Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Rude posted:

Can someone please repost Sheep-goats' (I think?) comment about how China is akin to an Orc camp? Tia.

"When asked 'What was China like??!?!!?' my response is 'Like a goblin camp from the Lord of the Rings.'"

You were probably looking for a longer quote by someone else involving an Uruk Hai wondering if the behavior of his kind is beneficial for his "wretched progeny" but I don't have that at hand. Probably it's in the op somewhere in the last China thread which has to be near the first page of GBS Graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

"When asked 'What was China like??!?!!?' my response is 'Like a goblin camp from the Lord of the Rings.'"

You were probably looking for a longer quote by someone else involving an Uruk Hai wondering if the behavior of his kind is beneficial for his "wretched progeny" but I don't have that at hand. Probably it's in the op somewhere in the last China thread which has to be near the first page of GBS Graveyard.

I don't have archives, which sucks.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I think it was Arglebargle who said that. The dude who had the Krogan Avatar. Everytime I read something of his, it's in a Krogan's voice.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Haier will you settle down for soldier girl?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Didn't some chinaman come in and start bitching that we were calling Chinese people "literal orcs?"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

Didn't some chinaman come in and start bitching that we were calling Chinese people "literal orcs?"
1) Chinaman aint the preferred nomenclature, hombré
2) Tolkien described the orcs as "squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes" so yeah
3) who the hell are you
4) yeah they did

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Who the hell are you? I'll fight you.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

2) Tolkien described the orcs as "squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes" so yeah

Ehhhhh

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I like China being compared to Morrowind.

Wealth beyond measure outlander.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The silt striders sure would be helpful evading the human feces on the sidewalks.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Why walk when you can ride?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Except that speaking as someone who both played the game religiously and lives on a volcanic Island: Vvardenfell is a waybetter place than China

Bum the Sad posted:

Who the hell are you? I'll fight you.
im the fecal matter in ur oil, the heavy metals in your air, the plastic in your rice

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

JaucheCharly posted:

Taiwan goons, how is the best China's chabuduo game? I want to know, is it something that communist rule brought forth?

Not nearly as bad as China sorry. But Mainland Chinese people try their best to import it to Taiwan.

Taiwan #1.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&pagenumber=219&perpage=40#post442253672

Arglebargle III posted:

There's no news in it if you've already been following the issues. Chinese smog is horrible because heavy industry is subsidized, coal emission standards are nonexistent and China burns a lot of very dirty coal, fuel emission standards are written by the monopolist SOE that sells fuel, and the enforcement rate of the environmental regulations on the books ranges from zero to none. The only news here is that this was published by Xinhua and is coming out as part of a government initiative to reduce pollution. I mean I suppose Chinese people might lift a finger to do something about pollution but I doubt it. Last time there was a rumor of a possible protest against a petrochemical plant in my burg they closed down the city center and rescheduled the weekend.

She's doing the classic hostile-audience persuasion strategy of empathize-narrate-educate or whatever you call it where she starts out by telling a story about how she had just the same opinions as the audience about pollution until bla bla bla tell a little story about her personal journey of discovery and then educate them on the facts. The funny part is that in order to do the first step she has to estimate the average audience member's opinion and her guess (probably correct) is one of almost criminal ignorance. It's like giving a presentation to orcs about cleaning up Mordor. "At first, I too thought that the reeking sulfurous clouds and greasy water choked with the ashes of industry were a normal, healthy part of Lord Sauron's benevolence! But when it was my time to unleash my own hideous brood upon our hated enemy the Earth, I started thinking: is constantly weeping blood and pus really what I want for my wretched progeny?"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Taiwan has a mild case of (for a westerner) frustrating culture, sure.

I hope so much that Haier's dalliance pays off! Sounds great for him.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

Too good to be true. Honeypot.

For further information, watch the first three season of Burn Notice

Watch Burn Notice anyway because it is good.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

I hope so much that Haier's dalliance pays off! Sounds great for him.

But we all know he's gonna have an update or two about how it's going great and she might be the one, then a week or two later come back with an insane tale of how he just got Chinared harder than ever before.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Haier getting into a serious relationship with a cop's ex-soldier sister would be an amazing finish.

Like some sort of Stockholm syndrome but not really. Or maybe something else. This is all a ploy Haier, they know who you are. Look deep within your heart and you'll know I speak true. I can't say any more here, it's not safe.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJNZbwdMT8

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

Thanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oohhboy posted:

Watch Burn Notice anyway because it is good.

Show owns for many reason and it has Bruce Campbell.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

Show owns for many reason and it has Bruce Campbell.

He even got a TV movie spin-off Chuck Finley origin story.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arglebargle III posted:

There's no news in it if you've already been following the issues. Chinese smog is horrible because heavy industry is subsidized, coal emission standards are nonexistent and China burns a lot of very dirty coal, fuel emission standards are written by the monopolist SOE that sells fuel, and the enforcement rate of the environmental regulations on the books ranges from zero to none. The only news here is that this was published by Xinhua and is coming out as part of a government initiative to reduce pollution. I mean I suppose Chinese people might lift a finger to do something about pollution but I doubt it. Last time there was a rumor of a possible protest against a petrochemical plant in my burg they closed down the city center and rescheduled the weekend.

