Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm going to go all in on katana and omnyo. I plan on abusing the heck out of magic that increases ki regen with a massive ki bar from stacking heart. That's guaranteed to be a mean build in PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed the demo, but seeing that video with the skill that allows you to barehanded parry is probably what sold me on this game. Blade catching is always the coolest thing in samurai movies and I'm glad this game knows it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Probably fairly early, unless the levels are adjusted in the final game. I bet there will be an appropriate +Spirit weapon for most if not all of the guardians.

I sure hope so, that'd make a Spirit build even cooler. I want to be best friends with all the guardian spirits :3:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Btw for weirdos like it seems the release date changed at some point between when they announced it and now. Originally it was announced as worldwide on the 9th but is now 7th for NA, 8th for EU, and 9th for JP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

The high risk of light armor is why I sadly won't be doing a katana/kusarigama build, I think. As much as I'd love to go heavy on Heart/Skill for that, I know I'm going to get owned over and over again if I don't have at least some protection from armor, so it's going to be Heart/Spirit with Body/Strength for armor. So I guess katanas with spears or axes as a backup (barring some great Raikiri-style weapons in other categories that scale well with Spirit). I'm really, really curious what abilities guardian spirits will have in the full game, because we only get to see what they offer up to 10-12 Spirit (depending on the individual spirit) in the demo and some of those abilities are already pretty great. The only way I won't be going for Spirit in my build is if what we saw was actually all/most of the abilities from the full game but they're just spread out more there, because that would be pretty underwhelming.

Yeah I'm really really interested to see what other guardian spirits the game has and what all they have if you go deep in spirit. Its something that didn't even exist in any form in the souls games, very new mechanics that fit very well.

Plus you get a cute little pokemon buddy :3:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoyed the demo, but seeing that video with the skill that allows you to barehanded parry is probably what sold me on this game. Blade catching is always the coolest thing in samurai movies and I'm glad this game knows it

That skill was in the demo :cheeky:

And if you didn't notice, in-game there were videos to show you what each of the skills looked like. Which is great because the translations are awful and often misleading.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 24, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dunno if you guys noticed, I overlooked it at first, but the Muneshige set totally had a set bonus, Diablo style. Having 2, 4, 6 pieces of the set equipped would give you different bonuses.

So the loot system is gonna be full on Diablo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I nearly forgot that Amazon dot com Prime's super awesome discounts exist. This game is going to be the best $48 I spend this year.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I nearly forgot that Amazon dot com Prime's super awesome discounts exist. This game is going to be the best $48 I spend this year.

Yup, used an Amazon Prime trial for the next 30 days so I can get Yakuza 0 (tomorrow!) and Nioh in 2 weeks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Dunno if you guys noticed, I overlooked it at first, but the Muneshige set totally had a set bonus, Diablo style. Having 2, 4, 6 pieces of the set equipped would give you different bonuses.

So the loot system is gonna be full on Diablo.

I was sad that I couldn't refashion any armor to look like that set. I had better armor but that set looks sweet.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/gzhimu.webm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:darksouls:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

I was sad that I couldn't refashion any armor to look like that set. I had better armor but that set looks sweet.

Huh? I had my whole set glamored to the warrior of the west set.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Where is this from? Doesn't look like any place in the beta or the trial. Alpha?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there wolf lmao posted:

Where is this from? Doesn't look like any place in the beta or the trial. Alpha?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXIlzYBbJE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wow, this is a great level. Reminds me of stonefang from DeS kinda.

The level we got in the last beta was kinda weak, but the first betas had some more interesting stuff. Really hope Team Ninja comes up with some wild and crazy locations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Huh? I had my whole set glamored to the warrior of the west set.

What? Is it listed under a different name in the refashioning menu? Or can only certain armor be glamoured to it? I looked through the whole list and didn't see it even though I had every piece in my inventory.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Everything was listed under Warrior of the West for me. I also had to kill him about 10 times for the full set. I also wore medium armor.

