Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Unmature posted:

I don't know. The way Disney has been treating Zootopia has really surprised me going by how much it made. In Disney World I saw literally ONE reference to it, which was up in Rafiki's petting zoo place in Animal Kingdom. That requires a train ride to get there. I also saw a drawing at one of the caricature booths, but that's not official merch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Oscars passed it over. A lot of Oscar stuff is very populist, and to someone who doesn't pay attention it could seem like Zootopia isn't that popular. But hey, maybe they'll actually pick the best movie.
I was at Disneyland earlier this year (e: sorry I meant early 2016) and they had zero Frozen stuff. I think they just take a while to incorporate popular movies into their theme parks.

Thinking more about it, it's not impossible that Moana could pinch the award. Has the help of momentum -- Zootopia was so long ago.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unmature posted:

None of you can think of ANYTHING that happened this week that would make it weird to be reading about a misogynist?

EDIT: Oh, not that he did. All he does not is argue on Twitter, make awful Simpsons couch gags, and steal Kickstarter money.

The way it was phrased made it sound like he, directly, did a thing. Which, hey, it's John K. Who'd be surprised by another lovely thing from him?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I was at Disneyland earlier this year and they had zero Frozen stuff. I think they just take a while to incorporate popular movies into their theme parks.

Iirc there's a stage play thing, tons of merchandise, and the characters do meet and greets. I was at the park a few weeks ago and the only thing they had Zootopia-related was the characters, and they didn't even have signatures. Absolutely zero merchandise apart from the toy figure pack. It was especially weird considering they had a sudden resurgence of Baymax stuff for whatever reason.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ishikabibble posted:

It was especially weird considering they had a sudden resurgence of Baymax stuff for whatever reason.

Hyping up for the TV show, maybe?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I was at Disneyland earlier this year (e: sorry I meant early 2016) and they had zero Frozen stuff. I think they just take a while to incorporate popular movies into their theme parks.

Thinking more about it, it's not impossible that Moana could pinch the award. Has the help of momentum -- Zootopia was so long ago.

There's at the very least tons of merchandise. And at WDW there's a whole ride (which is amazing by the way).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I was just at WDW this past week, only thing I saw for Zootopia was Judy and Nick in a parade. Moana had a character meet and signature section, and Frozen was everywhere.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I really wanna say that it's just that Zootopia was more popular than they expected, and that the low amount of merchandising is because it takes time for the systems they've got for making it to kick into gear. That said, it having been this long... I dunno.

At least they're selling Young Judy dolls at Disney Stores. Not an outfit that appeared in the movie (I don't recall Judy wearing skirts at any point, though I wouldn't put it past her), but it's something?

Would be nice to have official adult-size T-shirts available, though. Only ones I've ever seen are Flash saying "Chill, dude!", and even then, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

I really wanna say that it's just that Zootopia was more popular than they expected, and that the low amount of merchandising is because it takes time for the systems they've got for making it to kick into gear. That said, it having been this long... I dunno.

It doesn't take a year when your movie makes a billion dollars.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I, a irl 30 year old, want to take my lunch to work in a Zootopia lunch tin, is that so much to ask???

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That doesn't contradict his point at all. Obviously Moana presents a return to the mythic past (e: and the humbled abdication of man's mastery over nature, for that matter) as a good thing, but that's the essence of his criticism in the first place.

In the movie it's presented as competing traditions. Moana's father stresses tradition, but only if it's the traditions he likes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

I'm actually confident that the exact opposite would be the case: If Zootopia were by a 'no-name studio,' whatever that is, it would not actually appear to be that much of an improvement over Home and Madagascar 3 and Kung Fu Panda 3. On the other hand, folks would be more critical of it in the same way they're critical of Kubo.

All of the residual goodwill would just funnel to Moana.

