Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

The Best Thing happened! F1 saved! Our American Overlords know what to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel bad for Ross Brawn

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Holy gently caress, cosworth guy is on the radio being all enthusiastic about the future of the sport :D

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

julian assflange posted:

Why? He's already done his Mercedes and Ferrari stint. By comparison dealing with Americans should be a cakewalk.

Especially if he brings actual cake to any meetings.

TBH I'm cautiously optimistic. Getting Ross on board at least suggests that the Americans have some idea of how to go about maintaining and improving the F1 situation.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Well that's the worst F1 news since Senna died. The sport's hosed now.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

https://twitter.com/DC_F1/status/823817001198120960

The return of the Brawn is good news

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
did bernie buy manor

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

GramCracker posted:

I know the writing was on the wall but am I really the only one sort of bummed to see Are Bernard leaving?

Aside from half the thread, yes

julian assflange posted:

He's setting up his retirement fund, he knows it's a short-term investment.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Dubs posted:

did bernie buy manor

Seeing as he one of the richest men in the country, you have to assume he's quite good with his money. Why anyone with any financial sense would want to buy an F1 team is beyond me.

But, saying that, he is 408 years old and a bit mental, so it's anyone's guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brainwrong posted:

Seeing as he one of the richest men in the country, you have to assume he's quite good with his money. Why anyone with any financial sense would want to buy an F1 team is beyond me.

But, saying that, he is 408 years old and a bit mental, so it's anyone's guess.

If i had bernie money, i would buy an f-1 team just so i could slap a hilarious livery on the cars every weekend.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

Powershift posted:

If i had bernie money, i would buy an f-1 team just so i could slap a hilarious livery on the cars every weekend.

Oh god yes. I'd go further than that and give some of the "best" drivers who are out of work a crack at a race each weekend.

"Pastor, you free for Bahrain?"

"Hideki, can you make it to Silverstone this year?"

"Michael, can you do Monaco? Michael? MICHAEL? Wake up!. Lazy bugger"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brainwrong posted:

Oh god yes. I'd go further than that and give some of the "best" drivers who are out of work a crack at a race each weekend.

"Pastor, you free for Bahrain?"

"Hideki, can you make it to Silverstone this year?"

"Michael, can you do Monaco? Michael? MICHAEL? Wake up!. Lazy bugger"

Maldonado and sutil, nicknamed crash and bash.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'd buy manor because under the current concord agreement major decisions have to be unanimously agreed upon by all teams before going though. If Bernie wanted to annoy Brawn that's the way to do it.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Bernie once referred to HRT/Virgin/Manor/Good Lotus as "cripples" that needed to be "gotten rid of"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remember the days one of the reasons for qualifying was that there were too many cars and it was a way of weeding out of backmarkers?

Bernie's refusal to bring F1 out of the 1980s is one of the reasons we don't have that now.

Not at all fun fact. Bernie allows one DVD release a year and that's because the FIA is allowed to no matter what he says because they are the FIA. There have never even been any VHS boxed sets, and not even Ferrari are allowed to put out a best of DVD. The man responsible for promoting F1 for the last 40 years Ladies and Gentlemen.

And people wonder why the audience is dropping?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
I cannot trust a man with a mustache.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Bernie out, Brawn in, biggest change to F1 in the 23 years I've been following it, I'm optimistic for some positive changes. It's probably too late for anything to happen in the 2017 season, but the years ahead will be interesting indeed.

Bernie has kept the sport in the dark ages for too long. F1 wasn't even broadcast in HD until a few years ago, years after every other sport was doing it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Brainwrong posted:

I cannot trust a man with a mustache.

It's to hide a huge scar. I'm assuming he got that when he was a pirate and he started his empire with Treasure stolen from another weaker pirate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This list is one heck of a roller coaster ride:

quote:

Here's a quick top-10 list of things we know about Chase Carey:

10. As COO at Fox Inc. in the '90s, helped launch Fox News and Fox Sports.

9. Key figure in brokering the $1.58 billion deal between Fox Network and the NFL.

8. Former rugby player for Colgate University, where he received his undergraduate degree; he also holds a master’s degree from Harvard, where he played rugby for the Harvard Business School.

7. Has attended one Formula 1 race in his life (2016 Singapore Grand Prix).

6. In 2003, as CEO of DirecTV, Carey helped add 1 million subscribers and is credited for bringing the company back to profitability.

