Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
An interesting thing is that there is a large overlap between people that think women are actually biologically lesser and people that think male privilege is not real.

Like how do you spin those two things?

What advantage could possibly be counted as more unearned than advantages granted because being a women is literally a disability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

You're only doing half of the work here.
What is your conclusion?

It appears that the way we structured our society is an impediment to females. Having to negotiate pay and put yourself out there by applying are huge stumbling blocks for women more so than men. While I am sure it does affect men as well, it doesn't seem to affect them the same amount.

If we moved our society to one based completely on pay scales, or maybe not even a scale, but just a set wage that would eliminate the gender pay gap. In order then to get equal numbers of participation in all fields, we would either need to do away with the hiring process, and have maybe an overall board that decides what field and where you will work at.

Ok this is mostly tongue and cheek, but how do you fix the fact that women in America apparently do not wish to be aggressive in negotiations for fear of being disliked. And how do you fix the fact that women do not like putting themselves out there? Mandatory blind hiring processes for all companies in america? Where there is nothing there but experience and education?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey can we all back up a bit? Women are starting to have high military positions my dudes. US included

http://taskandpurpose.com/meet-highest-ranking-female-general-us-history/

4 Star General Lori Robinson is in charge of Northern Command for almost a year now. She is prob gonna be qualified for a position in the Joint Chief of Staff.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Indigofreak posted:

Ok this is mostly tongue and cheek, but how do you fix the fact that women in America apparently do not wish to be aggressive in negotiations for fear of being disliked. And how do you fix the fact that women do not like putting themselves out there? Mandatory blind hiring processes for all companies in america? Where there is nothing there but experience and education?

From what I know about America's labor laws, what you need is a hell of a lot more regulation and a system to review hiring practices, with the threat of heavy fines and similar punitive measures, with a focus on gender imbalances. You also need to remove disincentives to the hiring of women, by levelling the playing field (mandatory paternal leave is a good and easy example). You need education to gender issues and a heavily feminist curriculum in primary and secondary education, as well as in HR. You need unions in general, and you need unions that are aware of gender issues in particular.

Also, and this is a personal thing - you need to stop referring to women as "females".

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

An interesting thing is that there is a large overlap between people that think women are actually biologically lesser and people that think male privilege is not real.

If male privilege exists, female privilege exists. I mean come on, nothing is equal.

My main problem with privilege is people using it to say "Your point of view doesn't matter" or "Your experiences and opinion on the subject don't matter because of privilege".

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Exmond posted:

If male privilege exists, female privilege exists. I mean come on, nothing is equal.

My main problem with privilege is people using it to say "Your point of view doesn't matter" or "Your experiences and opinion on the subject don't matter because of privilege".

Can you explain to me what privilege is, in your opinion?

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

From what I know about America's labor laws, what you need is a hell of a lot more regulation and a system to review hiring practices, with the threat of heavy fines and similar punitive measures, with a focus on gender imbalances. You also need to remove disincentives to the hiring of women, by levelling the playing field (mandatory paternal leave is a good and easy example). You need education to gender issues and a heavily feminist curriculum in primary and secondary education, as well as in HR. You need unions in general, and you need unions that are aware of gender issues in particular.

What is a feminist curriculum?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

It'll be a bit rough but here goes..

Privilege is the natural benefit or advantage you get from being raised by your parents (rich/poor) or being part of a certain race (Aboriginal vs Caucasian) or being a certain sex (Male vs Female).

An example of privilege is having a class try to throw a paper ball into a trashbin at the front of the class. Those at the front of the class have an advantage over those at the back of the class.

My personal aside is while privilege exists, it is just a small portion of who you are and how it affects your life.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Can't picture you not with a monocle.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Sethex posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/magazine/the-autism-advantage.html

Autism manifests into a pretty large range of faculties, but for many it can offer economic advantage to people in many fields of study and work.

Mentioned earlier, read the thread.

My previous post touches on this, then stone cold got all butt hurt at the idea that people have personality traits that are often defined by their chromosomes.

Many of the D&D outrage warriors have responded to these details with hostility, as they often do, as the OP mentions, as many posters have been doing now.

The thread is at least good at showcasing the outrage culture that unfortunately follows feminism around.

Autism isn't a personality trait you idiot

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

cosmicprank posted:

Can't picture you not with a monocle.

He's using the Socratic method duder. You ask people to explain themselves. And you keep asking until you get to a satisfactory understanding of the other person's position or the other guy realizes he doesn't know his argument as well as he does.

There's nothing condescending about it, it's a fantastic way to debate people, even if it does seem forward and combative at times.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Indigofreak posted:

What is a feminist curriculum?

