Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Researching John Kricfalusi after this week's events is making me feel really gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, John K is a strange man. It's probably the force of his personality that got his work noticed and on TV though, even if his personality was also what got him kicked off a lot of projects and screwed up a lot of his personal relationships.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

Researching John Kricfalusi after this week's events is making me feel really gross.

This week's events? I googled and I'm not sure what you mean.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

This week's events? I googled and I'm not sure what you mean.

Me neither. I thought he just became an internet hermit.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015
Samurai Jack debut on March 11.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/samurai-jack-new-episodes-debut-march-11-147940.html

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That behind-the-scenes feature was really neat. And them character designs was baller as gently caress! :swoon:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oscar noms are out:

quote:

Animated feature:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini
The Red Turtle
Zootopia

Animated short:

Blind Vaysha
Borrowed Time
Pear Cider and Cigarettes
Pearl
Piper

This should basically guarantee a Zootopia win, no?

EDIT: Kubo also gets a visual effects nom. Moana and Trolls get music noms.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 24, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope Moana beats out La La Land for Best Original Song. It'd give Lin-Manuel Miranda the PEGOT.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am... sincerely super surprised Dory got cut. :stare:

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

Fangz posted:

Oscar noms are out:

This should basically guarantee a Zootopia win, no?

EDIT: Kubo also gets a visual effects nom. Moana and Trolls get music noms.

Red turtle should win, in my opinion. It's a beautiful piece of art.
My Life as a Zucchini is great and it's Claude Barras first film which is really awesome but not an oscar winner.
Zootopia was fun and all but far from an oscar.
Kubo and the Two Strings I didn't see it ("shame!")
Moana neither this one

What are your prognosis?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

devilwu posted:

My Life as a Zucchini is great and it's Claude Barras first film which is really awesome but not an oscar winner.
Zootopia was fun and all but far from a[b]n oscar.
[b]Kubo and the Two Strings
I didn't see it ("shame!")
[b]Moana
neither this one

What are your prognosis?

What happened here

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

Macaluso posted:

What happened here

Video rendering the computer was lagging as hell so I failed my copy/paste ("shame!" n°2)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

devilwu posted:

Moana neither this one

What are your prognosis?

Oscar wins don't reward individual artistic beauty because they are voted for by non-experts. So Zootopia and Moana and to a much lesser extent Kubo are the only options with any real hope. Zootopia is a good movie with a good message, so it's a nice pick especially now, and it did better than Moana. I'm pretty happy with Zootopia winning also.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm happy to see The Red Turtle and My Life as a Zucchini get nominations because they're both tremendous films, but I can't see any way for either one to win. It'll be down to Moana and Zootopia.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the Animated Feature category ever having an underdog win. Maybe Sprited Away beating out Lilo & Stitch counts, but that film was about as high-profile as Japanese animation ever got in the US.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

Maybe Sprited Away beating out Lilo & Stitch counts, but that film was about as high-profile as Japanese animation ever got in the US.

As a stupid little kid, it really bothered me that they gave the award to a foreign movie instead of a movie from Disney, the most American studio. And right after foreigners killed 3000 people, too!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It sort of depends on what you think the Oscars are "for", but I would say Zootopia is the appropriate winner, and that if it hadn't come from Disney but from some no-name studio most people would be in agreement on that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm actually confident that the exact opposite would be the case: If Zootopia were by a 'no-name studio,' whatever that is, it would not actually appear to be that much of an improvement over Home and Madagascar 3 and Kung Fu Panda 3. On the other hand, folks would be more critical of it in the same way they're critical of Kubo.

All of the residual goodwill would just funnel to Moana.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I finally saw Kubo and I don't think it deserves best animated but I'd love to see it get the visual effects award. Laika is basically running up the score on anyone who's ever done stop motion animation at this point. I thought Zootopia was excellent, Moana way too unambitious. Haven't seen the other two. :smith:

I did think the Kubo script was better than the other Laika movies I've seen, if uneven. Hopefully it's the beginning of an upward trend?

My SO is on the Samurai Jack reboot, super excited!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Zootopia absolutely deserves the Oscar this year, but Kubo deserves the visual effect award. That would be the best outcome.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Zootopia absolutely deserves the Oscar this year, but Kubo deserves the visual effect award. That would be the best outcome.

I agree, and think that would be most appropriate.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Paws crossed for Zootopia.

Also, watch their billion dollar, Oscar winning movie still get no merchandise attention from Disney.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hey I just lurk here p much but have a question:
A lot of folks on reddit are annoyed that Your Name didn't get a nomination--was that movie really good, and I should watch it, or is that just weebs bein weebs?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Hey I just lurk here p much but have a question:
A lot of folks on reddit are annoyed that Your Name didn't get a nomination--was that movie really good, and I should watch it, or is that just weebs bein weebs?