5. Longtime friend and close advisor to media magnate Rupert Murdoch.

4. He sports a handlebar mustache that hides a scar he received in a car accident.

3. Carey is a native New Yorker and a Yankees fan.

2. Has been know to drink the occasional Budweiser during his commuter train ride home (we expect a switch to Heineken -- a major F1 sponsor).

1. In 2013, talking about "The Simpsons," Carey called it "the best written show in the history of television."

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brainwrong posted:

If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of reasonably priced online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

FTFY and then :same:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

If Liberty does this, plus divides up money equitably between the teams, and revokes Ferrari's $100m bonus, I'd be hard pressed to complain. Unless their PPV stream included the Sky broadcast team, in which case I'd have to stab myself in the ears with a rusty screwdriver.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm thinking that a man who can recognise that Bernie is too old and that Ross Brawn is the future, will very shortly be quietly retiring most of the Sky commentary team. Hopefully by offering Jenson Button and Antony Davidson lots of money. He does have the pull at Sky to be able to oust the terrible old boys club currently infesting our screens, hopefully by the start of 2017 season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I am being 100% sincere when I say this: I'd rather hear Darrell Waltrip work an F1 race in a solo booth than listen to the Sky team.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ironically if Sky were filming the race and not FOM you would be able to turn off the commentary and listen to the cars and team radio uninterrupted. These are the people who have made cricket somehow not boring to watch, although having now seen Sky's cricket coverage it does make what they have been putting out for the F1 seem infinatly more depressing.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

wicka posted:

I am being 100% sincere when I say this: I'd rather hear Darrell Waltrip work an F1 race in a solo booth than listen to the Sky team.

Tbh I'd listen to it once.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Boogity Boogity Boogity let's go racin in Baku boys!

Well done Baku.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Almost everything I've heard from Liberty has made me feel pretty at ease:

Chase Carey's bullet point analysis with the problems with F1 as it stands
  • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid.
  • There is a lack of competition on track.
  • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals.
  • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
  • The decision-making process is not working properly.
  • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side.
  • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge.

A BBC article outlining some of what he's said since the deal was completed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38731760

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This is going to fail miserably. F1 can't succeed in the USA without massive government subsidies.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think that might be the car industry you are thinking about there.

This thread is showing quite the split between cautiously optimistic Europeans, and Americans who have lost all hope.

E: Reminder the man who will be in charge of the racing side of things worked in F1 for 40 years and led teams to 19 championships.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 24, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Brawn was pretty good at sniffing out (and exploiting) accidental pitfalls in the rule making process, he's a good guy to have around so we don't end up with kneejerk rules that are terrible

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

This thread is showing quite the split between cautiously optimistic Europeans, and Americans who have lost all hope.

Give me one god drat reason I should feel hopeful about anything right now. Even the loving French are probably going to elect a fascist.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This Carey fella is saying all the right things. I am excited.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Tsaedje posted:

Brawn was pretty good at sniffing out (and exploiting) accidental pitfalls in the rule making process, he's a good guy to have around so we don't end up with kneejerk rules that are terrible

And hopefully decades in the sport will mean no dumb poo poo like split races or reverse grids.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hamilton posted a snap of him jogging and he was listening to A$AP Rocky - Fuckin' Problems.

lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Give me one god drat reason I should feel hopeful about anything right now. Even the loving French are probably going to elect a fascist.

I just don't even care anymore, the lever got pulled let's see what kind of crazy happens. My only real complaint is that I was hopeful that NAFTA was going to get ripped up but apparently things between USA and Canada are just peachy so we aren't even going to get that.

I generally checked out of politics when the son of the founder of the pension gutting firm full of grease bags I have to deal with on a weekly basis got made finance minister and proceeded to tell all young people to "Get hosed" for expecting a stable job. Oh and this is our center left party.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
like 40% of something awful . com forums is a great place to bitch about politics. SAS is not one of those places.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hitler

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

like 40% of something awful . com forums is a great place to bitch about politics. SAS is not one of those places.

Let's discuss your weird anime avatar instead. Why do you like anime? Have you ever run into Nando at an anime convention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The telegraph have put Bernie on trial http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2017/01/24/bernie-ecclestone-mock-trial-f1s-greatest-advocate-scourge-sport/

• Locked thread