Well, a couple ideas must permeate all facets of education - gender equality, group diversity, stuff like that. Violent tendencies in boys must be snuffed out, and children must be educated about consent, equality, interpersonal relationships. Children of both genders must be allowed and encouraged to work together, and to distribute tasks evenly.
Pretty common sense stuff, really.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

Well, a couple ideas must permeate all facets of education - gender equality, group diversity, stuff like that. Violent tendencies in boys must be snuffed out, and children must be educated about consent, equality, interpersonal relationships. Children of both genders must be allowed and encouraged to work together, and to distribute tasks evenly.

If it was common sense then it would already be happening. The hardest part of that would be the violent tendencies in boys.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

He's using the Socratic method duder. You ask people to explain themselves. And you keep asking until you get to a satisfactory understanding of the other person's position or the other guy realizes he doesn't know his argument as well as he does.

There's nothing condescending about it, it's a fantastic way to debate people, even if it does seem forward and combative at times.

Nice edit. Original would have been to anti-feminist, motherfucker can be triggering.

Also lmao at trying to remove female from the dictionary, can we not use the word "male" either? Kooks.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lets edit this to say Violent tendencies in everyone instead of just limiting it to men?

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Exmond posted:

Lets edit this to say Violent tendencies in everyone instead of just limiting it to men?

These are people who would unironically hold up a "teach men not to rape" sign, what do you expect?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

cosmicprank posted:

Nice edit. Original would have been to anti-feminist, motherfucker can be triggering.

Also lmao at trying to remove female from the dictionary, can we not use the word "male" either? Kooks.

Be careful you don't hurt your hand knocking down that straw man

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

gently caress Whitey posted:

Be careful you don't hurt your hand knocking down that straw man

He edited motherfucker to "duder", there's no strawman. And I'm laughing at the other poster who told someone they "need to stop using the word female" who would clearly have no objection to the word "male" for reasons.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

cosmicprank posted:

These are people who would unironically hold up a "teach men not to rape" sign, what do you expect?

What's the alternative, teach women to live in terror that any attempt to live their life might result in them being raped and that it will be their fault when it happens?

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

What's the alternative, teach women to live in terror that any attempt to live their life might result in them being raped and that it will be their fault when it happens?

No, don't perpetuate myths that every male is a potential rapist and that males never are raped by females.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

cosmicprank posted:

He edited motherfucker to "duder", there's no strawman. And I'm laughing at the other poster who told someone they "need to stop using the word female" who would clearly have no objection to the word "male" for reasons.

Using males as a noun would also be weird actually

That poster also wasn't saying it should be removed from the dictionary so you are in fact beating on a straw man

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

cosmicprank posted:

????

?????????

I...didn't make an edit????

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cosmicprank posted:

This isn't actually happening.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

cosmicprank posted:

No, don't perpetuate myths that every male is a potential rapist and that males never are raped by females.

Hmmmmm this would be an interesting idea if it was a thing that existed in reality

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Using males as a noun would also be weird actually

That poster also wasn't saying it should be removed from the dictionary so you are in fact beating on a straw man

They said you need to stop referring to women as "females" and the very fact that referring to a woman as a "female" is some sort of offense only furthers the chasm between our sides of course. No one changes their minds in these topics.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
When do I catch the ban lmao

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe quote the post? That would help your point.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

cosmicprank posted:

They said you need to stop referring to women as "females" and the very fact that referring to a woman as a "female" is some sort of offense only furthers the chasm between our sides of course. No one changes their minds in these topics.

They asked you to stop using females as a noun because it sounds weird

They did not say it should be removed from the dictionary

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

They asked you to stop using females as a noun because it sounds weird

They did not say it should be removed from the dictionary

He actually just said you need to stop, didn't say "because it sounds weird".

Typical tone policing xD

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

cosmicprank posted:

He actually just said you need to stop, didn't say "because it sounds weird".

Typical tone policing xD

Yes and the you was referring to you specifically, nothing in there said it should be removed from the dictionary

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
we disagree on the internet

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are you like trying to troll us really badly by just making poo poo up? Cause people are engaging with you, especially Flowers For Algeria. If you can't do the same well don't be surprised people go "lol idiot". That's not intolerance that's just you wasting our time and proving our point.

Like you do know I can just ask a mod if I edited my post, right? It's a very transparent lie if I actually gave a poo poo about disproving it. Why do this?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You are scolding feminists for "goofy causes" but your problem with feminism is that some rando nobody somewhere didn't like some totally unimportant star trek thing?

