Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Nenonen posted:

Just wash your hands first, you don't want to leave cheetodust stains.

But I do, I do want that! let them be stained with the shame that stains me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Thing. Yes. *saves file, reaches for golf bag*

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Jedit posted:

A nice thought. Now look at who you elected president and tell me he's not a loving moron idiot clown. Tell me that the people who voted for him are not loving moron idiot clowns. I'll sleep better.

Hey, if he had got socked in the face on national television and ran off he might've lost some votes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Starving Wolf posted:

My grandfathers didn't live on rationed vodka and gruel made from dirty snow fighting in the great patriotic war for me to live in a world where punching Nazis is not okay. Always punch nazis always. Don't think about it, as soon as you think about whether a nazi getting punched is good or bad for the nazi or for you, you are already over-analyzing the situation. Punch the Nazis. Punch them for grandpop.

Too bad grandpop's kids -- my parents-- were discussing the other day about how "These protesters are completely out of control. Assaulting innocent people on the streets! I'm telling my Facebook friends to write to their congressmen and Trump to make dealing with these people a serious priority." "Yeah, soon we won't even be able to be safe in our own house!"

You may see a Nazi getting punch, but the 40%~ who voted Trump saw a crime that must not go unpunished.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Nenonen posted:

Just wash your hands first, you don't want to leave cheetodust stains.

If you make fun of people saying it's a-okay to punch a nazi, I'm going to take that as defense of literal nazis. Assault may be illegal and not right, but the exception are people like nazis, punching whom is the moral thing to do. I personally probably wouldn't assaut a nazi because I'm a wuss irl, but I sure as hell won't defend their right to not get punched on the internet. It's an inherently violent ideology and incredibly destructive if let into power, letting them talk and saying "oh, people will be smart enough not to vote for them" is how 1933 happened. You speak the language they understand by punching them, and showing that they are just cowards. Other nazis already berated Spencer for not retaliating and beating up the antifa that socked him.

I know your posting and I'm quite sure you're very far from a fascist but hell, I just have to say that they're a people that you shouldn't even jokingly defend.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Too bad grandpop's kids -- my parents-- were discussing the other day about how "These protesters are completely out of control. Assaulting innocent people on the streets! I'm telling my Facebook friends to write to their congressmen and Trump to make dealing with these people a serious priority." "Yeah, soon we won't even be able to be safe in our own house!"

You may see a Nazi getting punch, but the 40%~ who voted Trump saw a crime that must not go unpunished.

They also saw black protesters at Trump rallies get decked and thought it was awesome. Trump voters are completely disconnected from reality in a way that means everything they see or hear will only help fuel their delusion. Punching nazis makes nazis more afraid to go outside which is always good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Did you tell your parents they're Nazi sympathizers?

Let them know, let them know what they're defending when they say poo poo like that.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lemming posted:

They also saw black protesters at Trump rallies get decked and thought it was awesome. Trump voters are completely disconnected from reality in a way that means everything they see or hear will only help fuel their delusion. Punching nazis makes nazis more afraid to go outside which is always good.

And then they'll go out to vote in the midterms and 2020 and hand Trump and the Republicans a Constitutional Convention and second term on silver platter in addition to everything else. Making them more afraid will not change the political climate they've risen to power in.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

And then they'll go out to vote in the midterms and 2020 and hand Trump and the Republicans a Constitutional Convention and second term on silver platter in addition to everything else. Making them more afraid will not change the political climate they've risen to power in.

So talk to them, tell them why they shouldn't be afraid, tell them why they shouldn't support Nazis. That's a conversation worth having.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Not punching them will not change this, and it has the added downside of them not getting punched.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Punching Nazis is not going to help Republicans get elected again you imbecile. The work people are doing to change things also doesn't start and stop at punching Nazis.

