Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rocksicles posted:

Still raised the money bro.

She might have had a positive point total but all that charity work would have resulted in zero points added or lost, based on Eleanor's good deeds for bad reasons not changing her own point total.

Alternately, none of those hard numbers or point increases/decreases are legit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't really give it much thought. It's just sticking up for the sexy skyscraper.

:whiteknight:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tahani can go to my Good Place anytime.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm a sucker for these wholesome witty shows. I wish there were more and I like the trend towards them.

-Ted Danson is fantastic. He reminds me of his performance in Bored To Death. This show fills the hole left in my heart when that was canceled.
-I loved the new actors. They were all rather unique and didn't ring out as stock characters.
-My favourite line of the season was "you sure love your frozen yogurt. have you heard of ice cream?" "yeah you take something perfect and you ruin it a little. like humans do."
-I've ordered a bunch of books on moral philosophy THANKS CHIDI
-"I'm vexed."
-I like how many of the solutions the characters came up with involved hosting parties.
-This could almost be a stand alone season. I hope they bring it back but it felt pretty wrapped up and neat as it is. Like Broadchurch. Except completely opposite.
-evil TD makes me sad. He's so lovely!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not enough people used 'Vexed'.
It's a very Jamaican/west African thing to say.

I blame the French.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
First, updated and presumably completed list

pwn posted:

code:
Episode |  Air  | Uncut

1         22:50 / 26:25
2         21:29 / NA
3         21:35 / 25:04
4         21:31 / 22:43
5         21:32 / 26:29
6         21:30 / 26:32
7         21:30 / 24:25
8         21:28 / 25:25
9         21:31 / 25:04
10        21:31 / 23:58
11        21:28 / 26:43
12        21:30 / NA
13        22:00 / 27:05
12/13     45:20 / NA
Each air show has the credits run over the last seconds of the program, whereas the uncut episodes have the credits after the show has concluded. Each credit roll accounts for roughly 45 seconds of extra time (not including the production tags.)

Besides 2, 4, and 12, the episodes have 2-4 minutes of extra footage each. I'm looking forward to watching them soon.
Second, when comparing the versions of the last two episodes to their broadcast version, I noticed that the end of Chapter 12 was slightly different from the broadcast. Mainly for pacing, but in the process, the last line between Michael and Shawn was cut. I decided to make this video in the interest of curiosity for other fans and possible access to this slightly different version, should one or the other not make the cut in an eventual DVD or Blu-Ray release.

I've made the assumption that the Chapters, as separate episodes, are likely to be chosen for the home video release, an assumption made evident by my labeling of the standalone E12 as "DVD." Of course I have no way of knowing what will happen in the future, so this is more for ease of distinguishing the two cuts from one another than anything else.

https://vimeo.com/200803220

I haven't compared - and don't intend to - the rest of the episode, but based on a glance at the TRT there doesn't appear to be any other changes. Just the ending.

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 25, 2017

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Trivial matter: The font used on the show, Brandon Grotesque Office Bold, is made for office use.

I find it amusing that an apparently office-oriented font is used for this show, which has come to be revealed as a show about office bureaucracy as much as the afterlife.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lampsacus posted:

-I've ordered a bunch of books on moral philosophy THANKS CHIDI

Read the Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals first, and then breathe a giant sigh of relief as you realize nothing else will be as difficult as that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

inthesto posted:

Read the Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals first, and then breathe a giant sigh of relief as you realize nothing else will be as difficult as that.

Terrible, terrible advice for where to begin

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

xeria posted:

She might have had a positive point total but all that charity work would have resulted in zero points added or lost, based on Eleanor's good deeds for bad reasons not changing her own point total.

Alternately, none of those hard numbers or point increases/decreases are legit!

Eleanor's point total wasn't actually changing, it's a trick. Michael tells Tahani that the point totals stop once your dead in the episode where she finds the fake point rankings. Of course, he could be lying about that, but I don't think he was, otherwise you could earn your way into the Good Place after dying. The whole 'get Eleanor points' thing was just manufactured to keep the ruse going and keep them scrambling.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

inthesto posted:

Didn't those 1785 motherfuckers have anything else to worry about?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I love the little things in the show. For the recap of Eleanor's death, there's a magazine w Tahani on the cover while she's waiting in line.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

AbsolutelySane posted:

Eleanor's point total wasn't actually changing, it's a trick. Michael tells Tahani that the point totals stop once your dead in the episode where she finds the fake point rankings. Of course, he could be lying about that, but I don't think he was, otherwise you could earn your way into the Good Place after dying. The whole 'get Eleanor points' thing was just manufactured to keep the ruse going and keep them scrambling.

