Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Managed to kill a bunch of rogues with a boulder. Then when I collected my loot I fell into pond and drowned :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What guardian spirit do you guys prefer? I like the fire wolf and earth bull ones because their living weapons last the longest.

Renoistic posted:

Managed to kill a bunch of rogues with a boulder. Then when I collected my loot I fell into pond and drowned :doh:

It's okay, everyone dies there. Dumb water.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 22, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Any tips for the crying boss lady? Does she have any weaknesses? I tried fighting her at level 10 and some attacks almost one-shot me.

Also, why would you ever want any of the skills that require you to sheath the weapon?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I mostly use Kato for the close damage. There have been times where the bird and fish have their uses too. Also the fact that Muneshige doesn't even take the slightest bit of stun off the goddamn axe of all things is making this fight stupid as gently caress. And the invulnerability on certain animations just feels dirty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Renoistic posted:

Any tips for the crying boss lady? Does she have any weaknesses? I tried fighting her at level 10 and some attacks almost one-shot me.

Also, why would you ever want any of the skills that require you to sheath the weapon?

Hug her, most of her attacks cant hit you if you're that close.

Because they're strong?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

RatHat posted:

What guardian spirit do you guys prefer? I like the fire wolf and earth bull ones because their living weapons last the longest.

I like the bull one the most due to getting 30 hp back when you get amrita. It makes elixirs last a little longer between shrines.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I haven't had a demo get me this excited about a game in a super long time

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Does anyone know if there are going to be a big variety of environments or if missions will heavily reuse them? If not this might be the game I wanted Toukiden to be.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Trick Question posted:

This demo rules, this game is gonna rule.

I've been trying an all-dexterity knife chain build this time, and it's fun as hell. The shuriken all seem kind of wimpy, though, anything make those effective? I know traps were the thing in the last demo, are those still in?

Can't get the hang of high-stance, even though people say it's the way to go for big damage. Those quick dodges on the low stance are just too much fun. Any way to make the high-stance attacks less painfully slow?

Shuriken are mostly for causing enemies to go into the grapple-able state. They throw incredibly quickly, so the moment you see an enemy run out of stamina, no matter how far away they are, you can just throw 1 shuriken and then you can grapple. Kunai deal proper damage though, depending your ninja skill power being high enough of course. The Rabbit spirit gives you a giant chunk of that. In the full version you'll be able to get a lot more than 7 kunai/shuriken. Add a healthy chunk of "infinite ninjutsu" gear on top and you can probably throw kunai for days.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Renoistic posted:

Does anyone know if there are going to be a big variety of environments or if missions will heavily reuse them? If not this might be the game I wanted Toukiden to be.
the short missions so far have been samey. the long missions are unique

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I know the game is coming out in like two weeks, but I'm a little sad that this demo is so short. It's just one stage, its twilight version, and the duel, right? I'm not missing another level here? I see these YouTube videos about how to beat certain bosses I've never run into in any demo and feel like I'm missing something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I've done the main mission, its twilight version, and the Muneshige fight, I've done everything in the demo, right? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I spend the rest of the demo just screwing around with different weapons.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I keep having the same experience with the nioh demos. the areas are cool and I enjoy them, but then I get to a boss and all the fun is sucked out of it

I feel that way about Muneshige, the samurai duel boss. For one thing, you'll get demolished if you rely on blocking--for me, that's fine, I don't like to rely on blocking anyway, but up until then it's presented as a viable defensive option and you just can't against him. But then there's the fact that he cheats. He dodges when he has no ki, he goes invulnerable when he starts up certain attacks, he just all-around likes to break the rules that other non-yokai enemies all follow. I can beat him pretty regularly now (and the sword his mission awards owns hard), but getting there was less about me being good enough to beat him and more about memorizing the ways he breaks the rules and not getting suckered in.

The Ogress, though, I find pretty fun. She reminds me of Vicar Amelia, only easier. I say "easier" because the Ogress goes from "holy gently caress how do I beat her she can hit me anywhere I am what the gently caress" to "really easy" as soon as you realize that she can't hit you if you're really close to her except with her leap. In the Twilight version she gains a side/back swipe attack intended to punish you for staying close, but if you're close to her and in front of her, you're still just as safe. She just falls over and dies once you learn her trick.

