Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
His paycheck for 5 days of "work" is probably more than I make in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
lol, the AD at Oregon should have waited like three weeks and they could have had Chip back.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

His paycheck for 5 days of "work" is probably more than I make in a year.

I sure hope you make more than $15k/yr

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
None of this really seems like Willie's fault but not exactly an inspiring start. Chip being out there is gonna be awful for him too because that's all anyone will talk about whenever something bad happens.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

That 'ole Lane Kiffin coaching tree

Some irony in that he's Kiffin's brother in law who Kiffin notably screwed over. It wrecked his career for a couple years before he was able to get back on track at USF and become a hot name again.

an adult beverage posted:

lol, the AD at Oregon should have waited like three weeks and they could have had Chip back.

Yeah, but Willie is legit really good though.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

an adult beverage posted:

Chip wasn't coming back dude

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

dphi posted:

Why not?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bunch of reasons. Main reason being that Chip famously doesn't like recruiting and recruiting out of Oregon is a real bitch because Oregon is about a thousand miles from the closest recruiting hotspot so it involves a ton of time traveling. Besides, going back to a place as dysfunctional as Oregon is definitely not a guarantee of success. Also Chip didn't leave Oregon on exactly good terms: he was dodging some NCAA violations and got out just in time. So while people like the success Chip had, it was a messy situation all around.

Also RE the coach DUI. There's more to the story on that. 6 units responded to the DUI and he ended up with a bunch of traffic violations. I haven't heard the full story yet, but he must've been seriously shitfaced and doing some seriously reckless poo poo to get that response. Also the whole 'passenger in his vehicle' thing has been heavily emphasized, albeit the UO was very quick to add it wasn't a student athlete or a subordinate so lol they're already in damage control. Sounds like he had quite a night.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 23, 2017

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Clemson hiring Todd Bates out of Jacksonville State to be the new DL coach after Hobby left for the Jags. Young coach who played for Bama. Had some good teams at JSU I guess. Seems like a lackluster hire.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

dphi posted:

Because he'll be at Florida after Coach Mac gets let go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Glazer is saying Chip Kelly is a candidate to replace Kyle Shanahan as the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator if Kyle takes the SF head job.

If that's the case then I'd say it's pretty drat clear Chip isn't coming back to the college game any time soon.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sure he'd prefer to stay in the NFL personally but I don't think an OC job is going to stop him from taking a big money head coach job next year if he starts getting offers (and I'm guessing he will)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Chip apparently hates recruiting, so unless he goes to a big name that recruits itself or has some great assistants, he isn't going back to college.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Oregon fired all the assistant coaches when they fired Helfrich, including ones who worked with Kelly. I think that's a good indicator they were looking in a different direction.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

I'm sure he'd prefer to stay in the NFL personally but I don't think an OC job is going to stop him from taking a big money head coach job next year if he starts getting offers (and I'm guessing he will)

Let's start Chip Kelly to Notre Dame rumors and see who's head explodes first.

smithers
Jun 18, 2013
I think Chip's issue with the college level is less about disliking recruiting and more about not having any patience for schmoozing with boosters. It's one of the reasons I think Oregon was actually a good fit for him at the college level - because there's only one booster who really matters, and he and Phil always seemed to get along fine. My gut feeling is that he would prefer to take an NFL OC job over coming back to the college ranks. It's pretty clear he wants to coach in the NFL for the long term and no matter how well he does at another college stop it doesn't really get him any closer to another NFL HC gig. Showing that he can adapt and coach offense in the NFL will go a lot farther towards repairing his reputation among GMs.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Seems like Greg Frey will be leaving Indiana to return to Michigan. Would be a very nice hire

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

6 units responded to the DUI and he ended up with a bunch of traffic violations.

Two I can understand, three even makes sense if a third one happened by.

Six? What GTA nonsense was he up to?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

smithers posted:

because there's only one booster who really matters
You seem to be forgetting the Papés, Kilkenny's, and Jaqua? All are big time Athletics donors as well. Phil isn't the only game in town.

Sash! posted:

I see you've never been to or lived in Eugene.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ND's new QB coach is Tommy Rees.

Yes that Tommy Rees.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahaha

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DJExile posted:

Yes that Tommy Rees.

hellyeahhellyeahhellyeah

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sash! posted:

Apparently they could hav ehit him with a bunch more violations. Also it turns out the passenger was the new receivers coach.

