Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

In addition to everything that's already been said, keep in mind that things in FFXIV snapshot. So once you land your Trick Attack and/or pop all your cooldowns, refresh your DoTs. They will continue doing increased damage even if they last longer than the buff/debuff.

It isn't worth it to go out of your way to refresh early like this, since clipping dots is so much more costly than it is for, say, bards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

shift, alt, and ctrl modifiers are kind of painful for me to use with any regularity. I'd much rather use the function keys and the center of the keyboard, which are also there for more than decoration. Sorry if that upsets you I guess.

I use mouse side buttons for the modifiers for all the MMOs I've played and its always worked great. But normally I wouldn't use them If I didn't have them bound to my mouse. My hands clawing that way for a while would hurt.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

brutal swing is a cool ability so I am glad it does damage and stuns and I can't really think of a relevant encounter where you're not safe CC'ing on cooldown

I've tried to stun the succubus on Forgal in Weeping City more than once only to have her resist it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I got my scholar hotkeys arranged so I only have to use the modifiers on some pet skills. On a laptop keyboard it would probably suck trying to touch type the F keys though.

I never hotkeyed dissipation because I still don't know what it's used for

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dissipation is good when you need burst healing now, and can deal with the fairy sustain when things cool down again. I'm thinking a time when you need lustrates to keep a tank up, but have no stacks/aetherflow's on cooldown.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

You eat your fairy for a full Aetherflow stack.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wish I could use the ctrl and alt keys for my keybinds, but I don't like moving off of wasd. I can't reach ctrl and alt that way, so I make due.

~ is the real hotkey secret that no one uses.

it's for my mount :colbert:

It's been like that for me since vanilla WoW and even though I hardly use it I refuse to change it and free up that clearly valuable keybind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

brutal swing is a cool ability so I am glad it does damage and stuns and I can't really think of a relevant encounter where you're not safe CC'ing on cooldown

The first robot in A6S needed to be silenced, so paladins and bards lost DPS there.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I thought there is no silence resistance/immunity build-up, only stun.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

I thought there is no silence resistance/immunity build-up, only stun.

Correct, but in that case you had to hold the ability instead of using it immediately, or it wouldn't be up to interrupt.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Since we're on the topic, my mouse is breaking and I'm thinking of getting one with side buttons for this game. How easy are they to get used to? I was thinking it'd be super super awesome to put my card shuffling shenanigans on my mouse so I can give my left hand a break, but I'm afraid I'll just screw everything up. The speediness of card use in this patch makes them pretty sensitive now, too. I have to be as careful about using draw as I am about turning off Cleric Stance. I'm not sure I really like it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ruta posted:

Since we're on the topic, my mouse is breaking and I'm thinking of getting one with side buttons for this game. How easy are they to get used to? I was thinking it'd be super super awesome to put my card shuffling shenanigans on my mouse so I can give my left hand a break, but I'm afraid I'll just screw everything up. The speediness of card use in this patch makes them pretty sensitive now, too. I have to be as careful about using draw as I am about turning off Cleric Stance. I'm not sure I really like it.

It's easy.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Alternatively they could just get rid of them because they add nothing to the play of the class beyond "do I need to stun or silence" (or rather "do I need to not build up stun or silence immunity").

I also think that stun and silence abilities shouldn't do damage, but that's another discussion.

I agree.
It'd be way better if NIN just straight up had a silence and stun on a shared cooldown or something, and just bake that extra damage into their weaponskills.
It'd be great if they made mug not garbage and their post-50 skills that aren't armor crush more interesting while they were at it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Dream Within a Dream.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

All of these hotkeys and I'm over here with a controller since its way comfier.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my only issue with controller usage is that it's super hard to use the directional arrows and move yourself at the same time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Infinity Gaia posted:

All of these hotkeys and I'm over here with a controller since its way comfier.

Keyboards are much comfier since I don't need to put something down to type

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

my only issue with controller usage is that it's super hard to use the directional arrows and move yourself at the same time.

Someone has never played the older PSP Monster Hunters and learned the way of The Claw.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

That's why the important skills go on face buttons

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I fix this by playing BLM

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Countblanc posted:

Keyboards are much comfier since I don't need to put something down to type

I type with my right hand while I keep moving/DPSing with my left hand.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I got my scholar hotkeys arranged so I only have to use the modifiers on some pet skills. On a laptop keyboard it would probably suck trying to touch type the F keys though.

If you've never watched a fight go completely to poo poo and thought "boy, three extra lustrates/thousands of free mana and massively boosted shields would be real nice right now," you're either playing content below your skill level or much, much better than me.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiterpallasch posted:

If you've never watched a fight go completely to poo poo and thought "boy, three extra lustrates/thousands of free mana and massively boosted shields would be real nice right now," you're either playing content below your skill level or much, much better than me.