I can definitely the potential for Nioh to swing too hard for difficult bosses, though, and if more of the bosses are like Muneshige then I'm going to have a bad time with the full game, I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 22, 2017

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
I had it in my head this was due out in May, so two weeks isn't that bad a wait

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like you can't refashion armor to look like certain unique sets? I can't make my Vassal armor look like the Warrior of the West set :negative:

Anyway, a question: is there much, if any, damage reduction difference between light and medium armor of the same level? Because it seems like the difference, at least in the "defensive multiplier" stat, is really small. If that's the case, then medium armor is pretty worthless--you should either go light and have (slightly) better mobility, or heavy and have actual defense. Or is there a stat I'm not looking at that makes medium armor better for defense than light?

Oh, also: Nioh has my favorite video game mimics I think I've ever seen. They don't just mimic a treasure. Once they get caught, they mimic you. The first time I saw that I cracked up laughing, that was delightful.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 22, 2017

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Relin posted:

I just got summoned by someone in Twilight that ignored a kodama I stood on (there's no way he didn't see it), then summoned a revenant. Uhh what the gently caress are people doing in this game. no guy, don't fight the enemies on the way to the boss, you can just run past them and take zero damage

edit: looks like environmental items are on the ground whether a host has picked them up or not? i've also seen hosts retrieve their spirits but different animal spirits are still present
After beating the bird boss, I had one guy who was helping me keep on pointing down near the temple. There was nothing there and he kept on doing it. I thought he was talking about some hidden passage. I messaged him and asked him what am I missing? He messaged me back with a picture of a kodama at the temple where he was pointing down. I already picked up the kodama, so I think phantoms can't see if you've picked them up or not.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I was really excited for this game, but I think I might cancel my preorder after playing the demo. This is the first game I've ever said this about, but I think it is just too hard for me. These bosses just seem like huge hp sinks, and if I'm struggling for hours against the first couple of bosses in the game, I know I am just going to get super frustrated with whatever the hell is at the end game of this. It really bugs me that the samurai guy just straight up cheats too. I thought one of the big points of seeing the stanima bar was you could see that the AI was playing by your rules too.

I can see why some people are really getting into it, but think I am just going to pick up the Berserk game so I can mash X and win like the big baby I am.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Also in Twilight some revenants spawn by themselves if you get close. Never figured out how/why.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Also in Twilight some revenants spawn by themselves if you get close. Never figured out how/why.

There is something playing an instrument, kill it before they summon the revenants.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is everyone that thinks bosses have too much hp leveling right and using their skills? im mean they have a lot of hp, but they don't have that much more than your average souls boss

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pennfalath posted:

There is something playing an instrument, kill it before they summon the revenants.

Those guys are my favorite enemies in the demo. That's a really clever idea for an enemy. The revenants showing up on their own scared the poo poo out of me, but revenants are fun to fight and once you see the strumming guy you can just headshot him with a bow and be done with it if you want.

Davincie posted:

is everyone that thinks bosses have too much hp leveling right and using their skills? im mean they have a lot of hp, but they don't have that much more than your average souls boss

I think Muneshige has too much health for how intense of a fight he can be (unless you're fighting him significantly overleveled). Both Ogress fights are fine once you discover that you can attack her pretty much with impunity by staying close. Mid-stance katana heavy attacks just tore the twilight version apart for me, it was fun.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I was really excited for this game, but I think I might cancel my preorder after playing the demo. This is the first game I've ever said this about, but I think it is just too hard for me. These bosses just seem like huge hp sinks, and if I'm struggling for hours against the first couple of bosses in the game, I know I am just going to get super frustrated with whatever the hell is at the end game of this. It really bugs me that the samurai guy just straight up cheats too. I thought one of the big points of seeing the stanima bar was you could see that the AI was playing by your rules too.

The big boss in the demo (the Ogress) has a lot of health to force you to be aggressive, which (incidentally) is also the easiest way to avoid getting hit by her, since she can't hit you if you're close except with her easy-to-dodge leap. I agree about Muneshige (the samurai guy), though. Unless there's something I'm missing, he full-on cheats with his Ki bar and it made the fight really frustrating for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quick tip: if anyone finished the demo but wants to try out new builds without grinding money, you can get free Books of Reincarnation in the twilight mission. They're at the same place where you got the key in the normal mission and you can run there pretty quickly if you just run right past the big enemies on the way.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 22, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I liked Muneshige a whole lot more than the Ogress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like the idea of Muneshige (and the total lack of run-back if you die) but I found fighting him really frustrating. I could never find the right balance of aggression vs. keeping away that the fight wanted from me. If I tried to play Bloodborne-style aggressive I'd get punished because he'd do one of the charge-up attacks that he goes invulnerable during and own me. If I kept away too much the fight would last ages and his iai dash attacks would eventually get me because I could never judge how far he'd run properly.