Your pearl clutching doesn't help stop Trump, either. What are you doing to help if what everyone else is doing is so worthless?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemming posted:

Yeah, I've been trying to genuinely engage with my Trump-voting family, and the results have left me absolutely horrified. The sheer disconnect from reality, the willful ignorance, and the outright malice some of them have is almost unbelievable. These people have literally no defense for some of Trump's (occasionally literal) crimes beyond "but Hillary is worse!" and that's enough for them to dismiss Trump's sexual assault, Bannon being a Neo-Nazi, DeVos having no experience and donating money to groups that have fought against the rights of sexual assault survivors on campus, and other such atrocities.

Those aren't hypothetical examples, either; I've brought all those things up on different occasions, and each time, after shutting down attempts to claim that these things weren't real or were overblown, I got some story about how Hillary (or occasionally Obama) is worse, and therefore Trump has to answer for nothing and deserves 100% support. This has happened even after the election; that Hillary is not and will not ever be President does not change that she is some sort of bogeyman to these people and her mere existence justifies anything and everything Republicans may do, even if it goes against their previously stated values. Again, not a hypothetical; I've gotten defenses for things the person defending previously had nothing but scorn for, and even things that Hillary had done that they criticized her mercilessly for and used as examples of why she shouldn't be President (or should be in jail, etc.), and gotten responses that make it seem like they genuinely do not understand the contradiction there. It genuinely feels like I'm talking to someone who's been brainwashed or something sometimes, and it's honestly extremely worrying. And also depressing, given that these are my family members and all that.

Some people will not be convinced and in fact will actively refuse to change their minds. Taking how those people will perceive your actions into account when deciding the right thing to do is a waste of time.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Did you tell your parents they're Nazi sympathizers?

Let them know, let them know what they're defending when they say poo poo like that.

So talk to them, tell them why they shouldn't be afraid, tell them why they shouldn't support Nazis. That's a conversation worth having.

You posted this while I was writing the above, but, well, see above. I've gotten my family to acknowledge that Bannon and co. are outright, actual Neo-Nazis, and they legitimately do not care, or, in the case of the ones who still seem to have some amount of empathy left, still manage to rationalize things in some manner that lets them keep supporting Trump even when forced to face his support of actual Nazis or other terrible actions.

To some people, Nazis (or rape, etc.; being a sexual abuse survivor and being told by your own family that Trump's various indiscretions there are not dealbreakers is pretty loving awful) are more acceptable than opposing Trump. It's horrifying and almost unbelievable, but it's true. It also means that what those people think should be absolutely disregarded when it comes to doing the right thing, because they will not change their minds, ever.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 23, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My response was "Who the hell have you been talking to? That man was just voicing his very justifiable opinions, and I did not raise my son to support riots and assault, especially against people exercising freedom of speech."

The conversation ended with "Clearly, I have failed you, this is my fault."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My response was "Who the hell have you been talking to? That man was just voicing his very justifiable opinions, and I did not raise my son to support riots and assault, especially against people exercising freedom of speech."

The conversation ended with "Clearly, I have failed you, this is my fault."

Roland Jones posted:

You posted this while I was writing the above, but, well, see above. I've gotten my family to acknowledge that Bannon and co. are outright, actual Neo-Nazis, and they legitimately do not care, or, in the case of the ones who still seem to have some amount of empathy left, still manage to rationalize things in some manner that lets them keep supporting Trump even when forced to face his support of actual Nazis or other terrible actions.

To some people, Nazis (or rape, etc.; being a sexual abuse survivor and being told by your own family that Trump's various indiscretions there are not dealbreakers is pretty loving awful) are more acceptable than opposing Trump. It's horrifying and almost unbelievable, but it's true.

No, I believe it. That's the same kind of crap I've been hearing from the Trump supporters in my family. It's weird how they still won't shut up about how bad Hillary is. The election is over, she's gone, they've won, but they continue to act like she's this omnipotent force personally oppressing them.

