Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Duckbag posted:

Chili without beans is weird to me though, where is that common?

It is here in Texas. My family is from up north, so we've always put beans in chili. Down here, everyone tries to pass off greasy meat chunk soup as chili and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That kind of chili works well as a condiment.

Also http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
In Texas, our Chi'Li is a hearty and spicy meaty dish, as befitting a warrior preparing his path to Sto'Vo'Kor. If you want bland plant nodules with your meal, have some women prepare it in a separate bowl so that it will not sapp the vigor of those about to achieve glory through conquest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Duckbag posted:

I know Hasperat is literally just those tortilla wraps people serve as finger food at parties (at least that's what the prop was), but the mention of brine and the existence of "hasperat souffle" makes me picture it as one of those simple but challenging regional dishes that people associate with good home cooking. The whole conversation Ro has where the guy complains that no one makes it as spicy as the stuff he grew up with made me think of chili, or kimchi, or similar food where every family has their own special recipe and the store bought/replicated stuff just isn't the same. I always pictured Hasperat as being slightly fermented flatbread with a tangy flavor like sourdough or injera and plenty of spice.

I'd have to assume based on context that the hasperat is not the tortillas but the filling (like the hummus mentioned above), and the tortilla is just the traditional delivery mechanism. Presumably you could serve hasperat over chips or on a bun or even on top of *gasp* meat.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That kind of chili works well as a condiment.

Also http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Chili_con_carne

A Memory-Alpha entry for chili con carne. Because of course there is. Now I kind of want MA to have entries for everything, like Wikipedia, just from a Star Trek perspective for no reason.

*Sees that this has already happened*

*Fills pockets with stones*

*Walks into a lake*

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

In Texas, our Chi'Li is a hearty and spicy meaty dish, as befitting a warrior preparing his path to Sto'Vo'Kor. If you want bland plant nodules with your meal, have some women prepare it in a separate bowl so that it will not sapp the vigor of those about to achieve glory through conquest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My mothers chili was Texas style with beans. Hail Satan.

Railing Kill posted:

*Sees that this has already happened

At some point Alpha became less of a "canon and canon only" wiki and more a "well it's not non-canon! :words:" Someone compared it to Wookiepedia at some point and yeah, pretty much.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 22, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

A Memory-Alpha entry for chili con carne. Because of course there is. Now I kind of want MA to have entries for everything, like Wikipedia, just from a Star Trek perspective for no reason.

Here's Wookiepedia on breasts:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I've come across chili without beans in the Midwest. There are people out there who insist chili is made without beans, and adding beans makes it chili WITH beans, which certainly won't beat my prized chili recipe of drowning ground mystery meat in sugary bbq sauce and a dash of cayenne pepper that sure is spicy for a white person! They also like to serve "Mexican food" with this beanless chili on it, which I can only assume is a translation error.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

(that's his best friend, Sir Ian McKellan holding the sign)

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

The_Doctor posted:

I love this.

I made a sign in Klingon for the march yesterday. It ended up on that Star Trek podcast guy's twitter somehow too (although blurry):
https://twitter.com/jhoffman/status/823061194596487170
Also he didn't quite get the translation right but close enough.
"Trump Mok'Ta vor, kash a'VEH" (Trump you are an enemy of my house).

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Apple Jax posted:

I love this.

I made a sign in Klingon for the march yesterday. It ended up on that Star Trek podcast guy's twitter somehow too (although blurry):

Is it wise for such a smaller house to challenge the most powerful in the Empire?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

Is it wise for such a smaller house to challenge the most powerful in the Empire?

Just need to cut off its backing from the Romulans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What do the TOS food cubes taste like?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Red, green, and beige fruit loop cubes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rice crispy treats is another possible answer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Soylent Green, Yellow and Redshirt.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Powered Descent posted:

gently caress, that looks good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Red is meat, green is vegetable, yellow is potato or maybe dessert.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

Looks like that Rubik's Cube got away from you, dude.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

It's amusing to me that the engineering night shift is considered so lovely and terrible that whatever loser gets stuck with it is allowed to eat and chat with their buds over the intercom.

