Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Now it's being directed by Robert Rodriguez which could go either way depending on what story they go with but cast they have so far is pretty sick if this movie is actually really getting made now.

Oh poo poo, Mahershala Ali as Vector is pretty much perfect. Someone involved has been reading the comics at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

Turning invisible seems a pretty unfair way to hunt if you ask me.

If they wanted to truly crush their prey, they should just fly by in their space ship and like drop bombs on them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Turning invisible seems a pretty unfair way to hunt if you ask me.

Well yeah, the whole thing about Predator is that it's just like people. Even if a person is hunting deer with a longbow, that's still not fair. The gently caress's a deer gonna do to you? No hunter is interested in being sporting, they're interested in pretending to be sporting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Predator is all about fairness though. That's basically how Dutch is able to defeat him, by putting the Predator on a common ground.

The Predators just have a species wide sickness of getting too dang cocky.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The Predator is all about fairness though. That's basically how Dutch is able to defeat him, by putting the Predator on a common ground.

If the Predator was all about fairness, he wouldn't use an invisibility cloak and blast people with a laser cannon. He only abandons the shoulder laser when it's already busted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think the deer analogy works so much because if that was the case, he'd have mowed down Anna without any hesitation.

The Predator really only goes after something that could kill him. He's going after tigers and bears or something, basically. If a human wanted to do that, they'd pack enough heat to take them down, despite those animals not having the technology.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hunting something is the opposite of fairness. There's a difference between a duel and a hunt. The Predator is happy to sit up in the trees and blow people away with lasers until Arnold proves himself worthy, at which point it decides that he's worthy of a legit 1 on 1 duel. Had the laser gun not broken who knows how it would have gone down.

They obviously have some sort of complicated honor system but its never been expanded on that much in the movies, someone else can let us know what the comics have to say about it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Much like hunters going after dangerous animals do it because they can tell them selves they totally defeated a dangerous animal and they were totally at risk but came out on top, they obviously set up the entire hunt so there's pretty much no risk to them selves, but they want the illusion of it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If the Predator was all about fairness, he wouldn't use an invisibility cloak and blast people with a laser cannon. He only abandons the shoulder laser when it's already busted.

Or nuking the hunting ground if things don't start going their way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I don't think the deer analogy works so much because if that was the case, he'd have mowed down Anna without any hesitation.

Not really, this is just the equivalent of how hunters don't shoot babies or pregnant mothers or whatever (that last one even gets a specific mention in Predator 2).

Hell, the Predator is even such a sore loser that he sets off a huge loving bomb after Arnold beats him fair and square. Even supposing your "he only kills something that can kill him," that just makes him the equivalent of those dickheads that go to Africa to shoot a lion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah, predators are like human hunters who go shoot a lion or bear because in certain situations those animals could best them, but then they bring equipment and position them selves so that the chance of that happening is pretty much zero. The illusion of the danger makes them feel very strong and powerful that they bested such a mighty and dangerous creature.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, predators are like human hunters who go shoot a lion or bear because in certain situations those animals could best them, but then they bring equipment and position them selves so that the chance of that happening is pretty much zero. The illusion of the danger makes them feel very strong and powerful that they bested such a mighty and dangerous creature.

Yeah this. Maybe calling it fairness is too much, but they do have a flawed, honor system that boils down too-

If you are a child, aren't armed, or pregnant, you aren't worth the firepower. Predators are pretty dang hilarious though. Like they're all really cocky sore losers. I think the only one that flat said "Eh, you win, I guess. Whatever." was the Elder in Predator 2. AvP doesn't really count because that was more of uh, "Here, take a thing because you killed Aliens real good".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

The Predators just have a species wide sickness of getting too dang cocky.

When you take away all their laser bullshit, they're just slightly comical-looking alligator men.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it'd be fun to see a story about like a fat lazy Predator who's the equivalent of those guys that go fishing with dynamite.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Is that the jimmy johns guy?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Now it's being directed by Robert Rodriguez which could go either way depending on what story they go with but cast they have so far is pretty sick if this movie is actually really getting made now.

:aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVf_jsBqJk

Same. But Rodriguez is the exact brand of cheap hackdom that would deflate the thing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Predators don't eat their prey, right? Whereas the Aliens' victims are important to their continued survival.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Predators don't eat their prey, right? Whereas the Aliens' victims are important to their continued survival.

Aliens do not seem to actually eat people at all, or really eat anything. And the latest development from Prometheus is that they are genetically engineered prehistoric bioweapons.

If you had to answer the question of how they nourish themselves, if at all, there could be a lot of alternatives.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think he's not referring to the Aliens themselves eating but rather to them needing hosts to reproduce.

