Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I expect that there is a large black market for fish oil and fish products that was made before a certain date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Oasx posted:

I expect that there is a large black market for fish oil and fish products that was made before a certain date.

Doesn't it kill you in over 99% of the cases? :confused:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No, the fish oil doesn't have the bad alien metal/tech in it, it's not water soluble and therefore is safe. The alien metal/tech is just laying in a pile where it was dropped into the ocean.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the Terrigen crystals made by Jiaying's group were impure because they were contaminated with traces of the Diviner metal, so they'd cocoon normal humans and kill them in the process because the Diviners kill non-Inhumans. When they got dumped into the sea the impurities were separated so the fish oil pills only affect latent Inhumans and have no effect on regular people.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Huh, must have missed that. Thanks!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

That said, they did smartly introduce reasons why people might not be willing to mass consume fish oil pills to try and become inhuman. Even if it can't kill them, they might still end up like Lash, or with any number of irreversible physical changes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I desperately want to see an in-universe documentary (do it like that Farscape episode with the talking heads) about "Terragenesis and You" just because I love it when shows treat nonsense sci-fi babble with unnecessary gravitas.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the gamble of becoming an inhuman is iffy. Daisy was really hosed up until her mom taught her how to control it. Raina got suicidal over her physical changes. Gordon went blind and became a "freak" that would have been an issue if he had to live in any community besides an inhuman one. Lash's personality completely changed and he turned into a monster/murderer. That melty guy trashed everyone and he the cops trying to gun him down. Shits traumatic even if you don't get kind of ugly.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the Terrigen crystals made by Jiaying's group were impure because they were contaminated with traces of the Diviner metal, so they'd cocoon normal humans and kill them in the process because the Diviners kill non-Inhumans. When they got dumped into the sea the impurities were separated so the fish oil pills only affect latent Inhumans and have no effect on regular people.

Does make you wonder how dumb Jiaying's group must have been when they were talking about how no matter what they tried they couldn't completely remove the metal impurities, when the answer is "stick it in water".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

Does make you wonder how dumb Jiaying's group must have been when they were talking about how no matter what they tried they couldn't completely remove the metal impurities, when the answer is "stick it in water".

Yeah, though they were also isolationists, and led by dickbags. It's entirely possible they knew but didn't care -- or didn't know how to separate the terrigen back out of the water at a suitable level of potency.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, though they were also isolationists, and led by dickbags. It's entirely possible they knew but didn't care -- or didn't know how to separate the terrigen back out of the water at a suitable level of potency.

Given how events played out, I'm going to go with the idea Jiaying probably thought it was a nice bonus that it killed normal humans. She was pretty crazy, and you know it's bad when Mr. Hyde is the reasonable one in the relationship.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

boxen posted:

The poor quinjet pilot is all Washed up.

Not going to lie, I was thinking it too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a problem that didn't need a solution from her perspective. She was a deranged madwoman looking to make her people the master race. The fact that the means to create her people also happened to commit genocide on the "enemy" is a convenient bonus.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Weren't they also complaining that there were so few crystals left? I bet that they didn't know because they would have diluted a few of them to ensure they had enough to turn everyone forever.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Medullah posted:

I thought for sure they were headed a different direction when they said "We needed an Inhuman director, and we couldn't find one!". Thought we'd get the Mace Heroic Sacrifice™ and they'd move to make Daisy the new director.
The key is that the requirement was only for a powered person, it's presumably Mace who chose to work the Inhuman angle.

Oasx posted:

I though the end was a little weird, Mace is no less capable of leading Shield than he was before they thought he was inhuman, or before they learned that he was getting his powers from a serum.
Coulson was being pretty vindictive against someone who did nothing wrong, other than not telling people about a top secret project.
Besides the nondisclosure of this endangering the team as STAC Goat described, Talbot called Mace "a very well-vetted candidate" without specifying whether he meant 'already otherwise qualified' or 'only one who didn't suffer visible side effects from the serum', and Mace admitting that he was under orders to lie further undermined his own authority by the possibility that those orders came from someone outside of a S.H.I.E.L.D. Director's formal chain of command.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question: whose was the head kept on ice during the interrogation scene? Didn't look like Aida to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

double nine posted:

Question: whose was the head kept on ice during the interrogation scene? Didn't look like Aida to me.

It was Aida. Simmons doesn't keep a closet full of heads around.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the gamble of becoming an inhuman is iffy.

