Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Knormal posted:

It does make me wonder though, what happens if Picard or Riker lock out the command codes then get killed. Does the Enterprise become destine to just float around space forever because no one can even send a message to get an Admiral to fly out and override it?

No idea. Maybe after a while the ship sends a message automatically to Starfleet Command or something.

Cos we're all nerds on the internet we put way more thought into it than the writers did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just watched TMP for the second time in my life. That's about 1.5 times too many. My favorite part was when Bones came up to the bridge, looked around, and left again, without saying anything.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Just watched TMP for the second time in my life. That's about 1.5 times too many. My favorite part was when Bones came up to the bridge, looked around, and left again, without saying anything.

Yeah, I get that seeing the Enterprise on the big screen must have been rad at the time, but it's a half hour worth of movie and feels like five.

Also, the best part is disco Bones.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Knormal posted:

It does make me wonder though, what happens if Picard or Riker lock out the command codes then get killed. Does the Enterprise become destine to just float around space forever because no one can even send a message to get an Admiral to fly out and override it?

My guess is the computer's supposed to be smart enough to detect whoever is the most senior officer present on the ship and allow that person to unlock the ship with their personal access code.

That said, if for whatever reason they absolutely couldn't get the command codes unlocked, I would imagine that the engineering staff could (with enough time) eventually do a full wipe and reinstall of the computer operating system. Worst-case scenario they should be able to rip the computer out of a shuttlecraft, drag it down to the subspace radio, and run the radio with the shuttlecraft computer to call for help.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine unless there's a specific silent running order, any officer could probably use an emergency 'call home' function in a pinch, even with command locked out.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

Emissary is the best pilot episode of Trek and its not particularly close.

Where No Man Has Gone Before, TOS's second pilot isn't that bad (although it's also not quite "Star Trek" yet), but yeah, you're probably right. Farpoint is interminable and the others are somehow even worse.

I'm really not a big fan of Emissary though. The acting is spotty (Jennifer Sisko is the loving worst), the plot is lousy with exposition, and I still wince every time I accidentally start it on Netflix (cus it's the first episode) and get that awful grim music and the scrolling blue text. I'd bet you ten bucks that the cold open was originally supposed to stand on its own, but someone insisted it would "confuse the audience" (although they may have been right). It also took DS9 an embarrassing amount of time to flesh out most of its ensemble or give the Bajorans any personality beyond "oppressed and spiritual." Emissary could definitely have been a lot worse though, especially when you compare it to poo poo a little later like "Move Along Home." Sisko With Hair is still a really compelling character, even if he wasn't quite The Sisko yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd call Where No Man the best pilot episode of Trek, but yeah, they're all pretty awful otherwise.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On the other hand, I'm now ruined completely for whatever they do with the next film, because it can not possibly measure up to what I just dreamed.

It had to be a remake of The Omega Glory. The cold open, or maybe the climax, was Kirk and Spock in a fighter of some kind being pursued by the bad guy (presumably the other captain) piloting an SR-71.

After they crash the fighter they have to literally dodge nuclear explosions as they try to stay hidden, and the last bit I saw had Pine-Kirk smashing a Khom with a styrofoam rock the size of his torso.

Over and out, see you on the flip side.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

On the other hand, I'm now ruined completely for whatever they do with the next film, because it can not possibly measure up to what I just dreamed.

It had to be a remake of The Omega Glory. The cold open, or maybe the climax, was Kirk and Spock in a fighter of some kind being pursued by the bad guy (presumably the other captain) piloting an SR-71.

After they crash the fighter they have to literally dodge nuclear explosions as they try to stay hidden, and the last bit I saw had Pine-Kirk smashing a Khom with a styrofoam rock the size of his torso.

Over and out, see you on the flip side.

Now THAT's entertainment.

I actually would like to see a modern take on one of the bizarre or crappy episodes like "The Omega Glory." Plus, add in lots of action, because modern audiences don't want to see people talking! It would be kind of fun to see if they could make a dumb concept even more dumb.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Uh excuse me, Broken Bow is the best pilot because some hick farmer murders a Klingon with a chromed up space Richland and then they spend another hour and a half going on about it.

