Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can do that to regular yokai. when their stamina depletes, they fall over and you can stab them with triangle like a human enemy

well idk if it works for the tengu or cyclops since I didn't deplete their stamina, but the other ones it does for sure

Oh yeah, you're right. I think it only works against the smaller Oni, but yeah. Nevermind then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can't down stab cyclops but you can hurt their eye to empty their ki and stun them for a while. if tengus have a special weak point i haven't found it.

you can also make the amrita ogres in the twilight stage explode if you heat them up enough, which is kind of like a visceral attack except the part where it also hurts you

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Gyokuto: Pronounced "Gyokuto" in Japanese.

ok

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Agnostalgia posted:

Gyokuto: Pronounced "Gyokuto" in Japanese.

ok
this guy probably pronounces it "guy o cut o" in this head :rolleyes:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

you can't down stab cyclops but you can hurt their eye to empty their ki and stun them for a while. if tengus have a special weak point i haven't found it.

you can also make the amrita ogres in the twilight stage explode if you heat them up enough, which is kind of like a visceral attack except the part where it also hurts you

Oh I was wondering why an oni I was fighting exploded, that explains it. Is it just using fire that causes them to overheat?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

lets hang out posted:

I really love all these little details for the various yokai. The slimes really hate fire, the mimic (tanuki?) has a little gesture duel before the fight, if you heat up the Amrita Fiends they explode, the little hoppers steal your amrita to grow into big one eyed oni, etc.

It has yokai umbrellas! Mythology is the best.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of the slimes, what yokai are they supposed to be anyway?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

btw for slimes, since a lot of the people I play with don't seem to get it, if they lunge at you and miss they'll leave the skull(?) floating inside them exposed for a second while they recover, and hitting it does a shitload of damage to them. If they bounce off your guard it'll only be exposed very briefly so it's better to dodge them. Also the poo poo slimes (I mean they throw it at you) in the twilight stage really don't appreciate the water element you can get from the skulls who spawn next to them.

RatHat posted:

Oh I was wondering why an oni I was fighting exploded, that explains it. Is it just using fire that causes them to overheat?

I think any damage might contribute a little bit but fire damage definitely does it the best. You can see them glow brighter as they heat up.

https://my.mixtape.moe/koerhw.webm

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 22, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RatHat posted:

Speaking of the slimes, what yokai are they supposed to be anyway?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Be sure to use some skill points to some ninja stuff (the points you get from locks, for example), there are some generally useful abilities in that and in the omoyi spirit magic trees that give passive bonuses. Also, beat Munishige with the "stab him with his own sword" - trick, but drat that was hard to time right.

Edit: Also, you start with quite an arsenal of ranged weapons. If you are having a hard time early on just snipe some stationary enemies in the head with anything, many don't move before they see you so you can take your time aiming.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 22, 2017

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Just finished the twilight mission (completed everything else, too), and I didn't get the mark of the strong. Went to the opening splash menu, which tells you to press square to download the dlcs, but hitting the MotS one gives me a "can not connect at this time" message.

I'm going to be super butthurt if it didn't unlock for whatever reason.

Actually, looking at it, I only have the mark of the strong, and not the mark of the conqueror. I'm going to assume this is just demo shenanigans.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 22, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was able to get mark of the strong but not mark of the conquerer. Same problem. Can you only pick one of them or something?

That Ogress fight would be 95% easier if that jump attack wasn't such a crapshoot. I know how to dodge it since every video game has at least 20 enemies with that exact attack, but the way she just sort of randomly rotates when coming down combined with the camera getting hosed up by the walls makes it a real pain.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

one of the marks is bugged. playstation twitter said earlier that they're going to resolve it after the game comes out, somehow. (they'll probably just give it to everyone)

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

The Moon Monster posted:

I was able to get mark of the strong but not mark of the conquerer. Same problem. Can you only pick one of them or something?

That Ogress fight would be 95% easier if that jump attack wasn't such a crapshoot. I know how to dodge it since every video game has at least 20 enemies with that exact attack, but the way she just sort of randomly rotates when coming down combined with the camera getting hosed up by the walls makes it a real pain.

I looked at it again after reading your post, and I actually do have Mark of the Strong. I got it from completing the first mission, though, so I assumed it was Conqueror. Mark of the conqueror is AWOL, though. Super weird.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I think any damage might contribute a little bit but fire damage definitely does it the best. You can see them glow brighter as they heat up.

Holy poo poo, I assumed they'd be strong against fire but this owns so hard

Ataxerxes posted:

Be sure to use some skill points to some ninja stuff (the points you get from locks, for example), there are some generally useful abilities in that and in the omoyi spirit magic trees that give passive bonuses. Also, beat Munishige with the "stab him with his own sword" - trick, but drat that was hard to time right.

I can't really comment on how useful onmyo magic is as a focus of your build, but there are some great little utility spells in there. I like (I think) Rejuvenation Talisman that gives you like 25 life per tick back and lasts a good minute or so. I'm guessing if I actually invested in Magic a bit that would heal even more, but it's still useful even without it, and you're gonna get those locks anyway so you might as well use the skill points.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
co-op works really different in Nioh than in Dark Souls, but once you get used to the rules, I kinda like it. You don't have to bother dropping summon signs and summoning each other back and forth every bonfire; you stay in a session together, you can ressurect each other when you die but it drains a meter, but visiting shrines doesn't kick out the other player it just refills the meter. Even after you finish a mission, you stay together in the same session and can start the next. MUCH more convenient to co-op than dark souls.

