Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Why is it better for your back to be there instead, though?

I mean there isn't much leg room in the rear facing 3rd row seats of my ~e klasse wagon~ but if you flipped them around and had them front facing your head would be pretty much against the liftgate.

My only point is there's nothing intuitive (to me) that suggests facing forward is safer than facing backwards, when everything else is equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eighty-four merc posted:

My only point is there's nothing intuitive (to me) that suggests facing forward is safer than facing backwards, when everything else is equal.

All else equal,facing backwards would be safer in a front‐end collision.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

Dad got a new ride. I'm a little jealous.

Dad is awesome.

My first brush with rear facing seating was the first time I went to the US when I was 9, the taxi that picked us up was a lot like that car and the driver asked if we wanted to sit in the back. A little confused we asked what he meant, he opened up the boot and there it was, a rear facing seat. Best taxi ride ever.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bogatyr posted:

Are those rear facing seats "illegal" now or just fallen out of favor? Sure, its a bad place to be in a collision but it makes those seats accessible and comfortable. Maybe a little car sick prone.

I'm gonna go with car sick prone, my daughter is still in a rear-facing seat and while she likes it when we "go wheee" and take empty parking lot corners hard, she wanted me to stop doing donuts in the daycare parking lot (megachurch, so acres of empty space) before dropoff the one snow that we got that wasn't plowed up before we got there. :xd:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eighty-four merc posted:

Why is it better for your back to be there instead, though?

I mean there isn't much leg room in the rear facing 3rd row seats of my ~e klasse wagon~ but if you flipped them around and had them front facing your head would be pretty much against the liftgate.

Statistically, rear end collisions have the fewest fatalities due to the generally lower speed differential. Front is most, side second, and rear distant third.

Obviously for a front collision, a rear-facing seat would be very safe, as your body mass is spread over the whole seat back and the g-forces are far lower than being pushed against a narrow seat belt when facing forward. The one case where a rear-facing seat would be more dangerous would be a high-speed rear end collision, which is quite rare. Even in that case, the passengers may lose their lower legs but would probably survive.

So the risks with rear-facing third seats are somewhat different than with other arrangements, but their overall safety is probably a bit better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

An amazing facebook tale!

quote:

I was just sat in Cobham services eating breakfast after a night shift, while I'm sat in the car some woman proceeds with smacking her door on mine repeatedly to get out of her car. I ask what the gently caress she thinks she's doing and she has the audacity to blame it on my parking. If I had parked any squarer the car would be upside loving down! Seems people that have a vocabulary that consists of three letter words are usually loving idiots. The gently caress is wrong with people?

Nice, arsehole can't get out of her car without twatting the one sat next to her and then kicks off when the owner of the car she's hit calls her out on it. All his friends were telling him he should've keyed her car when she was gone but he took the high road.

This new part of the story has just popped up completing the amazingness;

quote:

So a little update from earlier, I was just pulled over and arrested for a hit and run in which I was quickly de-arrested after they realised my car wasn't damaged and the fact I had no idea what they were talking about.

...until they gave me a few more details.

Turns out the woman who earlier had hit my door went on to write her car off around 3 hours ago and gave my number plate saying I hit her and left the scene because of the fuss I made by saying she had dented my door.

Oh karma you absolute diamond

quote:

Not going to lie I was making GBS threads bricks at first especially when I was put into cuffs in the back of the car, luckily from the time of the accident to when they pulled me over it was physically impossible to do that distance in the time it had happened etc, she#ll be even more hosed now.

That lady is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm super curious about her wreck. Did she intentionally bin her ride to try and get this dude in jail?

I mean the simple explanation is that she's just so stupid it was a run of the mill accident but the fact she took his plate and it happened shortly after an altercation is pretty suspicious.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Statistically, rear end collisions have the fewest fatalities due to the generally lower speed differential. Front is most, side second, and rear distant third.

Obviously for a front collision, a rear-facing seat would be very safe, as your body mass is spread over the whole seat back and the g-forces are far lower than being pushed against a narrow seat belt when facing forward. The one case where a rear-facing seat would be more dangerous would be a high-speed rear end collision, which is quite rare. Even in that case, the passengers may lose their lower legs but would probably survive.

So the risks with rear-facing third seats are somewhat different than with other arrangements, but their overall safety is probably a bit better.

Don't most of these third row, rear facing seats lack a headrest? even though you would be at an advantage for a front crash in theory, i'm guessing a lot of people's heads would be above the back of the seat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

xzzy posted:

I'm super curious about her wreck. Did she intentionally bin her ride to try and get this dude in jail?

I mean the simple explanation is that she's just so stupid it was a run of the mill accident but the fact she took his plate and it happened shortly after an altercation is pretty suspicious.

I want to think she took his plate in case he did anything in retaliation and was then so annoyed all day (HOW DARE HE TELL ME OFF FOR DENTING HIS DOOR!) that she stacked it and thought she'd blame him.

If I find out more I'll let you know.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Demuro is pretty inoffensive and goons will hate anything that gains popularity.

I watched one of his videos probably a year or two ago and I couldn't get over how he was trying so hard to be jeremy clarkson. That was enough for me.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Demuro loves talking about himself. From the cars he buys for attention to the fact that he always plugged his Twitter whenever he wrote something for Jalopnik. It was insufferable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The biggest problem with Doug is that he's convinced he's way funnier than he actually is. At best his videos are amusing.

Also, I'm pretty sure even AvE has better production values with his voice activated focus you gently caress!.

