Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Why do you like anime? Have you ever run into Nando at an anime convention?

1. I love garbage
2. I don't go to cons.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can somebody please explain the NASCAR rules to me it's incredibly confusing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

loving hell guys I come here to escape real world political bullshit.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Human Grand Prix posted:

No one knows really.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Hollywood should make a moive about Are Bernard.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Agreed. A moive is fitting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm hopeful. New F1 boss has actually identified problems!

Now if he executes the solutions, I'll be pleased.

Barring, of course, Ferrari bribing him.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

wicka posted:

Give me one god drat reason I should feel hopeful about anything right now. Even the loving French are probably going to elect a fascist.

"Even"?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

Almost everything I've heard from Liberty has made me feel pretty at ease:

Chase Carey's bullet point analysis with the problems with F1 as it stands
  • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid.
  • There is a lack of competition on track.
  • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals.
  • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
  • The decision-making process is not working properly.
  • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side.
  • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge.

A BBC article outlining some of what he's said since the deal was completed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38731760

This list is actually pretty good, and even tackling like 3 of these items would make the sport very different. I'm now firmly in the optimistic camp.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Having watched countless illegal streams of NBC's soccer coverage I can definitely say that the Americans do ad breaks better than the rest of the world. I can't wait to miss 3 laps worth of action whilst being told to jack it to a loving Chevy Silverado.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Like a rock

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

lol, the gently caress is this? Some new crime drama starting at 8pm central?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wow I didn't expect this from the leader of the anti-Hamilton faction in this thread

Hmmm actually

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Theophany posted:

Having watched countless illegal streams of NBC's soccer coverage I can definitely say that the Americans do ad breaks better than the rest of the world. I can't wait to miss 3 laps worth of action whilst being told to jack it to a loving Chevy Silverado.

Better than having every ad be an online betting ad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

Better than having every ad be an online betting ad.

TRY DRAFTKINGS FOR FREE!

GIVE FANDUEL A SHOT!

:barf:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
The American ads that tell you to "ask your doctor about medication x today" are really weird to me.

"I, someone with no medical knowledge whatsoever, think you should prescribe me this drug because the television told me so"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bryter posted:

The American ads that tell you to "ask your doctor about medication x today" are really weird to me.

"I, someone with no medical knowledge whatsoever, think you should prescribe me this drug because the television told me so"

It's weird to all of us except the people who now have an iron grip on literally ever government institution.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Probated for rivals.com memes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bernie is a legend. Appalling seeing these bloodless CEOs and businessmen trample his legacy. I'm in tears.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well given that it's in Sky's contract not to show adverts during the race I remain optimistic, also don't the American channels show adverts every 5 laps now anyway? I'm thinking that this is what they mean by going pay per view like they do in Europe (don't forget that C4 had adverts too). It's not paying though the nose either with the new no-contract streaming service Sky have.

E: F1 costs less than MotoGP in the UK.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

Let's discuss your weird anime avatar instead. Why do you like anime? Have you ever run into Nando at an anime convention?

Of course! Their nando is a keen weaboo. Here are his home movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5vJ6A2ZfI

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

lol, the gently caress is this? Some new crime drama starting at 8pm central?

This is Season 2. The main villain from last season has been vanquished by this trio, nicknamed "Eyebrows", "The Stache", and "Glasses". Tune in to see how they make things even tougher for our heroes this season!

Bryter posted:

The best part is the fast-talking run-on list of possible side effects. "May experience bloating, gas, hypertension, severe rashes, increased heart rate, burning urination, emphysema, and sudden death..."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

CratSock posted:

The best part is the fast-talking run-on list of possible side effects. "May experience bloating, gas, hypertension, severe rashes, increased heart rate, burning urination, emphysema, and sudden death..."

Symptoms of being American

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tsaedje posted:

Almost everything I've heard from Liberty has made me feel pretty at ease:

Chase Carey's bullet point analysis with the problems with F1 as it stands
  • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful, to the extent that the smallest teams are struggling to survive and money is tight for about half the grid.
  • There is a lack of competition on track.
  • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets - although this is largely because of a switch to pay television, to make more money from TV rights deals.
  • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
  • The decision-making process is not working properly.
  • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons, disregarding other important factors, such as their effects on the sporting side.
  • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, particularly a sense of edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge.

A BBC article outlining some of what he's said since the deal was completed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38731760

A cool and good list. Guy has a pretty good resume.

I don't know the various groups associated with F1 well enough, I almost assume Bernie is going to weasel his way in somewhere to completely gently caress things up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wild prediction: Bernie will be dead by the first race, thus forcing the first race show of a new era to be entirely about him.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I saw a thumbnail of this image earlier and my first thought was to look at the guy on the left and say 'bloody hell, DC's aged'

Brainwrong posted:

If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

Me too but there's like a 99% chance that Sky's contract has a clause which covers their exclusivity against any digital media coverage. Like at the absolute best you're going to have the Sky commentators and an inflated purchase price to cover the chunk of your money going directly to them as direct compensation for not needing a satellite dish.

They're evil shits but they're not dumb evil shits.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 24, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sky have digital media coverage now though. Sky Go as part of your satellite coverage and Now TV which is no contact streaming. Where it's looking good for the Americans is how close Carey is to Murdock and co. I would wonder if some sort of deal for the American broadcast rights to the F1 channel is already with the lawyers. Practically speaking it's just a case of allowing the yank IPs to use Now TV and making the channel available to them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Counterpoint to the Carey praise: Fox Sports is really bad and the NFL is unwatchable due to ads and unnecessary replays.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brainwrong posted:

If this new dawn means that F1 will have some sort of online pay-per-view subscription service that means I don't need Sky then I will applaud the hairy-lipped overlord.

While that would be nice, but considering Carey started Fox Sports and Murdoch pretty well runs all the Pay TV networks in the world, there's going to be massive conflicts of interest there.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Counterpoint to the Carey praise: Fox Sports is really bad and the NFL is unwatchable due to ads and unnecessary replays.

Yeah, but NFL is pretty well unwatchable no matter what. You need to replays to fill in the gaps when nothing is happening. Which is like 3/4th of the game.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Watching NFL playoff games without the benefit of Red Zone has been a living hell.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ross Brawn has spoken and it is Good.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brawn-simpler-rules-a-key-objective-for-f1-future-868197/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFOvldn_IRw

basically this

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

I'll take FOX over CBS every single time. Everything about CBS coverage is bad. The in-studio hosts, the commentary teams, the music, the graphics... all of it.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Sky have digital media coverage now though. Sky Go as part of your satellite coverage and Now TV which is no contact streaming. Where it's looking good for the Americans is how close Carey is to Murdock and co. I would wonder if some sort of deal for the American broadcast rights to the F1 channel is already with the lawyers. Practically speaking it's just a case of allowing the yank IPs to use Now TV and making the channel available to them.

Using NowTV for F1 is crazy, might as well get the SkySports discounted subscription

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Brawn wants a street race in the USA

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ross the Boss

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

quote:

We need to make sure there is no artificial solutions ... The drag reduction system; everyone knows it's artificial. We need to find purer solutions.

:gizz::gizz::cumpolice::siren::gizz::gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

One can hate Bernie, but he made a lot of money for F1 by charging outrageous hosting fees. Is Liberty willing to take losses on fees to get more US races?

• Locked thread