solo
  • Holdout Blaster(s)
  • One With The Force
  • Jetpack(s)

I have a Holdout Blaster and Jetpack.

I need either AT-ST or Commanding Presence from your list. I don't think 1 purple for 2 greens is very fair trade for you right now but the only things I need at this point are legendaries. If you're interested at all I prefer the AT-ST as I have none of them.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

fnordcircle posted:

I have a Holdout Blaster and Jetpack.

I need either AT-ST or Commanding Presence from your list. I don't think 1 purple for 2 greens is very fair trade for you right now but the only things I need at this point are legendaries. If you're interested at all I prefer the AT-ST as I have none of them.

I will definitely swap the ATST for the blaster and jetpack, for sure.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 22, 2017

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder what types of limited formats they have considered for the game so far. It seems like it will need a special draft/sealed starter like their LCGs. Maybe a starter with a bunch of generic mooks for each faction, and generic cards that can be used for a reroll or some minimum effect. It would be cool both as another way to play but also to drive singles prices down (once packs are available).

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

guts and bolts posted:

I will definitely swap the ATST for the blaster and jetpack, for sure. nicholas.craig.vincent at gmail.com is my email for details.

Ok email coming your way internet friend. You can edit out your email stuff if you want.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder what types of limited formats they have considered for the game so far. It seems like it will need a special draft/sealed starter like their LCGs. Maybe a starter with a bunch of generic mooks for each faction, and generic cards that can be used for a reroll or some minimum effect. It would be cool both as another way to play but also to drive singles prices down (once packs are available).

There are drafting events at NOVA 2017 aka Destiny Nationals, so we shall see soon. I am excited for limited.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Confirmed: The dice are solidly built. I dropped one in the parking lot and it bounced a few times. I picked it up and I'd never know it was dropped onto solid pavement.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

There are drafting events at NOVA 2017 aka Destiny Nationals, so we shall see soon. I am excited for limited.

They pulled that event and said there would be another event instead. They said they'd announce details at a later date.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

ShowTime posted:

They pulled that event and said there would be another event instead. They said they'd announce details at a later date.

That is disappointing. Thanks for updating me on that.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I know the chance cube podcast interviewed Lukas, who said they aren't developing limited right now.

I also know the release events had you build a deck from a starter and 6 packs, and at least on Kansas City player is working on limited rules.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There are no truly terrible cards (maybe the event that lets you draw up to your hand size and the one that increases your hand size +1) which would make for an excellent draft environment if they ever hammered down the rules. It's really the deckbuilding restrictions that stop the game from having limited play. There's a lot of ways around that (letting players mix hero/villain, ignoring color identity, etc.) and they're probably just experimenting to pick the best one.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Elblanco posted:

I know the chance cube podcast interviewed Lukas, who said they aren't developing limited right now.

I also know the release events had you build a deck from a starter and 6 packs, and at least on Kansas City player is working on limited rules.

Yeah, and from what I heard they had a rule where you could pad your deck with illegal cards that could only be used to discard for rerolls.

I could see them lacking a strong incentive to spend person hours on limited at the moment given the likely near-to-mid term supply constraints. Hopefully they have a rough idea of what they want to do though so they don't back themselves in a corner with any design decisions. I guess they would probably just coincide limited with a set that has cards that have been playtested for limited, and given the mentioned 1 year lead time on cube manufacturing, that might mean it's a ways off (from FFG, at least).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Holy poo poo I tested (by proxy) my eHan/eRey/Starship Graveyard deck.

It is the tits, and worked really well to deal with Jango Fett, though that could've just been luck. It was nice to be able to throw his "I'm resolving and there's nothing you can do about it" poo poo back at him. (I have an irrational hatred for Jango Fett.)

Rey has a Holdout Blaster equipped; play DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol on her for 1, and immediately gain two actions (and send the Holdout Pistol to the discard pile). Infamous-ed Scavenge lets you go and find either the Holdout or if you happened to lose your other DL-44, which still leaves you with two actions. Then you play another DL-44 or the Holdout you just got rid of or whatever to now have 3 consecutive actions. Also, you've now given Han 3 shields.

It's such a handshake deck but it's so cheese when it works.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I tested my Qui Gon/Rey and... It's funny but need some work alright. I thought I would be clever and put two of each of those grey cards which cancel either ranged or close damages, but I bought a few cards which should help.
Speaking of which, can someone sell me on Force Project? It doesn't seems that great to me?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Iceclaw posted:

I tested my Qui Gon/Rey and... It's funny but need some work alright. I thought I would be clever and put two of each of those grey cards which cancel either ranged or close damages, but I bought a few cards which should help.
Speaking of which, can someone sell me on Force Project? It doesn't seems that great to me?

