Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I just bought a year-long cinema pass. I live 5 minutes from the cinema. I'm going to be seeing a lot of movies this year, and I'm excited to share the best and worst with my pals in CineD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Henker posted:

Is Jai Courtney really that awful? Honestly I've only seen him in two things: Spartacus where he was fine, and Suicide Squad where he was the least bad thing about that hot dogshit of a movie.

Suicide Squad was dreadful but a couple of Courtney's scenes actually got a chuckle out of me, especially when Rick Flag says they're free to go and Captain Boomerang immediately peaces the gently caress out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Suicide Squad was terrible, but I'd probably be into a Captain Boomerang spinoff. :australia:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

well why not posted:

I just bought a year-long cinema pass. I live 5 minutes from the cinema. I'm going to be seeing a lot of movies this year, and I'm excited to share the best and worst with my pals in CineD.

:hfive:

I've had a similar thing going on for the past 3 years and I've yet to walk out of a movie. It's amazing what you can stomach when time is the only thing you are spending.

I'm sure the cinema would appreciate it if once in a while I bought some popcorn to go along with my ticket stub, but I usually just eat somewhere before/after the movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Given the success of Underworld and Resident Evil, I wonder how well the Matrix series would have done if they had just started pumping out steadily dumber sequels instead of stopping after two.

If the films had come out six or seven years later, we'd be talking about how Matrix 8 was a return to form for the series.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Given the success of Underworld and Resident Evil, I wonder how well the Matrix series would have done if they had just started pumping out steadily dumber sequels instead of stopping after two.

Well, we got Equilibrium, Ultraviolet, Gamer, and The Thirteenth Floor, so technically we are living in that alternate reality.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do love how in the intro to RE3 they tell you all the oceans dried up for 'reasons' but they completely ignore that kind of important plot point for all future films in the series.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do love how in the intro to RE3 they tell you all the oceans dried up for 'reasons' but they completely ignore that kind of important plot point for all future films in the series.

Clearly at time of Resident Evil:Apocalypse the desert one Extinction the series was going through it's rebellious teenager phase. Except it didn't turn emo, it turned Mad Max.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Plus that whole plot point was moot because that one takes place in Las Vegas so it's already in the desert

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Suicide Squad was much better than it had any right to be.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Suicide Squad had a guy whose gimmick was throwing things, then in the big finale someone else was the guy who threw the important thing that needed to be thrown. That's the movie in a nutshell, all the entertaining bits were in spite of everything else and it was still miles ahead of the rest of the murderverse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't say Captain Boomerang's gimmick was throwing things, that's just his name. I know nothing of the comics but in the film I got the impression his sole gimmick was "robs banks, is Australian".

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My Suicide Squad complaint is pretty minor, but I think it'd have been much more effective to switch around the bomb and the Diablo reveal. Bomb fails, then Diablo saves the day with his crazy also-a-god powers. Because as it stands, the sequence is 'Whoa, Diablo was also a god all along! Seriously though guys, let's get that bomb set up..

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 23, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slugworth posted:

My Suicide Squad complaint is pretty minor, but I think it'd have been much more effective to switch around the bomb and the Diablo reveal. Bomb fails, then Diablo saves the day with his crazy also-a-god powers.

Diabolus ex machina?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dont even fink about it posted:

Well, we got Equilibrium, Ultraviolet, Gamer, and The Thirteenth Floor, so technically we are living in that alternate reality.

13th Floor came out something like 6 weeks after the Matrix so I don't think it's a sequel in that sense.

They are both Dark City sequels.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm probably never going to watch Suicide Squad because the No Rope Jokes thing is some serious bullshit.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

I wouldn't say Captain Boomerang's gimmick was throwing things, that's just his name. I know nothing of the comics but in the film I got the impression his sole gimmick was "robs banks, is Australian".

