Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice guys, looking forward to getting into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Pulling off a one man stealth mission in LW2 is sooooooo satisfying. Ghostwalker + SMG means you can literally park shinobi-san right next to a civilian and not blow your cover. Threading the needle between drone detection radii to jump into the train with the hack objective is a nail biting experience and feels amazing if you make it out alive.

kater posted:

I got exhausted by the intro mission with 8 guys that can't hit anything to the point that I saved and quit when killing the second pod didn't end it. I get that Long means Long but I really don't think this is for me.

Yeah, that first mission can be a bit of slog if you aren't a speedy player. I've gone through it a few times now since I've been restarting campaigns as I get familiar with the mechanics and it always takes too long. One thing to remember is that you can use grenades and environmental explosives like fuel tanks to pull pods into you. If you know there's a pod nearby, it can be a good way to set up a trap. Another consideration that makes the first mission more difficult, and therefore take longer, is that it's one of the few missions that lets you keep corpses. That means trying to avoid the easy grenade kills, if at all possible. Flashbangs and flanking are your friends.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

kater posted:

I got exhausted by the intro mission with 8 guys that can't hit anything to the point that I saved and quit when killing the second pod didn't end it. I get that Long means Long but I really don't think this is for me.

As much as LW can be a slog having 8 guys who can't hit anything is a hell of a lot easier than having 4, there was probably nothing more pointless and frustrating than vanilla gatecrasher in the whole game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I haven't played XCOM2 in a long time, is there a list somewhere of quality cosmetic mods? (besides the only one I know, capnbubs stuff)

Also, cool gameplay/fix mods that work with LW2. About to start the punishment.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
So, I think I got to the end of the game, but the game just hung on a black screen at some point:

Is there anything after the underwater creepiness? Anything important that I missed out on?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Good lord rocket scatter is exactly as stupid as it was in LW1. You pretty much need the perk that makes them more accurate.

Taffer posted:

I haven't played XCOM2 in a long time, is there a list somewhere of quality cosmetic mods? (besides the only one I know, capnbubs stuff)

Also, cool gameplay/fix mods that work with LW2. About to start the punishment.

Stop Wasting My Time, reduces Bradford VO and makes Gremlins faster
Instant Avenger Menus, removes the transition animations in base management
Overwatch All
Evac All
Gotcha, to see if it's a flank or not before you move
Perfect Information, for displaying hit/dodge odds when someone shoots

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 22, 2017

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Antti posted:

Stop Wasting My Time, reduces Bradford VO and makes Gremlins faster
Instant Avenger Menus, removes the transition animations in base management
Overwatch All
Evac All
Gotcha, to see if it's a flank or not before you move
Perfect Information, for displaying hit/dodge odds when someone shoots

Thanks very much

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

kater posted:

Christ, I know one of the bigger complaints is that Long war is too long, but you haven't even started yet.

the intro mission is not even a long war thing, vanilla was exactly the same

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

As much as LW can be a slog having 8 guys who can't hit anything is a hell of a lot easier than having 4, there was probably nothing more pointless and frustrating than vanilla gatecrasher in the whole game.

I know this is a nearly universal complaint, but I honestly don't find gatecrasher to be that hard. You have unlimited turns to set up engagements for maximum advantage. Its always a city map so you almost always have high ground near any given patrol. I usually open with a grenade while everybody else is in overwatch on a rooftop and that's pod 1 down 95% of the time. You can also use the Beagle cheese move of breaking a window to break concealment, pull them into overwatch and then take a free turn. After that, you revert to the old XCOM2012 blue move creep and the instant you make contact you retreat out of LOS and let them run your overwatches while you chill in full cover. Repeat. Plant explosives. Go home. I probably end up with a wound about 50% of the time just because of the number of dice rolls but only very occasionally get someone killed and have to restart. I've always had way more trouble with the first supply raid and retaliation missions than I ever had with gatecrasher.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've always interpreted the complaints about gatecrasher to be somewhat similar to the complaints about the temple of trials in fo2

it's less that it's hard per se, and more that you have the least amount of agency that you're going to have in the entire game, and the motherfucker is right at the start so it's almost a toll booth to having fun