Anyway, glad to hear you both made an effort to talk to your relations. If I'm stuck in the Hell of trying to reason with the irrational I want to make sure everyone else is there too.

The Copper Kaiser
Sep 6, 2010

I am a high-iq mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy that characterizes my species!
This thread needs more cartoons, punching nazis is more of a weekend thing anyways.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I support "gently caress you poopy" replacing "gently caress me daddy" in the Era of Trump.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

No, I believe it. That's the same kind of crap I've been hearing from the Trump supporters in my family. It's weird how they still won't shut up about how bad Hillary is. The election is over, she's gone, they've won, but they continue to act like she's this omnipotent force personally oppressing them.

My guess for why I and apparently you keep hearing this is, if she's not evil and horrible, then they hosed uuuup. Imagine waking up one morning and realizing you voted for Trump, loving Trump, and if the democratic candidate wasn't a complete monster then you certainly are.

And of course there's the fact that the republican is always the correct candidate. That means the worse the republican guy is, the worse the democrat must be. So if the GOP candidate is Trump, then the only logical conclusion is pizzagate, or if that sounds too insane, then the email thing must be the worst crime ever committed.

It's ridiculous if you lay it out like that, but the RWM will happily give the Trump voter rhetoric with which to paper over it, available 24/7.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Starving Wolf posted:

But I do, I do want that! let them be stained with the shame that stains me.

Wash them afterwards as well. You don't want to get nazi on them.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pants Donkey posted:

It's funny they used a TV action drama as justification for literal torture, but despite cinema's enduring tradition of punching our enemies the right is aghast over decking a neo-nazi.
It was Scalia that refrenced 24, wasn't it. If so, there's now little chance of the Indiana Jones setting a precendent for punching nazis. :( *

* Not really sad. RIP** Scalia
** The P is for piss.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemming posted:

They also saw black protesters at Trump rallies get decked and thought it was awesome. Trump voters are completely disconnected from reality in a way that means everything they see or hear will only help fuel their delusion.
Decked, hell. I've seen people watch videos of BLM protest lines being run through with a loving car and people nodding and going "good that's what they deserve". Hell, they'd literally go on to argue that it counts as self defense because when you're surrounded by a bunch of angry BLM protestors rioters, you could be dragged from your car and beaten to death! It happens!!
You can run over a protestor because I don't know, he's black, it's self defense, but you can't punch a loving Nazi. What a world.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

Decked, hell. I've seen people watch videos of BLM protest lines being run through with a loving car and people nodding and going "good that's what they deserve". Hell, they'd literally go on to argue that it counts as self defense because when you're surrounded by a bunch of angry BLM protestors rioters, you could be dragged from your car and beaten to death! It happens!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Reginald_Denny

Maybe not beaten to death, but dragged out of a vehicle and mauled? Yeah, it happened.

I'm not posting this as any sort of counter-argument but just to show that people have been dragged out of cars during major events like this.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I AM THE TOILET posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Reginald_Denny

Maybe not beaten to death, but dragged out of a vehicle and mauled? Yeah, it happened.
Yes, that is the example they always quote, too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Trogdos! posted:

If you make fun of people saying it's a-okay to punch a nazi, I'm going to take that as defense of literal nazis. Assault may be illegal and not right, but the exception are people like nazis, punching whom is the moral thing to do. I personally probably wouldn't assaut a nazi because I'm a wuss irl, but I sure as hell won't defend their right to not get punched on the internet. It's an inherently violent ideology and incredibly destructive if let into power, letting them talk and saying "oh, people will be smart enough not to vote for them" is how 1933 happened. You speak the language they understand by punching them, and showing that they are just cowards. Other nazis already berated Spencer for not retaliating and beating up the antifa that socked him.

I know your posting and I'm quite sure you're very far from a fascist but hell, I just have to say that they're a people that you shouldn't even jokingly defend.