She's doing the classic hostile-audience persuasion strategy of empathize-narrate-educate or whatever you call it where she starts out by telling a story about how she had just the same opinions as the audience about pollution until bla bla bla tell a little story about her personal journey of discovery and then educate them on the facts. The funny part is that in order to do the first step she has to estimate the average audience member's opinion and her guess (probably correct) is one of almost criminal ignorance. It's like giving a presentation to orcs about cleaning up Mordor. "At first, I too thought that the reeking sulfurous clouds and greasy water choked with the ashes of industry were a normal, healthy part of Lord Sauron's benevolence! But when it was my time to unleash my own hideous brood upon our hated enemy the Earth, I started thinking: is constantly weeping blood and pus really what I want for my wretched progeny?"

Saved for posterity.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone know what the sulphur the fuel has? I would imagine the acid rain to be pretty hardcore.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BCR posted:

WALK IN, DROP TROU, SPRAY THE WALLS, CALL ME MAO

:five:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
my wife wants to take a job in beijing (not english teaching), it pays $3,000 US a month, and they provide flights, medical insurance, and housing

im trying to tell her how awful it can be living there when you dont speak the language and are pasty white but she doesn't get it

if you don't have any housing expenses is $3,000 US a lot or a little ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's pretty good money for the west so I imagine it's living like a king money in china. But it's still living in China.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Do it ironically posted:

my wife wants to take a job in beijing (not english teaching), it pays $3,000 US a month, and they provide flights, medical insurance, and housing

im trying to tell her how awful it can be living there when you dont speak the language and are pasty white but she doesn't get it

It's only awful after it stops being fun/adventure/interesting though tbh.

Are you like 22? Maybe it wouldn't be as fun.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

hakimashou posted:

It's only awful after it stops being fun/adventure/interesting though tbh.

Are you like 22? Maybe it wouldn't be as fun.

nah im in my early thirties

im not sure if im just brainwashed by this thread or if moving to beijing with a young kid would be as horrible as i think it is

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Do it ironically posted:

Is that going to torpedo your career? Have you considered that her visa won't grant you permission to work domestically and you'll therefore probably end up teaching English unless you have some China specific skill and/or are willing to compete internationally in whatever hokey web based income stream you have?

The problem with "is 3k a lot there?" is that even if it is it isn't much in the US. If you would like to retire some day you need to be saving about 20k a year for your productive years in one interest bearing form or another. Moving to another country retirement can save a lot of that but the medical expenses don't go away.

If you live your life in NYC when you buy seventy if you don't have much savings you can probably still sell your apartment and move to Arizona or Costa Rica or whatever and be okay. If you're already in an Arizona suburb on the other hand...

raton fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 22, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

im not sure if im just brainwashed by this thread or if moving to beijing with a young kid would be as horrible as i think it is
Just do it, jesus.

Make sure your kid into a decent school (the people in this thread can even probably tell you which one!) and live life a little. Even if you just stay for a few years, it's fairly unlikely you'll die and it will look good on your CV.

Pick adventure, Dammit!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Do it ironically posted:

Don't do this to your child.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Just do it, jesus.

Make sure your kid into a decent school (the people in this thread can even probably tell you which one!) and live life a little. Even if you just stay for a few years, it's fairly unlikely you'll die and it will look good on your CV.

Pick adventure, Dammit!

If you're going to move to the other side of the earth on a Just Do It notion (which isn't necessarily bad) then go somewhere nice. A Western native with marketable skills should be able to pick and choose for the most part.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Also, if you don't do it you're going to regret it to the end of your days.

It's much to better regret having done things, which at least involved doing poo poo, rather than sitting in the puddle of your own piss that is regret over inaction.

Sheep-Goats posted:

If you're going to move to the other side of the earth on a Just Do It notion (which isn't necessarily bad) then go somewhere nice. A Western native with marketable skills should be able to pick and choose for the most part.
I don't really know what the dude does, but I highly doubt that he's gonna be offered a place better than the US, meh though it may be, with that wage to start with and all the stuff paid for; Europe and the rest of the first world generally don't need yanks for all that much.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
im canadian and it's a position for my wife, not me, im an engineer though not even sure if i can work while we would be over there i haven't looked into any of that yet

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Then I would say that supporting your wife in her aspirations is a pretty wonderful thing to do? The things I said apply to her then, with the added caveat that if she regrets it might end up with her focusing that regret on you, fairly or unfairly, whereas if you go you can then work together to make it work.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Haha yes goon goto loving Beijing for 3k a month. What kind of engineer are you? A sound engineer at a club? Because 3k a month shouldnt be swaying you

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Aha gently caress off poor trolling attempt, I'm a P Eng, and yeah no poo poo 3k isn't a lot for say New York City but I have no idea what buying power is in China

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Do it ironically posted:

im canadian and it's a position for my wife, not me, im an engineer though not even sure if i can work while we would be over there i haven't looked into any of that yet

Are you working as an engineer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
20k rambos after housing is fine, a good school for the kid might cost a bit more but maybe you can homeschool?

Air quality is the biggest caveat, you have to accept that you'll cut some years/months out of your life just by breathing

• Locked thread