Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Star Wars has always been pretty nebulous on the scale of the empire, at least in the main movies and shows. It's a weird contradictory galaxy that's got huge megaprojects and ridiculous city spanning cities but also one where a single battle is hugely significant, and the biggest battles seen (Coruscant) are only a few hundred cap ships, a few million troops is enough to defend the entire republic and that a random backwards planet pulled out of a hat is instantly recognised by everyone. It's about the size of earth, just spread out more.

That's OK though. It puts it on a relatable scale. If it bothers you that this enormous force can actually be injured by a handful, just headcanon that like, most of the galaxy is inaccessible to the hyperlanes or something, and it's smaller than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it was one of the reasons I always loved the intro to TIE Fighter. The gathering of the fleets shows just how loving many Star Destroyers there are, although still only 1 SSD but I imagine those things are like Death Stars, you make 1 each time.

That and even when they show the flotilla that Legends Thrawn was in charge of the sheer number of T/Fs, T/Bs, T/Is, and even gunboats is enough to make any Rebel cell poo poo itself

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Actually according to the new canon, IIRC, there were about 12-15 SSD produced, with one of the last ones left going down over Jakku.

Like Tagge says in the Vader comic though, imagine how many SSDs could've been built with the resources put into the Death Star?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually according to the new canon, IIRC, there were about 12-15 SSD produced, with one of the last ones left going down over Jakku.

Like Tagge says in the Vader comic though, imagine how many SSDs could've been built with the resources put into the Death Star?

If the Death Star was ever what it was supposed to be though, however many SSDs would have been pointless. It's a weapon that can destroy entire planets before you can mount any kind of defense against it, and will kill a capital ship of any size or strength. It really was the fictional equivalent of a nuke, collateral damage and all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not to mention 3 million plus personnel on all those SSD's.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Rocksicles posted:

Not to mention 3 million plus personnel on all those SSD's.

If the WEG Death Star Guide is anything to go by the Death Star had an absurd amount of personnel on it too however. (Also the SSD looks cool as hell and is up there with the Enterprise 1701 Refit as best looking cap ship.)

Vvv. Cept the DS 1 killed how many people and life forms? Billions and way more than billions? Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 22, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The internet tells me that Death Star I had between 1,186,295–1,206,293 total personnel (mission dependent), 342,953 of which were Imperial Navy and Army, and 25,984 of which were Stormtroopers. The rest were....????

And that Death Star II had 637,835 total personnel, but doesn't specify how that was broken down.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So that means Luke murdered over a million people, and Lando and Nien Nunb murdered over 600,000.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I have to admit I teared up a little during Sabine's rant/swordfight at the end.
On the one hand my brain goes "wow, that's a really clumsy exposition dump that probably should have been parcelled out more carefully over the last few seasons", on the other hand something about the combination of the music, the shot compositions and Tiya Sircar's voicework just got me emotional. Or maybe I'm just happy that the worst character in the crew finally becomes interesting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Talk about putting all your eggs in heavily armed baskets.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dave Syndrome posted:

I have to admit I teared up a little during Sabine's rant/swordfight at the end.
On the one hand my brain goes "wow, that's a really clumsy exposition dump that probably should have been parcelled out more carefully over the last few seasons", on the other hand something about the combination of the music, the shot compositions and Tiya Sircar's voicework just got me emotional. Or maybe I'm just happy that the worst character in the crew finally becomes interesting.

They couldn't have done that exposition earlier because the last couple seasons were All Ezra,All the Time. For some reason.
And also, the worst character is actually Ezra. For the reason I gave above.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

However, I think we can all agree that Chopper is the best character

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chopper's purring !

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VolticSurge posted:

They couldn't have done that exposition earlier because the last couple seasons were All Ezra,All the Time. For some reason.
And also, the worst character is actually Ezra. For the reason I gave above.

Rebels would be better if season 1 and 2 were not all about Ezra and more time was given to the entire ghost crew, like season 3.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, the delivery/music were both amazing, even if the exposition was a little heavy-handed.

Wanna listen to that music.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Bits of it sounded like Conan the Barbarian to me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Chickenwalker posted:

If the Death Star was ever what it was supposed to be though, however many SSDs would have been pointless. It's a weapon that can destroy entire planets before you can mount any kind of defense against it, and will kill a capital ship of any size or strength. It really was the fictional equivalent of a nuke, collateral damage and all.

Yeah the Death Star is mythic, god-like power, it's the angry eye of the eternal Emperor. Militarily a SSD over every populated planet would probably be more effective but that's not what Palpatine wanted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bits of it sounded like Conan the Barbarian to me.

"No-one in this galaxy can you trust, little Mandalorian. Not men, not women, not droids. But this... this you can trust"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gonz posted:

The internet tells me that Death Star I had between 1,186,295–1,206,293 total personnel (mission dependent), 342,953 of which were Imperial Navy and Army, and 25,984 of which were Stormtroopers. The rest were....????

And that Death Star II had 637,835 total personnel, but doesn't specify how that was broken down.
For a place that size. Faculty probably. They would needs tons of technicians and engineers. Medical Crew, people to serve food. An old canon book was about a bunch of people who were living on the Death Star. One of them was a cantina owner and her staff. Who ran one on the station.