Their whole idea was that they'd start to count her after-death points to have something to present to the judge. They were aware of the fact that it usually stops when you die.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Rocksicles posted:

I don't really give it much thought. It's just sticking up for the sexy skyscraper.
Every single crack about Tahani's height made me giggle uncontrollably. I don't know why, exactly.

Boy, are Jameela Jamil and Kristen Bell gorgeous (and William Jackson Harper is surprisingly ripped!)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jameela's real accent is pretty funny.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I love the little things in the show. For the recap of Eleanor's death, there's a magazine w Tahani on the cover while she's waiting in line.

And it's the magazine she brings up when talking about her Stem Cell Benefit!

Also Jason guessed the prank show twist; his other guess was alien zoo, which has to be true too. Why else would you have tiny, cordoned off neighborhoods unless you're doing weird social experiments for alien enjoyment? All the demons (besides Shawn) seem obsessed with human culture (the Bad Place people love the Bachelor to the point where it even gets a mention in the official code, the Nixon tapes, jalapeņo poppers, beer, suspenders, Friends) and how people react to different situations/tortures. They invented Janet, but weren't able to make her a close enough approximation to real humans, despite 27 tries (Micheal even tinkers with her personality, but can't figure it out and wasn't able to predict her actions). The real Good Place is where they shuffle off all the perfect people because they're too boring to bother with. That's why they're willing to pour so much effort into a Bad Place for only four people' they're constantly searching for exciting ways to poke the anthill and even participate like in the Black Mirror episode White Bear, which Schur is definitely a fan of, because he did an episode himself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eela6 posted:

Boy, are Jameela Jamil and Kristen Bell gorgeous (and William Jackson Harper is surprisingly ripped!)

I feel like such a dense idiot now, because I was flicking through the channels a short while ago looking for anything to watch and came across Room 101 with Jameela Jamil on as a guest, and the whole time I was watching I kept thinking "man she looks like a real life Tahani". It wasn't till I looked her up a few minutes later out of curiosity that I found out she's the one playing Tahani :blush:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's been interviewing celebrities for years. She looks exactly the same now as she did when she was 23

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

blue squares posted:

Nah. Even in episode 2, he was in character

Wasn't there a throwaway line at one point about how he kept asking for weed from Janet? He could've just been really, really stoned.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a little odd how easily Jason pulls off the stoic monk act early on knowing what we know about him now, but I think it happens in a short enough number of episodes that its not too odd. Like there's a couple of moments where he seems a little too "sage" but I think they did a solid job giving him silly excuses for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure he thinks it was his best con ever "Check it out: I discovered if I'm just really sleepy, I look wise! So I've been playing madden all night instead of sleeping to make myself smarter. Oh and smoking a bunch of weed".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its a little odd how easily Jason pulls off the stoic monk act early on knowing what we know about him now, but I think it happens in a short enough number of episodes that its not too odd. Like there's a couple of moments where he seems a little too "sage" but I think they did a solid job giving him silly excuses for it.

He did only keep up with it for a couple days and he was freaked out during the Ariana Grande bit. And speaking of episode one: "My parents were pretty crummy people, so they're probably both... maybe they're being used to torture each other, that would work!" It's amazing how much better at being Lost this show is than Lost. Also, the first shot is of Elenor opening her eyes and looking up. LOST.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

MiddleOne posted:

Well Chidi is the least bad of them, he did hurt other people but mostly his fault is that he never bettered himself. If we put it within the context of sins his sin was sloth. In comparison, Jason and Eleanor were both intentionally being slothful and additionally they were also greedy. Worst of the bunch is of course Tahani who based her entire adult life around the envy of her sister and reinforcing her vain pride.

There's actually a fair bit of pride in Chidi's life as well. The reason his manuscript is so long is because it's never good enough for him. He sees his work as an extension of himself, and he needs it to be perfect before publishing.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

And it's the magazine she brings up when talking about her Stem Cell Benefit!

Also Jason guessed the prank show twist; his other guess was alien zoo, which has to be true too. Why else would you have tiny, cordoned off neighborhoods unless you're doing weird social experiments for alien enjoyment? All the demons (besides Shawn) seem obsessed with human culture (the Bad Place people love the Bachelor to the point where it even gets a mention in the official code, the Nixon tapes, jalapeņo poppers, beer, suspenders, Friends) and how people react to different situations/tortures. They invented Janet, but weren't able to make her a close enough approximation to real humans, despite 27 tries (Micheal even tinkers with her personality, but can't figure it out and wasn't able to predict her actions). The real Good Place is where they shuffle off all the perfect people because they're too boring to bother with. That's why they're willing to pour so much effort into a Bad Place for only four people' they're constantly searching for exciting ways to poke the anthill and even participate like in the Black Mirror episode White Bear, which Schur is definitely a fan of, because he did an episode himself.