In the novels the Predators refer to different things they hunt based on whether or not it has an endo or exoskeleton. Like in the first AvP novel/comics humans are technically not legal to hunt* but they're considered the ultimate soft meat to hunt and potentially actually be in danger from. Xenomorphs are super popular to hunt because they're the ultimate hard meat for the same reason. I always assumed that meant eating was involved because that'd be a weirdly specific way to evaluate what animals you kill otherwise.

*Xenomrph is this only in the futuristic Predator stories? Is it like Starfleet or something where Predators don't hunt species after that species passes an arbitrary intelligence level or whatever?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 24, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I've argued for years that Perez's throwaway line in Resurrection can (and should!) be creatively interpreted, and there's more than enough evidence in Resurrection that the characters have knowledge of what Aliens are - knowledge that they couldn't have gotten from what was available in the first three movies alone.

Which line is that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Perez says something along the lines of "200 years ago Ripley for all intents and purposes wiped this species out and I don't want her returning to her old habits." Some fans interpret this to mean that the entire species ceased to exist at the end of Alien 3 and therefore no Alien-related story of any kind can exist between Alien 3 and Resurrection. But many also (more correctly imo) take it to mean that Aliens are pretty far out there and something like the Nostromo running into that derelict was like a one in a trillion thing (this was before Prometheus of course where we now sure as hell know there's probably plenty of old labs and wrecked ships out there) so they may as well be extinct to us, but obviously they're still out there in space wherever.

Edit: The 200 year gap between movies always seemed really pointless to me. Like in that amount of time and with the technology they obviously have on hand on that one ship alone why do they even need to recreate the alien? Can't they just create whatever the heck they want? It was just really funny to me because look at who survives each previous movies, like how awesome a hype man is Morse that I guess just based on his book Weyland-Yutani and then later the US government embarks on a ***200 year*** project to clone someone to possibly maybe also get a clone of a different life form that was growing inside of them?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 25, 2017

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Did the company purposefully select crappy marines in Aliens, and Vasquez just happened to be good? I gave Prometheus crap for dumb scientists, but the marines in Aliens are terrible soldiers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I imagine "colonial marines" are a privatized mercenary force and have the mindset and training of mall security guards. They're people who washed out of the real military or the pay is better. Maybe to act fast and without some other VP catching wind and taking the credit Paul hired who ever he could as soon as he could. He may have planned to kill them all in an "accident" after he got his alien eggs anyways, the dumber the less likely to see through his plan.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Baronjutter posted:

I imagine "colonial marines" are a privatized mercenary force and have the mindset and training of mall security guards. They're people who washed out of the real military or the pay is better. Maybe to act fast and without some other VP catching wind and taking the credit Paul hired who ever he could as soon as he could. He may have planned to kill them all in an "accident" after he got his alien eggs anyways, the dumber the less likely to see through his plan.

That was my read on it. It just caught me by surprise since I haven't watched the movies since I was a teenager. The immaturity of the colonial marines wasn't something I noticed back then.

I'm showing my son the movies for the first time, and it's great seeing someone experience them without any prior info. For example, I think he got to be scared by Alien in a way that I never was because I saw it already knowing Ripley was the major character of the series. I have to admit, I'm internally debating whether to show him 3 and 4.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

You should at least show him Alien 3 since Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

If you go by the EU they are the real-deal military, although more blatantly tied to corporate interests than the current militaries. A lot of the sci-fi from the Aliens era thought that corporations would become the dominant superpowers instead of countries so that is reflected in there. I get the feeling that country vs country fighting is a thing of the past (at least out in space), but there's probably some colonial rebellions or smaller intra-company skirmishes out there (open corporate warfare is probably bad for business when there aren't tax payers funding it).

I think they're mainly used to overwhelming whatever adversaries they come up against so they're pretty soft. The specific group in Aliens might be a B-team used to roll over galactic methheads - I imagine a more serious force would involve a lot more personnel.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ghostwritingduck posted:

I have to admit, I'm internally debating whether to show him 3 and 4.

Eventually everyone gets crushed by a bad sequel. Better that it's Alien 4 than, like, Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

punchymcpunch posted:

Eventually everyone gets crushed by a bad sequel. Better that it's Alien 4 than, like, Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach or something.

"Alright now that you've seen Alien and Aliens time to top it off with Jarhead 2: Field of Fire."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

"Alright now that you've seen Alien and Aliens time to top it off with Jarhead 2: Field of Fire."

Wow, this is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYa6fasrmas

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

david_a posted:

A lot of the sci-fi from the Aliens era thought that corporations would become the dominant superpowers instead of countries so that is reflected in there.

