Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Downloading some custom comedy voice packs has increased my enjoyment of the game more than I thought it would. It's just less devastating to miss a critical shot of activate a bad pod when Homer Simpson or the lead guy from Far Cry: Blood Dragon are the ones commenting on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jose posted:

Psi units are ridiculous. Doing the last mission and I dominated the gatekeeper right at the start then managed to get another mind control with insanity a few turns later followed by a 3rd mind control with void rift the turn after that

Does mind control last forever? Just one unit under your influence at a time? I got psi-troopers super late.

I had a hell of a time on the last mission as my rangers were both mind controlled at one point.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AngryBooch posted:

Does mind control last forever? Just one unit under your influence at a time? I got psi-troopers super late.

I had a hell of a time on the last mission as my rangers were both mind controlled at one point.

Mind Control lasts 2-3 turns and is a random result of an insanity roll.

Dominate lasts the entire mission but is a 1/mission ability.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm having a whole bunch of issues getting mods to work with LW2. Anything beyond the base game is making all of the options settings not show up, as well as making the world map uninteractable.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Can't figure out if the LW2 patch is going to corrupt an in-progress campaign when it lands.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
XCOM mind control lasts forever, alien mind control will eventually break.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

AngryBooch posted:

Remember that flash banging the sectoid doing the mind control will break it.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I kinda want to try out these new classes that LW2 put in, like Technicals which are apparently fun. But I don't want to actually download LW2 because I am bad at XCOM 2. Decisions decisions.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I kinda want to try out these new classes that LW2 put in, like Technicals which are apparently fun. But I don't want to actually download LW2 because I am bad at XCOM 2. Decisions decisions.

LW2's difficulty on Rookie is very, very manageable. I got a couple of months into a Rookie campaign and eventually restarted on Veteran because I was finding it too easy, something I never would have said about LW1 even with all the possible handicaps on.

I like my XCOM but I'm not a tactical genius by any means. Give it a try on Rookie and see how you get on with it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

There's the Long War Perk Pack which adds all the classes (except Technical, not sure if they're going to update it).

I'm in the same boat where I don't really care about the grand strategy layer and it sounds like more hassle than it's worth. So I'll probably just download all of Pavonis' Long War Mods except LW2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Technicals aren't really fun. Rocket Scatter is as terrible as ever and Rockets doing 2-7 damage makes them incredibly swingy. Flamethrowers are even more useless than vanilla until Amerini puts in a fix as they have all the vanilla drawbacks of poo poo damage, not affecting half the aliens, barely any panic chance and being unable to hit anything in cover along with reduced range.

The rest are in the Long War 2 Perk pack, except for SPARKs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay now I'm having this poo poo issue even with unmodded LW2 off a fresh install, new campaign. I get through gatecrasher, do all the avenger cutscenes, and then when I go to the map I am able to unlock the black market and then nothing. I can't move back to the haven, I have no way of progressing time, nothing can happen.

I do not own any of the DLC, and that is the only thing I can think of that would be causing LW2 to gently caress my game up this much, but it worked fine when LW2 first released and I got several missions into a campaign before deciding to try modding it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are any of their older mod packs necessary or are they rolled into this

dyzzy posted:

They're rolled in.

Most mods aren't rolled into LW, and the LW devs have said they don't plan to include many since Xcom2 is very modular with mods. There's some reccomended mods here:
http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23558&sid=029cc87eb3f4123a38b5fee026a1b985#p25865
I think the flank previewer is especially useful

Exposure posted:

I'm kinda pretty incredibly annoyed that graze banding not only applies to normal weapon shots, but to shots from weapons that have "Undodgeable" active like the Bolt Caster.

Like I know the dev I talked to about it just tried to play it off as "it's undodgeable, not ungrazeable" but I'm pretty sure nobody in the world took that meaning like that, and honestly it kinda wrecks the Boltcaster's shtick since it's one thing minus the aim bonus is that when it hits, it hits like a goddamn freight train to make up for its vanilla one round magazine.

Why not just down Graze down/off? It's in the options menu, along with a bunch of Second Wave options.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AngryBooch posted:

dominate lasts an entire mission but the other ridiculous thing about psi-troopers is that they can learn every single skill so they've got really good active and passive skills.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Any idea how I hire new soldiers in LW? I assume it's when I set guys to the "recruit" job, but I think that might only make the haven grow?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

Why not just down Graze down/off? It's in the options menu, along with a bunch of Second Wave options.

