Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
That tweet is priceless marketing. I am MoMA's now weekly meltdowns when CIG do something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

As an anti-shop, can somebody please give Shaun Tracy some non ridiculous hair

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Chalks posted:

How about we see zero pictures of people at work and more actual results of that work such as a single design document for promised features, a vertical slice or a single piece of loving gameplay from this single player campaign?

Ask yourself why this photo is the only evidence of work being done.

CIG is not Elite. The models are not the same, whereas elite is a build first add later approach.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DapperDon posted:

No, I have not unless you count my own company that has made me a decent living for the past 14 years. Why do you ask?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Guys listen, I know SQ42 wasn't all it was cracked up to be (I personally loved it), but this a first time outing from a rookie studio. Its not really fair to give them so much grief over this. Subsequent games as the team becomes more cohesive should be much better!

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG is not Elite. The models are not the same, whereas elite is a build first add later approach.

Yea, foolish them, laying a functional groundwork before actually expanding scope. What idiots.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's literally what CIG has been doing for years now though. Build modules, release, build the PU, add to PU.

In the beginning the big differrence was CIG was gonna release SC as the full game while Elite was gonna expand over time. That quickly changed when CIG realized that meant backers would see nothing for 8-10 years.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok. So why this photo is the only evidence of work being done?

How come we're not seeing more actual results of that work such as a single design document for promised features, a vertical slice or a single piece of gameplay from this single player campaign?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tippis posted:

Ok. So why this photo is the only evidence of work being done?

How come we're not seeing more actual results of that work such as a single design document for promised features, a vertical slice or a single piece of gameplay from this single player campaign?

Because they don't have any of these things?

Oh wait, they do have all these things, they just can't show them to anyone because they have the most open development ever

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

ManofManyAliases posted:

I like CIG's approach of sell ships, sell some more, have another sale, then when the money runs out try to make a game. Truly innovators in their field.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Anus Man posted:

Star Citizen is not Elite. Elite is a game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

gently caress them for trying right?

Give more.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Every time they find a problem they can't solve Sean Tracy rubs his head.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
MoMA I know plenty of people are lining up to do take-downs on you but...

ManofManyAliases posted:

but yeah - immediately peg the negative.

ManofManyAliases posted:

You never worked in a start-up, have you?

When faced with a company with hundreds of millions of dollars, located in multiple countries worldwide, with hundreds of employees, working with the studios that did the Lord of the Rings and has been in operation for more than four years but has delivered nothing

do you

A) Call them a start-up because that's a pamphlet talking point and makes them look favorably, excusing their non-delivery.

or

B) Call them a company with hundreds of million in revenue, located in multiple countries worldwide, with hundreds of employees, working with the studios that did the Lord of the Rings and has been in operation for more than four years but has delivered nothing

Maybe don't "immediately peg the positive" in such an obviously delusional way. At this point you can replace your posts with "I paid $8,000 for a videogame" and get across the same amount of stupidity.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
is that what they meant by a Hairy Roberts?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

They anit working with any studio that did Lord of the Rings.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

If you are going that route, Goons financed and made swap.avi.
1 out of 2 is still better than 0 out of 2 from CIG.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Poor MoMAToast keeps getting more aggressive. I hope everything is okay

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

gently caress them for trying right? If they play around in a live stream or photo, they get chastised for acting like retards and not paying attention to developing a game. If they get serious, focused and look like they're actually concerned in a meeting, they get chastised for doing so.

:qq:

really tho you know what'll cheer 'em up moma, put another jav on your expense account

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Daztek posted:

Poor MoMAToast keeps getting more aggressive. I hope everything is okay

Nah. Where would the fun be in that?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

happyhippy posted:

If you are going that route, Goons financed and made swap.avi.
1 out of 2 is still better than 0 out of 2 from CIG.