My one complaint is you can't level up mid-mission, and you can't save at shrines, so it really turns the levels into a single linear straight shot more like a ninja gaiden mission than a dark souls world where you're walking around and living in it. But it works well, I'm not complaining, everybody gets credit and you can level up at the end. Its very fair.

Having some really good fun co-oping the demo with a friend, can't loving wait for the final game to release.

E: Co-op ALSO works dark souls style! You can do BOTH. That's fantastic!

Relin posted:

edit: looks like environmental items are on the ground whether a host has picked them up or not? i've also seen hosts retrieve their spirits but different animal spirits are still present

Loot is entirely personal, everybody gets to loot things individually. If somebody loots something it spawns loot for everybody in their world. Things like the healing hot spring also track individually; one person can use it and then its "used" when they look at it, but another person can look at it and its still "fresh" and they can still use it. Or you can both take a bath together :3:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 23, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lets hang out posted:

:allears: little things like this... love it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

DatonKallandor posted:

I really love all these little details for the various yokai. The slimes really hate fire, the mimic (tanuki?) has a little gesture duel before the fight, if you heat up the Amrita Fiends they explode, the little hoppers steal your amrita to grow into big one eyed oni, etc.

If you do the same gesture back at the tanuki, they cheer and give you their treasure without a fight. At least one in both demos they've been in also taught you a new gesture.

I miss the wall yokai, though I never quite got the hang of making them peace out without fighting.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For the wall yokai you're supposed to do an opposite gesture of whatever face they're making or the hints around them (it's been awhile). That's why gestures are grouped into different colors

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The spinny chain thing is a ton of fun, wow.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wall yokai want to see one of the three colors and give you two chances to get it right. the first one in the caves had a developer revenant near it with a message that was basically "don't do [color]" so you were guaranteed to get it right as long as you avoided that, the second one didn't have a hint so you just had a 2 out of 3 chance to guess.

tanukis will give you a new gesture for copying the one they do, and will give you a different gesture if you get it wrong. if you attack them you get nothing, except for the loot they explode into

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Now that this is almost out, how does it compare to Dark Souls/Bloodborne? IS the combat pretty similar? Is the world complex and cool? Will I die hundreds of times?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You can still download the demo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Now that this is almost out, how does it compare to Dark Souls/Bloodborne? IS the combat pretty similar? Is the world complex and cool? Will I die hundreds of times?

You will die hundreds of times. Its really good and compares favorably with dark souls. It feels fresh in the way bloodborne was and dark souls 3 wasn't. The combat is much DEEPER than souls even, with ninja gaiden style combos and special moves and counters and stuff. Also diablo style RNG loot. Its brilliant.

The levels though are disconnected, more like demon's souls, but not even as connected as the demon's souls worlds. More like ninja gaiden or devil may cry. So the level design is good, there's shortcuts and multiple bonfires and hidden things, and the world looks great, but it lacks the huge twisting immersion of dark souls.

Still, loving great. Buying it day 1 for sure.

Today is the last day of the demo, try it out while you can!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Demo just died for me, precisely midnight, in England. :saddowns:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what kind of demon is that weird hopping umbrella thing in the house by the tree you can knock over?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Real hurthling! posted:

what kind of demon is that weird hopping umbrella thing in the house by the tree you can knock over?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasa-obake

Interesting notes:

- The Kasa-obake appears as a character in Jackbox Party Pack 3's game Tee K.O

Lol what.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

DatonKallandor posted:

Please don't attack the Tanukis or Nurikabes. Please stop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Please don't attack the Tanukis or Nurikabes. Please stop.

Holy poo poo I didn't realize I could just gesture back to the Tanukis and make them happy, I'm a monster :negative:

I did wonder why they weren't aggressive.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Every single person I helped attacked them instantly except for one guy who did the emote and then attack it while it was jumping for joy that it had made a friend.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Belzac posted:

Every single person I helped attacked them instantly except for one guy who did the emote and then attack it while it was jumping for joy that it had made a friend.

I think the only hint that you should NOT attack tanukis is an extremely vague loading tip? At least the Nurikabes had dev messages surrounding them

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I think the only hint that you should NOT attack tanukis is an extremely vague loading tip? At least the Nurikabes had dev messages surrounding them

You really shouldn't need a hint considering they're non-aggressive. They even make it so you get exhausted when they startle you so you can't immediately take action in response.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You CAN'T attack a Tanuki until you see that it's not aggressive. You're being kill happy and dark souls trained think you're about to die from a mimic if you ignore it and attack them anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You really shouldn't need a hint considering they're non-aggressive. They even make it so you get exhausted when they startle you so you can't immediately take action in response.

They open by "attacking" you (exploding the chest) and turn aggressive if you run the hell away instead of emoting back. It sends some mixed messages!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

years of dark souls has trained me to attack anything that comes from a chest

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i missed this trailer when it came out and dang it's cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLW04LUUYls

he's got a western sword at one point and it looks like he's on a castle, maybe a flashback or intro level?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

poptart_fairy posted:

The spinny chain thing is a ton of fun, wow.

Only weapon I can reliably get anywhere with I still die 1000 times but I look AWESOME doing tha

Buncha Samurai Champloo OST tracks work real good in the game btw

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Kusarigama is pretty awesome for cheese too. High stance + heavy attack and runaway for days.

I'm not sure how ninja gaiden this game will get on ninjutsu builds but nunchakus would be nice in the final game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

How the gently caress are you supposed to beat this duel? Holy poo poo…