It probably has more to do with the people they party with than individual skill. Healer tests are predictable, it only becomes an issue when other people gently caress up.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'm still irrationally mad I can't bind my scroll wheel in this game for whatever reason. I have about 18 buttons bound to my mouse in WoW and only 12 here because of the lack of Ctrl/Alt/Shift+ Scroll Up/Down.

I'm a Bard so it's not super important, but it'd be nice to turn Wanderer's on/off on the fly in some situations but I already have a ton of important stuff bound already.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

I haven't had a chance to try out the extreme primals after Ravana yet, but even in normal instances/trials with bad parties, it just never occurred to me where it would be useful since I thought I would be screwed most of the time needing resummon the fairy in a fight that was already going really badly, probably without swiftcast or any aetherflow stacks left. Since it is apparently useful I've stuck it on the 'H' key (for Help) to give it a go in the future.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

All that matters in this game is that you never use macros to trigger a GCD (except shadowflare with a target macro) and you hit your buttons in the right order for your class. How you want to do it is entirely up to you and in whatever way is most comfortable.

I see this a lot, but on monk I've been using a macro with my second and third form attacks on, one for rear, one for flank. I never seem to have any issues with this (I had first form on there too but sometimes they would activate instead of later forms so they're seperate now). So what's the issue with doing this?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy freaking crap.

If you ever wanted to recreate any NPCs appearance but didn't want to just wing it now's your chance.
A giant rear end list of all(or at least a shitload of) NPCs and the character data to make them.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15hVIN67ZGOwn_HwZUybpgkAc4VnW0WwU4JDPP3Wcmzk/edit#gid=1430513410

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Lord Banana posted:

I see this a lot, but on monk I've been using a macro with my second and third form attacks on, one for rear, one for flank. I never seem to have any issues with this (I had first form on there too but sometimes they would activate instead of later forms so they're seperate now). So what's the issue with doing this?

You're losing .1-.3 seconds (at minimum) of uptime per button you push because of macros being unable to buffer. Do this enough times in a fight and you are spending double-digit numbers of lost GCDs.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Lord Banana posted:

On-GCD macros execute at a slower speed than abilities executed directly, causing you to lose GCDs and thus damage.

Specifically for monk, Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes are used every other cycle while Demolish is used every third, giving you a 2:1 ratio of snap punch:demolish. Do not just blindly alternate your back and flank cycles.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

ruta posted:

My 2c is its really easy, especially with this guy:

Logitech G700/G700s

Plus, the Logitech software used to manage it allows you to create your own macros on the fly, it can be wired and charge or be wireless, and you can store multiple profiles on the mouse itself.

I've had the first version since the day it came out and it still runs like a champ. Battery holds a charge still, buttons still function well. It's just a great mouse.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The new kilroy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Banana posted:

People have basically said it already, but this game will queue GCDs you use up to .5 seconds ahead of when the GCD is actually up. You can manually activate via keypress or mouse click an ability half a second before you can actually cast it and it will execute immediately when it's able.

Macros cannot take advantage of this half a second queue. You're losing half a second every time you use a macro for a GCD and that adds up to hundreds of DPS you're losing as a result over the course of a fight.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

:barf:

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions
I need to up my iLvl for Baelsar's Wall, and it looks like Lore is the only real way, since other dungeons drop 225 and I need 230. Is it worth doing the 50 roulette at all, or should I just be spamming ARF?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Were you always able to queue up having cleric stance toggled off while casting another skill? Because I swear that I don't remember that being a thing before, at least not with so generous a window as being able to do it at pretty much any time during the cast. Has made stance dancing a lot smoother now. Maybe I just never noticed the functionality before though...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

For what purpose?

Sandeep posted:

I need to up my iLvl for Baelsar's Wall, and it looks like Lore is the only real way, since other dungeons drop 225 and I need 230. Is it worth doing the 50 roulette at all, or should I just be spamming ARF?

I would say it's worth doing the roulette if only to preserve sanity. Weeping City also drops 230 gear I'm pretty sure and people will be running that.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Sandeep posted:

You should be spamming PvP.

Frontline gives 50 lore per match, and 500-1000 wolf marks depending on where your team places (with an additional 1000 marks per day from frontline roulette). The Garo collaboration gear is i235 and has sufficient substats to be ok bridge gear to bump your average iLvl up. Every frontline match should only take you 10-15 minutes and queues are very fast right now. Get your lore from that, and buy lore pieces, but fill in the extra slots with Garo gear from wolf marks to get past i230 average faster.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Obligatum VII posted:

Were you always able to queue up having cleric stance toggled off while casting another skill? Because I swear that I don't remember that being a thing before, at least not with so generous a window as being able to do it at pretty much any time during the cast. Has made stance dancing a lot smoother now. Maybe I just never noticed the functionality before though...

oGCD stuff will queue up as well in the last half second of the cast. Cleric stance wont drop until the cast is over but if you hit it with <0.5 seconds remaining on your cast it will drop the moment your cast completes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sandeep posted:

Get a friend(s) to craft you 250 gear. If you're on Excalibur, a lot of people can do that.

• Locked thread