Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Nah I kinda like that one but it feels like they gave up halfway on her stupid cat. The other guy is dorky but compared to the rest of the Eldar range, he's positively stellar (not that this takes much effort).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

To me they just don't fit the Eldar aesthetic in any way. I think it's telling they seem to appeal more to Marine players than actual Eldar players.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The Eldar aesthetic is bad though. What's-her-face looks like a Malifaux knock-off, which is a definite step up. We're talking about a range with models like these:

Nothing of value will be lost. (I like the Dire Avengers though.)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Avenging Dentist posted:

The Eldar aesthetic is bad though. What's-her-face looks like a Malifaux knock-off, which is a definite step up. We're talking about a range with models like these:

Nothing of value will be lost. (I like the Dire Avengers though.)

Except I like the Eldar, and I like the Eldar aesthetic. Saying that you didn't like the existing aesthetic, and presumably didn't buy any, and instead you like the new one, is just pissing in the cereal of all the people who actually like and bought Eldar, ever.

Might as well gently caress off from calling them Eldar and label them as a new army, because they've got nothing in common.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Starting to sound familiar. Anyone have a brettonian army too?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

NTRabbit posted:

Except I like the Eldar, and I like the Eldar aesthetic. Saying that you didn't like the existing aesthetic, and presumably didn't buy any, and instead you like the new one, is just pissing in the cereal of all the people who actually like and bought Eldar, ever.

A thousand former WHFB players all nod in agreement here, with the strangest experience of having once been in exactly your shoes.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Might as well gently caress off from calling them Eldar and label them as a new army, because they've got nothing in common.

You mean like... Aeldari? :haw:

If GW actually manages to burn down 40k and replace it with something good, then more power to them. I never much cared that they got rid of Brets or Tomb Kings or any of that; I thought AoS was bad purely on its own (lack of) merits. Even if, by some cosmic force, GW deleted Space Marines and Necrons (the armies I had) entirely, I would consider buying their poo poo if they bothered to make it any good (i.e. good miniatures, rules, pricing, community support, etc). They won't do that though so I am safe.

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about them taking a visual style that's been stale for decades and changing it up. It'd be like getting mad at the Star Wars prequels simply because it didn't have TIE Fighters.

Granted, this is in no small part because I haven't taken my 40k figures out of storage in almost a decade as that's around the point where I realized I didn't enjoy any of it.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
The cat is cool. The Eldar Warrior of Chaos is also cool. Everything else is silly. Yncarne is a stupid name. I was willing to give the model benefit of doubt based on the picture alone, but after seeing the video, I understand what they were going for but the effect does not work at all on a model.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I actually kind of like the idea of a character being modeled in the process of teleporting/dissolving in raw energy, and then that purple thing appears and well... had they done it with say a Tzeenchian model, I'd say it would be actually nice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm so excited for Age of Emperor

Avenging Dentist posted:

Maybe it's the Dyad Bad Thread since it's basically just a reskin of the 40k thread.

Incorrect. We are the transmogrified Age of Emperor thread

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Asterians look pretty cool though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I hate how close the models come to being great and then they gently caress it up. Cat lady? Huge head ornament and a ton of hair all resting on a tiny topknot that will snap off if you think about it the wrong way. Slaanesh guy? That energy stream is flat and has GW Molding all over it, would've made an absolutely awesome wraithbone being shaped though (someone make a Bonesinger conversion with that). Eldar chaos warrior? No idea, I already forgot what he looked like :shrug:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 23, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
byob thread is the skelly thread

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I liked the soon to be defunct Eldar aesthetic too, the problem it has is that many of the sculpts are really old. The range needs updating but not so much turned into those AoS wood elves with the billion spindly bits coming off everything.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree with Pierzak on the look of them. They come close to being great but something gets in the way.
And yeah, it looks like they are combining them. The woman makes me think Craftworld but she's hauling around a Husk Blade and the duder with the fur cape seems to have bits of both Eldar and DEldar. Is he meant to be a new Phoenix Lord, or something? He looks very bulky compared to other space elves.
As for the purple guy... gently caress, just why?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

potentiallycool posted:

Wow the AOS is strong in this one.

