Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

Another thing that really changed my life was the realization that after a city has reached its maximum size, you can, and should, demolish the farms and/or other population growth tiles, and replace them with something else, like walls, since you don't need that growth anymore.

Warning, this does not apply to Dwarven Breweries. Anyone who demolishes those get's put in the book.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not sure what others do, but when I play Dwarves I try to set them up in a 'pillbox' with warriors/lomgbeards/iron breakers in front and missile units/artillery behind. If there's any natural terrain I can use to help I'll position my guys accordingly. I tend to put miners/hammerers/slayers in the rear to keep them out of missile range.

Units that fire in a ballistic arc get the steepest angle when firing at maximum range, so firing at max range makes it easier to shoot over the heads of friendly melee infantry. So not just quarrelers, but also Irondrakes benefit.

Thunderers only need a bit of elevation to get a clear shot, but conversely can't easily hit targets on walls or from walls unless they are at maximum range.

There is nothing more satisfying than unloading a massive engineer buffed fusilade and wiping out an enemy army before they can get into melee.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Bought this game yesterday to play co-op with a friend and we're having trouble loading earlier saves in the campaign, with the Load button being grayed out all the time. Anyone know why and how to fix it?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do flagellants ever get worth using in singleplayer even after the arch-lector buffs?
They feel like lovely skeletons with the added downside that I actually had to spend a turn recruiting them.
By the time I have the red line buffs for them I would rather have some halberds or swordsmen with the honest steel buff you can get in the very early game.

I guess they have a place as a cheap unit, but I hardly ever find myself with any money problems after early game

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Cinroth posted:

Bought this game yesterday to play co-op with a friend and we're having trouble loading earlier saves in the campaign, with the Load button being grayed out all the time. Anyone know why and how to fix it?

Have you guys been adding/removing mods or anything?

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Captain Beans posted:

Have you guys been adding/removing mods or anything?

He instructed me to install a bunch of mods which I did before starting the game up for the first time. I guess it's possible he has different/more mods than me and that could be screwing it up somehow?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah your mods have to match exactly

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
As someone who plays co-op campaigns and uses mods - its very easy to get your mods out of sync because you can easily be browsing mods and 'ooh this looks cool' and subscribe which also instantly activates it. I would also never add/remove mods during the course of a co-op campaign.

To test if your mod list is the exact same you can double check going through each mod you have checked in the launcher and/or create a custom multiplayer battle online and see if you both can join. If all that is working then your co-op campaign should work fine. However if you are having problems loading an old co-op save it might be because you changed the mods that were active when that save was generated vs the mods you have active now.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fauxtool posted:

do flagellants ever get worth using in singleplayer even after the arch-lector buffs?
They feel like lovely skeletons with the added downside that I actually had to spend a turn recruiting them.
By the time I have the red line buffs for them I would rather have some halberds or swordsmen with the honest steel buff you can get in the very early game.

I guess they have a place as a cheap unit, but I hardly ever find myself with any money problems after early game

They are fearless, which lets them bog down units for a long time and are naturally going to hold out well vs feae/terror causing units. I like them.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
Alright, I'll try looking over the mods. Thanks for the help!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

Flagellants are good if you use them right. They basically fill two roles, being utterly fearless expendables that will hold elite units in place for a shockingly long time as the fight to the last man, or as cheap shock infantry who carve a bloody swathe through lovely units like skeletons/zombies/goblins ect.

An army of Flagellants is loving awful even with all the buffs, but 2-4 Flagellants pull their weight against almost any army.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I haven't used them but they seem like they'd be good just anchoring the centre of your line in front of missile units so you can fold in from a heavily stacked flank

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Which Empire hero can stop enemy chaos armies running circles around me? I don't see an option to stop them moving.

What empire units can do anything against Chaos Missile cav? They either ran away or shoot me to pieces.

Is it worth trying to take Sylvania or should I just raze it?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Another battle tip I haven't seen, is to not commit all your front line troops right away, keep one or two in reserve. Makes IT easier to respond to flanking or breakthroughs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Comstar posted:

Which Empire hero can stop enemy chaos armies running circles around me? I don't see an option to stop them moving.

What empire units can do anything against Chaos Missile cav? They either ran away or shoot me to pieces.

Is it worth trying to take Sylvania or should I just raze it?

1. Witch hunters, from the higher tier versions of the sigmar temple building.

2. Ranged infantry hard counters ranged cavalry. Alternatively, the light wizard works with his net spell.

3. Sack then occupy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Flagellants are annoying to fight as the vampires, I'll be trying to spook the army into a mass route but the flagellants will be anchoring the army and all the routing troops will rejoin the battle, I got to bring dire wolf packs or fell bats to stay on the routers against them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What exactly determines the direction your army retreats? I find it really annoying when I retreat, and instead of moving into/adjacent to a settlement under my control, the army moves AWAY, in the opposite direction where the friendly garrison can't support them from.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Flagellants are annoying to fight as the vampires, I'll be trying to spook the army into a mass route but the flagellants will be anchoring the army and all the routing troops will rejoin the battle, I got to bring dire wolf packs or fell bats to stay on the routers against them.

Just bury them under raised zombies/fate of bjuna them.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

One Legged Cat posted:

Another thing that really changed my life was the realization that after a city has reached its maximum size, you can, and should, demolish the farms and/or other population growth tiles, and replace them with something else, like walls, since you don't need that growth anymore.

You should be building walls in the first or second building slot you get or anything else you build will constantly get burnt down.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

V for Vegas posted:

You should be building walls in the first or second building slot you get or anything else you build will constantly get burnt down.

