Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurreco posted:

Mark Davis is a legitimate ignoramus. I've got nothing against Hunt, though.

Mark Davis, like his father, is both cool and good, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Watching the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl (the least of the Senior Bowl type things I believe) and it's at Stubhub. The announcers just made fun of the Chargers playing there in the future.

"Yeah I came out on the field earlier this week to watch practice and I was like Okay, we're going to do this? I guess?"

"They say it's supposed to expand to 30000+ for the Chargers, where those seats are going to go I have no idea. Somewhere over in the corner maybe?"

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 22, 2017

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Zurreco posted:

How short is the list of NFL owners that are not morons or huge pieces of poo poo? Arthur Blank and Paul Allen?

A lot of them probably aren't complete morons.

My point was more that Spanos has been one of sport's worst owners for years, but no one ever really talked about it previously.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Alex Spanos was a piece of poo poo, it's just a lot of the awful stuff he did to Coryell, Fouts and co is somewhat forgotten because most of that stuff went down before the internet. There's not a solid member of that family.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

whiteyfats posted:

For the ten+ years prior to his death Davis was reviled as incompetent and damaging to his franchise.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ammanas posted:

For the ten+ years prior to his death Davis was reviled as incompetent and damaging to his franchise.

He had dementia; it happens. What Al did in his career before that more than makes up for it.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

whiteyfats posted:

Mark Davis is a fairly level headed owner and hasn't hosed anyone over, so I don't have anything against him on those fronts. Seems like all he wants to do is win and eat wings, which is cool in my book.

That being said, please look at his haircut and his taste in Chinese Bistros and tell me that he isn't an idiot.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Mark Davis is definitely a failson but he's at least not a malignant one which is far better than we can typically hope for in TYOOL 2017 USA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm sure a bunch of NFL owners are actually decent people, but on average the world would probably better off if they all woke up tomorrow with a Colombian necktie.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
ROSS ANGELES BABY!!!!!!!! WE'RE DRINKING ZIMA AND PUKING ON FAT COCKS ALL NIGHT LONG IN HERE!!!!!!!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

Clark Hunt seems fine I guess? Mark Davis is a weird guy and a fashion moron for sure, but seems more or less ok unless you're just really angry at him for moving the team.

Zurreco posted:

Mark Davis is a legitimate ignoramus. I've got nothing against Hunt, though.

Kind of funny. One of these owners forbids the team to employ domestic abuse players and the other doesn't care.

Ammanas posted:

I think that's far outweighed by the fact that Al Davis wouldn't put the team in hotels that didn't allow blacks to stay there(non-players, obviously) in the 60s. Also, as commisioner of the AFL, brought the NFL to it's knees and forced a merger. Also, hired the first black head coach, 2nd hispanic coach(e: although Fears was undercover latino) and hired the first and still only female CEO. He also later sued the NFL and won and when the NFL sued him, he won and they had to pay him again.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Kind of funny. One of these owners forbids the team to employ domestic abuse players and the other doesn't care.

Sure, let me roll my eyes after complimenting your bowl-cut PF Chang owner.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Roasted Donut posted:

ROSS ANGELES BABY!!!!!!!! WE'RE DRINKING ZIMA AND PUKING ON FAT COCKS ALL NIGHT LONG IN HERE!!!!!!!

they dont sell zima in the US anymore

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mark Davis invented the qb hand warmer and thus has done more for the NFL than almost all other owners.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

Sure, let me roll my eyes after complimenting your bowl-cut PF Chang owner.

Makes you want to choke a pregnant woman, doesn't it?

Good luck with Mixon!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

Good luck with Mixon!

If we're being honest I think the odds of the Chiefs selecting Mixon are about 0 since they took their shot on an idiot and won (perhaps more importantly since they can get by at the position), also I think the odds of the Raiders being interested in Hill if he were cut tomorrow are 100 given proven on the field goodness and Davis's hands off approach to football people making football decisions.

Also I'd like to note that I am not Parm.

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
Ok. I can't get passed the Chargers not talking to the Rams before announcing this move. What happens if they can't come to an agreement? Like Kroenke sticks it to them so bad they can't say yes to it. What then?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Slothass posted:

Ok. I can't get passed the Chargers not talking to the Rams before announcing this move. What happens if they can't come to an agreement? Like Kroenke sticks it to them so bad they can't say yes to it. What then?

gently caress Dean Spanos.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

warcrimes posted:

Good luck with Mixon!

As a Christian in a Christian country, I am very happy that forgiveness and atonement are dead concepts. Kill them all, god will know his own.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

If we're being honest I think the odds of the Chiefs selecting Mixon are about 0 since they took their shot on an idiot and won (perhaps more importantly since they can get by at the position), also I think the odds of the Raiders being interested in Hill if he were cut tomorrow are 100 given proven on the field goodness and Davis's hands off approach to football people making football decisions.