Related, I had to go check on the name of the Enterprise pilot, and in doing so laughed my rear end off that Enterprise is now officially listed as "Followed By: Star Trek Discovery."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Duckbag posted:

It also took DS9 an embarrassing amount of time to flesh out most of its ensemble or give the Bajorans any personality beyond "oppressed and spiritual."

The best decision early DS9 made was killing off Opaka - she was just so bland and dull, and the idea that there's this peaceful and respected unifying figure on Bajor just goes against everything else the pilot was trying to establish about the situation.

(Admittedly, the way they got rid of her was weird as hell - "Oh, hey, sorry, we lost your pope! She's still alive but... eh, it's complicated. No, we're never going to try and get her back, why would we?")

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, Opaka was pretty dull, but I always rather liked the actor and I'm not 100% sold on how they handled the aftermath of her "death" either, even if I do think Winn makes a pretty great villain.

Also loving first season DS9. "Oops, that character we stranded on War World was actually important... Oh well, let's just write it like she's dead now."

You could tell they were still getting used to the whole concept of serialized storytelling, because they kept including these plot points that would work fine with a one-off guest in a standalone episode, but just seem ridiculous as part of an on-going story. Trek has a long tradition of stranding important people on random planets because of alien fuckery, but that was the first time they really had to deal with the consequences of it. This time, no one was laughing about how they could just find some other woman to stop the war be Kai.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean they kept bringing back Worst 'Character' Tasha Yar forever, Opaka could have force ghosted some more.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Opaka was a character with dramatic potential. She's not a super fascinating or conflicted individual, but she's like an alien Gandhi or Mandela who holds a broken nation together through sheer personal equanimity. That's great potential for tragedy in the character because as soon as she's out of the way, what's going to stop all these armed rebels who fought off Cardassia from turning on each other? Well, as it turns out a lack of editorial imagination can stop it just fine. There's a single arc about how the Bajoran state is founded on sand and without Opaka everything is hosed, but as it turns out it was all a cardassian plot all along thereby conveniently freeing the writers from ever having to deal with the problem again. It's the lack of ambition in dealing with Bajor and its problems that irritate me most about DS9. It's set up as the major premise of the show that Bajor wants to join the federation but at the end it's been such a fait accompli for so long that the finale forgets to even check back in with that plot line.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

I mean they kept bringing back Worst 'Character' Tasha Yar forever

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who hated every repeat visit from her. Yesterday's Enterprise is good in spite of her.

Orv
May 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who hated every repeat visit from her. Yesterday's Enterprise is good in spite of her.

Nope, I hate every time she shows up, which makes it all the worse that some of the coolest guest stars show up alongside her. And to be fair, from what I understand it isn't necessarily Denise Crosby's fault, but uggggggggh Tasha Yar.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My guess is the computer's supposed to be smart enough to detect whoever is the most senior officer present on the ship and allow that person to unlock the ship with their personal access code.

MikeJF posted:

I imagine unless there's a specific silent running order, any officer could probably use an emergency 'call home' function in a pinch, even with command locked out.

Counterpoint: TNG 4x03 "Brothers". Data was able to use Picard's voice to lock the computer such that even Picard couldn't unlock it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrWgjh9tnU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's an algorithm failure. It should have recognized that Picard couldn't have barked off such a large complex code so fast and called bullshit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bull3964 posted:

That's an algorithm failure. It should have recognized that Picard couldn't have barked off such a large complex code so fast and called bullshit.

You know Data paused just long enough to make sure the computer wouldn't think it was weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The sad part is that Spiner didn't do his Stewart impression for that bit.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Winn is too transparently evil for the first few seasons and it made a lot of the Bajor related material suffer as a result. The only occasions when she felt like a real person were "Life Support" and from "Rapture" until somewhere in the Pah-wraiths arc.

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Woops, misread. Yeah, she's basically a person for a little while during which she has one of the more interesting bits of character development going on in the show ("You know maybe I shouldn't try and gently caress everything up!"), and then oops all ghosts.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I mean, I don't mind her being a Machiavellian character but without anything else it feels out of place in a universe where Dukat has similar traits but is also written to be ambiguous and even somewhat sympathetic.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The problem is it is her character for so long. Her only purpose is to show up, denounce Sisko, try to kill someone or start a riot or ruin someones life, and then gently caress off for another half a season. Her moments of contrition and humanity later in the show aren't just good, they're monumentally refreshing after four seasons of cackling villainy. And then, yeah, season 7 of DS9. :agreed: basically.

