Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

That's more than one gulp! A gulp is bound by the size of a mouthful unless you're pouring it down your throat without swallowing. In which case, check your DMs.
Step 1: Take a somewhat deep breath, like a 60%er at least
Step 2: don't breathe and pour liquid down throat

You can probably down half a gallon of anything that doesn't cause you to gag this way.

I mean it involves swallowing I guess, but it kinda doesn't because it's continuous and most people would describe this as "one gulp".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Mirthless posted:

They're the collectible plates of the figure world.

My thoughts exactly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you're going to collect poo poo, make sure it's loving cool poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People get weirdly upset about nerds collecting harmless poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khorne posted:

Step 1: Take a somewhat deep breath, like a 60%er at least
Step 2: don't breathe and pour liquid down throat

You can probably down half a gallon of anything that doesn't cause you to gag this way.

I mean it involves swallowing I guess, but it kinda doesn't because it's continuous and most people would describe this as "one gulp".

I admit I underestimated the devotion of FIL-kisser to wine-gulping!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i collect lego

:v:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Some people sneeze when they look directly up at the sun. Involuntary reflex.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex :eng101:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mirthless posted:

Amiibos are OK at least because they have a functional purpose and they're relatively compact.

Funkopops are pretty gigantic for deskbuddy toys and you can't do anything with them. They're the collectible plates of the figure world.

I have never seen anyone buy a funkopop ever and I have met 1 person that has ever owned one.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

it's not harmless when you have 500 of a thing, you have limited space, and get all "my precious!" about having to box up the ones that aren't worth anything

Pick posted:

If you're going to collect poo poo, make sure it's loving cool poo poo.

:agreed:

just about anything is cooler than hoarding funkopops

a collection can say a lot about somebody, and a funkopop collection says "here's a guy whose entire identity is boiled down to "geek XD""

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have never seen anyone buy a funkopop ever and I have met 1 person that has ever owned one.

It's a Le Gamer // Geek XD thing and I know a ton of dudes who are way way into these (I work in IT)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Did that dude's habit sound harmless to you?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheScott2K posted:

People stopped talking about that guy long ago.

Though even then yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheScott2K posted:

It sounds like it was causing harm to his relationship at least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I collect taxidermy, bones, artwork, Native American baskets, books, designer clothes/shoes, and animation cels. So some dumb nerd poo poo, some well-adjusted death cultist stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

People stopped talking about that guy long ago.

Though even then yeah.

No, actually, he's who everyone has been talking about.

You sound like you have bad judgement.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
She wasn't even bothered by it until it started covering every square inch of their living space

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

No, actually, he's who everyone has been talking about.

You sound like you have bad judgement.

lol can't read eh? Because no one was talking about him because his story is kind of boring.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol can't read eh? Because no one was talking about him because his story is kind of boring.

nearly everyone was either talking directly about this dude or about his weird hobby

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

waggles posted:

Careful now, they have feelings too (mostly hunger).

The avatar and post; I just can't

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mirthless posted:

nearly everyone was either talking directly about this dude or about his weird hobby

Most were talking the hobby itself yeah which was my point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To me a big part of being a collector and not a hoarder is to have things organized well and have them only take up an amount of space appropriate to the share it should have in your life.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most were talking the hobby itself yeah which was my point.

We've all rejected your version of events.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I collect taxidermy, bones, artwork, Native American baskets, books, designer clothes/shoes, and animation cels. So some dumb nerd poo poo, some well-adjusted death cultist stuff.

Do you really "collect" designer clothes/shoes?

'Cuz I'm imagining you just buying 'em to wear and going "for my collection.... haha." :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

We've all rejected your version of events.

I've noticed.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My [26 F] American boyfriend [30 M] won't stop comparing the U.S to my country in a very condescending way.

Long story short, I am Serbian and have been dating an American for almost 2 years. I love him dearly, but, as awful as it sounds, things are getting pretty annoying.

Up until a couple months ago I was in a perfect relationship, but lately it's just been kind of weird. Even though he claims he does not like his country, he's picked up this habit of comparing my country and our customs to his and not in a good, respectful way.

Let me give you an example. We go out maybe once a week. Last Friday we were in a bar and this guy came up to us after realizing my boyfriend sounded "English" and was honestly interested as to where he was from, had a couple questions, etc.

So, after talking to him for a couple minutes, he told him to "back the gently caress off". Boyfriend explained this as "he was obviously interested in you, if this poo poo happened where I am from, he would get his skull crushed".

Pretty much every day he says something like "in the US I would sue you for that" or "this wouldn't happen in the US" or "you would have no idea what to do if you were in the US" while I stand there thinking "so why are you even here?"

He also laughs at our customs. He thinks that taking your shoes off when entering a home is ridiculous (yet he complains about having mud all over his kitchen floor). Then he complains about not being able to buy things he could buy in America.