Assuming it was literally the same movie and not cheaper and crappier, nah, it's still better.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
There's a not a lot of studios who could bring to bear the kind of resources it took to make that movie, so it's a bit of a moot point I think.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

In the movie it's presented as competing traditions. Moana's father stresses tradition, but only if it's the traditions he likes.

Personally I'm just cheesed that they made a movie about Pacific Islander Prometheus and then were like "no, actually, stealing fire for mankind was stupid and selfish, go apologize to the Gods" because it's Disney and of course they did.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Stealing fire is a separate thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Personally I'm just cheesed that they made a movie about Pacific Islander Prometheus and then were like "no, actually, stealing fire for mankind was stupid and selfish, go apologize to the Gods" because it's Disney and of course they did.

That isn't really what they did at all, and in fact stealing fire from down below is explicitly one of the "you're welcome" things on Maui's list.

Maui stole a living creature's heart and condemned them to torment mostly because he wanted to and not for any greater goal. It gets glossed over because Maui basically doesn't belong in Moana as a character but helping humanity isn't shown to be a bad thing, it's the fact he does it for selfish and shortsighted reasons that is.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Haledjian posted:

There's a not a lot of studios who could bring to bear the kind of resources it took to make that movie, so it's a bit of a moot point I think.

That's the thing. There already was a 'no name' studio version of Zootopia, it was called Cats Don't Dance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That's the thing. There already was a 'no name' studio version of Zootopia, it was called Cats Don't Dance.

Warners Brothers and Turner Entertainment are no-name studios now?

Edit: Also CDD was barely promoted because it was a victim of the merge, which isn't really the same thing as getting ignored.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Turner Feature Animation has produced three feature animations. The other two were Tom and Jerry: The Movie, and the Pagemaster.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't really what they did at all, and in fact stealing fire from down below is explicitly one of the "you're welcome" things on Maui's list.

Maui stole a living creature's heart and condemned them to torment mostly because he wanted to and not for any greater goal. It gets glossed over because Maui basically doesn't belong in Moana as a character but helping humanity isn't shown to be a bad thing, it's the fact he does it for selfish and shortsighted reasons that is.

You're misunderstanding me, I think. I know what literally happens in the film, I'm talking about the contextual significance of adapting a myth about the person who bravely tried to win immortality for mankind, but was doomed from the start, into a story about a person who steals an incredibly vaguely defined "power of life," the benefits of and reasons for which are never clearly explained, and was foolish for even trying.

Taken in a vacuum the movie works more or less, but the symbols they're borrowing already possess meanings. Hercules has a similar problem, although Hercules is also kind of a mess in its own right.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That's inherent to the idea of retelling and reimagining myth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

That's inherent to the idea of retelling and reimagining myth.

Right. It's impossible to do it without making a statement through what you choose to change, and I dislike the statement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Right. It's impossible to do it without making a statement through what you choose to change, and I dislike the statement.

I don't think the statement is what you claim it to be though. In the narrative construction of the tale Maui the demigod needs to fail... So that Moana the human can succeed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ImpAtom posted:

Warners Brothers and Turner Entertainment are no-name studios now?

Yes. Relative to Disney/Pixar. Notice that nobody remembers CDD in the context of Turner Entertainment, but people will inevitably associate Z with a studio that technically had nothing to do with it.

Z couldn't possibly be getting more acclaim, because Disney made it. But CDD only came to positive mainstream appraisal - without ceremony - through television programming, cultivating an unintentional cult following.

The difference is that the 'name brand matters less' cross-media cult film is modeled after classic Hollywood musicals, where as Zootopia features Shakira.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

I don't think the statement is what you claim it to be though.

They substitute personal insecurity for defiant, existential heroism. It's the decision to minimize the importance of revolt and replace it with reconciliation that bugs me. Not because reconciliation is bad, but because revolt -- even (perhaps especially) against inescapable destiny -- is a great human virtue. It mirrors how Moana herself is a rebellious teenager whose half-hearted rebellion is channeled back into the restoration of an older and thus more legitimate status quo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know of somewhere to read any kind analysis of Disney's recent merchandizing decisions?