Edit: Coal rolling C3 :stonk:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 23, 2017

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I watched one of his videos probably a year or two ago and I couldn't get over how he was trying so hard to be jeremy clarkson. That was enough for me.

Yep. The world only needs at most one Jeremy Clarkson and Doug is pretty poo poo a pretty poo poo Clarkson.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, but how many cars had a rear facing third row? It's a pretty low number.

Wrong thread.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

iospace posted:

Yes, but how many cars had a rear facing third row? It's a pretty low number.

Didn't most 70s and 80s wagons have them? I know the GM A-body wagons (Celebrity, 6000, Cutlass Ciera, Century) did. The Taurus and Sable wagon had one too. I'm sure there were others, though in terms of sales I think those would total to quite a few backwards seats.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

iospace posted:

Wrong thread.

But it's already in the awesome thread?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beach Bum posted:

But it's already in the awesome thread?

:catbert:

I have the largest hate for coal rollers. So there you go (I think it's absolutely pointless).

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

iospace posted:

I have the largest hate for coal rollers. So there you go (I think it's absolutely pointless).

Agreed, doesn't the black smoke mean they are running way too rich and wasting power/fuel?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Gale Banks has some choice words on the subject every time someone brings it up. This is a pretty good summary: http://assets.bankspower.com/mag_article_files/100/8Lug_Jan13_carb.pdf

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

And for those unfamiliar with the diesel world, Gale Banks is somewhere between John Moses Browning and Jesus Christ himself.

Dude knows his poo poo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
On a related note, diesel bros tv show guys and their parent company are being sued

http://www.standard.net/Environment/2017/01/18/Diesel-Brothers-lawsuit-reveals-challenges-of-emissions-enforcement-in-Utah

Although on the other hand, if someone wants to buy a catless downpipe from me I'll take their money.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 24, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

jamal posted:

On a related note, diesel bros tv show guys and their parent company are being sued

http://www.standard.net/Environment/2017/01/18/Diesel-Brothers-lawsuit-reveals-challenges-of-emissions-enforcement-in-Utah

Although on the other hand, if someone wants to buy a catless downpipe from me I'll take their money.

Pro-click, especially with the included pic of one of the accused, a certain Mr. "Heavy-D".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pro-click, especially with the included pic of one of the accused, a certain Mr. "Heavy-D".

They do some okay stuff sometimes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DGzunjdns&t=46s

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

jamal posted:

I hope they get hosed. Air quality in that area is truly awful.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

iospace posted:

I'm not a fan of the coal myself (I've been rolled on a couple times by the local teenagers while on my Suzuki), but a diesel 'Vette is freakin' awesome.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Godholio posted:

I hope they get hosed. Air quality in that area is truly awful.

As a native and resident of salt lake I do hope they get shut down. Tuning a diesel for big power is neat. Rolling coal in the salt lake valley that is a soup bowl for air in the winter makes you a complete twat biscuit.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

McTinkerson posted:

Gale Banks has some choice words on the subject every time someone brings it up. This is a pretty good summary: http://assets.bankspower.com/mag_article_files/100/8Lug_Jan13_carb.pdf

https://youtu.be/b18R5ZEKxuc
His /DRIVE interview is pretty cool if you only have a basic knowledge of diesel or forced induction

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:allears:
Some guy put this on the sloppy mechanics group. Nitrous tractor pulling wagon... with woodsides and a loving cargo carrier.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

kastein posted:

Some guy put this on the sloppy mechanics group. Nitrous tractor pulling wagon... with woodsides and a loving cargo carrier.

Right thread, oh so very right thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kastein posted:

Found the video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndBeZIXAbU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Everything about this video is beautiful. Is that a baseball diamond?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Everything about this video is beautiful. Is that a baseball diamond?

hahaha yes it is, awesome

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

https://youtu.be/b18R5ZEKxuc
His /DRIVE interview is pretty cool if you only have a basic knowledge of diesel or forced induction

His appearances on the Hooniverse and Smoking Tire podcasts were pretty good too. The guy is full of great stories.... admittedly mostly self aggrandising stories but good ones all the same. From what I remember his first appearance on Hooniverse is probably the most interesting one..

http://hooniverse.com/2013/07/31/podcast-episode-21-and-you-can-take-that-to-the-banks/

Edit: Skip to 13:30 unless you want to hear a bunch of outdated car news.

stump fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 24, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Doug's voice annoys me and his tongue is too fat for his head. Outside of that some of his videos have entertained me so I don't hate the guy.

Thank you for listening.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

xzzy posted:

It is Cobham which is NW Surrey and if you live there you either work in London making a ton of money or you are scum who clean the riches bogs. It would not surprise me if she tried to get him in trouble but it would make her one of the more higher functioning morons since it would take 2-3 brain cells firing to come up with the plan to begin with.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've just been reminded about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOOOHX9DnOg

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I remember a mid-90s Popular Mechanics article where they took a Roadmaster and converted it into an Impala SS wagon.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember a mid-90s Popular Mechanics article where they took a Roadmaster and converted it into an Impala SS Buick GS wagon.

https://books.google.com/books?id=6...ahaulic&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=P...ahaulic&f=false

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So I knew about the Subaru Vivio RX-R which is a supercharged 660cc car (and therefore awesome) but what I didn't know is that the Vivio Super KK existed and that it was Colin McRae's first ride for Subaru in the Safari Rally event. He retired after 2 stages after setting the fastest time and breaking his suspension.

quote:

You can hide the whole car in every single pothole along the route!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Saw this little guy down at the local Meijer this afternoon.