It really is a good thing, because every modern show about werewolves or vampires inevitably devolves into "why don't they turn character x into a vampire? Why don't they save character y by turning them into a vampire? Why doesn't character y want to be a vampire?" because there are next to no downsides or potential issues in the transition or being whatever superpowered creature the show is about.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

It was Aida. Simmons doesn't keep a closet full of heads around.

That we know about at least.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm all for the weapons tying back to Justin Hammer. The MCU needs more Sam Rockwell.

Everything needs more Sam Rockwell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sticklefifer posted:

I'm all for the weapons tying back to Justin Hammer. The MCU needs more Sam Rockwell.

Everything needs more Sam Rockwell.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hugo Weaving talked about having a multi-film contract with Marvel for Red Skull but I'm amazed they couldn't work out a deal with some of their better villains like Rockwell. I'd love to see more of him in the movies and it is too bad that the film he is in just kinda sucks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Arcanen posted:

It really is a good thing, because every modern show about werewolves or vampires inevitably devolves into "why don't they turn character x into a vampire? Why don't they save character y by turning them into a vampire? Why doesn't character y want to be a vampire?" because there are next to no downsides or potential issues in the transition or being whatever superpowered creature the show is about.

It feels completely opposite to me, pretty much every show or movie about superpowers features the young attractive hero gain powers, only to spend all their time whining that they have turned into a "freak". Based on what we have seen, you are much more likely to gain a cool superpower, than turn into Lash.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They need that moment from X-men where a kid gains the superpower to irradiate everything around him so he accidentally kills a town or whatever and Wolverine has to find him and put him down :stare:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I desperately want to see an in-universe documentary (do it like that Farscape episode with the talking heads) about "Terragenesis and You" just because I love it when shows treat nonsense sci-fi babble with unnecessary gravitas.

I would love this. If the next season is indeed the final season (it's increasingly looking like we'll get a thirteen episode set or nothing at all) then they should put time aside to do that. Or a super silly comedy episode, like the Dollhouse one where they all get drugged.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It was a good episode, and I like the reveal that the Mace was not really inhuman. I hope they keep him around and involved in the story, finding ways to make his character more relevant (and less worthless because maybe this episode went a bit too far in that respect to emphasize on the twist).

OB_Juan posted:

I thought it could be a reference, but it seems like they'd drop some more before they revealed anything like that. "The hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" is an actual line.

I am a little confused about how the dialogue worked in that scene. The sniper says the line "The hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" and then adds "You are glass!" to Talbot. And Talbot comes back with "I am gonna get a hammer then".... What? Like that doesn't make sense in that metaphor.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

AbstractNapper posted:

I am a little confused about how the dialogue worked in that scene. The sniper says the line "The hammer shatters glass but hardens steel" and then adds "You are glass!" to Talbot. And Talbot comes back with "I am gonna get a hammer then".... What? Like that doesn't make sense in that metaphor.

And so, Talbot has you right where he wants you... :getin:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I would love this. If the next season is indeed the final season (it's increasingly looking like we'll get a thirteen episode set or nothing at all) then they should put time aside to do that. Or a super silly comedy episode, like the Dollhouse one where they all get drugged.

What leads you to say "increasingly likely to be a thirteen episode set or nothing at all?"

Because people have been saying stuff about this show since the beginning, you know?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What leads you to say "increasingly likely to be a thirteen episode set or nothing at all?"

Because people have been saying stuff about this show since the beginning, you know?

I'm guessing you've not seen the ratings? It lost a quarter of its audience between the most recent episode and the first one back from before the break, and that's on top of the entire season averaging downwards on the ratings already. It's currently sitting at just above 2 million viewers. It started the season with 3.5.

The show will have reached 88 episodes by the end of the season, which is minimum syndication threshold, i.e. the point at which it gets money back from its investment. It's not necessarily in the network's interest to keep it going, but if it does, it'll only keep it going to 100 episodes, i.e. the previous syndication benchmark, at which point ABC will get a lot more money for its sale.

The only reason the show maybe won't end this season is the comparatively lovely state of ABC drama properties, (Quantico, Once Upon A TIme, ect. outside Shondaland they're rubbish, and even then, The Catch is underperforming), some absolutely terrible decisions regarding upcoming shows that look doomed to fail (A Romeo and Juliet sequel, and a wonky looking adaptation of Time After Time) and because of the general television boom that's currently happening (coupled with the associated superhero boom).

If it does get a renewal, it'll be for thirteen episodes -- Inhumans is going to be on for eight weeks, which will make up part of that space's programming block and keep something heroic on the airwaves, and then there's Infinity War in the new year, which could be used to suggest a natural finality to the show.

