Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

How are the changes? I've been utterly swamped with work so I haven't gotten to get to it yet.
I'm only seeing this from Shallotte's side but so far.

Logy shows up and from there the side events turn into an Escha & Logy reunion. They also start to imply Stellard is more important because he was sent there. Some minor plot items just mentioned as an aside are suddenly front and center.
Ayesha shows up after The Shallies fight and the narrative is changed slightly so she helps resolve their feud

It's setting up for something more but as of now they're still at the same point they were in the original just with two extra characters and extra explanations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Failboattootoot posted:

I personally couldn't get very far into cyber sleuth. It was a minor wake-up call to me about how much I care about aesthetics in games because that game was mechanically pretty good but I could not get past the hideous environment design, sub-par translation and terrible soundtrack.
Digimon itself is a bit of a throwback at this point, so I'll say that all kind of fits. It can be really grating at its worst though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Need a quick opinion on whether or not WRS 5 is worth snagging for Vita... I know the graphics are butt, but hoping that it's a decent rally sim otherwise.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

zenintrude posted:

Need a quick opinion on whether or not WRS 5 is worth snagging for Vita... I know the graphics are butt, but hoping that it's a decent rally sim otherwise.

Unless there's Miku on the side of one of those cars I don't think you'll find too many Vita players

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
:toot:

My Shallie Plus preorder arrived.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 23, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

InfinityComplex posted:

:toot:

My Shallie Plus preorder arrived.

Atelier games are the one thing I never understood. I tried one for an hour and went "uuuugh.... not for me" I think it was totori and maybe not representative of the franchise.

Well ok, I don't understand Valkyrie Drive either.

I'm happy for you though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Whoa hey, let's not compare Atelier to VD. Not cool

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Atelier games are the one thing I never understood. I tried one for an hour and went "uuuugh.... not for me" I think it was totori and maybe not representative of the franchise.

Totori is representative of the general idea of the franchise, but it does start you off in a tiny corner of the world map and gives you no direction at all, both of which can be kind of offputting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I bought some Atelier game and then shoved it in the shelf. What are the games about? Alchemy?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Well ok, I don't understand Valkyrie Drive either.

I'm happy for you though.

if you are male you prolly won't like atelier

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I bought some Atelier game and then shoved it in the shelf. What are the games about? Alchemy?

They're about chilling with friends and killing gods and monsters with homemade nukes

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I don't think gender has much to do with enjoying video games actually

Atelier is good for everyone

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

U-DO Burger posted:

They're about chilling with friends and killing gods and monsters with homemade nukes

Actually, I have more than one. I have Sophie for PS4. Don't remember getting that. And PS3 Arnand Trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atelier games are basically about two things:

A) Making friends with anime characters
B) Increasingly complex item crafting.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zenintrude posted:

No, WRC 4 is the one you want to get for the Vita, that's the decent one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Actually, I have more than one. I have Sophie for PS4. Don't remember getting that. And PS3 Arnand Trilogy.

Sophie is one of the worst starting points for the series. There's a reason Escha and Logy were added as characters despite being from a different universe.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Dehry posted:

Sophie is one of the worst starting points for the series. There's a reason Escha and Logy were added as characters despite being from a different universe.

I have to agree, it's a decent Atelier game but the Dusk Trilogy is the best versions to get people introduced to it. Hopefully Firis will be better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dehry posted:

fun cameos? afaik the most they do in sophie and firis is logy running the weapon upgrade shop

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Sea Sponge Run posted:

That's fair. I can appreciate that a franchise isn't meant for me.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Sorry, but that's bull. The Dusk trilogy works for anyone who wants a chill game about making friends, eating cake, and slaughter cute animals so you can make more powerful bombs. Also everyone who appreciates the wonderful music. Just don't expect a complicated story or lightning-fast pace.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 24, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I heard that that Escha/Logy Dusk game is the best in the series. I was hoping the trilogy would who up on Vita for like $10 or something. But not yet.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Waltzing Along posted:

I heard that that Escha/Logy Dusk game is the best in the series. I was hoping the trilogy would who up on Vita for like $10 or something. But not yet.

I would say Escha/Logy has the best gameplay. My favorite is still Ayesha because:
1) I enjoyed the characters more.
2) Better music (but at least on ps3 you can buy the Ayesha music as DLC for cheap, so you can listen to it in E&L)
3) The time limit actually has a point and forces you to think about what you should be doing.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Renoistic posted:

I would say Escha/Logy has the best gameplay. My favorite is still Ayesha because:
1) I enjoyed the characters more.
2) Better music (but at least on ps3 you can buy the Ayesha music as DLC for cheap, so you can listen to it in E&L)
3) The time limit actually has a point and forces you to think about what you should be doing.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. The rest of them are still great chill-out games but Ayesha was the first I played (besides some MK and Annie which lol) and having a more interesting storyline & stuff was a big factor in getting sucked into the series. That said I still think E&L is really fantastic & anyone who likes to chill with their games (or alternatively likes to get intense about crafting) could have fun with them

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

CrashCat posted:

Luckily you can powerlevel pretty easily in the game at some point, so it doesn't have to be painful to raise them up again

Oh definitely. Stuff like the Platinum/USB setup saves so much time that I can't imagine trying to Digivolve half the monsters without it. It takes a bit of time and grinding to set that up as well though. Not to mention that you still have to teleport back and forth between your grinding spot and the place where you can manage evolution.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I've tried to get into the older trilogy a few times with little success. I always get bored and switch to something else before it picks up.

