Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

What about one of these?
http://www.lg.com/us/tablets/lg-VK700-Verizon-g-pad-10.1-lte
I have one of these as well, do you know of any good stylus for this? Or should I ask in a different thread since it isn't an ipad?

I wouldn't wish that tablet on anyone. You may like one of the lower spec Surfaces. It's just running windows so you could use, like, onenote I guess, and they're pretty good.

The best, $1000 answer is get an iPad Pro and a Pencil. People say it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The dude literally has 50 USA dollars

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

The dude literally has 50 USA dollars

Then I'd go for a Paper Pencil and use the Paper app to draw with.

Or...paper and a pencil and gently caress trying to use an iPad. I tried a variety of sketching options prior to an iPad Pro + Pencil and nothing really worked how I wanted it to. The iPad Pro is just about perfect though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

Then I'd go for a Paper Pencil and use the Paper app to draw with.

Or...paper and a pencil and gently caress trying to use an iPad. I tried a variety of sketching options prior to an iPad Pro + Pencil and nothing really worked how I wanted it to. The iPad Pro is just about perfect though.
...yeah I just bought some fancy (to me) pencil and pen and have been using some drawing pads I've had for years, it's nice. I'll buy a Pro and Apple Pencil when they make an iPad mini one :colbert:

Is there an app on ipads that lets me use multiple layers and also import pictures into layers like in photoshop?
Uh did anyone answer that? Pretty sure most of major drawing/painting apps do that, like Pixelmator and Procreate off the top of my head, although I'm not sure on PS file compatibility/import/export if you want that too. I think they can work with them, it's just a matter of how the workflow process is when opening/importing and saving/exporting.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Procreate just recently added support for importing PSD files.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

skull mask mcgee posted:

Procreate just recently added support for importing PSD files.

Just to expand on this, I experimentally added Procreate to my work pipeline. Creating templates in PS and sending them to Procreate to work in then back to PS to tweak. Other than the sandboxing resulting in multiple copies of the file when importing to Procreate (which is fine as I version the hell out of files anyhow) the PSD import/export seems to be seamless.

Love it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Alright, thanks guys. Im just going to get an Adonit Jot stylus and be cheap for now. Also, what the hell are you recommending a surface tablet for? I said I have $50, not $5,000.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 20, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alright, thanks guys. Im just going to get an Adonit Jot stylus and be cheap for now. Also, what the hell are you recommending a surface tablet for? I said I have $50, not $5,000.

The Jot's alright. I got one with their original Kickstarter. You won't have any palm rejection, but it does make a pretty nice line and the clear disc resolves the problem thick, spongey styluses have.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Is there a way to change the default "open in..." app when you download a file in Safari?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
My work got a load of iPad 4 (Wifi/cell), 32 GB they want to unload for very cheap (for the equivalent of $80 each).

Would that be a good buy if I'm planning to only use it for Netflix, some reading on Kindle, some light surfing and perhaps editing the occasional Word document?

Right now I'm using a ASUS Chromebook Flip for the same.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

When the hell will full Photoshop come to the iPad? I literally can do almost everything I need on a pro... but not that. Let me get rid of needing a laptop already!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Kidney Stone posted:

My work got a load of iPad 4 (Wifi/cell), 32 GB they want to unload for very cheap (for the equivalent of $80 each).

Would that be a good buy if I'm planning to only use it for Netflix, some reading on Kindle, some light surfing and perhaps editing the occasional Word document?

Right now I'm using a ASUS Chromebook Flip for the same.

Yes, ~$80 for an iPad 4 is an awesome deal. The iPad 1, as redundant as it is today, regularly sells for $100+ on CL and eBay.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

LionArcher posted:

When the hell will full Photoshop come to the iPad? I literally can do almost everything I need on a pro... but not that. Let me get rid of needing a laptop already!

Same but replace Photoshop with Lightroom. I have the feeling they will never do it, probably because there is some shady dark room meeting where apple made adobe not make full versions of their apps because it would eat into their laptop sales. That is what I like to think at least.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Hamburlgar posted:

Yes, ~$80 for an iPad 4 is an awesome deal. The iPad 1, as redundant as it is today, regularly sells for $100+ on CL and eBay.

Great! I now know what I'll do in my lunch break ;)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Same but replace Photoshop with Lightroom. I have the feeling they will never do it, probably because there is some shady dark room meeting where apple made adobe not make full versions of their apps because it would eat into their laptop sales. That is what I like to think at least.

Apple probably made them hold off on it until a particularly underwhelming keynote so they'll have something to get people excited about.

So maybe while they're announcing that exciting and innovative iPad Pro that's 1 inch bigger than the last one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

rio posted:

I said Photoshop but I totally meant both apps and agreed. Dammit.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Hamburlgar posted:

Well, just found out why my work is selling the old iPad 4's cheap, it seems that we all are getting brand new iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB - why that is, I don't really no (or care about)?

Anyways, I'm still getting an iPad 4 for the wife.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iPad Pros are a lot faster (and better in every metric besides that too), and I guess Pencil support if they have a use case in mind.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The iPad Pencil is awesome, but I'm noticing mine is not charging as fast as it used to. I may have to get one of those Lightning adapters because keeping this thing hanging off my tablet like the ultimate in awkward dongles was okay when it charged completely in 20 minutes but sucks rear end when it takes closer to a hour.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't just put in a Lightning port rather than a connector.

Looking forward to Pencil 2.0 that solves all 1.0's problems.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

The iPad Pencil is awesome, but I'm noticing mine is not charging as fast as it used to. I may have to get one of those Lightning adapters because keeping this thing hanging off my tablet like the ultimate in awkward dongles was okay when it charged completely in 20 minutes but sucks rear end when it takes closer to a hour.