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Coolguye posted:

it's less that it's hard per se, and more that you have the least amount of agency that you're going to have in the entire game, and the motherfucker is right at the start so it's almost a toll booth to having fun

it's this. People could have a save game straight after a perfect gatecrasher and not even feel bad about it, because they just don't wanna do gatecrasher. Might take out the first mission entirely for GW.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

i've always interpreted the complaints about gatecrasher to be somewhat similar to the complaints about the temple of trials in fo2

That's a very astute read.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Coolguye posted:

Sure, that makes sense. I do hear jokes and complaints about it being a crapshoot pretty often on streams and such, but yeah I can't say I'm stoked to run through it most of the time.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Maluco Marinero posted:

it's this. People could have a save game straight after a perfect gatecrasher and not even feel bad about it, because they just don't wanna do gatecrasher. Might take out the first mission entirely for GW.

There is a mod that does in vanilla, but I haven't tried it in lw2. I believe it is called quicker start.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

thelazyblank posted:

So, I think I got to the end of the game, but the game just hung on a black screen at some point:

Is there anything after the underwater creepiness? Anything important that I missed out on?

just a stats screen for your campaign.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

wolfman101 posted:

There is a mod that does in vanilla, but I haven't tried it in lw2. I believe it is called quicker start.

Yea, but it crashes. A lot.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Shroud posted:

Yea, but it crashes. A lot.

I guess you can call it a gate "crasher" :v:

But really if you use it be wary of crashes. If crashes keep persisting no matter what just remove that mod from your game and just edit your soldier stats to something like 500 aim to clear the mission and revert back to base stats when you're done/console commands to give yourself infinite ammo and movement points.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo, my maxed out ranger Hulk Hogan got Death from Above as a bonus perk and killed four aliens in one turn. So that's how you get that achievement.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

So uhhh, first infiltration, had 3 days to infiltrate and sent a 4-man squad to make it faster. Even spent the 25 intel for a 75% boost, "very light" advent presence, it said. 2 turns in, I'm cornered by three 5-enemy pods, including 3 drones and 2 sectiods and 2 officers. This is on veteran.

First turn of the engagement, I grenade 5 enemies and kill 2. On their turn one of my guys dies and the other 3 get stunned by drones.

I know you're supposed to be hard, LW, but this is ridiculous.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I read their forums and they said they had to keep their word count down and be specifically vague on what does what or what something means because translations aren't free, or in the case of skills that it would have to do exactly what they said. Echoing previous posts though, if it just says "Light", you better steer clear of that. A lot of missions will pop up that you just can't go on because of expiration.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Taffer posted:

So uhhh, first infiltration, had 3 days to infiltrate and sent a 4-man squad to make it faster. Even spent the 25 intel for a 75% boost, "very light" advent presence, it said. 2 turns in, I'm cornered by three 5-enemy pods, including 3 drones and 2 sectiods and 2 officers. This is on veteran.

Three 5-enemy pods sounds pretty reasonable for Very Light. You'd have been fine if you'd been able to take them on one-by-one, right?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

Three 5-enemy pods sounds pretty reasonable for Very Light. You'd have been fine if you'd been able to take them on one-by-one, right?

I only had 4 people and they were all squaddies, so that would have been a stretch. It was the first mission after gatecrasher and I spent all my intel to make it manageable.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Taffer posted:

First turn of the engagement, I grenade 5 enemies and kill 2. On their turn one of my guys dies and the other 3 get stunned by drones.

I know you're supposed to be hard, LW, but this is ridiculous.

According to that LW2 basics video that was posted upthread, this is how many enemies there are at each level:

Not sure how accurate this is (plus I don't think it counts reinforcements), but it should give you a better idea of what you're getting into.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
15 enemies on Very Light and 100% Infiltration is way on the high end. It's usually like 6-10 for me.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Lynx posted:

According to that LW2 basics video that was posted upthread, this is how many enemies there are at each level:

Not sure how accurate this is (plus I don't think it counts reinforcements), but it should give you a better idea of what you're getting into.