Force Throw? Or Force Protection? I think the former is really good and the latter is situational, depends on which you mean.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Force Throw, sorry. It seems to be pretty alright if you can repurpose à dice with a good number, but otherwise...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Its value isn't only in removing dice with good numbers showing, it's also in removing potentially powerful dice. Not only specials, but any dice that could potentially have a good side or a special effect you don't want to see. With how you can reroll in this game or set dice to specific sides, just getting rid of a die can be worthwhile enough. Some special effects can be devastating and if you can remove say a Thermal Detonator special or Poe Dameron special, it's probably still a good move to go ahead and Force Throw that die and stop your opponent from using it. It counts as a 0, but you also stop the effect from ever getting used.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Wait... I just caught on... You can remove your opponent's dice? :psyduck: This changes everything.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Iceclaw posted:

Wait... I just caught on... You can remove your opponent's dice? :psyduck: This changes everything.

This is why I need four more for other decks I want to build. The card is so good.

It's also the most commonly asked question people ask about a single card.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Trip report! Went to my first kit tournament last night at Zombie Planet in Albany. (Well, my second kit tournament, but I judged the first rather than playing, so my first as a player.) I had a eRey/Padme/Trooper deck, and a eJabba/Vader deck, and wasn't sure which I'd run. It seemed like the crowd was pretty up on the meta, and heard several people talking about Jango/Veers, so I went with the heroes because I felt like Second Chance was really important for a slower deck against Jango.

Unfortunately, round 1 I got paired against someone running a deck that planned to use Millennium Falcon with Emperor's Throne Room and Hyperspace Jump to end every turn on their second action and just time out the round if they were ahead on life. Shockingly my deck that doesn't want to do any damage wasn't ahead on life, so I scooped. I hadn't aggressively read all the online stuff about the meta because I wanted to do some brewing without being too biased, so I'd had no idea that was a combo, so it was a really frustrating way to open up the tournament. I personally think it's not something that should be doable and hope FFG does something to address it. Of course, it doesn't seem unbeatable or anything - my other deck at least wouldn't have been vulnerable to the pure combo kill, since Vader's discard ability means they can't just end the turn on the second activation and nothing changes. But it's a real turn-off and feels to me like the kind of combo that one doesn't want in their game.

Game 2 was a fun game against Vader and I think Raider? I don't really remember. I ended up winning after my opponent had some rough rolls, but I felt like I was in pretty good shape overall, and they didn't seem to have enough burst to get through my nonsense fast enough. As usual the Rebel Trooper died after being annoying, and everyone else soldiered on. My opponent discarded a ton of cards for rerolls, which was justifiable, but did accelerate my clock a lot.

Game 3 I played against Ackbar/Trooper/Trooper with just lots of cheap weapons to put on the Troopers. I felt like I was in pretty good shape - that kind of deck relies a lot on bonuses and I was doing a good job cutting out the bonus dice - but then my Trooper rolled a ranged result on a tanking activation into It's a Trap, which I'd forgotten had Ambush. That let him one-shot Padme out of nowhere. I limped on for a while but with Second Chance (and the option to re-use it with Falcon/Scavenge) the deck doesn't hold up super well if she dies unexpectedly. I'm not sure I could have won it if I'd played around IAT better, but it was certainly a mistake not to.

All my opponents were really nice, even the round 1 dude. I certainly don't blame anyone for playing a legal deck in a tournament. But facing it r1 did kind of color my night, so I only played those three rounds because I was frustrated and it was a long drive home. If it had been 4 rounds of Swiss I might have tried to grind it out and finish top 16 (out of 22 or so) to get the TIE promo, but I decided I didn't care enough.

Zombie Planet also seemed like a nice shop (first time there) and their TO seemed good overall. The event started about half an hour late which is a pet peeve of mine, but they had it running after an x-wing event and it was nearly twice as big as they expected, so the delay was due to lack of space rather than ineptitude, and they apologized for it, so I'm willing to believe it was the kind of isolated issue that comes up from time to time. Still mulling over whether I want to drive the hour and change out there for a casual play night, but I might, and neither the community nor the staff I met are a reason not to.

Retrospective:

Obviously having picked the deck that I thought was best against Jango and then not having to play Jango was rough. I'm also missing some of the cards I might want for the Vader/Jabba deck: I certainly want a second Force Choke, and I don't own any Crime Lords, so I haven't even thought about whether to run them.