I just can't take seriously the idea of nerds from an internet comedy forum to go out delivering two fisted justice to fascists, all I see here is manboys boasting how they're totally gonna kick rear end and my dad's stronger than your dad. Let me know when this thread murders a nazi and I will gladly revise my opinion.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wow, I didn't know that Nazi Germany waged war on Dr Seuss!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Look Who's Back is a good movie, that I recommend viewing.

The thesis of the movie is "Can It happen again?" and the movie answer "Yes".

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

There hasn't been much to feel good about lately, other than the Nazi getting punched in the face, so thank you for this.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

* There is no evidence that Churchill ever said this

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Tei posted:

It was wild watching the kebab merchant not grasp the irony of the situation

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Best take on that stupid slogan.

As for punching vs. not punching Nazis, the only real argument for not-punching is about not sinking to their level. They definitely deserve to be punched otherwise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Plan Z posted:

You're ignoring the context of situations like this. He was there "non-violently demonstrating" and was punched by someone for speaking his mind. Just do me a favor and ignore what a Nazi "deserves" in retribution for violence inherent in their system (which this one likely did not commit in the name of White Supremacy in his lifetime). This only serves to give him propaganda ammo and gives us nothing. Nobody knew who this guy was yesterday, and now there are people willing to fall over themselves defending him. If there was no punch, thousands less people would know his name and even less would be there to sympathize with him.

Yeah, those people defending him are fellow nazis and the kind of suburban neo-liberal who may as well be a nazi themselves

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tei posted:

The movie is absolute garbage and bombed with critics, but the book(that it is based on) is a pretty good satire of modern mass media and populism. The book was very fun to read a couple of years ago, but it's probably pretty depressing nowadays with the Trump election and everything. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jedit posted:

A nice thought. Now look at who you elected president and tell me he's not a loving moron idiot clown. Tell me that the people who voted for him are not loving moron idiot clowns. I'll sleep better.

I'm Canadian

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Trogdos! posted:

* There is no evidence that Churchill ever said this

"That's why I'm ahead of the curve and I'm just going to be a fascist NOW!" - Redpanels (probably)

Nenonen posted:

I just can't take seriously the idea of nerds from an internet comedy forum to go out delivering two fisted justice to fascists, all I see here is manboys boasting how they're totally gonna kick rear end and my dad's stronger than your dad. Let me know when this thread murders a nazi and I will gladly revise my opinion.

Oooh, I love this game. Who can appear to be the tougher and cooler goon?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm on a net neutrality kick lately, and I'm wondering how Garrison's going to react when Trump tries to dismantle it. He probably wont know enough to care or spin it, but I think Red Panels is gonna poo poo a brick.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm the toughest, coolest goon.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The movie is absolute garbage and bombed with critics, but the book(that it is based on) is a pretty good satire of modern mass media and populism. The book was very fun to read a couple of years ago, but it's probably pretty depressing nowadays with the Trump election and everything. :(

I have not read the book, but the movie was passable for me. The movie style is somewhat between fake documental and "direct to tv" drama. I found that mix charming, but I could see how it can be a turn-off for many people. The content is really the stuff that is hard to stomach so I imagine many people looking away from the screen because it deliver some tough punches: the people that live in your building, many of them would be happy to be part of a totalitarian fascist style government. That cool guy in the 3th, he would be happy to capture political dissidents, and give them to torturers. The girl in 2th would happily work has censor for the government. And so on. That we live in a democracy, that the average person real beliefs are not democratic.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Xander77 posted:

Are you having trouble processing what the image means?

I'm sure it's no deeper than the chibi versions, but with "...?!..." as the actual caption, it was too good to resist. Besides, if you showed this to someone unfamiliar with WWI-era national symbols, it would just look a piece of surrealist art.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/boynamedshark/status/822182529134432256

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Children, repent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The cardinal sin of being a sissy. Though stuff like that and the little children allusions makes me think this is a joke. What's ChristianInterviews.com?

• Locked thread