Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MacheteZombie posted:

Strange got a nom for visuals.

It deserves it (the nomination, I mean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

ElNarez posted:

Man, Academy Award Nominated Film Suicide Squad was so good. What's your favorite thing about Academy Award Nominated Film Suicide Squad? There's a lot of things I like in Academy Award Nominated Film Suicide Squad. Academy Award Nominated Film Suicide Squad is really one of my favorite superhero movies.

theres something odd about this post but i cant put my finger on it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It deserves it (the nomination, I mean).

Still haven't seen it.

I do think Suicide Squad earned it's nomination for hair/makeup, not sure what the line between costuming and hair/makeup is, but if the got the nom for Croc, Enchantress, and the other members of the Squad I think they deserve it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

but if the got the nom for Croc, Enchantress

It was nominated for Harley and Joker and no one else.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

all-Rush mixtape posted:

There is a 0% chance any movie going forward will be both a 'reboot' and a 'conclusion'.

For real even after Arnold is long gone there'll still be attempts at more Terminator movies. But as far as the story in the movie itself goes, with time travel something can very easily be both of those things. Terminator Salvation is a reboot, prequel and sequel simultaneously. So is Star Trek 09. Terminator Salvation is dogshit awful but still. :P

If Cameron gets TOTAL control of the franchise again instead of the weird way it happened with Terminator 3 and Salvation happened can he refer to or use stuff from any of those movies or Genisys? Like hypothetically could he call Nick Stahl up and just be like "Hi want to play John Connor again?" or give Skynet Helena Bonham Carter's face again or something? Not that that'd be good but how does that work?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jim Starlin posted:

Just received a very big check from D.C. Entertainment for my participation in Batman V Superman, Dawn of Justice (Anatoli Knyyazev), much bigger than anything I've gotten for Thanos, Gamora and Drax showing up in any of the various Marvel movies they appeared in, combined. Guess I'll finally have to sit down and watch the movie.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.starlin.94/posts/1558674220814277

Interesting.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

today i learned kgbeast was in bvs

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat that is interesting. I always thought DC were the ones who were considerably worse about creator compensation, although that might be because they have the highest profile scandal after ripping off Siegel and Shuster for more than half a century.

But drat, good on them for making good at least in this instance.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel have that dispute about paying actors that was only solved because their biggest star RDJ stepped in supporting the other actors. This was when Ike Perlmutter was still in charge of Marvel Studios and that guy is infamous for being cheap.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

drat that is interesting. I always thought DC were the ones who were considerably worse about creator compensation, although that might be because they have the highest profile scandal after ripping off Siegel and Shuster for more than half a century.

But drat, good on them for making good at least in this instance.

Len Wein got more for co-creating Lucius Fox than he did for co-creating Wolverine.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cvnvcnv posted:

It was nominated for Harley and Joker and no one else.

Every character in the film is very vividly designed.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Suicide Squad winning makes sense if you consider that Harley Quinn was this years most popular halloween costume by a huge margin, even among people who had never seen the movie or were even aware of the character.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

A reboot after the last reboot?

Eventually someone is going to make a movie where the franchise reboots again inside the current reboot you're watching

Isn't that exactly what happened in the last one? Timey wimey etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There would have been a lot of really nice crowd pleasing surprises in Genesys had the marketing campaign not spoiled every single one of them weeks or months in advance. As it happened like 99% of the people who saw it knew in advance that it was going to be loving with the original's timeline.

A true reboot within a reboot would have to be a surprise. The Evil Dead franchise could probably pull it off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

A true reboot within a reboot would have to be a surprise. The Evil Dead franchise could probably pull it off.

Isn't that kind of what the 'remake' was since it hinted at Ash having existed?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Evil Dead pretty much DID do an in universe reboot, but not with the movie. Ash vs. Evil Dead can pretty much be considered a soft reboot by itself, and (season two finale) become a hard reboot when they go back in time preventing the events from the original movie from happening including Ash getting his hand back (... For a minute)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Isn't that kind of what the 'remake' was since it hinted at Ash having existed?

If he existed then its just a sequel.

Interesting to hear that the show went into those kind of heavy time travel shenanigans.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Medullah posted:

Evil Dead pretty much DID do an in universe reboot, but not with the movie. Ash vs. Evil Dead can pretty much be considered a soft reboot by itself, and (season two finale) become a hard reboot when they go back in time preventing the events from the original movie from happening including Ash getting his hand back (... For a minute)

Hah! I didn't even think of the show, that's probably a better pick than my Evil Dead remake.

Basebf555 posted:

If he existed then its just a sequel.

Interesting to hear that the show went into those kind of heavy time travel shenanigans.

I recommend the show, it's a blast. 2 seasons, 10 eps each.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Hah! I didn't even think of the show, that's probably a better pick than my Evil Dead remake.

I recommend the show, it's a blast. 2 seasons, 10 eps each.

What sites is it on? I only have Netflix but I've been wanting to check it out. Is it just Starz? Does Amazon have it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

What sites is it on? I only have Netflix but I've been wanting to check it out. Is it just Starz? Does Amazon have it?

Just Starz sadly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Just Starz sadly.