It just makes me feel like a less of a person maybe? Like I'm from this ridiculous country? I know I probably shouldn't take it personally, but I do. I've never been anti-American whatsoever, but I'm starting to think that he's living up to the stereotype of being a big-headed American.

But whenever I try to tell him something, he just gets offended. In all honesty though, he has no idea how much it bothers me and how embarrassing it can be, especially in public.

tl;dr: American boyfriend of 2 years compares everything to his country in a very condescending way and it annoys the hell out of me. I don't know what to do.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

To me a big part of being a collector and not a hoarder is to have things organized well and have them only take up an amount of space appropriate to the share it should have in your life.

Being willing to cycle your collection is important, too. Even if you're a total completionist, you've got to be willing to store less interesting parts of your collection if you don't have the space to have it all displayed.

This guy wants 500 goddamn figures out all the time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:murder: :911: :murder:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This fuckin' guy.

Why is he in Serbia if poo poo is so bad then?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

Call me weird, but I'd be way less nervous surrounded by taxidermy, bones and cels from Heavy Metal 2000 or whatever than a shrine to 500 interchangeable plastic pop culture bobbleheads. At least you have books! Baskets are p cool.

I'd be way easier to kill in Pick's house because I'd be absorbed with looking at all of the cool poo poo, instead of nervously glancing around for an exit and thinking of an excuse to leave. So, new lampshade for Pick, I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Do you really "collect" designer clothes/shoes?

'Cuz I'm imagining you just buying 'em to wear and going "for my collection.... haha." :v:

Pretty much, I don't have much call to wear a lot of it. I can wear the discreetly boring stuff to work but the rest just sits in my closet. Luckily I haven't changed dress sizes in like 6 years so it's not a big deal.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
UGH

WHO THE gently caress THINKS IT'S NORMAL AMERICAN CUSTOM TO WEAR YOUR SHOES IN THE HOUSE????

I've lived in Michigan and Oklahoma, I have family in many different states, I have never been anywhere where it wasn't generally accepted that you take your drat shoes off when you go in the house unless you've got hardwood floors and somebody at home who doesn't mind scrubbing them. Walking around inside with your shoes on is a white trash thing, and it's not even a polite white trash thing

Edit: I mean sure there are many way worse things you can do and many people don't care but God drat dude makes us sound like barbarians for Christ's sake

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 25, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My [19/M] Forum Pals [12-99/M] Saw Things Slightly Differently For A While. Is SWATing them appropriate?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I spoilered the length of the relationship because lol

quote:

How can I [25F] regain my sense of power in my relationship with [25M]?

I'll keep this short.

I've been with my boyfriend for a year and some change. While we get along well, I've noticed our power dynamic is imbalanced. We live together and he's expressed wanting to marry me someday but feels we aren't ready. I, on the other hand, don't think there will ever be a 'perfect' time to get married and sometimes feel like I'm waiting on him to make all the decisions for us; namely when we get married because I'd prefer he proposed. Anytime we argue I feel like we get further and further from an engagement date because it's entirely up to him. In a way, his perspective in the relationship matters more than mine does.

How can I regain my sense of self-worth in this relationship? I have very, very low self-esteem and view us in terms of 'reacher and settler,' him being the settler of course. What practical things can I do to boost my self-confidence and not rely on his timeline? Without breaking up, of course.

TLDR: Boyfriend decides when we get married therefore I feel like he holds a lot of power of me and the way I behave.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you got 500 anything in your house that isn't idk drinking straws you need to take stock of what you're doing with your time & money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I spoilered the length of the relationship because lol

quote:

I'm waiting on him to make all the decisions for us; namely when we get married because I'd prefer he proposed

Yes, because you're making it his decision. If you want to be engaged, propose. This isn't 1954.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm afraid if I'm mean to my boyfriend he won't marry me! How do I get him to rush into commitment so I can drop the act? :murder:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LethalGeek posted:

If you got 500 anything in your house that isn't idk drinking straws you need to take stock of what you're doing with your time & money.

I mean I'm fully aware that LEGO is objectively a waste of money because it is a bunch of plastic bits but idk man I like that poo poo it is relaxing. Most of my friends spend the same amount or more just on the bars so :shrug:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Pretty sure I have at least 500 blank sheets of paper of varying weights/textures/materials in the house. I'm ok with that.

You know, printer paper, college ruled, graph, water color, card stock, cotton stuff. Whatev.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LethalGeek posted:

dollars :smug:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

I mean I'm fully aware that LEGO is objectively a waste of money because it is a bunch of plastic bits but idk man I like that poo poo it is relaxing. Most of my friends spend the same amount or more just on the bars so :shrug:

We're both being a little pedantic. I assume you don't have 500 Lego kits. If you do, hopefully you don't have them all out at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You're all a bunch of smartasses