But I got really far in the crappy PSP port of Mana Khemia, which is basically Atelier but in a school setting (and a male main character :sweatdrop:). Also made by Gust.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

I've tried to get into the older trilogy a few times with little success. I always get bored and switch to something else before it picks up.

But I got really far in the crappy PSP port of Mana Khemia, which is basically Atelier but in a school setting (and a male main character :sweatdrop:). Also made by Gust.

Mana Khemia is literally an Atelier game. Each Atelier game is titled Project A(#) where MK is A9. MK2 is A10, Rorona is A11, ect. Firis is A18.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ImpAtom posted:

Mana Khemia is literally an Atelier game. Each Atelier game is titled Project A(#) where MK is A9. MK2 is A10, Rorona is A11, ect. Firis is A18.

Oh... MK is an Atelier game?

whelp, guess I need to start picking them up.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mana Khemia is really good.

MK2 I can't say a lot of good things about. But the secret boss in the JP-only PSP version is amazing :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

After a lot of hemming and hawwing, Tecmo Koei confirms that Toukiden 2 will be coming to PC, PS4, AND PS Vita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBzBqJQVQ08

Toukiden 2 comes to North America on March 21st and the 24th in Europe.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Oh definitely. Stuff like the Platinum/USB setup saves so much time that I can't imagine trying to Digivolve half the monsters without it. It takes a bit of time and grinding to set that up as well though. Not to mention that you still have to teleport back and forth between your grinding spot and the place where you can manage evolution.

yeah, for all the things i love about the digimon game it could still use some QOL improvements with regards to digivolution and such

oh well, cyber sleuth apparently sold fairly good (for a niche game that almost didn't even get translated) so maybe Cyber Sleuth 2 will fix some of that

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Toukiden any different from all the other MonHun-likes?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I started playing the Atelier series with Totori, and have played from there partway through Escha & Logy, up through making the airship parts. I get the feeling it's a minority opinion, but my favorite so far is actually Meruru. It has IMO the best balance about the timeline giving a sense of urgency without feeling too rushed, having both calm slice-of-life elements and more dramatic events and having fun, engaging characters. Totori was fun but the timeline felt way too rushed unless you were following a guide. The Dusk series so far is a bit too laid-back overall for my tastes. I like the general commentary and world-building it does, but I wish the characters in general were more engaging and/or there were a few events that felt more overall consequential (more a complaint w/ E&L so far than Ayesha). But I still have to finish E&L and then there's Shalie, and then the next set ahhhhhh I'm so far behind!

Also, I will always love Atelier offering so much music from previous games as DLC you can assign in the current game, easily one of my favorite things considering how good a lot of the music is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

also, pamela is in it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mason Dixon posted:

I started playing the Atelier series with Totori, and have played from there partway through Escha & Logy, up through making the airship parts. I get the feeling it's a minority opinion, but my favorite so far is actually Meruru. It has IMO the best balance about the timeline giving a sense of urgency without feeling too rushed, having both calm slice-of-life elements and more dramatic events and having fun, engaging characters. Totori was fun but the timeline felt way too rushed unless you were following a guide. The Dusk series so far is a bit too laid-back overall for my tastes. I like the general commentary and world-building it does, but I wish the characters in general were more engaging and/or there were a few events that felt more overall consequential (more a complaint w/ E&L so far than Ayesha). But I still have to finish E&L and then there's Shalie, and then the next set ahhhhhh I'm so far behind!

Also, I will always love Atelier offering so much music from previous games as DLC you can assign in the current game, easily one of my favorite things considering how good a lot of the music is.

I would like Meruru the most of the Arland games if not for the frigging Rorona thing in it which is just The Worst.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well now I feel weird that my favorite Atelier (that actually has Atelier in the name) is still Totori. :downs:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I know its not Vita related but while it's on topic, was Mana Khemia 2 worth playing? I enjoyed the original a lot, but someone heavily dissuaded me from importing the sequel for reasons I can't remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well now I feel weird that my favorite Atelier (that actually has Atelier in the name) is still Totori. :downs:

You're not alone there. I've seen a fair number of people say they like Totori a lot.

Not Operator posted:

I know its not Vita related but while it's on topic, was Mana Khemia 2 worth playing? I enjoyed the original a lot, but someone heavily dissuaded me from importing the sequel for reasons I can't remember.

The basic problems are:

A) They do a 2-character thing but it isn't interesting enough to actually carry 2 playthroughs while being necessary to access the final dungeon.
B) The entire cast are unlikable assholes. It really drags the game down because they're not funny or charming, they're just boring shits.
C) It recycles a bunch of MK1 so it doesn't feel very fresh.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

ImpAtom posted:

A) They do a 2-character thing but it isn't interesting enough to actually carry 2 playthroughs while being necessary to access the final dungeon.
B) The entire cast are unlikable assholes. It really drags the game down because they're not funny or charming, they're just boring shits.
C) It recycles a bunch of MK1 so it doesn't feel very fresh.

Also the PSP port is absolutely horrible.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Not Operator posted:

It's not bad, so to speak, just not really as good. PS2 Gust had a lot of really good games out at the time and it's pretty weak compared to some of the other stuff they had on offer. The character are nowhere near as fun and charming as the first game, and kind of range from 'eh' to intolerable shits.

The new battle/alchemy systems aren't as good as the first game's either. The only real improvements are making weapons and items at the same place and if you don't have an item but you know how to make it, you can just automatically go to the synthesis screen for that item, which is actually real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Toukiden any different from all the other MonHun-likes?

Yeah, it's a lot faster.