Because after my initial annoyance, I don't find it that bad for the normal weaponry, I just hate that it still applies even to weaponry that shouldn't really be affected by it.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any idea how I hire new soldiers in LW? I assume it's when I set guys to the "recruit" job, but I think that might only make the haven grow?

Black market (they cost supplies in here now) or Avenger recruit menu, I don't think there's anywhere else.

That said the recruit job helps with that, basically every once in a while instead of a new rebel, it gets a new soldier recruit to hire through the Avenger menu.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You're supposed to be getting more actual recruits during resistance rescue missions (eg, extra rookies), but until the patch comes out you're sorta SOL. I think in my game (which is on month 4 or 5) I've managed to get maybe 10 recruits that weren't purchased through the black market.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This thread is kinda handy (tactical changes):
http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23382

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Zore posted:

Technicals aren't really fun. Rocket Scatter is as terrible as ever and Rockets doing 2-7 damage makes them incredibly swingy. Flamethrowers are even more useless than vanilla until Amerini puts in a fix as they have all the vanilla drawbacks of poo poo damage, not affecting half the aliens, barely any panic chance and being unable to hit anything in cover along with reduced range.

The rest are in the Long War 2 Perk pack, except for SPARKs.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23589

Amineri is fixing the Flamethrowers up. I hope this means I'll be using it more often because it sure as hell beats Trench Gun by the looks of it.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I looked through the Long War 2 change list to see if they made psionics harder to access, because getting psionics before decent equipment was a lot of fun in vanilla. I didn't see it anywhere, so I went for it. It turns out they have changed the research requirements, but I have no idea to what, and it's nowhere on their forums, or steam, so I'm up a fruitless research creek. What do LW2 psionics need? I want my expensive brain lasers and alien mind cocaine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lunethex posted:

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23589

Amineri is fixing the Flamethrowers up. I hope this means I'll be using it more often because it sure as hell beats Trench Gun by the looks of it.

Its at least two patches away though, he already said it won't be in 1.1.

Something with how he did it in those screenshots caused enormous in-battle lag.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So taking a second look at how they implemented steady weapon, I just realized that it would have no effect on how rocket scatter is calculated.

So barring perks, all you got is your soldier's base aim stat + Aim PCSes to affect it.

Guess I'm installing my scatter mod then.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Zore posted:

Its at least two patches away though, he already said it won't be in 1.1.

Something with how he did it in those screenshots caused enormous in-battle lag.

WELP :sigh:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

StringOfLetters posted:

What do LW2 psionics need? I want my expensive brain lasers and alien mind cocaine.

Sectoid corpses autopsied, basically.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Bogart posted:

Played for about six hours. Coming in with a spring in my step and a song in my heart best I could, I do not like LW at all. Started writing down this list in case I wanted to bite into the .inis and make a Softer War, but the more I played, the more I realized the problems go beyond what basic tweaks could fix. ANYWAY, here's my list, in case I want to go back to it. I am not saying that people who like LW are wrong, just that my problems here outweigh my enjoyment of the LW experience.

Needs:
+1 turn for Flashbangs
No fuckin shoot n scramble
No Skyranger delay
Lower costs across the board
Actual explanation of excising Advent from a Region
Actual explanation of basically any of the new mechanics, cause what the gently caress
Less useless Gunners. GOD gunners suck

Wants:
Better destruction for basic nades
Less pods, less per squad (or at least useful explanation of Advent Activity. 'Light' does not 15 soldiers make. Does the Shadow Chamber predict numbers?)
Rename them Scouts or Rogues, even.
Maybe like. GTS upgrade for No Muscle Atrophy so you can throw nades every turn.
a better game :(

Less pods would be so broken. Past the first few missions I no longer break concealment on extremely light missions until the hack or objective.

Also you can pop the skyranger whenever and it doesn't cost an action.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Party Plane Jones posted:

Sectoid corpses autopsied, basically.

