Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd rather if tile blockers had some other use besides 'remove'. Alphamod does this by giving all the tile blockers adjacency bonuses but I'd rather if you had special buildings you could build on top of them instead (and only on top of them). Giant geothermal generators on volcano's. Xeno Zoo's on dangerous wildlife. Defensive fortifications on mountain ranges and so on.
:ghost:

Thetan Generator
Provides strategic resource: alien ghosts

*Requires at least 5 slave pops

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiz posted:

Do I have your permission to steal this?

A chance to contribute to pop culture? Sure.

Might be interesting to tie a small resource bonus to the techs to reinforce the idea that these are "real-feeling" techs and not just a tile removal mechanic thing. Like a 1% bonus to something that seems appropriate, like 1% empire-wide food for each tech having to do with plants and soil, 1% empire energy for each tech having to do with climate, and 1% empire minerals for each tech having to do with geology. Or research or whatever's balanced. Just a little something thrown in there for flavor.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 24, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Anticheese posted:

Mountain ranges become islands with some flavour of bonus.

I've always thought it would be neat if you could make a vacation-style planet like Risa from Star Trek that would increase the happiness in your empire as a whole. Though I guess monuments and stuff sort of simulate it in the same way so it isn't really necessary.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

I've always thought it would be neat if you could make a vacation-style planet like Risa from Star Trek that would increase the happiness in your empire as a whole. Though I guess monuments and stuff sort of simulate it in the same way so it isn't really necessary.
Or at least a recreational module for space stations. Like a zero-g theme park or an arcade for an overly realistic game of space invaders.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So how is Alphamod? Is it a completely new experience or does it just simply build upon more of the game?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

While you're at it can you group tile removal tech together so it's not an entire tech for 1 tile type? Or at least reduce their cost significantly.

Nah that's not necessary, considering all the techs really do is make planets larger by a couple tiles. Expediting tile blocker removal would just make rapid expansion in the early game even more dominant.

What the game really needs is a mechanism that ties colony cost/income to habitability. All of a sudden planet type and terraforming would matter in ways that players care about.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The techs used to be grouped together didn't they? They separated them in a later patch.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing Stellaris again when this patch hits, looks like a lot's changed since launch.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah that's not necessary, considering all the techs really do is make planets larger by a couple tiles. Expediting tile blocker removal would just make rapid expansion in the early game even more dominant.

What the game really needs is a mechanism that ties colony cost/income to habitability. All of a sudden planet type and terraforming would matter in ways that players care about.

:confused: We already have that; habitability dramatically affects pop growth rates and caps happiness.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Are wormholes a thing?

Speaking of obvious things I can't believe I never thought of... random naturally occurring wormholes would be awesome.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Probably not! One of the biggest differences between Paradox games (this and EU anyway) and other 4X games is that when you are fighting an empire you usually can't just take all their stuff in one go. You can only take bits and pieces at a time, and the first war usually won't even cripple them. The upshot of this is that losing one war usually won't cripple you either.

Let the war run its course. Don't waste money on building ships right now just to have them blown up. They declared on your ally so they probably want stuff your ally has. Once they get it you can focus on rebuilding. It won't take that long and from what I've noticed empires don't really take the chance to pounce on you during your rebuilding period, at least on normal difficulty and aggressiveness. For now just build buildings and wait.

Unfortunately I don't think this is working.
As I was on the verge of recovering my military and my infrastructure I got dogpiled again. I'm not even sure my federation ally had an army. My army of 6K or so was no match for their main force, a 10K army that effortlessly wiped me out when I finally decided to see what I could actually accomplish against them. They just merrily rampaged through my system and I'm sure they'll gank a bunch more planets off of me in peace talks while losing practically nothing in the process. I figure this will likely continue until there is nothing left for them to take.

I wouldn't even mind this so much if I thought I learned something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Beat a larger, aggressive empire early on by baiting their 2k stack onto my 1k stack outside of a station. Viva la space bugs :toot:

Then I found despite occupying every single planet they owned I couldn't force them to surrender, gently caress.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Occupying all of one sides planets should be an automatic 100WS (I've never seen the AI not surrender immediately after this happens), do they have allies?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How the hell do I offer someone to be my protectorate. Like, sure you're a one planet joke of a thang but I still covet your wormhole tech and your science bonuses alongside arctic preference.