Yes, and of course the world of a Game of Thrones is actually a post-technological apocalypse scenario with dragons being the products of genetic engineering and magic being just manifestations of sci-fi telepathy, telekinesis, and other mind powers. Because we must blithely follow the phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" even when said "magic" defies basic scientific foundations. Or we could just accept that this is a show which creates an ontology which allows for a being that transcends our material universe.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Eleanor hangs up a poster of a mailman to replace the creepy clowns. I think the actor playing her new soul mate is the same one in the picture.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Yes, and of course the world of a Game of Thrones is actually a post-technological apocalypse scenario with dragons being the products of genetic engineering and magic being just manifestations of sci-fi telepathy, telekinesis, and other mind powers. Because we must blithely follow the phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" even when said "magic" defies basic scientific foundations. Or we could just accept that this is a show which creates an ontology which allows for a being that transcends our material universe.

That's the plot of Adventure Time

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

It's also the plot of The Book of the New Sun, but that doesn't mean it's the plot of Game of Thrones.

I apologize for my earlier sarcasm, but I get very frustrated when people won't let fantasy be fantasy, the idea that there has to be a scientistic explanation for fantastical elements in fiction. It's the same mindset that leads people to believe that the supernatural events in the Shining are actually just in Jack Torrance's novel and not therefore "real."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I listed a ton of really specific examples why that would fit in with the show. The neighborhood revolves around only four "real" people and the rest are actors taking delight in torturing the protagonists, which is exactly the plot of that Black Mirror episode. Add that to the fact that Mike Schur wrote the back half of the season after doing his own Black Mirror episode, which itself is beat-for-beat identical in theme and detail to The Good Place, where a rigidly defined mathematical form of morality is forced on people who don't accept it. Jason himself says he thinks the world is an alien zoo or a prank show in episode four; why is it a stretch to think one half of his statement is right and the other is wrong, given the fact the whole show is steeped in ironic foreshadowing?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CountFosco posted:

It's also the plot of The Book of the New Sun, but that doesn't mean it's the plot of Game of Thrones.

I apologize for my earlier sarcasm, but I get very frustrated when people won't let fantasy be fantasy, the idea that there has to be a scientistic explanation for fantastical elements in fiction. It's the same mindset that leads people to believe that the supernatural events in the Shining are actually just in Jack Torrance's novel and not therefore "real."

Oh, maybe I wasn't clear that I don't necessarily think there are aliens on top of the demons. The demons could be literal aliens (they talk about Earth a lot), but they functionally are in their curiosity of and lack of understanding of the human characters.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How great of a twist would it be if at the end of Season 2 they find out that they're still alive and have been abducted by aliens with mind control powers, and they have to find a way to get back to Earth and lead better lives?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's completely crazy to think that aliens will ever factor in to this show at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snak posted:

I think it's completely crazy to think that aliens will ever factor in to this show at all.

I completely agree, but its fun to make up stuff

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ruh roh, we ended up in the alien neighborhood of the good place, thank goodness we picked you up mulder

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What makes transdimensional time-manipulating memory-altering demons so far afield from "aliens"? Greek and Roman gods lived in the stars and manipulated human affairs because they were so transfixed by them, yet not understanding them.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2017

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The Greek gods lived on top of mount Olympus and did whatever they wanted. If you want to couch everything that's supernatural or miraculous in naturalistic terms, feel free, but I wonder if empiricism even means anything anymore if that's the route you want to go down.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

What makes transdimensional time-manipulating memory-altering demons so far afield from "aliens"? Greek and Roman gods lived in the stars and manipulated human affairs because they were so transfixed by them, yet not understanding them.

Conceptually? nothing.

Thematically? Everything.

You'd be mixing two overlapping allegorical frameworks for no clear purpose besides being a twist.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Snak posted:

I bet you would have said that during Season 1 of Fargo, too

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That makes me about as uninterested in Fargo as I could possibly be.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Snak posted:

That makes me about as uninterested in Fargo as I could possibly be.

If you like Coen Bros stuff at all, you're really missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fargo is goddamn fantastic

• Locked thread