Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Better roles for Cassell, Muller-Stahl, and Watts.

e: compare to the first trio. Harris isn't great generally, but this is the first time I can remember him having fun with a role instead of phoning it in. Hurt has a long resume, but he's gloriously subdued & menacing here. If you're interested in some follow-up, he plays a similar character in Amazon Prime's Goliath (I fuckin loved Goliath. Guilty pleasure) Bello has made her career off playing these types of characters, but I think this and The Cooler are her crowning achievements. She's also in Goliath :haw:

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
FYI, The Shining is on Netflix

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some good stuff added to Prime recently:

Bruce Lee - The Dragon Lives. Documentary about Bruce Lee. Good stuff.

Cheerleaders - An American Myth. Doc about how awful competitive cheerleading is.

Gangs of New York - If you never watched this before, get right the gently caress on it. One of my fave Scorsese flicks.

Jesus' Son - I can't honestly remember much about this movie except that it's really good, and it's about kids and drugs.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Has anyone not seen Gangs of New York at this point?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I have not.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:same:

I assume it's a good movie. Which service is it on?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Gangs of New York is an insane bizarre movie. I've always seen it as Marty attempting to make a political cartoon movie.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Gangs of New York is on Amazon Prime and you fuckers need to watch that poo poo post haste. Daniel Day Lewis firing on all cylinders is such a joy to watch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I haven't either. Not set in a period of time I'm interested in.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

It might have been mentioned, but Chopping Mall is on Prime if you need some pure strain 80s schlock.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The_Rob posted:

Gangs of New York is an insane bizarre movie. I've always seen it as Marty attempting to make a political cartoon movie.
It's a fairly watered down version of the actual history. With some romance thrown in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Retard Tranny posted:

I haven't either. Not set in a period of time I'm interested in.

I wouldn't let that deter you, the film is anachronistic as gently caress.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

Has anyone not seen Gangs of New York at this point?

I just saw it for the first time a couple months ago. It's a fine movie, and I enjoyed it, but it cemented in my mind that Leonardo DiCaprio can't act. It seemed so painfully in obvious to me in this particular movie because everyone else owns their roles, and Leo is just kind of there in comparison.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

It might have been mentioned, but Chopping Mall is on Prime if you need some pure strain 80s schlock.

If that's your thing and somehow have not seen Chopping Mall before then you should probably go watch it right now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Great Dick Miller death in Chopping Mall.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Gangs of New York is a little frustrating because it's a good movie that has a great movie hidden somewhere inside of it. IMO if it were edited down by about a half-hour it could be considered top-tier Scorsese.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the heads up on Chopping Mall. It's glorious.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Also there are tons of Rifftrax on Prime. I watched the Samurai Cop one today and it was great. I mean, Samurai Cop by itself is one of the funniest films ever made so be sure to watch it without commentary first if you somehow havent seen it yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Chopping Mall is premium Charles Band lunacy. I have a Full Moon Streaming account and it's perfect for those days when I just want to destroy my brain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Also there are tons of Rifftrax on Prime. I watched the Samurai Cop one today and it was great. I mean, Samurai Cop by itself is one of the funniest films ever made so be sure to watch it without commentary first if you somehow havent seen it yet.

Guy From Harlem is one of the ones they have, and it is hands down the funniest Rifftrax I have ever seen (apart from their riffs on the Twilight films, of course).

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Gangs of New York is on Amazon Prime and you fuckers need to watch that poo poo post haste. Daniel Day Lewis firing on all cylinders is such a joy to watch.

it truly is.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just saw it for the first time a couple months ago. It's a fine movie, and I enjoyed it, but it cemented in my mind that Leonardo DiCaprio can't act. It seemed so painfully in obvious to me in this particular movie because everyone else owns their roles, and Leo is just kind of there in comparison.

Oh it's all Daniel Day Lewis my friend. He's the reason to watch that movie.

Human Tornada posted:

Gangs of New York is a little frustrating because it's a good movie that has a great movie hidden somewhere inside of it. IMO if it were edited down by about a half-hour it could be considered top-tier Scorsese.

This was pretty much my only problem with it. A little bit of editing could have made it so much better.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Human Tornada posted:

Oddly, despite being like a thousand hours long, the final act feels rushed. Still, some top-tier DDLewis makes it definitely worth watching.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just finished watching "Last Knights," although Netflix listed it as two stars, I found it to be an enjoyable no-magic fantasy film.

It's not a great film by any means, but it looks fantastic, and there's some great costuming and sets. Plus, it was cool to see a movie about knights fighting other with swords.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a National Lampoon documentary up now, Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead, and it's deffo worth your time for a window into the wackadoo landscape of the 60s and 70s.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oddly, despite being like a thousand hours long, the final act feels rushed. Still, some top-tier DDLewis makes it definitely worth watching.