Here's the deck I did run for reference:

eRey
Padme
Rebel Trooper
Echo Base

2 Jedi Robes
2 Logistics
2 Defensive Stance
2 Electroshock
2 Draw Attention
2 Datapad
2 Field Medic
2 Hunker Down
2 Unpredictable
2 Cunning
2 Second Chance
1 Diplomatic Immunity
1 Force Protection
1 Force Training
1 BB-8
1 Millennium Falcon
1 Launch Bay
1 Daring Escape
1 Scavenge

Some of the 1's are experimental cards (like Escape), and some are just things you really want in the late game, like Scavenge, which I tend to not want to play until my deck is empty but can be a valuable endgame tool with the Falcon special. I don't think it's an ideal list by any means, but I also didn't really learn as much as I'd hoped to about it - G1 I couldn't win on a strategic level, and G3 I got gotten by It's a Trap. In both cases more dice removal would be useful, but unfortunately the hero side just doesn't seem as good at it as the villain side is. I had Negotiate for a while and it didn't impress me, as you have to remove specific dice on your side and it often hits blanks or questionably useful dice on the opponent's, but it might be worth another look. It's better against decks with fewer, better dice, which seem to be in some supply, so it's maybe better than it seemed playing with weaker decks early on. Mind Trick is also worth considering, as are the humble Dodge and Block. Force Throw might also be good enough that it's worth including despite the damage not being wildly useful, though taking out a character with chip damage can certainly be nice.

I was hoping Daring Escape would be good because I like it having Ambush, but it just felt really risky - the natural use is to reroll almost all their dice to try to winnow down the pool, but in play it's felt like it's only good against amazing or terrible rolls, which is more niche than I like. Rerolling the opponent's middling results feels scary since there's a significant chance you help them out.

That said, I suspect it just won't be a tournament viable deck if any significant number of people are running the Hyperspace thing, which, until or unless FFG fixes one of the cards or their tournament rules, it seems like a fair number of people should. It's not really a combo deck per se because of the cards in it only Hyperspace Jump isn't a good card on its own. So you can have a completely competent Poe-based deck that just gets to end the game if it's ahead. The tiebreaker rules in general don't favor a deck like this because it's so heavily in the opponent's interest to stall out the game, and even on the Regional level my experience is that FFG events often don't have judges seasoned enough to pick up on that sort of thing. Not that I think many people would do it at a kit tournament, but it's common enough at bigger Magic events that I expect someone might at a Regional or Store Champ or whatever.

The other big issue is that Padme frankly sucks. Comparing her to Jabba just makes it really obvious - she's balanced as if her special is some powerful ability, but it's in fact worse than discard 1 and significantly worse than Jabba's discard 2, and none of the other sides are any good either. I ran her because it was the way I could figure out to get all three colors in and spend the points, but I think if a grindy control deck like this is going to work, it might be wiser to base it on Finn and unlock AT-ST to potentially get problematic supports off the table on the opponent's side. Rey/Finn/Trooper is 30, and since you don't want damage, not having many base character dice is tolerable, though it sucks for the initiative bid. I'll probably put that version together at some point, but I lack AT-STs, so that's kind of a problem, and I'm still not sure it'd have any chance against someone running the Hyperspace Jump combo.

I'm certainly going to keep brewing on the Vader/Jabba deck. One thing that's very cool about it is that it can run either an exhaustion or a damage kill, which seems like the kind of flexibility I like a lot. I don't have a list for it I like yet, but will post it when I do if there's interest.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My local facebook group just had an argument about whether when a card instructs you to reroll an opponent's die, whether you're allowed to physically touch it.

Turns out some people are big dumb babies about DONT TOUCH MY ANIMES, STEVEN YOU'RE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD and get all pissy about it.
I wish I knew who those people were, and could play a Grievous aggro deck against them :haw:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

My local facebook group just had an argument about whether when a card instructs you to reroll an opponent's die, whether you're allowed to physically touch it.

Turns out some people are big dumb babies about DONT TOUCH MY ANIMES, STEVEN YOU'RE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD and get all pissy about it.
I wish I knew who those people were, and could play a Grievous aggro deck against them :haw:

Most Destiny players who didn't come from Magic are facing a rude awakening when it comes to competitive gaming etiquette. Every other day on one of the Destiny Facebook groups there's someone having a meltdown over "netdecking" or the like.

That being said, I'd rather someone reroll their own die. It feels a lot meaner (in the spirit of the game, not in real-life terms) to force them to reroll a good result into something potentially worse. It's also a game store setting, usually, and I'd rather make the least possible amount of contact with another person and things they touched.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

canyoneer posted:

I mean, it's a silly thing to fight about, but it does seem more polite to me to ask them to reroll their own die, or at least ask which they'd prefer. Most people ask before picking up an opponent's card to read it or w/e as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BJPaskoff posted:

It feels a lot meaner (in the spirit of the game, not in real-life terms) to force them to reroll a good result into something potentially worse. It's also a game store setting, usually, and I'd rather make the least possible amount of contact with another person and things they touched.

Both of these are absolutely true.