Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

if you haven't updated gfor a while windows will just go through chronologically, not bothering to check whether any older updates are included in teh cumnulative.

sounds like your os is a pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that is indeed a tautological statement

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

(also the standalone isntallers provide some feedback on what they're doing such that you aren't left wondering if the pos has locked up. i don't know why the windows update panel doesn't provide that information as well.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was 99% sure the update was just broke, left the computer for an hour and came back to it finally being finished

windows subsystem for linux (beta) still refuses to install

it was over two hours on my pos computer :negative:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the last update took like 5 minutes on my computer which is a long time for updates.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

remember the fat fedora dude who wore neon sneakers at microsoft events? he got canned
http://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/1/23/14362846/bryan-roper-microsoft-laid-off-hat-guy

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
like a boss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh good. thanks satya.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

remember the fat fedora dude who wore neon sneakers at microsoft events?
no

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elder Postsman posted:

this latest windows 10 update took almost as long to install as the original win 10 upgrade. i hope there was some good stuff in it.

my start menu has "most used" back again, instead of being strictly alphabetical, so i am happy with the changes so far

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was 99% sure the update was just broke, left the computer for an hour and came back to it finally being finished

windows subsystem for linux (beta) still refuses to install

I had that problem, turns out kaspersky couldn't handle the Pico processes. AV causes more problems than it solves :who knew:.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lol if you think there was av involved in their fuckup

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
today's update went swimmingly

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
you're holding it wrong

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Please, Don.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Boiled Water posted:

Lenovo laptops, lenovo docks, lenovo displays, they worked pretty alright until the fan on my lappy gave out

your what ?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
His lap prolapsed, he can no longer place his lenovo accessories upon it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Microsoft is planning to kill off one of the more unique features of its Xbox One dashboard: snap mode. The software giant originally introduced snap mode as a method to watch TV or run an app side-by-side with a game. Microsoft is now on a mission to improve dashboard speed and multitasking, and snap mode is being removed to help improve the overall dashboard lag.

Xbox Platform head Mike Ybarra revealed the change on Twitter yesterday, noting that “we replaced Snap to improve multitasking, reduce memory use, improve overall speed, and free up resources going forward for bigger things.” It’s not clear what those “bigger things” are just yet, but rumors have suggested Microsoft might opt for some type of picture-in-picture mode to let universal apps run alongside games.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the xbone has three operating systems

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

gee i wish i could consume content while playing a video game that has my undivided attention

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

just shovel that content into my sockets

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite thing about snap was how they constantly showed it with netflix like yeah let me watch widescreen movies in the right hand 20% of my screen this is awesome

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

How does retroactively removing an advertised feature from your game console not violate consumer protection laws

I'm guessing their excuse is that you signed a ToS that gives Microsoft the right to do anything they want up to and including remotely signalling your console to catch on fire

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Linguica posted:

How does retroactively removing an advertised feature from your game console not violate consumer protection laws

I'm guessing their excuse is that you signed a ToS that gives Microsoft the right to do anything they want up to and including remotely signalling your console to catch on fire

Linguica posted:

you signed a ToS that gives Microsoft the right to do anything they want

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people have sued for stuff like that but it ends up settling and the lawyers get all the money, e.g. sony will give you like $12 if you can prove you installed linux on your ps3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't all those tos have an arbitration clause now too? like, you can't even sue them anymore

also, lol if you think consumer protections exist in trump's america

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

people have sued for stuff like that but it ends up settling and the lawyers get all the money, e.g. sony will give you like $12 if you can prove you installed linux on your ps3
and also only in the eu, where consumer protection laws exist

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the us is a nation of arbitrary arbitration

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

Microsoft is planning to kill off one of the more unique features of its Xbox One dashboard: snap mode. The software giant originally introduced snap mode as a method to watch TV or run an app side-by-side with a game. Microsoft is now on a mission to improve dashboard speed and multitasking, and snap mode is being removed to help improve the overall dashboard lag.

Xbox Platform head Mike Ybarra revealed the change on Twitter yesterday, noting that “we replaced Snap to improve multitasking, reduce memory use, improve overall speed, and free up resources going forward for bigger things.” It’s not clear what those “bigger things” are just yet, but rumors have suggested Microsoft might opt for some type of picture-in-picture mode to let universal apps run alongside games.
yes, a good way to speed up multitasking is to remove it entirely.

also to throw your xbone in the garbage because that's what it is

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

also to throw your xbone in the garbage because that's what it is

theres a lot of dumb bullshit with the ps4 but not having to deal with microsoft is the best argument it has

imagine how lovely it would be to own an xbone or pc why even live

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i, for one, remain convinced that "project scorpio" will fix all of the issues with the old xbone,

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ps4 is trash

pc and nintendo gaming devices supremacy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

remember when project natal revolutionized console gaming and living-room entertainment

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/824351292730515456

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

duTrieux. posted:

remember when project natal revolutionized console gaming and living-room entertainment

someone saw a picture of a tv with a coat hanger stuck to it and the rest you know

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/msphilanthropic/status/825784327321497600

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i miss logo sometimes

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
microsoft's getting rid of office 2013 from office 365 in a month and people are going to flip their poo poo when they find out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What is removed with 2013?

• Locked thread