Way too much time wasted on Cameron Diaz arc. There's a whole flavor change when she slides into the film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm actually rewatching it right now and I don't think Cameron Díaz is all that bad, although Leo is and so is the dude who plays his friend.

As much as I do really enjoy both movies, the problem with both this and The Departed is they don't sell at all why the violent unstable mob boss would develop such a fondness and trust for Leo's character.

Edit: I guess Gangs does a slightly better job with it by banking on the idea that Leo's dad is the one person Bill the Butcher respected and Leo reminds him of him, but Leo is still pretty charmless in the role

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 23, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Any Die Hard On A _____ movies but starring a cool lady? Everly with Selma Hayek was gross.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 23, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Die Hard On A _____ movies but starring a cool lady? Everly with Selma Hayek was gross.

Long Kiss Goodnight is the only "die hard, but lady protagonist"-like movie I can think of, and it's a big stretch that mostly relies on "Christmas" and "terrorists."

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Flightplan with Jodi Foster is kind of Die Hard on a Plane, I guess?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Long Kiss Goodnight is the only "die hard, but lady protagonist"-like movie I can think of, and it's a big stretch that mostly relies on "Christmas" and "terrorists."

There's Speed 2: Cruise Control, but I don't recommend it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Man I love that movie. Some of the greatest Sam Jackson quotes ever.

Geena Davis - You thinking what I'm thinking?

Sam - I hope not, I'm thinking about how much my balls hurt!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm actually rewatching it right now and I don't think Cameron Díaz is all that bad, although Leo is and so is the dude who plays his friend.

As much as I do really enjoy both movies, the problem with both this and The Departed is they don't sell at all why the violent unstable mob boss would develop such a fondness and trust for Leo's character.

Edit: I guess Gangs does a slightly better job with it by banking on the idea that Leo's dad is the one person Bill the Butcher respected and Leo reminds him of him, but Leo is still pretty charmless in the role

It's just bizarre. Leo's much more acclaimed yet he's never been as convincing as Liotta in Goodfellas. In Gangs he's just such a little gently caress.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's just bizarre. Leo's much more acclaimed yet he's never been as convincing as Liotta in Goodfellas. In Gangs he's just such a little gently caress.

Gangs is definitely his worst performance for Scorsese, I do think he's genuinely good in The Aviator and Wolf of Wall Street and he has his moments in The Departed. But yeah, he's definitely not given a performance as good as Liotta in Goodfellas. Or really anyone else in Goodfellas for that matter.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

He was miscast in Gangs, that's for sure. I think DiCaprio's best performances were in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Catch Me if You Can, The Revenant and Django Unchained. Here's the best scene he was ever in, when he hosed up his hand, kept in character, funneled his pain into anger, and improvised magnificently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifh6xJQyufc

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 23, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah you know what, I forgot about Django Unchained but that's probably his best performance. Between him, Jackson and Waltz, that movie had a real murderer's row of supporting actor performances.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the scripts are mostly to blame for Leo's mediocrity in The Departed and especially Gangs of New York. They both are very thin as far as establishing him as a fully formed character, especially compared to his more character focused Scorsese films like Wolf of Wall Street or The Aviator.

The villains are given much more room to breath in both The Departed and Gangs of New York than any of the protagonists, and in both cases they're played by acting legends. Really I think its more of a credit to DiCaprio as an actor more than a criticism, because he could have easily shied away from playing second fiddle to the likes of DDL and Jack Nicholson.

His performance in Blood Diamond seems to have been almost completely forgotten as well, and he carries that entire movie on his shoulders.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He is tuh-huh-herrible in Blood Diamond. Again, to compare him to Jonah Hill in a very similar movie - War Dogs - Jonah blows him the gently caress away.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

He is tuh-huh-herrible in Blood Diamond. Again, to compare him to Jonah Hill in a very similar movie - War Dogs - Jonah blows him the gently caress away.

It certainly wouldn't belong in his top-5 performances, but I think to say he was terrible is a major exaggeration. What was wrong with it? The accent was fine.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Filthy Hans posted:

He was miscast in Gangs, that's for sure. I think DiCaprio's best performances were in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Catch Me if You Can, The Revenant and Django Unchained. Here's the best scene he was ever in, when he hosed up his hand, kept in character, funneled his pain into anger, and improvised magnificently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifh6xJQyufc

Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life and Basketball Diaries for me. The Beach and Romeo + Juliet were sorta the end of his effectiveness as an actor for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DiCaprio is someone who I acknowledge isn't the world's best actor yet I love watching him in everything he's in.