It's a good film, but A Silent Voice is better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I spoiled my mom on Ghibli and now any time I show her something animated, she says "I liked it, but I liked the one with the little people better." :allears: And speaking of which, any further news on that film Miyazaki supposedly came out of retirement for?

And a follow-up on this

Unmature posted:

is still very much wanted. What happened.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I spoiled my mom on Ghibli and now any time I show her something animated, she says "I liked it, but I liked the one with the little people better." :allears: And speaking of which, any further news on that film Miyazaki supposedly came out of retirement for?

And a follow-up on this

is still very much wanted. What happened.

Show her Wolf Children?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Good thing: So many people at my work talk about animated films!

Not so good thing: It's invariably in the context of what they take their kids to watch, and any praise boils down to which films were the least annoying to sit through. :sigh:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
And ffs Unmature, what's the Kricfalusi scandal??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eat the eggs, John K.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

devilwu posted:

Moana neither this one

What are your prognosis?

Did Moana even have a message other than "Stay true to yourself" or "Don't be a showoff"?

I like Zootopia for the message as well as being a solid movie in general. Would have been better without the skunk butt rug joke.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Did Moana even have a message other than "Stay true to yourself" or "Don't be a showoff"?

I like Zootopia for the message as well as being a solid movie in general. Would have been better without the skunk butt rug joke.

Moana's message was 'change is decay, tradition is salvation'. It's pretty unambiguous with it, I just get the feeling people expect that kind of golden-age reactionary message to look like Leave it to Beaver so much it doesn't quite compute when covered in brown skin.

and :agreed:

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 24, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Moana's message was 'change is decay, tradition is salvation'. It's fairly emphatic with it, I just get the feeling people expect that kind of golden-age reactionary message to look like Leave it to Beaver so much it doesn't quite compute when covered in brown skin.

and :agreed:

Well, except that, in Moana's case "change" meant isolation and stagnation, ignoring the larger problems that lay ahead in favour of a comfortable life now. "Tradition" meant actually facing your problems and trying to resolve them, even if they seem insurmountable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Phylodox posted:

Well, except that, in Moana's case "change" meant isolation and stagnation, ignoring the larger problems that lay ahead in favour of a comfortable life now. "Tradition" meant actually facing your problems and trying to resolve them, even if they seem insurmountable.

That doesn't contradict his point at all. Obviously Moana presents a return to the mythic past (e: and the humbled abdication of man's mastery over nature, for that matter) as a good thing, but that's the essence of his criticism in the first place.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That doesn't contradict his point at all. Obviously Moana presents a return to the mythic past (e: and the humbled abdication of man's mastery over nature, for that matter) as a good thing, but that's the essence of his criticism in the first place.

I read it as Moana's tribe retreating from change and choosing stagnation and decay over facing a challenging world. And I don't see how it represents an abdication of man's mastery over nature, since part of the movie involved mastering nature through travel. It involved showing respect for nature, yeah. There's probably a thinly veiled metaphor for climate change denial in there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fangz posted:

Show her Wolf Children?

No doubt she'd really enjoy it. She always says her greatest joy in life is her children, so she'd connect in a big way.
Even with the werewolves.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I read it as Moana's tribe retreating from change and choosing stagnation and decay over facing a challenging world. And I don't see how it represents an abdication of man's mastery over nature, since part of the movie involved mastering nature through travel. It involved showing respect for nature, yeah. There's probably a thinly veiled metaphor for climate change denial in there.

Yeah. In the context of Trump and the insular America he's bringing in, the message is pretty clear.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
None of you can think of ANYTHING that happened this week that would make it weird to be reading about a misogynist?

EDIT: Oh, not that he did. All he does not is argue on Twitter, make awful Simpsons couch gags, and steal Kickstarter money.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I am... sincerely super surprised Dory got cut. :stare:
Dory hasn't been in the awards circuit at all, for whatever reasons.

Would love to see My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle win, but Zootopia is as sure a pick for your office's Oscar sweepstakes as any.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

It's a sequel and therefore Bad and Low Art. :colbert:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Would love to see My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle win, but Zootopia is as sure a pick for your office's Oscar sweepstakes as any.

I don't know. The way Disney has been treating Zootopia has really surprised me going by how much it made. In Disney World I saw literally ONE reference to it, which was up in Rafiki's petting zoo place in Animal Kingdom. That requires a train ride to get there. I also saw a drawing at one of the caricature booths, but that's not official merch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Oscars passed it over. A lot of Oscar stuff is very populist, and to someone who doesn't pay attention it could seem like Zootopia isn't that popular. But hey, maybe they'll actually pick the best movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hedrigall posted:

Good thing: So many people at my work talk about animated films!

Not so good thing: It's invariably in the context of what they take their kids to watch, and any praise boils down to which films were the least annoying to sit through. :sigh:

Don't keep us hanging. What was their consensus on the least annoying animated film?