For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't just put in a Lightning port rather than a connector.

Looking forward to Pencil 2.0 that solves all 1.0's problems.

I can't figure out why they didn't make it magnetic and allow it to use the Smart Connector on the side to charge.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

flosofl posted:

I can't figure out why they didn't make it magnetic and allow it to use the Smart Connector on the side to charge.

Because that's where cases covers connect making it even more awkward to charge when using than sticking out 6 inches from the side.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

Because that's where cases covers connect making it even more awkward to charge when using than sticking out 6 inches from the side.

They could have easily made one corner of the keyboard case slightly thicker to accommodate a Lightning connector and sold that as an easy way to charge the Pencil (so the Pencil laid flat on a surface with the keyboard). Or literally anything other than having a six inch stylus sticking out the middle of your tablet.

Hopefully this is just a Rev A compromise (like the bomb bay door on the original MacBook Air).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

They could have easily made one corner of the keyboard case slightly thicker to accommodate a Lightning connector and sold that as an easy way to charge the Pencil (so the Pencil laid flat on a surface with the keyboard). Or literally anything other than having a six inch stylus sticking out the middle of your tablet.

Hopefully this is just a Rev A compromise (like the bomb bay door on the original MacBook Air).

I'm not trying to argue for what they did, because it's absurd, but I don't think that's as trivial as it sounds. With how the Pencil is, the keyboard would have to be something like twice as thick to actually let it sit flat on a surface, since the plug sits in the middle of the Pencil's width.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

I was talking about putting smart connector pins on the barrel of the pencil so it lies flat along the edge of the iPad. And I don't see why they couldn't use pass through connectors on the part of the hinge the covers the pins on covers.

But whatever, it's a moot point since it didn't happen that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Pro registers touches in the wrong locations sometimes.

There's nothing I can do to reset that myself, right? I have to take it to an Apple store?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Krispy Kareem posted:

Didn't you get the little plastic reverser in the box?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

Didn't you get the little plastic reverser in the box?

No, I didn't. Did they offer that on all Pencils or is that a recent thing?

I've had my iPad Pro + Pencil for a year and this is the first time I've ever heard of it. It is possible I never noticed it and will need to see if I still have my box.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, they've always included it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

No, I didn't. Did they offer that on all Pencils or is that a recent thing?

I've had my iPad Pro + Pencil for a year and this is the first time I've ever heard of it. It is possible I never noticed it and will need to see if I still have my box.

It's included in the same little cardboard package the spare nib is in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
WELL!

I'm pretty sure I still have my box. Guess it's digging around for extra parts I go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

WELL!

I'm pretty sure I still have my box. Guess it's digging around for extra parts I go.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Kareem posted:

I never used an mba until I think the 2012 model. I had to google what you meant by the bomb bay door and holy christ what a stupid design

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm officially (deep into) my thirties...

I have an iPad Pro and Pencil... what's a nice coloring book app?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

dexter6 posted:

I'm officially (deep into) my thirties...

I have an iPad Pro and Pencil... what's a nice coloring book app?

I might be a little dated but just after the pencil hit, ProCreate was the entire poo poo.so I guess there's a suggestion for you and also a challenge to anyone to tell me what's newer, better, and why?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just yesterday purchased the Humble Bundle Image Comics bundle for some good comics. How easily can the iPad handle some of these files? The Saga Book 1 is a >1GB PDF file (18 issues of the comic), so I figure the iPads might chock one a file that size.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW the CBZ file they offer should be much smaller for similar quality (and better performance), but if you insist on using the PDF, it might be a bit slow. You'll have to get a CBZ reader, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I might be a little dated but just after the pencil hit, ProCreate was the entire poo poo.so I guess there's a suggestion for you and also a challenge to anyone to tell me what's newer, better, and why?

Are you talking about the drawing program Procreate? That's the best drawing app for the iPad, but I think he's asking about coloring book apps.

Pigment is pretty good. The app comes with a bunch of coloring pages and then you can subscribe for more. But if you download the pages I don't think you lose them when you cancel the subscription so it's not like you're locked into a monthly charge.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IUG posted:

I just yesterday purchased the Humble Bundle Image Comics bundle for some good comics. How easily can the iPad handle some of these files? The Saga Book 1 is a >1GB PDF file (18 issues of the comic), so I figure the iPads might chock one a file that size.

I use comic zeal. Never had any speed issues on as low as a mini 2, and it has a cool method of importing comics through your computer's browser over wifi.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW the CBZ file they offer should be much smaller for similar quality (and better performance), but if you insist on using the PDF, it might be a bit slow. You'll have to get a CBZ reader, though.

I was wondering (but too lazy to check) if the high quality PDFs were any better than the CBZ. I was just assuming since the file sizes were bigger = better! :v:

For example, here's the file sizes on the Saga book:
CBZ - 328 MB
EPUB - 655 MB
PDF - 87.5 MB
PDF (HQ) - 1.2 GB

Regular Nintendo posted:

I use comic zeal. Never had any speed issues on as low as a mini 2, and it has a cool method of importing comics through your computer's browser over wifi.

I'll have to check this out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you talking about the drawing program Procreate? That's the best drawing app for the iPad, but I think he's asking about coloring book apps.

Pigment is pretty good. The app comes with a bunch of coloring pages and then you can subscribe for more. But if you download the pages I don't think you lose them when you cancel the subscription so it's not like you're locked into a monthly charge.
I was, thanks, I'll try it out.