I would encourage people to watch at least a few of that guy's videos. I guess he was a playtester for Pavonis and is the only streamer/youtuber that I've found that seems to know how the mechanics of LW2 work for a whole campaign. He's been rushing lasers, setting all of his haven personnel to Intel and only taking missions he can 100% + infiltrate. There's also a mechanic for taking over your region completely and kicking Advent out by running a series of missions that the game never actually tells you about. He also stealths a bunch of missions rather than trying to fight. I found his vids to be very helpful, especially for the completely opaque strategy layer.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If anyone wants to take the weeaboo down a notch, you can just copy and paste the Shinobi classdata.ini stuff into another LW2 compatible class' .ini, then delete the entries.

Feels good, man. Feels loving good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I did a supply raid earlier. I went in knowing it would be full of dudes, so I took a 10-man squad with a ton of explosives. Level started with two 10-alien pods about three steps from my spawn.

The neat thing about the idiotic number of enemies in a situation like that is explosives become way, way better. It also helps when a bunch of troopers cluster around a car for cover :getin:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I would encourage people to watch at least a few of that guy's videos. I guess he was a playtester for Pavonis and is the only streamer/youtuber that I've found that seems to know how the mechanics of LW2 work for a whole campaign. He's been rushing lasers, setting all of his haven personnel to Intel and only taking missions he can 100% + infiltrate. There's also a mechanic for taking over your region completely and kicking Advent out by running a series of missions that the game never actually tells you about. He also stealths a bunch of missions rather than trying to fight. I found his vids to be very helpful, especially for the completely opaque strategy layer.

Next playthru I do I'll be rushing lasres as well. I'd imagine the damage/aim bump is an even bigger boost the earlier you get it.

Did a solo shinobi (callsign "Clutch" which is fitting) 4 prisoner jailbreak last night at ~80% infil last night. Loaded her up with flashbangs and the frost grenade. Stealthed all the way to the cells, broke em out, flashbanged/froze the closest pod and had everyone out before they could even land a hit.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Retro42 posted:

Next playthru I do I'll be rushing lasres as well. I'd imagine the damage/aim bump is an even bigger boost the earlier you get it.

Did a solo shinobi (callsign "Clutch" which is fitting) 4 prisoner jailbreak last night at ~80% infil last night. Loaded her up with flashbangs and the frost grenade. Stealthed all the way to the cells, broke em out, flashbanged/froze the closest pod and had everyone out before they could even land a hit.

Is his name Marcus by any chance?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Got a link? I tried looking through the thread for the original video but nothing leapt out at me.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jfood posted:

If anyone wants to take the weeaboo down a notch, you can just copy and paste the Shinobi classdata.ini stuff into another LW2 compatible class' .ini, then delete the entries.

Feels good, man. Feels loving good.

Or you can just go to XComGame.int in (Long War 2 folder)\Localization\ and change "Shinobi" to something else wherever it appears in a text string (i.e., inside quotation marks).

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Zoran posted:

Or you can just go to XComGame.int in (Long War 2 folder)\Localization\ and change "Shinobi" to something else wherever it appears in a text string (i.e., inside quotation marks).

This. Replace it all with "Scout" and "Scout's" and you'll be happier.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Bremen posted:

Got a link? I tried looking through the thread for the original video but nothing leapt out at me.

Ya bud: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkr09O8z61-oQlwmtjnczgQTccjbZP_9n

e: FYI his chatter is just as annoying as every other youtuber on earth idk why they all talk like this

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 23, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Zoran posted:

You don't have to gently caress with the localization int? I figured since it was a custom class you'd have to download modbuddy and have a go at those files too.

C'est la vie.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's a known bug in LW2 but it bugs the hell out of me anyway: pistols disappear when you start maps but if you save and reload they'll be there.

The AWC perk tree is awesome too.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm still playing vanilla and am I correct to understand there is something that will give my soldiers a free random ability? Like from a facility I can build?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Advanced Warfare Center. Each solider has a secret perk they can unlock at a particular promotion if you have an awc up. If you build it after they've promoted past that promotion it's gone.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Advanced Warfare Center. Each solider has a secret perk they can unlock at a particular promotion if you have an awc up. If you build it after they've promoted past that promotion it's gone.
Does the AWC need to be staffed by any engie?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Not to unlock random perks, no, but staffing the AWC decreases wound times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Started a new game of vanilla and it seems bugged; the enemies just stand there and don't react. I thought "Commander" was supposed to be a step up on difficulty.