This is not true. Building walls is a simple and easy way to deal with incursions, but you can handle most assaults with a medium -size reserve army and good use of ambush stance (or better, a hero with the block army action). You can play a lot faster and more aggressively this way, too, letting you get way ahead of the territory and power curve compared to other nations. Yes, you will lose the occasional town, but you'll make up for it in the speed of your advancement. I only really go heavy into walls once I'm swimming in cash with a huge territory to cover.

You only have to do it as the Wood Elves, but it's an option for any side on any difficulty, even legendary.

That said there's nothing wrong with building walls. I just see 'you have to build walls' as gospel this thread a lot and it's simply not true.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Holy gently caress wind of death owns. Dwarf stack lined up against my zombies, I pulled Vlad to the side and overcast WoD and annihilates the entire dwarf line. 505 kills in one cast Lmao

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Eela6 posted:

That said there's nothing wrong with building walls. I just see 'you have to build walls' as gospel this thread a lot and it's simply not true.

It's pretty true, though, if you're investing in your regions heavily. It's especially true as Empire where you've got plenty of enemies more than capable of ambushing a settlement no matter what reserve armies you want to keep anywhere. Playing aggressively is fine--you're not investing too much into anything beyond "the cost to build turns to profit in a few turns, don't care if it's destroyed too far beyond that"--but then you're also not coming into this thread complaining about losing a settlement's development either. The "you have to build walls" is given as advice specifically to people who seem to want to slow-play and build up rather than blitz.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

Holy gently caress wind of death owns. Dwarf stack lined up against my zombies, I pulled Vlad to the side and overcast WoD and annihilates the entire dwarf line. 505 kills in one cast Lmao

I think Winds of Death is something you should always bring as VC. Don't try to force using it just because you have it, because it does cost a lot of winds of magic.

To convert any non believers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoZ3znDDfw&t=90s

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Last legendary campaign I built walls in every minor and major settlement, I figured I'd leave one backwater town in bretonnia unwalled and a skaeling stack sailed past everything to raze it.

Once everything was walled the norscans would attack my neighbors because they were easier pickings without having to siege.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I wish the AI was a little dumber in that regard, and tried to force battles or sieges it "knows" it can't win. It's a little too omniscient for it's own good, so even after declaring war on you it will just constantly run away from your armies because it won't engage unless the odds are in its favour.

I've played through multiple campaigns and had to initiate tons of siege battles. I can only think of perhaps two or three times where the tables were turned and I had to defend on the walls.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Grumio posted:

I wish the AI was a little dumber in that regard, and tried to force battles or sieges it "knows" it can't win. It's a little too omniscient for it's own good, so even after declaring war on you it will just constantly run away from your armies because it won't engage unless the odds are in its favour.

I've played through multiple campaigns and had to initiate tons of siege battles. I can only think of perhaps two or three times where the tables were turned and I had to defend on the walls.

The AI constantly will sit inside its wall starving to death when the balance bar shows them at like a 90% win. It's seriously deficient

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thank a thousand fucks that there is a home territory movement bonus mod because lmao spending 10 turns doing bullshit stack chases

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Grumio posted:

There are a couple of mods that tweak the AI to make it more agressive. Its more likely to attack walled settlements and doesn't faff around for 15 rounds trying to starve your guys to death. I combined it with a mod that tweaked garrisons (all garrisons are lead by a general with normal LD bubble not a squad of guys) and buying your garrison building gives you a melee hero for your faction as well). Certain production buildings will give you an extra garrison unit, like if the settlement has tier 1 barracks you get an additional tier 1 melee infantry unit in that garrison, build a siege factory and you get a tier 1 artillery, etc.

They both combine for a fun experience. Chaos, for example, slams into my Dorf Fortresses much more agressively, but I also have a lot more units to repel them. The result is more siege battles closer to 50/50 or 60/40 odds instead of one-sided affairs.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Links to your AI mods plz, either mine are broken or you have better ones

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ammanas posted:

Links to your AI mods plz, either mine are broken or you have better ones

Lokerian's AI mod. It also makes the Chaos invasion more significant. A funny consequence to the addition to Wood Elves with this mod is they will go hog wild colonizing every ruin they can get their claws on.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Lokerian's AI mod. It also makes the Chaos invasion more significant. A funny consequence to the addition to Wood Elves with this mod is they will go hog wild colonizing every ruin they can get their claws on.

They kinda do that in Vanilla already, or they have in a couple playthroughs I've done since they were added.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah I tried lokerians, it makes the ai rebel stacks attack the settlement from their first turn. Kinda annoying

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Transmetropolitan posted:

Thank a thousand fucks that there is a home territory movement bonus mod because lmao spending 10 turns doing bullshit stack chases

Get good

at ambush stance.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Any word yet on when in february brets will launch?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I've also been reading the Fire emblem thread, and am now imagining a TWW army versus a Fire Emblem group. It's weird.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Any word yet on when in february brets will launch?
Nope. I'm guessing it'll be the same date as the Old World Edition's release, but they haven't announced an exact date for that either. It's just "February" for now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They usually start the tease cycle about two weeks before release, but given this is the biggest free-DLC and will be acompanied by a new physical release I expect them to start earlier. So either mid-February if I am wrong (and they do the two-weeks thingie) or late in the month if I'm right.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

sassassin posted:

Get good

at ambush stance.

Any tips on how to effectively ambush? The only time it really worked for me was after beastmen AI brainfart and they retreated straight to me after setting to ambush :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

Any tips on how to effectively ambush? The only time it really worked for me was after beastmen AI brainfart and they retreated straight to me after setting to ambush :v:
Step 1: Try to predict which way the AI will go and position yourself in that path. Having a single city without walls can be good for this because the AI sees them as easy targets and loves to make a beeline for those.
Step 2: Enter ambush mode.
Step 3: Hope the RNG works in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The UI tells you the ambush chance based on terrain too

• Locked thread