In addition to Zootopia, there was the incredible lack of Rey merchandise. A character who is basically Luke and Han put together, plus being a good role model for girls. I just wonder if it's like one guy dropping the ball or if they've got some kind of metrics telling them this stuff. It's probably all unknowable for outsiders.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or put another way, a story about a guy who lassos the sun so people don't have to work themselves to death every day, pulls islands out of the sea, and stops the sky from crushing humanity implies a very different understanding of the world than one in which the ocean is your friend and messing with the natural order dooms your island.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Beachcomber posted:

Does anyone know of somewhere to read any kind analysis of Disney's recent merchandizing decisions?

In addition to Zootopia, there was the incredible lack of Rey merchandise. A character who is basically Luke and Han put together, plus being a good role model for girls. I just wonder if it's like one guy dropping the ball or if they've got some kind of metrics telling them this stuff. It's probably all unknowable for outsiders.

From what I heard, Disney marketing legitimately thought that Kylo Ren would be the breakout character like Vader before him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I heard, Disney marketing legitimately thought that Kylo Ren would be the breakout character like Vader before him.

I mean, I can almost see the logic: let's make a male Elsa and make him actually bad.

They shoulda given him a musical number.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, I can almost see the logic: let's make a male Elsa and make him actually bad.

They shoulda given him a musical number.

Don't forget the whinyness and temper tantrums!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or put another way, a story about a guy who lassos the sun so people don't have to work themselves to death every day, pulls islands out of the sea, and stops the sky from crushing humanity implies a very different understanding of the world than one in which the ocean is your friend and messing with the natural order dooms your island.

I read it as a story about balance. Struggling against adversity and nature, but never forgetting to work in harmony with it. Pulling islands from the sea is one thing, but trying to play god (instead of demi-god) and wield power over life itself is a step too far. It's a metaphor for the human struggle, trying to create a place for ourselves in the world without taking it too far and destroying nature in the process. I mean...in this day and age, I'm never gonna throw shade on a story that's trying to preach working in harmony with nature.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I read it as a story about balance. Struggling against adversity and nature, but never forgetting to work in harmony with it. Pulling islands from the sea is one thing, but trying to play god (instead of demi-god) and wield power over life itself is a step too far. It's a metaphor for the human struggle, trying to create a place for ourselves in the world without taking it too far and destroying nature in the process. I mean...in this day and age, I'm never gonna throw shade on a story that's trying to preach working in harmony with nature.

It's all playing god, man. I think you're on to something but I also think that it's very important to distinguish between the superstitious fallacy of "going too far" on one hand and misusing what you've already obtained on the other. Domesticating animals is ultimately just as unnatural and transgressive as letting your domesticated animals overgraze, but it's the latter you have to watch out for.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

they probably fabricated more Gonk droids than Rey toys (I doubt it) because of their backwards thinking

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's all playing god, man. I think you're on to something but I also think that it's very important to distinguish between the superstitious fallacy of "going too far" on one hand and misusing what you've already obtained on the other. Domesticating animals is ultimately just as unnatural and transgressive as letting your domesticated animals overgraze, but it's the latter you have to watch out for.

I don't think it's all playing god. Not really. Domesticating animals is just a form of symbiosis. Moana draws a line between struggling against natural adversity and destroying nature. Maui pushing back against the sky and pulling against the sun are one thing, that's asserting yourself within your environment, but carving out nature's heart and unleashing a wave of death and decay is clearly a destructive act. It's like the difference between building a log cabin and paving over a forest to build condos. I'm not saying the real world is that cut and dry, but the film is a metaphor, so it makes a clear delineation.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the tremulous pulsing of my udders

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm painting my Rattlesnake Jake figurine from Burger King, I will let you know when he is done but he is looking very shiny :3:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Okay he's cute now!

Original toy

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

Okay he's cute now!

Original toy