Also I'd like to note that I am not Parm.

I mean, Davis has come out and publicly stated the policy(to shoot down rumors the Raiders were interested in Greg Hardy when that all went down), and Big Reg echoed it. This isn't a secret.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

warcrimes posted:

I mean, Davis has come out and publicly stated the policy(to shoot down rumors the Raiders were interested in Greg Hardy when that all went down), and Big Reg echoed it. This isn't a secret.

Is your intention here to wipe out the old school Raiders because of new ownership? I kind of don't care, although I hate Bill Romanowski as much as anyone. We can add any amount of other examples you'd like.

Let's just say it's going to take a little more than Mark Davis saying something without doing anything other not than signing a team cancer/legitimately crazy dude to get rid of the old school stigma, along with me not really giving too much of a poo poo and...let's just say I'm dubious about how much you care.

e: Not, not was an important thing in that bad sentence.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 22, 2017

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Is your intention here to wipe out the old school Raiders because of new ownership? I kind of don't care, although I hate Bill Romanowski as much as anyone. We can add any amount of other examples you'd like.

Let's just say it's going to take a little more than Mark Davis saying something without doing anything other not than signing a team cancer/legitimately crazy dude to get rid of the old school stigma, along with me not really giving too much of a poo poo and...let's just say I'm dubious about how much you care.

e: Not, not was an important thing in that bad sentence.

It's pretty personal

http://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-owner-has-zero-tolerance-for-domestic-6636707.php

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12735951/oakland-raiders-owner-mark-davis-donates-50k-help-prevent-domestic-violence

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're alright, Mark.

:unsmith:

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Chinatown posted:

gently caress Dean Spanos.

gently caress that entire family of scrooge mcducks.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'll be in Vegas for the Super Bowl. Hope to run into Mark Davis at a PF Chang's while I'm there.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Slothass posted:

I'm thinking the NFL will step in on Spanos' behalf once the negotiations start going south, but Spanos is at the mercy of the Rams.

The issue here is that Spanos cashed in all of his good will with the other owners in the last 6 months. When Kroenke's rental agreement has the Rams dipping into all sorts of Chargers revenue, Goodell will tell Spanos to take the deal or kick rocks because he put himself in that corner.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Pretty sure the terms of the chargers' tenancy were already settled before the move.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/29/san-diego-chargers-rams-los-angeles-stadium-agreement-update

OBR
Apr 9, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Pretty sure the terms of the chargers' tenancy were already settled before the move.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-live-nfl-meetings-chargers-what-could-a-chargers-lease-at-the-1481731431-htmlstory.html

LA Times posted:

The lease agreement that NFL owners are expected to approve Wednesday is likely to include the Chargers paying $1 a year to be a tenant at Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s $2.6-billion stadium in Inglewood.

The deal, of course, would be contingent on the Chargers' decision by Jan. 15 to exercise their option to move from San Diego to Los Angeles.

The agreement hasn’t changed substantially since NFL owners approved the Rams’ relocation in January.

The Rams and Chargers would combine revenue from non-football events at the stadium, naming rights, personal seat licenses and similar rarely sold items. Each team would receive about 18.75% of the total; the rest would go toward financing the stadium construction.

Each team would retain its game-day revenue. That includes items like tickets, parking, game-day sponsorships and concessions.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
That's weirdly generous toward the chargers, idgi

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ammanas posted:

That's weirdly generous toward the chargers, idgi

Kronke had to play nice since most of the owners liked Spanos more than they liked him. The reason he won is they liked money even more and Kronke looked like he'd make the league more money. So he won, but had to be nice to Spanos as part of the deal.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Al Davis was cool in the 60's/70's but turned into a horrible assclown and tyrant after 1981.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chinatown posted:

they dont sell zima in the US anymore

Well, why do you think he is puking

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The other 64% of everything still goes to Kroenke, so its really a 82/18 split

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Ripple effects from the Chargers

https://twitter.com/2NewSports/status/824335727664128000

Holiday Bowl apparently in talks to play the game at PETCO Park

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
hopefully this will speed up the implosion of qualcomm

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chinatown posted:

hopefully this will speed up the implosion of qualcomm

SDSU is locked into Qualcomm through 2018

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
how many fans does sdsu draw?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

JPrime posted:

how many fans does sdsu draw?

Average attendance last year was around 37,000

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So more than the chargers will be able to draw in LA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Dammit, actual facts are causing me to wonder if I should stop reflexively hating Mark Davis and the Raiders. gently caress.

• Locked thread