SeaborneClink posted:

I see you've never been to or lived in Eugene.

Nah 6 cars for 2 middle aged white guys is 100% unusual. Apparently he was driving so badly (and for a while) that they got multiple calls about it and a whole shitload of cars responded.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 25, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/824018508837228546

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pretty sure Saban is doing that to get some FSU Intel lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pssssssssssssssssssssssssst yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah what a dick.

Good for Clint though.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yes that Tommy Rees.

Excuse he has asked to be called Tom Rees please show some respect

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Apparently they could hav ehit him with a bunch more violations. Also it turns out the passenger was the new receivers coach.

Nah 6 cars for 2 middle aged white guys is 100% unusual. Apparently he was driving so badly (and for a while) that they got multiple calls about it and a whole shitload of cars responded.

If you think 4-6 cars responding to an interesting call is 'out of the ordinary' then I don't know what to tell you.

I've had 2 K-9 units + 6 cars show up to m house for a call I put in at 2 am to the non-emergency line, because someone was drunkenly pounding on my door.

Two cars for any DUII stop is required by law, you're bound to have at least 1 more show up because they were 'around'.

If the stop was on the north side of Beltline then I consider that response completely ordinary.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
He was stopped on 10th and wilamette, so right by the bus station and a block from the downtown police station. The whole getting a bunch of units for an interesting call is basically my point. Suspicion of DUI is boring. This was a wildly intoxicated, out of control driver in a major pedestrian area literally right outside of the downtown cop shop.

Also, sup fellow (current? former?) Eugeneian

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I got three cars once when I got stopped for having the state name on my license plate slightly obscured by a license plate frame. When they're bored cops will show up for ANYTHING.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Greg Frey is back at Michigan coaching OT/TEs

Drevno will coach G/C and focus more on the run game planning with Hamilton and Harbaugh.

Jay Harbaugh will coach RBs.

Greg Frey is a really good hire and one that was desperately needed.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/EMCCathletics/status/823981507970736129

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

SeaborneClink posted:

If you think 4-6 cars responding to an interesting call is 'out of the ordinary' then I don't know what to tell you.

I've had 2 K-9 units + 6 cars show up to m house for a call I put in at 2 am to the non-emergency line, because someone was drunkenly pounding on my door.

Two cars for any DUII stop is required by law, you're bound to have at least 1 more show up because they were 'around'.

If the stop was on the north side of Beltline then I consider that response completely ordinary.

Must be nice to live in some podunk place where the police aren't constantly at capacity and needing a unit in an emergency has 30 minute wait time

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

There is basically a constant presence of a couple of police cars at the major intersection down the block. I can never tell wtf they're doing, and there's not even a donut shop nearby. When they figured out who they'd pulled over, they probably got half the on duty cars to come by and gawk.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

A bit late here, but RC is better than Coke anyhow. Imma hang up and listen over in the offseason thread

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Komet posted:

A bit late here, but RC is better than Coke anyhow. Imma hang up and listen over in the offseason thread

Nah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Colorado's safeties coach has resigned after his ex-girlfriend accused him of abusing her for over a year. There's some pretty sick poo poo in the details.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Komet posted:

RC is trash

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Maine Root is the best anyway.

Except for IBC on tap. IBC on tap is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fickell's contract details:

FB Scoops posted:

Luke Fickell will make an average annual salary of $2.2 million over the course of his 6-year deal, according to Fox 19. Fickell will make $1.9 million his first season, a figure that will increase to $2.4 million in the final three years of his deal and has the opportunity to earn $250k for a New Years Day Bowl Appearance, $75k for a bowl appearance, $25k for a bowl win, and $10k for an 8 win season, and an additional $10k for each win after that capping at 12 wins equal to $50k. Last years assistant coaches salary pool was set at $2.14 million, and Fickells deal calls for a salary pool of $2.5 million. Fickells buyout by the university if he were terminated before December 1, 2017 would be $11 million, dropping to $9.1 million if before the same date in 2018, $7.1 million by 2019, $4.8 million by 2020, $2.4 million by 2021, $1.2 million by 2022, and drops to $0 after December 1, 2022. If Fickell leaves for another program, he would owe $3.5 million if he left before December 21, 2017, with that figure dropping $500k each year that follows until December 31, 2022 when hed owe $750k and then $0 after December 31, 2022

• Locked thread