Do I just have to wait for things to go up to friendly with trust building? There are no other actions I can take as far as I can tell thus far; no diplomats or other things like that.

Is there any vassal management at all in the game right now? Say what you want about EUIV, at least by now they've made it cool and interesting to have vassals with you.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Whilst we're talking about planet surfaces, I think it'd be an improvement if different planet types had different tile bonuses. If desert planets had more, and larger energy bonuses whilst say arctic planets had mineral ones, then you'd have an interesting choice in-game. Do you ignore your tile bonuses and stay self-sufficient, or find a neighbour with a different planet type and trade with them- making you both better off, at the cost of your economies now being intertwined. If they ever find another energy supplier, though... they can switch, and now they know you can't afford to build a fleet up. Getting extra species is now a big deal, and terraforming isn't a no-brainer as soon as you have the energy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Drone_Fragger posted:

Beat a larger, aggressive empire early on by baiting their 2k stack onto my 1k stack outside of a station. Viva la space bugs :toot:

Then I found despite occupying every single planet they owned I couldn't force them to surrender, gently caress.

When that happens just open the console and type warscore 100.

Alternatively: It's never mentioned anywhere but you can also blockade every planet they have with a ship to give you a significant warscore bonus. This is usually enough to force a surrender right off. I didn't even know this was a feature until I chanced across it. Which makes me wonder if the food import/export thing in the upcoming patch is actually a late feature to be added in that was planned way back since the AI can tell when it's getting blockaded and surrender if it's a risk to their health.

SkySteak posted:

So how is Alphamod? Is it a completely new experience or does it just simply build upon more of the game?

Alphamod is 100% a must have. It's basically several paid content expansions worth of content rolled into one gigantic mod that expands on the content that's there and add all new theme appropriate content for the game. However, that does mean it's way more complex than the base game, since there's new resources and mechanics to track. It also enables a lot of things that are in the base game but aren't available to actually use for some unfathomable reason. Like the ability to eventually tech up to Fallen Empire levels of power and build equivalent buildings. Or create an actual economy within your nation.

I'd treat it as a preview of what the game will look like in a few years if it gets CK2 levels of support. Which it had better because holy gently caress this game has potential. :argh:

If you pick up the Alphamod submods to expand the available content then it can do a lot of stuff that other mods just don't do or require a ton of compatibility patches to get working. Late game the submods allow for actual rebellions and new races to appear along with all new habitable world types and features like, constructable orbital habitats, asteroid colonies, high orbit gas planet harvesting, new xeno fauna, etc, etc. Which means it's actually fun to play a multi-century game since you have something to do other than just conquer constantly.

The Divided Loyalties submod in particular is especially useful for expanding the mid to late game content since it'll add political factions to the game. Labor unions, pirate cartels, and even corporations and trade guilds that you interact with within your nation all show up the deeper into a game you go. And I do mean that literally, the further you go into the game the more you'll see new faction types pop up. You won't see a trade guild until you actually build an economic building that lets planets trade with each other. If a planet is centered around generic economy stuff and not power a corporation or trade guild may eventually dominate the market on that planet or sector and create a megacorp that has a voice within your empire and needs to be handled as a political faction.

The options for the factions are way more interesting than vanilla ones too. The megacorp for instance has the usual suppression options, but you can also work with it. Or even give it sole custody of the planet in exchange for staying as part of the empire. This makes it a vassal nation and has it's own downsides and upsides. The least of which is that a treacherous and ambitious megacorp will gently caress with you if it gets the chance.

The best part about the Divided Loyalties submod is that the factions aren't all negatives like they are in vanilla. It's useful to keep a mining union around for instance since you can throw them a bone every now and then to increase worker productivity. However if you treat them badly then they start making problems. It's far deeper than the vanilla factions are and a good example of what I mean about Alphamod increasing the depth of the game.

If you get Alphamod though I recommend also just taking the plunge and getting Fallen Empires Expanded, the Ethics and Government mod (with alphamod's patch), NSC and it's appropriate compatibility mods, and Extra Events, More Events, and Civilian Trade. They fill out the game to where it feels like it's a complete galaxy sim. Or at least as complete as you can get at this stage.

