Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

padijun posted:

those are the guys who got really mad at HH for making fun of their friend who writes thousands of songs about poop

yeah that's him, and Matt Farley is a cool dude with an immense backlog of great music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx4GKoFBtos

he provided a vast array of songs suitable for literally every occasion and earlier bone zone episodes used him well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember them running those ads on HH and I don't remember them being that mean.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember them running those ads on HH and I don't remember them being that mean.

Sean read the first one in a disgusted, "This is not a bit, this is literally how desperate our show is for advertisers" way. Apparently the guy who wrote "I Pee When I Poop (But Not the Other Way Around)" didn't see the humor in that.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Thats the beauty of the HH ad reads. They really engage and spend time and craft something that hooks their listener while also letting those listeners know that they hate your product.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I skip through every HH episode in the hope of getting an update on the Santaman-dead-girl storyline.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
Did anybody else make jump from the Hello from the Magic Tavern CBB ep to the actual HftMT podcast?

I did, and it's really grown on me. I love how the show turns into a very CBB-like constant making GBS threads on the host by the other guests, but with wizards.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

The Action Man posted:

Did anybody else make jump from the Hello from the Magic Tavern CBB ep to the actual HftMT podcast?

I did, and it's really grown on me. I love how the show turns into a very CBB-like constant making GBS threads on the host by the other guests, but with wizards.

I listened to Hello till it moved to earwolf, If you start from the beginning it wears a little thin, especially Chunt.
But it was Magic for a very long time!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I got about 20 episodes in before it started really grating on me, but had a good time up until then. Chunt and Usidore can both get really obnoxious at times, and their bits are so, so repetitive. The show also cares waay too much about its own mythology and storyline as it goes. It works much better when they focus on interviewing the various characters and getting into the makeup of its world rather than delving into the main cast's backstories or trying to set up anything serialized.

I'll still pop in for a listen occasionally, but I had my app start each episode at 3 minutes so I can skip Usidore's name bit, which continues to not be funny week-to-week.

e: Listened to their first Offices & Bosses episode on Howl on a lark. Was pretty fun.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I'm 38 episodes in, and I'm still loving it, including Usidore's ridiculously long name. I think I just really like making fun of fantasy tropes with weird improv.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Rene Faberge!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

The Action Man posted:

I'm 38 episodes in, and I'm still loving it, including Usidore's ridiculously long name. I think I just really like making fun of fantasy tropes with weird improv.

Thanks to the CBB spot, this is now one of my favorite shows. The Usidore song was one of my favorite and most unexpected moments in podcasts.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The original earwolf advertisements for this podcast made me think it sounded super dumb and I had no interest in it

I ended up trying to listen to it anyway out of boredom, but it felt like those early episodes were being carried almost entirely by Matt Young's energy

But then something clicked when I got to the Boy's Night episode and there was good run without too much Yes And Worldbuilding ("Oh Chuntttttt offhandedly said that the guest's hat and therefore all hats are actually forged from dead beetles so now we need to make callbacks to beetle hats in every episode forever because it's established mythos). Im only up to the One Year episode and there have been some hilarious ones, and for the dull ones at least they're short enough that I can zone out and move onto the next one pretty easily.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Episode 59, Dr. Ward, is a must-listen. If you're skipping around Hello From The Magic Tavern episodes, don't miss that one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Jon Gabrus's ep is a recentish one that I really liked.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

LentThem posted:

The original earwolf advertisements for this podcast made me think it sounded super dumb and I had no interest in it

I ended up trying to listen to it anyway out of boredom, but it felt like those early episodes were being carried almost entirely by Matt Young's energy

But then something clicked when I got to the Boy's Night episode and there was good run without too much Yes And Worldbuilding ("Oh Chuntttttt offhandedly said that the guest's hat and therefore all hats are actually forged from dead beetles so now we need to make callbacks to beetle hats in every episode forever because it's established mythos). Im only up to the One Year episode and there have been some hilarious ones, and for the dull ones at least they're short enough that I can zone out and move onto the next one pretty easily.

Boy's Night was when I realized that I just liked the hosts hanging out with each other. It's a dynamic that really grew on me in the first dozen or so episodes.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
So the CBBtv tribute panel happened, and Scott/Neil revealed that Joanna Newsom auditioned and basically had the part of bandleader for the fifth season.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
Dang that would've been cool.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So today's episode wasn't great.

I'll tell you what I'm rewatching that is great however: Comedy Bang! Bang! the TV show. If you don't like it then you look like doo doo and you eat doo doo and smell like doo doo and you are doo doo, because you are what you eat and you eat doo doo.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

when the guy playing a character spoke before his character was supposed to show up, i was surprised scott aukerman did not murder him right there in the studio

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

cams posted:

when the guy playing a character spoke before his character was supposed to show up, i was surprised scott aukerman did not murder him right there in the studio

Everyone dies in Rogue one

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like the TV show. I'd like it more if every episode was an extended cut with more improvised interview bits.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

piratepilates posted:

So today's episode wasn't great.

It's a real shame that Scheer's character didn't really start to click until the last 5 minutes.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

The Action Man posted:

It's a real shame that Scheer's character didn't really start to click until the last 5 minutes.

For me, Scheer is just always a delight throughout. He jumps on threads with such glee and enthusiasm — it really sells it for me.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

For me, Scheer is just always a delight throughout. He jumps on threads with such glee and enthusiasm — it really sells it for me.

Scheer is always good, but what I meant was that he wasn't clicking with the other guests till the very end which is probably more them than him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hot Takerman enters the political ring;
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/825412656215396352

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/825828673001435136

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Ming and Rachel Bloom doing a British accent for some reason... This is rough.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Sorry but Ming is good.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Apology not accepted.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should keep listening because Atamanuik's character is extremely good

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

You should keep listening because Atamanuik's character is extremely good

He is running circles around Rachel Bloom with the same type of character, god drat. Throwing in random deep cut star trek references and yes-and'ing every premise like it was the truth.

Edit: this has gone off the rails and it is great

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 30, 2017

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
As soon as the fake British accent started, instant fast forward.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Well it's the Alternative Facts and we got a big crowd

Bigger than Obama's now

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ming owns

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Ming blows

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Everyone was actually good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I don't know what it is about Ming, I may just be super racist or something, but I enjoy him and I'm not completely sure why. I think Jeremy Rowley just has a nice sing song-y way of doing his voice.

Rachel Bloom was a pretty poo poo character though.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ming is great. I like a low-key character that forces Scott to be more involved, especially when the character pushes back and puts Scott on the defensive

Rachel committing to a British voice from the jump was probably regrettable, but it led to good stuff with Atamanuik's character

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scott should have a sign he can point to like "No Stairway To Heaven" in Wayne's World, but reading "No celebrity guests in character."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ming is a weird character because there's nothing stereotypical about him besides his accent, kind of, but then why do the accent in the first place? Anyway I like him.