Oh well, Netflix has been going downhill anyway, may just pick up a subscription for a month and take a look. Thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh well, Netflix has been going downhill anyway, may just pick up a subscription for a month and take a look. Thanks!

Yeah its the same price as Netflix for a month so if you don't have much to watch on Netflix at the moment it'd be a decent swap. Starz app as a decent selection of movies and ties into Prime if you want to do that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Blu-Ray of Season 1 was $10 all the time, and I expect Season 2 to be relatively cheap as well, if you can handle prehistoric media viewing experiences.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo. Shyamalan does intend to make a sequel to Unbreakable

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/01/22/spoilers-m-night-shyamalan-split-unbreakable-sequel/96792866/

Well technically he already did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe just spoil the whole post and label it M. Night spoilers?, or better yet delete the entire thing?

It spoils the movie as soon as you click the link.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The article has plenty of warnings about it though?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The article has plenty of warnings about it though?

When combined with your post its pretty impossible to not be spoiled if you click that link.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Or not care that much about a spoiler in a Shymalan movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Or not care that much about a spoiler in a Shymalan movie?

Its a pretty major surprise that I think some people would really enjoy experiencing without knowing it beforehand.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Marvel have that dispute about paying actors that was only solved because their biggest star RDJ stepped in supporting the other actors. This was when Ike Perlmutter was still in charge of Marvel Studios and that guy is infamous for being cheap.

Were the asked salaries that awful and bloated or were Marvel just dumb about messing with their cashcows? Like every time they switch actors most viewers notice, even when it is sidekicks or characters with less impact like Banner. Removing an actor due to budget issues would spell disaster for the Marvel franchise as a whole. It is already hard enough knowing one day soon they will have to replace RD.

Edit: vvvv Yeah, I kept wondering why he would ever quit doing the Captain America thing since it gave him great publicity and shows off his talents, especially to work on something that wasn't an actual acting gig, but I guess money really was an issue which is just weird, given how much those movies made.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 24, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Were the asked salaries that awful and bloated or were Marvel just dumb about messing with their cashcows? Like every time they switch actors most viewers notice, even when it is sidekicks or characters with less impact like Banner. Removing an actor due to budget issues would spell disaster for the Marvel franchise as a whole. It is already hard enough knowing one day soon they will have to replace RD.

My first guess would be that RDJ was making such an obscene amount of money compared to the others, that it was just insulting. So partially out of embarrassment he stepped up and forced a more equitable situation. He was the first one to sign a mega deal, so there was a point where he was making like 30 mil per film and the others were still stuck making like ten times less(depending on the specific actor we're talking about).

Evans especially, I know there was a time there when it wasn't clear if he would stick around past Civil War, and I'm sure that was more about money than anything else. When he first signed on as Captain America he was making nowhere near RDJ money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Maybe he felt bad after what happened with Terrence Howard.

http://screenrant.com/why-terrence-howard-didnt-return-for-iron-man-2-salary/

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Marvel tossed a contract for $250,000 at Mickey Rourke when he was coming off his Oscar nomination for The Wrestler. Downey had to go to bat for him and say "give him at least a million, guys, come on, it's not even a deal with options in it" and Marvel raised the offer.

I think they only paid Sam Jackson like $900,000 per film for his nine movie deal. Mind you the deal was such that if he showed up for thirty seconds or thirty minutes in a movie he got paid the same.

I want to say Evans had the rawest deal of all, since he wasn't on an uptick when he got cast - his initial deal was only for $300,000 with a small bump per following appearance. It was that post-Avengers renegotiation where Downey basically said "pay them more now or I'll sit on my contract until you do".

Even then, Downey is getting $20 million, sometimes $30m, sometimes 40, to do these pictures while Evans floats around $10m.

Methinks Evans needs a new agent.

Comparably Warners pays actors incredibly well, and after settling with HarperCollins/Tolkein's estate to tie off the LOTR royalty lawsuit against New Line, they've clearly put their rear end in gear to pay anyone who has any sort of rights to a character a fair share as well. This has kind of been the Warners m.o. since the Studio Era - pay the talent better, give them more rope than other studios, and they'll flock to you. How else do you think they got Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman to be in a Superman movie?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well yeah, of course RDJ is going to make more. He has to work out like a monster and stay in peak physical condition at all times on and off the set in order to play his part, while Evans just has to be charismatic and snarky, because most of his scenes are CGI anyway, right?

Oh wait...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Didn't almost all the cast turmoil get ironed out approximately 3 seconds after Papa Disney took the MCU away from Perlmutter's control? Not sure why Disney just left that dude in charge of poo poo after he flat refused to make Black Widow action figures despite an actual campaign to get them.

I really hope someone got some points or something on the billion dollar franchise they were being strong armed on prior to Feige gaining control.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Those costumes there look real good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i am in love with what they're doing with cyborg's design here

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fox is moving forward with that X-Men TV series by Burn Notice's Matt Nix. Unlike Legion, it will tie-in with the X-Men movies.

teagone posted:

Those costumes there look real good.

I love the diversity in material and design here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The reds in Cyborg's design remind me of the melt-down Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I was thinking Spider-man 2099.

• Locked thread