Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

oh can you go into why?

It's the same therapeutic narrative where a struggling single mom helps the child to overcome trauma-aliens after the father's offscreen terror death. "Can I dream?" / "Yes, honey. I think we both can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I hope Trump doesn't actually cause the apocalypse I literally just started getting blowjobs and I'm not ready to give that up yet.

At least gimme until after I do my first 69.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Finally watched Apocalypse Now. Despite all the parodies and so on I've seen, I was not prepared for the Ride of the Valkyries scene. That was absolutely insane.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm torn.

On one hand, I dealt with old white dudes claiming to own businesses for literally two hours, ranting about how the recently marches were all "stupid black people who are pissed Trump is going to make america great again", and everyone at the bar wanting them to shut up (primarily because the population at the bar was predominantly black and women). And I accomplished that rather effectively.

On the other hand, them shutting up (and according to the text I just got, leaving) was caused by me waiting until they brought up an honest-to-god Benghazi rant, sighing and saying "It's a game of chess, who cares about the pawns?", which is rather a rude position to take about our armed forces. I don't actually have that mentality, I just wanted them to shut the gently caress up and figured putting up a big "STOP TALKING TO ME I NOBODY AROUND YOU AGREES" sign would work, which I remind you, worked.

On the gripping hand, christ, don't loving rant about politics at 10pm at a bar on a fuckin' Tuesday, assholes. You live in the bluest of Blue Illinois, shut up.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 25, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Snak posted:

I just don't know why I'm being attacked for agreeing that non-disruptive protest is pointless.

Edit: I didn't say dont punch nazis. I said its not effective at creating change. You have to hit them where itbhurts, and its not the faces of their footsoldiers. I cited a historical example of disruptive protest that was extremely effective.

Of course the church beating the irs was loving terrible. And yes, I know they did all that other lovely stuff also. But I thought that ultimately their psuedo-legal tactics proved effective. Unfortunately.

I don't give a poo poo if you go kill a bunch of nazis, but I don't feel like it's going to accomplish a whole lot.

Almost immediately after being punched Richard Spencer said he was afraid to do more public speaking engagements. Nazis should not be tolerated on any level, they are utterly toxic in every way and giving them even an inch is giving them too much because they will keep taking.

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is basically exactly what I'd do in his shoes. Except my picks would be a lot trashier since I am a low culture garbageman.

I was thinking the same thing. The whole time I was disappointed that he didn't grab House, the Brood, or that box set that has Body Snatcher from Hell. I appreciate his passion, but his picks were so hoity toity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Almost immediately after being punched Richard Spencer said he was afraid to do more public speaking engagements. Nazis should not be tolerated on any level, they are utterly toxic in every way and giving them even an inch is giving them too much because they will keep taking.

I was thinking the same thing. The whole time I was disappointed that he didn't grab House, the Brood, or that box set that has Body Snatcher from Hell. I appreciate his passion, but his picks were so hoity toity.

I'm not talking about tolarating nazis. I'm saying that punching nazis isn't a plan for effective change. By all means, go kill all the Nazis that you meet. But it won't fix everything. Sure a world with less nazis is almost always going to be be better.

I completely agree that Nazis shouldn't be tolarated AT ALL. But they are a symptom of a systemic problem. Treating it is necessary, but it won't solve the problem.

I guess that makes me a loving rear end in a top hat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snak posted:

I wasn't saying that at all. I'm just saying that in this particular instance punching a nazi had a very tangible positive result.

420 punch nazis everyday.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Nah, it wouldn't make you an rear end in a top hat. You're right in a high-concept way, but the lovely thing is that neo-nazis and their ilk aren't generally just going to go away. Sure, you'll read feel-good stories about one converting to basic humanity, but you're never going to get rid of them enough that they don't exist.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but the issue is that we'll never be rid of them. They can only be contained/mocked/punched.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

I wasn't saying that at all. I'm just saying that in this particular instance punching a nazi had a very tangible positive result.

420 punch nazis everyday.

Oh, we're pretty much on the same page then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I hope that eventually material conditions advance to the point that we have about as many nazis as we have believers in the divine right of kings.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IN OTHER NEWS.

Nazi Trumps gently caress Off t-shirts are back in stock on alternativetentacles.com

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The problem with trying to solve things by punching Nazis is that they'll just use it as an example of the how white people really out being oppressed and recruit more and strengthen the resolve of others. To be clear, I am 100% for punching Nazis but you need more than that

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hope that eventually material conditions advance to the point that we have about as many nazis as we have believers in the divine right of kings.

If we had the Divine Right of Kings, we wouldn't have Trump. Just sayin.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snak posted:

If we had the Divine Right of Kings, we wouldn't have Trump. Just sayin.

Yeah we'd probably have Jeb Bush instead

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Theory: punching nazis every chance you get will make them scared to reveal themselves and that will make it harder for them to gain legitimacy as a group

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

glam rock hamhock posted:

The problem with trying to solve things by punching Nazis is that they'll just use it as an example of the how white people really out being oppressed and recruit more and strengthen the resolve of others. To be clear, I am 100% for punching Nazis but you need more than that

I think most people would eventually equate the "being punched in the face" with "being a nazi" thing. The rest could be handled by face-punching.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jack Kirby was a big fan of Nazi face punching. Is one of you going to try and claim that you're better than Jack Kirby?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You need an axe. Beat 'em or burn 'em. They go up pretty easy.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
A Milo fanboy shot someone protesting his speech, but you know, liberals still want to drone on about if it's okay to punch a Nazi or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Slugworth posted:

Did you get a chance to ask if he murdered his wife? Because apparently the internet thinks he killed his wife.