Look, I love this show, and I've never been particularly worried about its renewal before, but I am now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm guessing you've not seen the ratings? It lost a quarter of its audience between the most recent episode and the first one back from before the break, and that's on top of the entire season averaging downwards on the ratings already. It's currently sitting at just above 2 million viewers. It started the season with 3.5.

This is all good analysis, and woof that .6 demo last week was baaaad, but it leaves out the increasingly important DVR/streaming numbers. The winter finale, for instance, had a 113% increase in viewership, and the season as a whole has been strong there. The show's live ratings have dipped with the time slot move, but the DVR numbers haven't.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

A Romeo and Juliet sequel
jfc, another zombie show?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't the head of ABC basically say recently that AoS isn't going anywhere?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't know how it's aired in America but over here in my country it's annoying to have mid season breaks and it seems like the ghost rider story has gone nowhere. The show feels really fractured imo, and I can get why some people get tired of it and stop keeping up

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Channing Dunney, head of ABC's entertainment division:
Season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been creatively the strongest season we’ve had yet. The episodes just keep getting better and stronger. And that’s another one for us that we moved from 9 to 10 and yet even though the HUD levels are softer at 10, the live-same-day has remained the same and that’s another one of our shows which regularly goes up triple digits over the seven-day period, anywhere from 100 to 110 percent

Entertainment Weekly:
So you see a future for S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Dunney:
Absolutely. I’m very bullish on S.H.I.E.L.D. and we’re also really excited about our production with Marvel, ABC Studios, and IMAX, which we are working on for next fall as well.
From http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/10/abc-scandal-free-fall-lineup-once-upon-time/

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, ratings-wise it's not great, but it's also one of the best of ABC's hour-long scripted shows in a real weak time slot. I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped to a 13 episode order, but I think the 10-13 episode seasons are better on the whole anyway.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

Yeah, ratings-wise it's not great, but it's also one of the best of ABC's hour-long scripted shows in a real weak time slot. I wouldn't be surprised if they swapped to a 13 episode order, but I think the 10-13 episode seasons are better on the whole anyway.

Everything else they've put in that timeslot recently has done worse. Granted, this included the terrible biblical Game of Thrones knock off about David. At what point does ABC say, 'Well, it's good enough,' instead of constantly trotting out shows that fail in a couple of weeks?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PunkBoy posted:

Channing Dunney, head of ABC's entertainment division:
Season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been creatively the strongest season we’ve had yet. The episodes just keep getting better and stronger. And that’s another one for us that we moved from 9 to 10 and yet even though the HUD levels are softer at 10, the live-same-day has remained the same and that’s another one of our shows which regularly goes up triple digits over the seven-day period, anywhere from 100 to 110 percent

Entertainment Weekly:
So you see a future for S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Dunney:
Absolutely. I’m very bullish on S.H.I.E.L.D. and we’re also really excited about our production with Marvel, ABC Studios, and IMAX, which we are working on for next fall as well.
From http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/10/abc-scandal-free-fall-lineup-once-upon-time/

I've read this.

Of corse we all know that all management are lying liars that tell lies, but, I don't really see this show being cancelled any time soon.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The whole not-Shangri-la plotline had a bunch of inconsistencies. One of the characters specifically has a line saying they've tried and couldn't figure out how to separate the death metal (:black101:) from the crystals. They also constantly complain about how there's not enough crystals. Apparently both of these problems can be solved by dropping them in water.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the gamble of becoming an inhuman is iffy. Daisy was really hosed up until her mom taught her how to control it. Raina got suicidal over her physical changes. Gordon went blind and became a "freak" that would have been an issue if he had to live in any community besides an inhuman one. Lash's personality completely changed and he turned into a monster/murderer. That melty guy trashed everyone and he the cops trying to gun him down. Shits traumatic even if you don't get kind of ugly.

And yet inhumans bristle at the idea that maybe living completely normal lives amongst everyone else might not be the best call.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

The whole not-Shangri-la plotline had a bunch of inconsistencies. One of the characters specifically has a line saying they've tried and couldn't figure out how to separate the death metal (:black101:) from the crystals. They also constantly complain about how there's not enough crystals. Apparently both of these problems can be solved by dropping them in water.

This confirms that their inhuman splinter group was a bunch of retards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dropping the crystals in SALT water. How you gonna get saltwater up in the mountains. (Besides the teleporting fella, OBVIOUSLY.)

• Locked thread