And they were correct.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

There's a third one, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_CY3ZGAYo

On a long enough timeline, everything gets a terrible sequel

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

ghostwritingduck posted:

Did the company purposefully select crappy marines in Aliens, and Vasquez just happened to be good? I gave Prometheus crap for dumb scientists, but the marines in Aliens are terrible soldiers.

Honestly, I don't blame the marines. I blame Gorman for making too many bad decisions and being too inexperienced for the mission. Later in the movie when he's out of the picture and Hicks is in charge, I'd say they do a pretty good job with what they have to work with. If they had a more competent commander, some more marines, and weapons that could be used inside the fusion reactor (seriously, why not turn back and reequip after learning that their weapons couldn't be used in there?) they could have very well taken out all the aliens right at the start.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Queering Wheel posted:

Honestly, I don't blame the marines. I blame Gorman for making too many bad decisions and being too inexperienced for the mission. Later in the movie when he's out of the picture and Hicks is in charge, I'd say they do a pretty good job with what they have to work with. If they had a more competent commander, some more marines, and weapons that could be used inside the fusion reactor (seriously, why not turn back and reequip after learning that their weapons couldn't be used in there?) they could have very well taken out all the aliens right at the start.

God, it's like reading an actual reaction to the Vietname war.

Now that's a good allegorical film.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, the marines in Aliens are clearly experienced at their job and actually behave like professionals once they're on LV426 and entering the facility. The poo poo-talking macho bravado evaporates as they favor silence and caution while maneuvering around the facility as a tactical unit. Things go bad when they're faced with an enemy that they've never encountered before in an environment they're unfamiliar with ("They're coming outta the goddamn walls!") under the directions of an inexperienced commander. Gorman does know how to handle the situation professionally though, and relays fallback procedure and covering fire tactics to Apone as all hell breaks loose, the problem is everything's turning to poo poo too fast and once the chain of command is broken and Apone is gone the marines are alone and put up the best fight they can while retreating.

I think James Cameron did a good job of balancing the bravado and arrogance of the marines while also demonstrating that they clearly know what they're doing and what happens when experienced soldiers are put into a situation against an utterly alien enemy that they've never encountered. They even mount a sensible defense in operations with what equipment they do have, but again get caught out by these alien creatures somehow being smart enough to cut the power and having unconventional access to the room.

This is disappointing. I hold Alien 3 in high regard and find the notion of retconning it to be foolish, but I would really like to see an Alien movie directed by Blomkamp because he's a talented director and the film would no doubt be a visual treat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What I don't get is after Scott finishes his flicks and whatever, I mean does Blomkamp HAVE to do a movie that retcons Alien 3? Like can't he just do some general badass action movie with Aliens in it if the scheduling/logistics for Aliens 2.5 aren't going to happen?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wants the film he was promised as a child. The one where Hicks and Newt fight aliens in power loaders with Ripley.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It may be more about the length of time he's being told he has to wait. If Scott is putting the word out to the studio that he wants to keep going with more after Covenant, Blomkamp may be left in limbo with no clear timeframe for when he can expect to make his movie.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

He wants the film he was promised as a child. The one where Hicks and Newt fight aliens in power loaders with Ripley.

It will be set a generation after Alien 2. The aliens were defeated and WY broken up after a huge messy and public investigation. But things have changed now, people have got used to their alien-free peace. The Yutani Order, a small corporation founded by some ex WY executives and an old Paul Riser (he seemed to die in alien but the character was popular, remember him? Remember paul riser?) have founded a secret arctic base. An old Ripley and Hicks are still concerned about the threat of the aliens and the remnants of WY but people don't take them seriously for absolutely no logical reason. Aided by some fresh young faces and a lot of funny quips, all four meet up to stop the Yutani Order's new base. The "YO" and their synth enforcers the "knights of Weyland" have created a super Queen alien inside of a base the size of a planet that they somehow had the resources to build. Remember the queen alien? Well it's the same but bigger and cooler, and her eggs make face huggers that can like infect a whole planet at once and can fly in space, and the new aliens are like the old ones you remember, but more badass. Speaking of things you may remember, remember the drop ship? The drop ship is back. Remember power loaders? Power loaders are back, but now with lasers. Remember the marines and their quotable lines? There's new marines, and they are constantly quipping cool quotables. Pulse rifles of course, and a new turret scene true fans will love. The whole movie is a love letter to the fans, it's a soft reboot inspired by Aliens. It follows the same general plot of aliens, but with new characters for a new generation, and things the fans will love and remember. Personally, I'm really excited and think it's going to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's gonna be great.