Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

big mean giraffe posted:

If it's necessary for ANYTHING that's loving stupid.

It's necessary to make internet people mad, so I'm ready to give them $5/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Pro Controller is available on Amazon CA at the :canada: pricing.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 24, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Woot 90 bux i'll take 6

honestly though pro controllers are dumb and the launch controls are always better

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

EA is the worst obviously except for *recites long list of good games made by EA*
I'm not being a hyperbolic nerd when I say I couldn't tell you the last thing EA did recently. I just remember Simcity 5 being a huge disaster and pointing in laughing since it's EA of course they managed to gently caress up Simcity. So yeah if they accidentally made something good feel free to hit me with it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Woot 90 bux i'll take 6

honestly though pro controllers are dumb and the launch controls are always better

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=90&From=CAD&To=USD

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

glassyalabolas posted:

Pro Controller is available on Amazon CA at the :canada: pricing.

lol @ the category:

Video Games › More Systems › Commodore Amiga › Accessories

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fifa will be good if you have to strap the joy cons to your feet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So the idea of the right or left joycon being different depending on game because they could bundle that. Did that die because a single half would cost about half the price of the game?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Yes I am aware of the value of my dollar

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jimmy Hats posted:

Woot 90 bux i'll take 6

The Xbox Pro controller is really nice. The switch pro controller also looks much better than hooking 2 joycons together.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Megasabin posted:

The Xbox Pro controller is really nice. The switch pro controller also looks much better than hooking 2 joycons together.

I'm the #1 fan of wiimote and nunchuck and I plan to use my joycons the same way, so I guess maybe I am a weirdo or something???

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pixaal posted:

So the idea of the right or left joycon being different depending on game because they could bundle that. Did that die because a single half would cost about half the price of the game?

Looks like it, yeah. There's always a chance that there will be limited editions of games that will come with a left or right Joycon with a design or even a different button layout but I don't see a bundle like that coming in at under $100.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

Woot 90 bux i'll take 6

The joycons don't have a d-pad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Takoluka posted:

It's necessary to make internet people mad, so I'm ready to give them $5/month.

This is consistently among the stupidest justifications for anything I see on these forums

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spellman posted:

I mean if you were ever hoping for Mario to explore unique worlds the likes of Pumpkin Zone.

I hope the background music is really out of place spooky rap

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Evil Eagle posted:

The joycons don't have a d-pad.

Left joycon has a button cross. What's the functional difference? You have that for 4 way movement or the stick for 360, same as every other controller.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

pixaal posted:

I think they have their hands full with two types of joycon, both from a manufacturing perspective and a marketing perpsective. Adding more types beyond "the left one" and "the right one" would be a bad idea this early on.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is consistently among the stupidest justifications for anything I see on these forums

It is also a joke! That works!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jimmy Hats posted:

Left joycon has a button cross. What's the functional difference? You have that for 4 way movement or the stick for 360, same as every other controller.

Lol is this for real

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimmy Hats posted:

Surely you can't be serious.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm totally serious though. I mean you guys can buy your pro controllers I guess??

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jimmy Hats posted:

I'm totally serious though. I mean you guys can buy your pro controllers I guess??

Yes, I'm sure this tiny plus button is a functional D-pad

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Roadie posted:

Yes, I'm sure this tiny plus button is a functional D-pad

He said the button cross on the left controller. I mean I don't really agree with him that it's an acceptable alternative, but to be fair, he is no talking about the tiny plus sign.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I can't believe this thing has a mini dpad! Nintendo, Masters of innovation.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wanna see Jimmy Hats play Street Fighter 2 with that D-pad. :v:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol that you guys thought I was talking about the cross button and not the button cross haha

Also I said left

E: And I could totally use that cross button to play street fighter 2. Everybody knows all you need to win in the game is the ability to press forward and heavy punch to do throws over and over again.

I used to play turbo2 hd online and get hate messages and poo poo because I used throws. Street fighter 2 is a good game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah I'm not sure why it matters if it's a DPad or four buttons (a DPad is just a plastic cross on top of four buttons). It will do all the things a dpad can do.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why it matters if it's a DPad or four buttons (a DPad is just a plastic cross on top of four buttons). It will do all the things a dpad can do.

Idk its pretty self apparent if you spend any time with a game that requires precise dpading

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

If the Switch is docked, no problem. But if I'm trying to do local coop with somebody using the 2 JoyCons I'm not sure how something like Street Fighter would work.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I'm the #1 fan of wiimote and nunchuck and I plan to use my joycons the same way, so I guess maybe I am a weirdo or something???

I loved this layout too just keep both hands resting on your knees was so nice. idiots who held them in the air got tired. I loved it in Mario Cart, it was my preferred controller even over GCN the greatest controller ever. Mostly due to how easy it was to pull off jump tricks.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

He said the button cross on the left controller. I mean I don't really agree with him that it's an acceptable alternative, but to be fair, he is no talking about the tiny plus sign.

I'd prefer a conventional d-pad too but it's pretty similar to what Sony was doing for years so it doesn't bother me that much. It's still an improvement over the Xbox 360 garbage d-pad.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Wonder how SF2 is going to play with those 4 buttons. Real talk I know people who seriously want to and are planning to lug around a loving hori fightstick with the switch in portable mode.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jimmy Hats posted:

Nah, this was super comfy and it was the best controller option, especially for mario kart.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Why do people keep thinking the tiny plus sign on the Right JoyCon is a d-pad when it's just a marking like the minus sign on the Left JoyCon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Why do people keep thinking the tiny plus sign on the Right JoyCon is a d-pad when it's just a marking like the minus sign on the Left JoyCon

Because that's been the indicator of a directional pad across dozens of systems for 30 years?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The D-buttons on the left joycon will be fine for games that only use the D-pad for stuff like inventory, weapons, and other UI elements. And that's actually a lot of modern games.

If you're going to be making heavy use of the Virtual Console, though, a Pro makes sense to get.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because that's been the indicator of a directional pad across dozens of systems for 30 years?

The last two Nintendo consoles have used +/- buttons as start/select, and so does this one. Did you seriously actually think it was a D-pad?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm also of the firm opinion that fighting games that are released on consoles but not designed with the console's controller in mind are hot garbage. I especially love KoF14 having 'only on ps4!' on the box but still requiring double half turns and poo poo to do moves, making it pretty much unplayable on a dualshock4, while Netherrealm figured out how to make console fighting games that actually work 6 years ago.

Fightsticks can burn in nerd hell with pro controllers, racing game foot pedals, and that guitar hero attachment for the DS.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jimmy Hats posted:

Lol that you guys thought I was talking about the cross button and not the button cross haha

Also I said left

E: And I could totally use that cross button to play street fighter 2. Everybody knows all you need to win in the game is the ability to press forward and heavy punch to do throws over and over again.

I used to play turbo2 hd online and get hate messages and poo poo because I used throws. Street fighter 2 is a good game.

No I knew you meant buttons, but that's still so dumb I thought you could be joking :shrug:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

And it's also way bigger and always on the left. I mean unless you walk around pushing every plus sign you encounter wondering why it's not a d-pad, I'm not sure how you could be dumb enough to think that tiny thing was a d-pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

They're just presenting alternative facts about the controller, jeeze.

• Locked thread