I think he's a boss where there's exactly one proper way to fight him--stay mid-range, dodge into his attacks, hit him in the back--and even though my build was well-suited to that (once I ditched spears for katanas, anyway), I could imagine a player who'd gotten through on blocking with heavy armor up to that point just being pissed off that those things just won't work on him. In the full game, if he isn't an optional boss, I expect he'll be a brick wall for anyone building tanky until they learn they're just not supposed to do that. To be fair, I didn't really try that (I went dodgey with medium armor the whole way), but I did try blocking his attacks a few times and it would just eat my whole Ki bar and then he stabs me. God, and the way he always seems to regenerate just enough Ki to chain-dodge while his bar is flashing red in the second half of the fight so that you have to chase him down and take stupid risks if you want to get a critical on him pissed me off.

I dunno, maybe I just suck, I guess that's possible. The Ogress is easy, just stay close and stab her, no problem, but Muneshige just filled me with rage.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 22, 2017

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What's the deal with the rewards? I played the Beta enough to get Conqueror and Strong and now Last Chance is telling me Conqueror can be downloaded. But all I see in the PSN is Mark of the Warrior? idgi

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

The big boss in the demo (the Ogress) has a lot of health to force you to be aggressive, which (incidentally) is also the easiest way to avoid getting hit by her, since she can't hit you if you're close except with her easy-to-dodge leap. I agree about Muneshige (the samurai guy), though. Unless there's something I'm missing, he full-on cheats with his Ki bar and it made the fight really frustrating for me.
I don't think he cheats. I've never seen him be outright invincible in anything but a dodge (and your dodge has the same i-frames). He has poise, but so can players. His stamina seems to refresh instantly when red because he doesn't "hit a button" when his stamina is flashing red. Even players can drop to red stamina and have regen start immediately as long as they don't try to do anything while red. If you bring Muneshige into red with an attack he blocks or hit him while he's red he gets staggered like everybody else.

What makes him hard is that he plays near perfectly - he doesn't panic and stagger himself without the player forcing him to. That and having far more ki regen than a player at the level the mission indicates - you could probably get to Muneshige tier ki regen wearing his armor as well, but you'd need to spend a lot of levels on weight capacity, extra ki and wear a lot of +ki regen gear.

Also don't get discouraged from the game because you can't beat Muneshige. He's an optional, high level boss encounter with drops that you'll only want for a few specific builds. He's not indicative of what the bosses will be like if the previous playables are any indication. The Ogress is a better indicator - unique attack patterns, fairly obvious weak-points, multiple phases. Not player-equivalents using player movesets with player style stamina bars.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 22, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

If I've done the main mission, its twilight version, and the Muneshige fight, I've done everything in the demo, right? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I spend the rest of the demo just screwing around with different weapons.

I feel that way about Muneshige, the samurai duel boss. For one thing, you'll get demolished if you rely on blocking--for me, that's fine, I don't like to rely on blocking anyway, but up until then it's presented as a viable defensive option and you just can't against him. But then there's the fact that he cheats. He dodges when he has no ki, he goes invulnerable when he starts up certain attacks, he just all-around likes to break the rules that other non-yokai enemies all follow. I can beat him pretty regularly now (and the sword his mission awards owns hard), but getting there was less about me being good enough to beat him and more about memorizing the ways he breaks the rules and not getting suckered in.

The Ogress, though, I find pretty fun. She reminds me of Vicar Amelia, only easier. I say "easier" because the Ogress goes from "holy gently caress how do I beat her she can hit me anywhere I am what the gently caress" to "really easy" as soon as you realize that she can't hit you if you're really close to her except with her leap. In the Twilight version she gains a side/back swipe attack intended to punish you for staying close, but if you're close to her and in front of her, you're still just as safe. She just falls over and dies once you learn her trick.

I can definitely the potential for Nioh to swing too hard for difficult bosses, though, and if more of the bosses are like Muneshige then I'm going to have a bad time with the full game, I think.

my problem with ogress isn't that she's hard to figure out (she's not), but that she takes ten years to kill

maybe I'm loving up something tho. like when she drops to no stamina and is stunned, I feel like you should be able to get a special hit on her like other enemies (or a visceral in bloodborne), but I've never managed to do it. could have been really loving up tho, and if so then that's on me for being an idiot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

my problem with ogress isn't that she's hard to figure out (she's not), but that she takes ten years to kill

maybe I'm loving up something tho. like when she drops to no stamina and is stunned, I feel like you should be able to get a special hit on her like other enemies (or a visceral in bloodborne), but I've never managed to do it. could have been really loving up tho, and if so then that's on me for being an idiot

Her stunned state takes at least double damage from every strike, so it's a good time to pop your weapon's Special.