Sometimes when picking up new pieces I would see "Smithing Text Added:" with the name of an item so maybe you have to get a certain drop. I strictly mash circle when picking up things so I never quite know if I picked up something weird.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
By the way...did they remove a durability system or am I just remembering something that never existed in the first place? :psyduck:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they replaced it with familiarity after the alpha

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Constellation I posted:

Yup, used an Amazon Prime trial for the next 30 days so I can get Yakuza 0 (tomorrow!) and Nioh in 2 weeks.

Amazon Prime pays for itself so quickly it's insane, doubly so if you live in a state where Amazon sales don't collect tax.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

By the way...did they remove a durability system or am I just remembering something that never existed in the first place? :psyduck:

Yeah, we talked about it a lot a few pages ago. There was originally a durability system where things broke really fast to encourage you to try new weapons, but that meant endless inventory fiddling, even mid-mission, which sucked.

They replaced durability with familiarity, which works opposite. Weapons never break, but the longer you use them, the more familiarity they gain, and you unlock bonus attributes or damage. And there are even special attacks which drain familiarity.

Funny enough, whetstones are items which originally restored durability, so now they instead grant free familiarity. Which works great, but ... doesn't really make sense as a 'whetstone' anymore :cheeky:

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Well sure, you take care of your weapon which makes it more familiar as you become more intimate with it. Which ends up becoming real uncomfortable if you're one of those people who wants to gently caress inanimate objects.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

Why not just i-frame the actual hit and not try to distance yourself. You'll dodge the damage better, be closer to go back to attacking quicker, usually end up behind the boss to do double damage from the back as well as increased ki damage, and look cool doing it. This game awards aggressiveness far more than it rewards passivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmNVGAClB4&t=117s

Wow, this guy clearly knew what he was doing to a much greater degree than I did. What was that devil trigger thing?

Are there any good videos out there that explain all the unique mechanics that are in this game but not Souls? The best I was able to find were some brief explanations on Ki pulsing.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Holy poo poo do I like familiarity way more than durability

I loving hate durability mechanics

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The Moon Monster posted:

Wow, this guy clearly knew what he was doing to a much greater degree than I did. What was that devil trigger thing?

Are there any good videos out there that explain all the unique mechanics that are in this game but not Souls? The best I was able to find were some brief explanations on Ki pulsing.

The devil trigger is living weapon. Hard and Light attack at the same time to trigger it when the guardian spirit symbol is fully charged (it'll be pulsating). You get a burst of damage and your health bar and Ki bar get replaced with a new meter that goes down as you get hit and attack. Getting Amrita and ki pulsing fills it back up (to different degrees depending on guardian spirit). A perfect ki pulse also emits a damage wave that usually has enough power to inflict whatever your guardian spirit elemental type is on anything nearby.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

InfinityComplex posted:

Well sure, you take care of your weapon which makes it more familiar as you become more intimate with it. Which ends up becoming real uncomfortable if you're one of those people who wants to gently caress inanimate objects.

i think it would be extremely comfortable if you wanted to gently caress the inanimate object, actually

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

CharlestonJew posted:

i think it would be extremely comfortable if you wanted to gently caress the inanimate object, actually

Unleash your animal spirit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Everything was listed under Warrior of the West for me. I also had to kill him about 10 times for the full set. I also wore medium armor.

Sometimes when picking up new pieces I would see "Smithing Text Added:" with the name of an item so maybe you have to get a certain drop. I strictly mash circle when picking up things so I never quite know if I picked up something weird.

Huh, interesting. Maybe I just missed it in the list despite my searching. Either way, I'm glad it's an option, that set looks good as hell.