As a plus, Civilian Trade also uses models that are already in the game. Turns out those tankers are part of the civilian ships that aren't enabled yet. Apparently civilian trade and cargo hauling between planets was planned but never put in for some reason?

Edit: If you're looking for other mods then Relics of a Fallen Empire, Ringworld Restoration, and the Megastructures mod all are great fluff content additions. None of them are necessary but they add a lot of character to the mid to late game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 25, 2017

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Occupying all of one sides planets should be an automatic 100WS (I've never seen the AI not surrender immediately after this happens), do they have allies?

Yeah, they had allies. But the guy who actually delcared war on me had all his planets blockaded and occupied. I guess I needed to blockade his allies too?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Drone_Fragger posted:

not even a white peace? just keep occupying and let the time run the warscore up. They're not getting any stronger, and you can rebuild

edit: yeah with allies they think their side is actually stronger than it is. You gotta ruin their friend's military and sack all his spaceports too

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 25, 2017

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
So i just rewatched prometheus and now want to play out the movie in stellaris but replace the engineers with snailiens. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, they had allies. But the guy who actually delcared war on me had all his planets blockaded and occupied. I guess I needed to blockade his allies too?

Yuuup. Or wait for the "length of war" modifier to tick down. It's dumb.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How the hell do I offer someone to be my protectorate. Like, sure you're a one planet joke of a thang but I still covet your wormhole tech and your science bonuses alongside arctic preference.

Do I just have to wait for things to go up to friendly with trust building? There are no other actions I can take as far as I can tell thus far; no diplomats or other things like that.

Is there any vassal management at all in the game right now? Say what you want about EUIV, at least by now they've made it cool and interesting to have vassals with you.

The option should be there unless the tech disparity isn't big enough, in which case you make them your vassal. Pretty sure you don't get tech bonuses for being the overlord of a protectorate though, it's the other way around.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also, Gods and Guardians is a great "fluff content" mod that actually makes Observation Posts and primitive species have more content than just being society research or vassal producers. It's probably a must have too if you're wanting to increase the depth of the content.

Honestly, I could type up a massive post on what mods are worth getting. There's a huge number of them out there. Some of which aren't immediately evident. Stellaris has a pretty awesome mod community for how rough of a start it had content wise. Not sure if there's any interest in putting it in the OP or anyone even using it though.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I wish AI personality could affect how much warscore they'd be willing to white peace or capitulate to demands on. Like, zealots would just keep fighting to the bitter end, pacifists would try to white peace earlier and capitulate earlier than other personalities would.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Archonex posted:

Also, Gods and Guardians is a great "fluff content" mod that actually makes Observation Posts and primitive species have more content than just being society research or vassal producers. It's probably a must have too if you're wanting to increase the depth of the content.

Honestly, I could type up a massive post on what mods are worth getting. There's a huge number of them out there. Some of which aren't immediately evident. Stellaris has a pretty awesome mod community for how rough of a start it had content wise. Not sure if there's any interest in putting it in the OP or anyone even using it though.

You tottaly should, im always down for more mods

Archonex
May 2, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

I wish AI personality could affect how much warscore they'd be willing to white peace or capitulate to demands on. Like, zealots would just keep fighting to the bitter end, pacifists would try to white peace earlier and capitulate earlier than other personalities would.

Mods also fix this, funnily enough. The expanded personalities mod is a lifesaver and adds a lot of replayability to the politics end of the game. Though it requires knowing how the new personalities are assigned if you don't want to deal with an element of randomness. That's no different from the vanilla ethics and personality interaction though.

Ditto for the ethics and government mod affecting wars. Though it doesn't appear so at first glance. Since it expands on the ethics and government end of the game it actually makes war be a negative for some factions depending on their ethics and government type.

Pacifists actually get some hefty economic bonuses for being at peace and negatives for being at war or having a rivalry going, for instance. This means that pacifists are more likely to surrender quickly, assuming you aren't continually eating their worlds or considering purging them.