Originally I was trying to use the katana's Low Stance combo on her, but the Mid Stance + Kick worked way better. The extra damage is significant and the kick chops huge chunks off her Ki bar.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Her stunned state takes at least double damage from every strike, so it's a good time to pop your weapon's Special.

Originally I was trying to use the katana's Low Stance combo on her, but the Mid Stance + Kick worked way better. The extra damage is significant and the kick chops huge chunks off her Ki bar.

o I know, it just felt like you should be able to get a visceral in on her when it happens. I already killed her tho because she literally can't hit you if you're basically touching her. just gotta watch out for the leap is all

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

LawfulWaffle posted:

I know the game is coming out in like two weeks, but I'm a little sad that this demo is so short. It's just one stage, its twilight version, and the duel, right? I'm not missing another level here? I see these YouTube videos about how to beat certain bosses I've never run into in any demo and feel like I'm missing something.

What 2 weeks before release demos who have you played with 2 hours of content with tons of build options and multiplayer? Also those videos are from the alpha and beta, bringing the total demo time up to like 15 hours if you played those.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Also don't get discouraged from the game because you can't beat Muneshige. He's an optional, high level boss encounter with drops that you'll only want for a few specific builds. He's not indicative of what the bosses will be like if the previous playables are any indication. The Ogress is a better indicator - unique attack patterns, fairly obvious weak-points, multiple phases. Not player-equivalents using player movesets with player style stamina bars.

Oh, I beat Muneshige yesterday and then spent today playing around with his sweet sword, which is ideal for my build (katanas + Spirit).

Maybe it's just his absurdly fast ki regeneration that makes it feel like he's cheating. The way it's just fast enough that even when his bar is flashing red he can chain-dodge out of your range so you can't stagger him (except in the very beginning of the fight) was just crazy frustrating.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I didn't think she took much longer than Bloodborne bosses do, really, but I might have been slightly overleveled for the normal Ogress. I demolished the Twilight version but I also had a crazy strong sword when I got to her--mid-stance katana heavy attacks were doing like 500 damage per stab to her and I could get off two or three per opening, it was awesome.

MNIMNgaming
Jan 22, 2017
Hey! Just made a video of NIOH! Check it out! Sub if you enjoyed :)

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCA7wTChiU8

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Keep in mind that all Yokai that are out of stamina can be staggered to hell and back until they do a thing to recover it, making it a good time to pop your Spirit Guardian if you have it or to just wail on them with abandon.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

MNIMNgaming posted:

Hey! Just made a video of NIOH! Check it out! Sub if you enjoyed :)

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCA7wTChiU8

So glad you made an account today to pimp out your yt channel, otherwise how would the world know?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

did certain skills get removed or is it just a demo/skill thing? Last time I played in another demo beta the dual swords had a "mash Triangle to create a whirling slashes" and also had a running sword slashes thing. Did they get removed?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Those are both in this demo :confused:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Those are both in this demo :confused:

ah ok, I must have just not leveled up enough and they were still "???" marks on the skill screen. I'm just a lazy gently caress who didn't use the dual swords as much this time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No they're there dude, even when you have no skill points. But yes there are a few skills that were in the previous demos that aren't in this one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

o I know, it just felt like you should be able to get a visceral in on her when it happens. I already killed her tho because she literally can't hit you if you're basically touching her. just gotta watch out for the leap is all

It would be a bit inconsistent if that did happen with boss Yokai only, and being able to do that against regular Yokai would be a bit OP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

It would be a bit inconsistent if that did happen with boss Yokai only, and being able to do that against regular Yokai would be a bit OP.

you can do that to regular yokai. when their stamina depletes, they fall over and you can stab them with triangle like a human enemy

well idk if it works for the tengu or cyclops since I didn't deplete their stamina, but the other ones it does for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can do that to regular yokai. when their stamina depletes, they fall over and you can stab them with triangle like a human enemy

well idk if it works for the tengu or cyclops since I didn't deplete their stamina, but the other ones it does for sure

I don't think that's bound to their stamina depleting- pretty sure that it's because you destroyed their horns, which both knocks them down and completely drains their stamina, regardless of how much of it they had.