I hope there are some people who have never heard of swap.avi and are now going to look it up.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

Imagine if CIG hired a competent, professional marketer, with the instructions to show their backers all the progress and work going toward Star Citizen. Then think how long it would take this professional marketer to realize that CIG is not making any progress worth reporting, and that it's not actually a real game development company, but rather a large group of industry wannabes given over $140 million to enact a multinational piece of wish-fulfillment performance theater.

Enter The Dragon, the "best marketer since she was a very small girl" who equates tweeting with work, meetings with progress, and attention with success. It's to the point where I'm half-expecting a tweet of a turd floating in a toilet bowl with the caption "Network engineer getting ready to flush this morning's donuts!"

Sandi was given an impossible task: keep backers aware of our progress. It takes someone this incompetent to do the impossible; she's too dumb to fail. Hence we get regularly scheduled humor nuggets. I, for one, am glad of it.

To be fair to CIG, they put enormous effort into showing their backers the heaps and mounds of content they haven't done, remember the Road to Citizencon

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

To be fair to CIG, they put enormous effort into showing their backers the heaps and mounds of content they haven't done, remember the Road to Citizencon
http://i.imgur.com/2FtNhYY.mp4

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Star Citizen, by contrast, is an add first, add later approach

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

You never worked in a start-up, have you?

So CIG is still classed as a start-up after 5 years? It explains a lot tbh.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

his nibs posted:

As an anti-shop, can somebody please give Shaun Tracy some non ridiculous hair

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Star Citizen, by contrast, is an add first, add later approach

jpeg first, sell it, make it - so it doesnt match jpeg, say gently caress it and patch it in the game. win.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I feel sorry for the people on the other end of that conference call. If Roberts' shorts are too tight, they're going to get a great outline of his genitals. Too loose, and they might well be looking directly at his personal Vanduul ship-starting spear.

Dude should have wooed Ginger Lynn when he made Wing Commander III.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

gently caress them for trying right?

It's not that they're trying, it's that they're failing.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Much more sensible thanks

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

One of the better gifs

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

Nah. That's not the hilarious part. The hilarious part is that, if they actually pushed this concept — the unanchored player-centric space as the subjective “scene” — then they wouldn't even need all the other fancy tech they've been talking about. They wouldn't need 64bit positioning because nothing in that subjective space would require that precision. They wouldn't need local physics grids, because you are only ever exactly where you are and everything else is just Algebra 101 base transforms. What they'd need is the exact thing they're not doing: highly customised and hardened server code running on custom hardware to deal with the (relatively) low-data, but matrix-operation-heavy requirements of keeping track of everyone. :D

Isn´t that the way Elite does it actually? As far as I know the local Elite instance where players are is really a bubble (an "island" in FDEV dev speech) that loads everything around the player and does not need 64b precision. The "island" itself moves within the 64b precision maps that are Elite full scale 1:1 star systems (including planetary surfaces) etc.

Is SC megamap thingy a dynamic instance that moves within somehting else? How does megamap handles a ship moving in quantum?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

scrubs season six posted:

It's not that they're trying, it's that they're failing.

Also, it's questionable whether they're actually trying.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If we use our powers for good, can we persuade Sean to shave his head?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

To be honest, Sean needs to pick up a copy of this:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Kosumo posted:

They anit working with any studio that did Lord of the Rings.

They have been going to the imaginarium repeatedly for years and using / working with Andy Serkis.

I just didn't realize that it was even more expensive than what was used on the Lord of the Rings since Andy Serkis opened it up after those movies were complete.

quote:

Filmography

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Fine "Most expensive motion capture in the world even more expensive than filming lord of the rings" then.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Never forget. This shite, which nobody has seen since Oct 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I can't wait until Megamap is added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

Elite is "build a solid foundation first and then continue to build on it with small alterations when necessary"

SC is "Build the 4th, 5th and 7th floor at the same time while ignoring the foundation because we can always go back and fix that later. Whats that nothing fits? Make it fit!"