(WTF are those rune stones doing in that blue vapour BS)

I will bet money this mini was originally intended to be Daemon Fulgrim but got repurposed halfway through sculpting.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what it is but while the models are poo poo, that and the Tzeentch Beastmen dudes both have some really great colors. Like, I love the blue and turquoise and purple, but everything beyond the colors is just a mess.

It does have me kind of thinking of checking out the current citadel paints, but I also know I shouldn't give GW money.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I don't know what it is but while the models are poo poo, that and the Tzeentch Beastmen dudes both have some really great colors. Like, I love the blue and turquoise and purple, but everything beyond the colors is just a mess.

It does have me kind of thinking of checking out the current citadel paints, but I also know I shouldn't give GW money.

While they are kind of overcosted, if you are going to give GW money (which you shouldn't) the paints aren't the worst place to do it. They have a lot of cool technical, edge, dry and glazes that are really nifty.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Are those Eldar gemstone paints worthwhile at all? I'm going to be painting some constructs in Malifaux and was thinking of maybe trying them to use on the soulstones.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Are those Eldar gemstone paints worthwhile at all? I'm going to be painting some constructs in Malifaux and was thinking of maybe trying them to use on the soulstones.

Not really. They're just fancy colored metallics.

(and as a Ramos player, I wouldn't want them anywhere near my bots)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did someone say it's time for another cracking unboxing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbyrMUKcqA

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those are some seriously impressive knife moves

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And just because i feel pleased with them, have some lovely phone pics of my Thug and Man at Arms for Frostgrave.

I have a problem...

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 23, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Totally not bolt pistols, or anything...

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

steam bolt pistoliers

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Irate Tree posted:

It really does look like they just copy-pasted parts of the drat gun wow. Second dude on top, you can see what looks like a spot where the magazine went and it got painted on accident. None of the other visible bottoms have that color difference.

e; I dig the third dude's orb though. That is a nice orb.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That guy's gun looks like it has a spot for the magazine because he's literally reloading the magazine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Avenging Dentist posted:

That guy's gun looks like it has a spot for the magazine because he's literally reloading the magazine.

Yeah, you can clearly see it's in his hand and not attached to the gun.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Non-gravity fed crossbow boltguns breaks my immersion.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Avenging Dentist posted:

Mother fucker. I was wondering what that was and it didn't click for some reason. :downs:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I originally thought it was a grenade (or rather, a Stormsplinter Throwerdealie) and was disgusted. But once I realized he was reloading, I was even more disgusted.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Irate Tree posted:

What about antigravity-fed crossbow boltguns?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pierzak posted:

What about antigravity-fed crossbow boltguns?

I will fight you.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Irate Tree posted:

Not the part where the part with the actual bowstring part of the crossbow would go through the gun and magazine?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Maybe it's a real gun and the "bow" is just a tacticool accessory??

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Moon posted:

Not the part where the part with the actual bowstring part of the crossbow would go through the gun and magazine?

You know, i have an easier time picturing the repeater crossbow from Vermintide working over this thing. Like, it's pretty loving clear that very little, if any thought, was put into the look of those pistol things. It just looks like they took a pistol from any place and strapped a bow to it.

Just like the new Inquisitor model!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Irate Tree posted:

I'm the stormcast eternal on the top left's immensely long and oversized trigger finger

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm the stormcast eternal on the top left's immensely long and oversized trigger finger

That is actually a twin-tailed comet symbol, middle guy on the bottom row has the exact same arm, you can see it better there.

Just like those weird Tzeentch things it seems there aren't that many parts. Two guys on the right of the top row use the same arms/pose, left and right guy at the bottom row, top left and bottom middle.
Chests are different, so they either attached the arms in the exact same pose or they come attached with some small changes per model.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sad thing too is that, their spiel has them as the scouts of the army and that they have "less bulky armour" than the others. How are they? It's the exact same armour, you just gave them larger capes and some poo poo on the front!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Irate Tree posted:

The sad thing too is that, their spiel has them as the scouts of the army and that they have "less bulky armour" than the others. How are they? It's the exact same armour, you just gave them larger capes and some poo poo on the front!

I think you'll find their armour only contains 1% ur-gold, rather than the 20% in the armour that regular stormcasters wear

• Locked thread