Everyone knows that he's part of the vast Clinton serial murder conspiracy, just like anyone who's famous and questions Trump in any way.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Egbert Souse posted:

I think Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars after '77 and Empire now.

Same. It is actually the Star Wars movie I've waited my whole life for, and now that it's been made, I don't really feel the need for any more Star Wars movies.

Though I want to see Woody Harrelson as Han Solo's evil mentor or whatever.

Edit: I also want to see the movie where Woody Harrelson fights the Planet of the Apes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

wyoming posted:

A Milo fanboy shot someone protesting his speech, but you know, liberals still want to drone on about if it's okay to punch a Nazi or not.

The trouble is that you're trapped between outmoded forms of 'peaceful protest' and outbursts of equally-impotent physical force along the lines of punching people in the face.

What's difficult, but necessary, is violent speech. You need to speak more effectively. And that means, in part, that you need examine your premises.

Rudimentary antifascism against the Pepe meme kids already failed, months ago. You can't force this bad plan to work.

The problem with Hillary was not that she didn't care enough.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Peter gerety on sneaky pete...tiring to look at...SO stressed

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
All this argument about punching Nazis avoids the most important thing: punching Nazis is cool and good and should be encourage and applauded. If they find and arrest the guy who did it I am going to contribute to his legal fund

You just know that there are dozens of guys claiming credit in order to get left-wing girls into bed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's difficult, but necessary, is violent speech. You need to speak more effectively. And that means, in part, that you need examine your premises.
The problem with Hillary was not that she didn't care enough.

This is what always pissed me off about liberals laughing at Trump saying he had the best words.
Yeah, his words were crude, but they were blunt weapons, Clinton's response was just a wet paper bag of "America is already great. :shrug:"
Which is what all this talking about punching Nazis amounts to.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Clinton was fine with words but bad on ideas. The thing people don't want to admit about Trump is he got a large chunk of votes just because he actually talked about issues that concerned people while Clinton had loving nothing. As Wyoming indicated, a bunch of pissed off people don't want to hear about how things are actually great. It was embarrassing to see the left act all smug about having the more positive, rah rah America convention and even going so far as to brag that Obama gave a Reaganesque speech. Like, do you people have any loving idea who you're even pretending to be anyone?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated but I just saw what was essentially a sexy cannibalism movie that felt like an escalation from Wetlands. I don't even know what the gently caress but man it was something

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm mad-----------------------I'm mad that nothing is any good

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

wyoming posted:

This is what always pissed me off about liberals laughing at Trump saying he had the best words.
Yeah, his words were crude, but they were blunt weapons, Clinton's response was just a wet paper bag of "America is already great. :shrug:"
Which is what all this talking about punching Nazis amounts to.

Trump won the election 100% because he had the "best words." They were even arranged in a way to totally kill his opposition.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

therattle posted:

You just know that there are dozens of guys claiming credit in order to get left-wing girls into bed.

That's a much better strat than mine (I've been claiming I invented Pepe).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When did it happen that local weather people were required to be hot women?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You live in French-speaking Canada from what I understand so what's your impression of weather girls and/or anchorwomen from one lingual group based upon your broader experience, go ahead

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
The Intercept's Jeremy Scahill is hosting a podcast and its first episode went up this morning.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Josh Lyman posted:

Some are old men. But yeah it's usually one or the other. No older female meteorologists on tv.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I really need like an hour long video that consists entirely of Night Mind warning me in various ways that what I'm about to hear is highly disturbing and graphic, and that this is my last chance to turn back

He speaks like that even casually. His cadence is so bizarre.

Shoombo posted:

I probably have,I'm p. sure that I got the YouTube rip from somewhere on here, but it was a long time ago, and I only recently watched it. Was K. Waste even around at that time? I guess I'll go looking for the thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656237

I assumed you had seen it, otherwise how the hell would you have heard of Duck! The Carbine High Massacre. Anyway, here it is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mecha Gojira posted:

Same. It is actually the Star Wars movie I've waited my whole life for, and now that it's been made, I don't really feel the need for any more Star Wars movies.

Though I want to see Woody Harrelson as Han Solo's evil mentor or whatever.

Edit: I also want to see the movie where Woody Harrelson fights the Planet of the Apes.

Woody would fight with the Apes.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He speaks like that even casually. His cadence is so bizarre.

Speaking of bizarre cadence, I went down a well of sovereign citizen videos and found this guy who talks like Jedediah Springfield.

https://youtu.be/SQf3AAg_SWA?t=5m21s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQf3AAg_SWA

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Clinton was fine with words but bad on ideas.

"America is good, because America is great."

"I don't know who made Pokemon Go, but they should make Pokemon Go To The Polls"

Hillary's words were awful too, make no mistake about that.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Trump won the election 100% because he had the "best words." They were even arranged in a way to totally kill his opposition.

Felix of the Trap brought this up in an article, that poo poo like "Make America Sick Again" shows that we have trouble even approaching Trump because we're too insistent on using his own language to fight him, which shows just how much power we've given him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Every day there's not a new Night Mind I get sad

• Locked thread