DatonKallandor posted:

A perfect ki pulse also emits a damage wave that usually has enough power to inflict whatever your guardian spirit elemental type is on anything nearby.

poo poo, I never tried Ki pulsing with living weapon active, I had no idea it had a special effect. Hell yeah.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The button command is actually Triangle + Circle, not light + heavy (which would be square and triangle). Pressing the combo again while it's active will also consume a part of the bar to throw your animal spirit out to do a ton of damage and is a good finisher.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is gonna be a long two weeks. I wanna play Nioh right now so bad

Belzac posted:

The button command is actually Triangle + Circle, not light + heavy (which would be square and triangle). Pressing the combo again while it's active will also consume a part of the bar to throw your animal spirit out to do a ton of damage and is a good finisher.

I also didn't know this! I just kept doing light/heavy attack combos trying to put out as much damage as possible, except when I got that katana skill that lets you hold heavy attack for a cool sword-flurry combo.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
All these things are in the advanced tutorial that was in the last chance trial.

An actual little known mechanic is that if you manage to inflict two different elemental debuffs on a yokai they will be afflicted by a debuff that looks like a yingyang. Having the debuff will set their Ki to 0 and all attacks do double damage in addition to the effects of the two other debuffs applied.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I skipped the tutorial because I figured, "I played the other demos, I know how to play Nioh now :smuggo:" and clearly I was extremely wrong.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Belzac posted:

All these things are in the advanced tutorial that was in the last chance trial.

An actual little known mechanic is that if you manage to inflict two different elemental debuffs on a yokai they will be afflicted by a debuff that looks like a yingyang. Having the debuff will set their Ki to 0 and all attacks do double damage in addition to the effects of the two other debuffs applied.

:eyepop:

This game is so loving cool. I can't wait for the full release.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

And if you then hit them with a third status effect you'll reset the duration of the yin yang effect.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Belzac posted:

For anybody actually looking for info on this, the mechanic is called "Discord"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That sounds broken as gently caress so stacking status effects will probably be the best strategy for PvE.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Do elemental effects from living weapon stack with elemental amulets? Man this discord mechanic is gonna be great for onymo and spirit users or onmyo users with an elemental weapon. So many great ideas in the game.

cozyduck
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

This is a pretty good video for Ki Pulsing, Stance Chaining, Flux 1 & 2, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp04chA_DFE

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is there a list or does anyone know off hand what the different elemental debuffs are? Fire makes sense as a DOT because I can see the damage, but when I get an enemy hit with the water debuff I know it's been applied but I don't know what it does. Same with all the elements really. I would think lightning/earth would equal paralysis/poison, but since there are separate weapon enhancements for those conditions I don't think it's likely.

Also, I know this is hella late advice but from the problems people were posting earlier about their experience, investing a few Ninjitsu points into Power Pellets and the poison weapon coating are strong investments that can probably be acquired with just the points gained from the ninja hair items. Poison works on most enemies that aren't bosses and can help take down a Yokai that's giving you trouble, and Power Pellets are a quick and easy way to boost your strength. Likewise, I found grabbing a weapon enhancement spell (water for the Last Chance demo) and the defense-lowering spell to be good uses of my Onmyo points, along with the passive abilities. Stacking buffs and debuffs seems easier and more important that in the Dark Souls games, especially since the items restore at every shrine.

Actually, another question: Does the skill/ninjitsu stat increase the effectiveness of the Power Pellets? Or is it a static boost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is there a list or does anyone know off hand what the different elemental debuffs are? Fire makes sense as a DOT because I can see the damage, but when I get an enemy hit with the water debuff I know it's been applied but I don't know what it does. Same with all the elements really. I would think lightning/earth would equal paralysis/poison, but since there are separate weapon enhancements for those conditions I don't think it's likely.

According to the wiki (so take this with a grain of salt, obviously):
  • Fire is a burning DOT, which is obvious.
  • Lightning is a slowing effect, both for attack speed and movement, and is separate from paralysis.
  • Earth increases the Ki cost of actions.
  • Water lowers defenses and makes it easier to build up other elemental effects.
  • Wind is apparently also a DOT that has a chance to make the target flinch when it ticks.