Captain Boomerang's gimmick is that he's exactly as useless as Slipknot, just not as stupid. He's explicitly a useless, lovely character who isn't even a good, petty super-criminal. He is, subsequently, the closest the film gives us to a 'tragic' figure. When he's returned to solitary confinement at the end, it really is kind of sad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

13th Floor came out something like 6 weeks after the Matrix so I don't think it's a sequel in that sense.

They are both Dark City sequels.

I remember the 13th Floor being pretty good, it was just cursed to have been coming out during Matrix Fever

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

precision posted:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

precision posted:

I read a quote here once about a poster who admired the audacity of a guy who comes across the fastest person in the universe, a man so fast that his sheer speed can tear holes in the fabric of reality by accident, who then says to himself "I'm going to throw a boomerang at him" and proceeds to do so for over 50 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

lol what.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

precision posted:

Not really much of a bar to clear

E: To be clear, it was dogshit

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I kind of agree? My expectations were in the absolute toilet and it was a decently enjoyable, if super clunky and flawed, movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Are the Divergent movies any good? Because all I ever hear about them is "didn't make any money, hopefully we're done with two movies per book cash grabs now."

Complete poo poo.

This interview with Courtney and Teller is kinda amusing though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G515om3QPyA

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

precision posted:

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

how often would Flash have to do that to him that he'd would think "wait if only I could train myself to contort my body properly..."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of agree? My expectations were in the absolute toilet and it was a decently enjoyable, if super clunky and flawed, movie.

And my response to Suicide Squad was a fantastic concept completely squandered every step of the way and utter garbage.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Random Stranger posted:

And my response to Suicide Squad was a fantastic concept completely squandered every step of the way and utter garbage.

And my response was "At least it was better than MoS and BvS"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Audacity is the perfect word for flash villains. The Flash has a villain named The Top. He spins. He spins so fast, that one time, he completely rearranged his DNA and became a different person. He has no superpowers or technology. He just spins.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Davros1 posted:

And my response was "At least it was better than MoS and BvS"

this is a tough call. suicide squad is one of the worst edited movies i've ever seen. those other two aren't at quite that level despite being different shades of bad.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I liked the 2003 anime more than the manga but I haven't read or watched either in almost a decade.

I'm also one of those 2003 FMA lovers. It did some really interesting body horror with a very intimate third act. Brotherhood was much more mundane.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Audacity is the perfect word for flash villains. The Flash has a villain named The Top. He spins. He spins so fast, that one time, he completely rearranged his DNA and became a different person. He has no superpowers or technology. He just spins.

It's like they realized any real villain would be immediately outmatched by someone with the Flash's powers, so they just had to run wth the silliest poo poo they could imagine to keep things interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thundercracker posted:

I'm also one of those 2003 FMA lovers. It did some really interesting body horror with a very intimate third act. Brotherhood was much more mundane.

Brotherhood has better fight scenes

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Rogues are cool because they team up and have a code/standards, they even reject other villains lording over them like when the crime syndicate took over the planet. They are more memorable than the usual non-Batman villains, I don't even care about Flash in the comics but when they show up they can be better done than a lot of heroes comics. They are certainly more creative than "evil flash"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/823593205409017856

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Which famous ape movie gets remade next? If you had Every Which Way But Loose, be sure to mark your bingo square!

quote:

It was the 1978 Clint Eastwood comedy that everyone loved to hate and hated to love, but it ended up making $95M and spawned a sequel. Now Every Which Way but Loose is being remade, and James Fargo, who directed the first film, and is now producing. He just tapped Anthony Cohen to direct.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/every-which-way-but-loose-remake-anthony-cohen-director-1201892331/

Yes!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm amazed Ryan Murphy didn't jump on the Harding Incident for ACS. Or the Bobbit Incident.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

I'm amazed Ryan Murphy didn't jump on the Harding Incident for ACS. Or the Bobbit Incident.

Nah, he had another thing in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDm9D422tQ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I thought he'd said season 2 would be about Hurricane Katrina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
thats a brand new ryan murphy fx anthology show that sarah paulson is in

• Locked thread