Gonz posted:

So that means Luke murdered over a million people, and Lando and Nien Nunb murdered over 600,000.

Well Lando and Nien Nunb murdered way less then that. Unlike Death Star I, there was a good deal of warning that the second was going to blow up and they started evacuating once the shield went down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Lando and Nien Nunb murdered way less then that. Unlike Death Star I, there was a good deal of warning that the second was going to blow up and they started evacuating once the shield went down.

Going by a couple pages in the Shattered Empire Comic, the Rebels might've decided on the ice cold decision to shoot down any evacuating ships from the Death Star to make sure the Emperor didn't escape.

(that is Poe Dameron's mom, btw)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Are season 1 and 2 available for streaming anywhere?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who gives a poo poo and what are you basing this off of?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Who gives a poo poo and what are you basing this off of?

He says "the new canon" in his post. And ALL OF STAR WARS can be summerized by "who gives a poo poo?"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

enraged_camel posted:

Are season 1 and 2 available for streaming anywhere?

A few European netflix regions but not really anywhere else online other than disneyxd which requires a cable sub anyway.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MrJacobs posted:

He says "the new canon" in his post. And ALL OF STAR WARS can be summerized by "who gives a poo poo?"

I mean, I agree with the latter but people seem to care a lot about this poo poo and seem to think I should care beyond fun Star Wars.

According to New Canon Luke Skywalker has a 20 centimeter penis!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you don't care then why are you even asking me "What are you basing this off of?" lol

Some of us like talking this poo poo :shrug:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you don't care then why are you even asking me "What are you basing this off of?" lol

Some of us like talking this poo poo :shrug:

What are you basing it off of? Because to me, your statement and my statement read the same.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Oh my god,gently caress off. You've pulled this poo poo before. It's getting old.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, if you want a Sacred OT On-Screen Only source, Han says "There are a lot of command ships" in reference to the Executor. Other than that, I can't be arsed to cite all my references.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Great drat episode, easily the best in S3 and probably top 5 in the series, Tiya Sircar can just kill it if they give her the opportunity to. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, if you want a Sacred OT On-Screen Only source, Han says "There are a lot of command ships" in reference to the Executor. Other than that, I can't be arsed to cite all my references.

I'm sorry for asking "Where is this from" since clearly that is triggering for you.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Great drat episode, easily the best in S3 and probably top 5 in the series, Tiya Sircar can just kill it if they give her the opportunity to. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

What would the other 4 in your list be? Just curious.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

VolticSurge posted:

Oh my god,gently caress off. You've pulled this poo poo before. It's getting old.

I'm sorry you somehow thing this poo poo is both real and that everyone does and ought know all the details.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yep, people definitely think this is real and aren't just talking about a fictional universe and the consequences of various actions on the actors within that universe. People are actually convinced it's real. You got us, boy are we foolish.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

If it wasn't real why would Lucas say it happened a long time ago? Was that just a cruel joke?

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Second use of the ignore function since 2005!

I hate to say it but I might actually be starting to like Kanan since he was blinded. Something about him always rubbed me the wrong way, I also read the Kanan comic miniseries and "A New Dawn" post season one so that may have something to do with the change in opinion.
I've enjoyed the progress he'd made from not even being a Jedi Knight when Depa Billaba was killed, to now where he's arguably closer to a state of being at peace with it all and his place within it.....even with his recent insecurities over his newfound responsibility for Sabine.

He has to die before it's all over though!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Not until Obi Wan teaches him about force ghosting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gelf posted:

Second use of the ignore function since 2005!

I hate to say it but I might actually be starting to like Kanan since he was blinded. Something about him always rubbed me the wrong way, I also read the Kanan comic miniseries and "A New Dawn" post season one so that may have something to do with the change in opinion.
I've enjoyed the progress he'd made from not even being a Jedi Knight when Depa Billaba was killed, to now where he's arguably closer to a state of being at peace with it all and his place within it.....even with his recent insecurities over his newfound responsibility for Sabine.

He has to die before it's all over though!

I think Kanan is intended to be mostly unlikable. He's a Jedi who got thrust into the position of pseudo-Master without any of the proper training. He's trying to stick to the "old ways" of Jedi training while being forced to learn that those ways are really no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

A bit late to the party, but man was this exactly the episode that I've been waiting for. I've always thought that it would be an interesting subversion of the master/padawan trope to have one side not be a Jedi, and though this episode took the exact opposite approach (instead of training a non-Jedi, I loved the idea of an uneducated Jedi having to crib their training from other sources in the galaxy), it still worked wonderfully.

I'm not quite sure why exactly, but Kanan's frustration came off much better with training Sabine than his entire arc so far with Ezra for me, even despite being so densely packed into just one episode rather than a seasons-long progression. Like yeah, that exposition dump was pretty clumsy on paper, but the performance still sold the hell out of it, and considering the fact that we're well into season 3 by this point without her having any real development as a character, I can easily buy into the idea of her just quietly bottling it up and then exploding all at once from the pressure.

• Locked thread