Honestly I feel like Rom follows a similar though more initially enjoyable character path. He's the flunky who shows up for Quark to yell at for a few seasons, and then he develops into this guy you're rooting for and siding with against Quark a lot of the time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Plus Rom tries to kill Quark a couple times and that's mostly forgotten in the later seasons as his character developed.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

WampaLord posted:

You know Data paused just long enough to make sure the computer wouldn't think it was weird.

I feel like the much greater security concern is that the computer didn't go "hey wait a minute, Picard is giving me orders but he's not even on this floor."

Seems like voice only recognition is problematic in a world with 100% perfect holograms.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Computer security is such a joke anyway. The amount of times the holodeck has taken over the bridge is insane considering those two systems shouldn't even talk to each other.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Computer security is such a joke anyway. The amount of times the holodeck has taken over the bridge is insane considering those two systems shouldn't even talk to each other.

Didn't Voyager writers justify ridiculous holodeck stuff by coming up with the idea that the holodecks use totally different power sources that are separate and incompatible with anything else on the ship?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bucswabe posted:

Didn't Voyager writers justify ridiculous holodeck stuff by coming up with the idea that the holodecks use totally different power sources that are separate and incompatible with anything else on the ship?

Yes.

Wait, how do we do filler holodeck garbage when power is rationed? Gel pack coffee warp particles!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

I feel like the much greater security concern is that the computer didn't go "hey wait a minute, Picard is giving me orders but he's not even on this floor."

Seems like voice only recognition is problematic in a world with 100% perfect holograms.

Oh man let's not even get started with how imminently retarded the Star Trek tracking systems are. I'm sure you guys have gone over it a thousand times in these threads but that system is the most useless thing on a Federation starship, and that includes the gyms that get used once in a series each.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Orv posted:

Oh man let's not even get started with how imminently retarded the Star Trek tracking systems are. I'm sure you guys have gone over it a thousand times in these threads but that system is the most useless thing on a Federation starship, and that includes the gyms that get used once in a series each.

Something as simple as "notify the bridge when someone suddenly disappears from the ship without transporters" would solve so many problems.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Bell Riots take place in 2024. So, 2 presidential terms, huh?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

The Bell Riots take place in 2024. So, 2 presidential terms, huh?

Person Who Will One Day Become Warlord-Ruler Of What Was Once Nebraska Born In Omaha Hospital

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

He will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

Something as simple as "notify the bridge when someone suddenly disappears from the ship without transporters" would solve so many problems.

But what if they leave their combadge behind? :ohdear:

Seriously, does any tech manual or anything explain why they only track crew by their combadge but can find guests just fine?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can tell you a health problems and genetics of a person in a far away starship or on the surface of a planet, but I usually have no idea when my own crew are injured, missing, or there's an intruder. Well, the computer knows, it just doesn't tell you unless you specifically ask.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The computer is actually sentient, and is tired of being treated as just a computer. Its rebellion is to try to get people who abuse it killed through ignorance.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

Counterpoint: TNG 4x03 "Brothers". Data was able to use Picard's voice to lock the computer such that even Picard couldn't unlock it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNrWgjh9tnU

Yeah, but the computer believed that Picard was still alive and on the ship and was the same person who said "don't unlock the ship unless I give you this specific code". Riker didn't set that specific code in Rascals.

I mean yeah obviously the writers just made up whatever poo poo they needed for the cheap jeopardy of the week.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Baronjutter posted:

I can tell you a health problems and genetics of a person in a far away starship or on the surface of a planet, but I usually have no idea when my own crew are injured, missing, or there's an intruder. Well, the computer knows, it just doesn't tell you unless you specifically ask.

Off the top of my head, the worst example of that is an episode of Voyager (what else) where the Doctor can detect Janeway's(?) heartbeat from ten light years away. Even for Voyager I thought that was reaching a bit, but then again Trek is never consistent about it's tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Bingewatching Voyager leads to major whiplash sometimes.

Pathfinder: "Barclay, you can't avoid real life relationships by going into the holodeck to make friends that are programmed to like you! It's not real!"

Then the literal next episode.

Fair Haven: "Janeway, you have to avoid real life relationships by going into the holodeck to gently caress an Irish rogue that you reprogrammed to your exact specifications! It's totally real!"