That's what it takes in vanilla. LW2 psionics apparently want something more, but I can't see what listed anywhere.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Zore posted:

Technicals are great for ambushes. Park em in the path of a patrol when you're still in concealment and open with the flamethrower when they get close. You can kill/incapacitate a whole pod with an alpha strike without setting other pods on alert. It's p sweet. Once the fixes get implemented fix step out and wrapping cover, they'll be even better. Rockets are a mixed bag. They're awesome if your tech has high aim but miserable if they don't. Six tile scatter? Fuuuuck yooouuu Johnny lump :argh:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StringOfLetters posted:

That's what it takes in vanilla. LW2 psionics apparently want something more, but I can't see what listed anywhere.

I'm pretty sure I got psionics as a research option after doing a sectoid autopsy (in LW2).

Though it could be there are additional requirements.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So I'm playing through Long War 2, and at what point do I start running into missions where I don't extract? The lack of materials and corpses is starting to hurt since I can't make poo poo without them, and the Black Market is a rip-off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is Grimy's Grime Mod good/balanced w LW2

wasn't a huge fan of it pre long war 2, still not that big of a fan. I like LW2's loot system as is.

Apoplexy posted:

Jesus loving Christ, officers are amazing. Pumping one action point into an assault who missed his point-blank shardgun shot at an ADVENT sergeant? AMAZING.

I've found sharpshooters to be excellent officers as well - the Officer tree has synergy with the holotargeting utility the Sharpshooter provides. Assault Officers are powerhouses, though. Probably my favorite two classes for haven defense.

Oh and Holotargeting doesn't break concealment.

dogstile posted:

Like I said, i'll change my playstyle, but its a nasty surprise.

This is the most important advice for anyone coming in fresh to LW2 - if you play it like Vanilla X Com 2, you're gonna have a bad time.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MadJackMcJack posted:

So I'm playing through Long War 2, and at what point do I start running into missions where I don't extract? The lack of materials and corpses is starting to hurt since I can't make poo poo without them, and the Black Market is a rip-off.

You don't extract on Supply Raid and Ambush missions, but they are rarer and tend to have a lot less infiltration time (especially raids).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You want to do supply raids at or around 100% infiltration, I think. Gives you a ton of corpses as well as supplies and can help slingshot XCom pretty seriously.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Doing supply raids at <10% infiltration gives you a bigger pile of corpses. If you can win.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
With how supply raids lack a timer, it's one of the few mission types I'm willing to do below 100% infilitration, since more enemies just means more corpses and XP to go around, if you got a beefy enough squad (or just approximately all the explosives) to handle it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

MadJackMcJack posted:

Advent activity level 4 or so.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Basic Chunnel posted:

In LW2's defense, I will say that it appears they've removed the AI rubber banding that made sustained stealth essentially impossible in vanilla, and I've yet to see a pod that opened fire or used abilities on someone that wasn't flanked.

The invisible Avatar project, however, can gently caress off

Wow. Seems like LW2 needs a good IN-GAME tutorial that explains whats going on. I didn't even know the avatar project was invisible..

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
In Long War 2, when the liberation mission chain gets to the point of the 'Secure Network Tower' stage, what sort of equipment should I have? It seems to be limited to 5 soldiers, and I can manage an all-lasers squad but I have no armour or much else.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The aliens in the network tower aren't particularly more dangerous, but you're stuck in close quarters and reinforcements pile in fast. Speed is your number one priority, both in terms of movement and in terms of killing.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I liked LW1 a lot and am finding LW2 to be a tremendous pain in the rear end. I don't mind losing soldiers or occasional missions but this burn intel -> 125%/vulnerable infiltration ->"very light" resistance poo poo where oh hey there are multiple pods of mutons, snakes, etc against a squad of 4 is retarded.

Unless I've entirely missed the research branch that provides scanners, I got to full kits of laser weaponry but still had no way to avoid accidentally walking into some unforeseeable line of sight in ways that completely wreck a mission. And once snakes and mutons start showing up, even retreating and trying to survive 3-4 turns until evac comes is nearly impossible unless every soldier is carrying a bouquet of flashbangs and smokes.

Overall the pressure of patrols, turn timers, and the impossibility of fighting your way through even half of the pods when random chance fucks you into a corner halfway to an objective is too much for me. It's not so much challenging or intense as obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Would people generally not recommend playing LW2 with Ironman enabled? Sounds dangerous.