If you're up against a race of pacifists in that mod and have a track record of purging species they will fight to the bitter end no matter what. Hell, you pretty much have to blockade their planets and take each one with armies before they'll capitulate since they know they're fighting for their right to exist and not just a few planets or a trade sanction or whatever.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 25, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

The option should be there unless the tech disparity isn't big enough, in which case you make them your vassal. Pretty sure you don't get tech bonuses for being the overlord of a protectorate though, it's the other way around.
No it's there, there's just no seeming way to overcome the -44 to get it; gently caress, even being friendly is only 10!

why does Wiz want me to rush my ships into everyone :(

Also wow is it irritating to try and use the covert option on primitives; it pretty much always ends up being negative and there doesn't seem to be any big reason not to just roll with the other one??

Can I gut this ancient ship to get its laser techs?

For guys that take forever to uplift, is it better to just colonize them, then release them as vassals? I don't think I can enslave them, alas.

Can I colonize solely with robots, then just assign them to sectors and let migrations deal with the difference?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 25, 2017

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Haven't played with mods in Stellaris before, guess I'm gonna have to give it a shot. Are all the alphamod submods worth getting?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

Haven't played with mods in Stellaris before, guess I'm gonna have to give it a shot. Are all the alphamod submods worth getting?

Pretty much. Xeno Fauna is probably the least necessary one and you can skip over it entirely if you want. It adds some hard to get perks that aren't really necessary unless you're big on having more depth to your strategic resources.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure you don't get tech bonuses for being the overlord of a protectorate though, it's the other way around.

Yes, which is amazing if you are the subject there.

The overlord gets an influence bonus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aethernet posted:

:confused: We already have that; habitability dramatically affects pop growth rates and caps happiness.

Happiness doesn't do anything though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Happiness doesn't do anything though.

Happiness gives a percentage bonus/malus to resource output depending on how far from 50% it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What?????!!!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have invisible super- pops on some planets.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How... did you not notice this?

It also has an effect on ethics divergence, migration and attraction to anti-government factions.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A robotic empire can't be unhappy!

Edit: Now I actually want to try a robot empire.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Heartcatch posted:

A robotic empire can't be unhappy!

Edit: Now I actually want to try a robot empire.

Well you're in luck! Soon you can (though I guess if you try hard enough you can also do that now, too).

But Synths do have happiness and ethics, unlike their robot and droid predecessors.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well you're in luck! Soon you can (though I guess if you try hard enough you can also do that now, too).

But Synths do have happiness and ethics, unlike their robot and droid predecessors.

That's why I specifically said robots! Droids are all right, but synths are inferior with their emotions and stuff!

Star Trek taught us this lesson with Data and Lore's ballet.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder if the robots could even pay for themselves with the penalty to energy production they suffer from, you'd need to find a lot of +energy tiles to help pay for everything and your fleet would probably suffer a lot for it. I'm also pretty sure the robot POPs can't colonize planets so you'd need to grow as much as possible before you started replacing everyone then start grabbing planets from your neighbours.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Archonex posted:

-Alphamod stuff-

Hey thank you for that. I was just going to quickly ask if you had a link to that Ethics and Government mod. Also do you know how well/badly Alphamod plays with ISBS mods? They had some really fun stuff relating to Doomsday weapons and such so I would love to have that in still.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Hey thank you for that. I was just going to quickly ask if you had a link to that Ethics and Government mod. Also do you know how well/badly Alphamod plays with ISBS mods? They had some really fun stuff relating to Doomsday weapons and such so I would love to have that in still.

There are compatibility mods that make most of the large mods work together. I'd recommend NSC over ISB's core mod though. You can grab the graphics expansion and doomsday weapon stuff from Improved Space Battles and then use NSC for actual new ship types and all the new features it introduces.

The core features it has are way better than what ISB's core mod has from what i've experienced. Especially if you pick up Automated Ship Behaviors so you can customize how ships act in combat. It's just harder to set up since the new flagship, dreadnought, and other ship classes require compatibility patches with most ship mods that aren't vanilla. Though those already exist and are linked on NSC's page. It even has a patch to let ISB and it's submods to play well with it.

Regardless, here's the Ethics and Government mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=738611313

Alphamod should have the compatibility patch on their mod page. You'll need that too to run it properly.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 25, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've accidentally colonized a planet with a robot pop once, so it can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Are you sure it wasn't a droid, or that the original settler hadn't moved away? You cannot load robots on to a colony ship so something else would need to be there first.

• Locked thread