No you illiterate dumb bastard, im scolding feminists that get all angry about garbage causes that mean nothing, completely diluting actual issues.

The issue is that feminism embrace the entire group even when some of the group is absolute poo poo. Its the geek fallacy where everything HAS to be included or its not "fair"

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

Are you like trying to troll us really badly by just making poo poo up? Cause people are engaging with you, especially Flowers For Algeria. If you can't do the same well don't be surprised people go "lol idiot". That's not intolerance that's just you wasting our time and proving our point.

Like you do know I can just ask a mod if I edited my post, right? It's a very transparent lie if I actually gave a poo poo about disproving it. Why do this?

all an elaborate troll to prove anti-feminists are retarded

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

504 posted:

No you illiterate dumb bastard, im scolding feminists that get all angry about garbage causes that mean nothing, completely diluting actual issues.

The issue is that feminism embrace the entire group even when some of the group is absolute poo poo. Its the geek fallacy where everything HAS to be included or its not "fair"

You're nut-picking. Unless you have evidence that this is a wide-spread issue among all the different feminist circles (or poo poo even one particular one), then you do not have a point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

cosmicprank posted:

Well mission accomplished I guess.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

cosmicprank posted:

Why'd you edit this post?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

504 posted:

No you illiterate dumb bastard, im scolding feminists that get all angry about garbage causes that mean nothing, completely diluting actual issues

garbage causes like what?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Exmond posted:

It'll be a bit rough but here goes..

Privilege is the natural benefit or advantage you get from being raised by your parents (rich/poor) or being part of a certain race (Aboriginal vs Caucasian) or being a certain sex (Male vs Female).
Yeah, that's the gist of the feminist (and anti-racist) approach to privilege. One minor nitpick - there's very little that is natural (as in inherent) with it, almost all of it is social.
Stone Cold gives an excellent definition in the Feminism thread over at The Great Race Space :

Stone Cold posted:

Privilege is a right, immunity, or benefit that is experienced by a person which is beyond the advantages of most others. It is used in exactly this context in feminism. If you are described as being “privileged”, it means that you are immune to social pressures and problems that other groups of people face, that you have a right which is denied to other groups of people, and/or that you benefit from a system which does not provide those same benefits to others. Privilege is not necessarily asked for. It is merely assigned according to the social position that you are born into. It does not mean you do not ever face hardships or legitimate problems. It simply means that there are other problems and issues which you have the privilege of avoiding where others do not.

The example you use is pretty trivial, though, IMO, because I'd argue that it is a concept that is mostly useful in social sciences.

Exmond posted:

My personal aside is while privilege exists, it is just a small portion of who you are and how it affects your life.
This is where I have a fundamental disagreement with you, however. Lack of privilege affects the life of the people who suffer from it greatly, because they are not given the same opportunities. This problem compounds itself, and leads to the gender/racial/class imbalances that infest our societies.

Exmond posted:

Well, you are right in that violent tendencies should be snuffed out of everyone. But today, the perpetrators of violence are far more likely to be men, because boys are much more socialized into violent tendencies than women. That's why I focused on boys: they are our priority in this fight, and we should review the processes of socialization of boys first - maybe by aligning it on girls'?
Here's an example: two boys get in a fistfight in a courtyard. A likely excuse for this behavior will often be "boys will be boys", right? Well, this is the kind of stuff that should be snuffed out.

Indigofreak posted:

If it was common sense then it would already be happening. The hardest part of that would be the violent tendencies in boys.
I was being glib. Of course, it'd be a titanic endeavor. But don't you agree that they are good policies? And don't you agree that, with enough effort, we could effectively make them actual common sense?
Let's normalize gender equality.

cosmicprank posted:

And I'm laughing at the other poster who told someone they "need to stop using the word female" who would clearly have no objection to the word "male" for reasons.
Well, cosmicprank, if the poster I had been quoting had been using the word "male" instead of "man", I would have told them as well. It's just basic politeness. Nobody has called you "male", you have been calling other people "female", that's pretty rude.
Of course this is not about banning words from the dictionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

The example you use is pretty trivial, though, IMO, because I'd argue that it is a concept that is mostly useful in social sciences.

This is where I have a fundamental disagreement with you, however. Lack of privilege affects the life of the people who suffer from it greatly, because they are not given the same opportunities. This problem compounds itself, and leads to the gender/racial/class imbalances that infest our societies.

I like the example I used because it shows that while privilege exists and disparity exists it can also be overcome. And even with privilege people can fail at things. While it may not be the point of view you see, it aligns nicely with my principals and thought process on privilege. (It exists, It can help, but it doesn't lessen your achievements or success and may instead enhance them).

• Locked thread