If I remember right even Spock was all "drat Jim, dude just got the hell out of that post, you're really busting poor Riley's nuts here"

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Riley is probably my favorite worthless crewman in all of TOS. The fidgety dude form Corbomite Maneuver and the world's worst psychiatrist from Dagger of the Mind are also strong contenders, but nothing beats the sheer gusto with which Riley takes to being space drunk. Also his singing.

I'd count the third security officer to get vaporized by Nomad as being most incompetent (because seriously, how do you not see that coming at that point?), but, eh, it's not like redshirts are really people.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seeing that screencap reminds me of how funny it is they put spray bottles everywhere in TOS, because I guess spray bottles looked super futuristic to 60's eyes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
There's a little side puzzle in the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game to figure out how to kill as many redshirts as possible.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

"It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not."

Rock on, Gandalf. :allears:

Apple Jax posted:

I love this.

Nicely done! Translation is as much about culture as it is about being literal. That is how a Klingon would put it, I'd think. the House of Trump is without honor.

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo give me Duras at this point.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Evek posted:

There's a little side puzzle in the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game to figure out how to kill as many redshirts as possible.

If/when I do an lp of that, I want to show off all the ways red shirts can die and keep a running tally.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

Nicely done! Translation is as much about culture as it is about being literal. That is how a Klingon would put it, I'd think. the House of Trump is without honor.

Nah, they'd love his guile and cunning, but hate Clinton for trying to win with fundraising.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Apple Jax posted:

I love this.

Glory to you, and your hoooouuussseee...

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Sash! posted:

Nah, they'd love his guile and cunning, but hate Clinton for trying to win with fundraising.

With all the Newspeak coming from Trump's campaign and administration, I see him more like a Cardassian: he's from old money, cheated his way into power, and maintains an Orwellian death-grip on truth in order to maintain his crypto-fascist regime.

He's also a reality TV star, like the Cardassians.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Railing Kill posted:

With all the Newspeak coming from Trump's campaign and administration, I see him more like a Cardassian: he's from old money, cheated his way into power, and maintains an Orwellian death-grip on truth in order to maintain his crypto-fascist regime.

It's not just you

https://twitter.com/realrealdukat/status/823176326253162498

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mateo360 posted:

If/when I do an lp of that, I want to show off all the ways red shirts can die and keep a running tally.

The best part was there would be multiple ways to kill the redshirt in each episode. I can think of, like, three in the first one alone off the top of my head.

And one of them was incredibly sadistic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always wondered what the food situation on the TOS Enterprise was. All I can think of is Trouble with Tribbles where Kirk uses the food processor to get his chicken sandwich and coffee (with extra tribble), but ST6 shows an actual kitchen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

I always wondered what the food situation on the TOS Enterprise was. All I can think of is Trouble with Tribbles where Kirk uses the food processor to get his chicken sandwich and coffee (with extra tribble), but ST6 shows an actual kitchen.

It wasn't consistent. There's a cook that calls up to the bridge in Charlie X, but by the time David Gerrold was working on The Trouble With Tribbles he was told by Gene Coon that there was no cook on the ship.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

Gowron did all that too!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It wasn't consistent. There's a cook that calls up to the bridge in Charlie X, but by the time David Gerrold was working on The Trouble With Tribbles he was told by Gene Coon that there was no cook on the ship.

Wasn't the cook voiced by Roddenberry? I think that wins.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wow, so in season three of Enterprise I'm guessing they all got together and said to themselves "you know, I don't think this intro theme is funny enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pwnstar posted:

Wow, so in season three of Enterprise I'm guessing they all got together and said to themselves "you know, I don't think this intro theme is funny enough."

Then they make the cold intro's even more dark and brutal so the theme seemed even more hilarious.